Michelob Golden Draft Light - Anheuser-Busch

awful

Anheuser-Busch visit their website
Missouri, United States

Light Lager |  4.10% ABV

(Beer added by: kbub6f on 01-24-2002)
3.43/5  rDev +47.8%

I typically drink this one from the can. I poured it out into a glass for this occasion.

A - Clear, golden color, a consistent bead of carbonation running up the center of the glass.

S - I really dislike the smell of this. As such, it's much better from the can or bottle. It smells like a mix of malt, spoiled milk and aluminum. Still, not as bad as a beer like PBR, which smells like vitamin-rich urine to me.

T - I appreciate the clean, crisp taste. It's malty but not too sweet. Other beers with a similar balance taste like cardboard...but not this one. There's not much to dislike about it. It delivers an adequate kick in a sneaky, refreshing manner.

M - There's a lot of carbonation. It excites my tongue and causes me to salivate slightly. It's average for the light, lager style.

D - This one's very drinkable. Through the years, I've had several staple beers: Miller High Life, Coors Light, Budweiser Select and Michelob Light. But I keep coming back to Michelob Light. As long as you don't have your nose in it, the beer delivers and it isn't too sweet or strong tasting to serve as a fine staple beer.

ntillemans, Jan 09, 2008
3.4/5  rDev +46.6%

Being from the midwest and a current student of the University of Minnesota, Michelob Golden Draft Light is the finest beer I have ever tasted. This is indeed the most popular beer on campus and in Minnesota. A whole state can not be wrong. Mich Gold Light is one of the most refreshing, crisp tasting beers on the market. You can drink in the boat, in the fishing shack, or at a kegger. As the Replacments (from Minneapolis) sing "All I wanna do is drink beer for breakfast." No doubt they were singing about this beer. Mich Gold Light might not be a very full beer, but it sure is the best light beer on the market. I feel bad for the people who live on the coasts. It is indeed a smooth, premium beer.

TeamSeinfeld, Feb 13, 2004
3.3/5  rDev +42.2%

This beer was purchased at Hyvee in Ames, Iowa. I have never seen this beer sold in PA anywhere. I goto a lot of places that sell a large variety of different beers and I have never seen it. So, being a Michelob product I had to try it.

The beer tasted just like a watered down Michelob Lagar. It was very light in color and had a light taste to it, however you could taste that flavor that all the Michelob products have. I was good and if I were at a party, dinking a lot of beer, I could possibly drink it all night.

jrb1001, Jul 24, 2006
3.12/5  rDev +34.5%

I'll start off this review by saying that I do in fact like this beer. Some hate it, and that's commendable. But for me this beer is entirely drinkable and perfect when you're not in the mood for anything particular - and I've NEVER found a time I didn't thoroughly enjoy one.

Appearance - poured out and retains almost no head or lacing. Not surprising in this category, so I don't care.

Smell - Musty grains, sweet corn, metallic vegetable, small hint of overly ripe bananas and pineapple at the end.

Taste - Corn, flavored seltzer, aftertaste of wheat. Slightly sour but not off-putting. Easy drinking.

Mouthfeel - carbonated and ends dry.

Overall - For a "light" beer, this brew is terrific. It quenches thirst like a Gatorade and gives you a crisp, refreshing, dry resolve. This beer is great on hot days and is honestly my go-to when I feel like a beer but I don't want to dive into my craft stash or crack open a full-bodied beer. It goes well with everything and I almost always have some in my fridge. If I'm out, I get more. For that reason I have to give this beer a great review. (My "overall" score has more to do with the drinkability, accessibility, and my tendency to never get sick of this beer more than it has to do with a combination of the separate categories.) This fares better in glass bottles than in cans.

Michelob Golden Light is one of those rare favorites that has nothing special and everything right at the same time.

The-Adjunct-Hippie, Aug 07, 2014
3.1/5  rDev +33.6%

This is one of the most surprising beers I've ever drank.

Dark gold with a tight head. Nothing special, but nice. Much nicer than your average macro and even a few steps above regular Michelob.

A surprisingly strong smell, very crisp malt and grain. None of the usual foul barley odor found in AB products. Tastes pretty much like it smells, not very strong, but a nice, crisp malt that leave the palette clean.

Creamy, smooth mouthfeel and it goes down perfect. This is the kind of college kid beer that I wouldn't mind actually drinking every once in a while.

mynie, Dec 27, 2004
3.05/5  rDev +31.5%

pours a light golden color (duh) without hardly any head at all. has a cool faceted can. smell is non existent, i really can't smell anything at all. the taste is ok, as long as its cold, when i was first getting into beer, this was one of my favorites, but it was one that i could never get around where i live, so whenever i got to have some it was a big treat. now it isn't a big deal, but i tell you what i could drink about 11ty of these and still be ok. i still enjoy it every now and then, atleast for nostalgics

1fastz28, Mar 16, 2008

randa173, Mar 29, 2014

Whiskeydeez, Jan 24, 2012

twbeecher, Nov 15, 2011

Kpitevl, Jan 01, 2014

Its amazing how you will almost never find this beer anywhere out side Minnesota and the surrounding states. Pours a clear yellow color with almost no head and some slight lacing. Smells watered down and grassy. Taste? Tastes grainy, watered down, and a little malty. I drink this alot at campus partys and whatnot. I can tolerate it when I have to $5 for a cup. But I would never go out and buy it on my own.

ryantupy, Jul 07, 2006

KC9LDB, Nov 21, 2011
Photo of

You rated this beer. Add a review.

, Sep 07, 2012

benmafia17, Nov 18, 2012

Localdrinklax, Feb 16, 2012
2.95/5  rDev +27.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours clear, yellow/golden color. 1/3 inch head of white color. Decent retention and slight lacing. Smells of yeast, adjunct, pale malt, and slight hop. Fits the style of a Light Lager. Mouth feel is smooth and crisp with a high carbonation level. Tastes of grain, sweet malt, pale malt, yeast, and adjunct. Overall, a pretty average light lager.

Tone, Jul 08, 2009
2.88/5  rDev +24.1%

A can o' beer, found behind the couch.

A - Clear pale yellow color. Not as colorless as bud. Head is white and sits at a thick film. Hey what do we have here? Lacing all up and down the side of the glass! Some kind of anomaly in the glass?

S - Faint corn, wheaty smell, slightly bitter. Not as bad as bud.

T - Corny taste, slightly sweet. Slight metallic taste.

M - Thin consistency with elevated carbonation.

D - Better than bud, I'd say it's on par with PBR.

umustdrink, Mar 30, 2007
2.85/5  rDev +22.8%

For me this a review long time coming. To begin, I can't say a hate this beer, if it wasn't for Michelob Golden Light, I may have never got into beer.
I was at a party a couple years ago and I was chilling with this chick. We were talking and sharing our dislike for beer (at this time I had never had really anything besides keg beer, which I had a great disdain for.). Then she mentioned a beer she had that you couldn't get in Missouri and we went to her fridge and she brought out a bottle which we shared, the bottle was Michelob Golden Light. I immediately did a double take, this was a beer that didn't taste like ass, it was very easy to drink and decent tasting. The next day I decided to explore my local grocery store for beer and see what other options I had out in the world, I purchased a sixer of Boulevard Wheat and that was it. My origin story for why I love beer. One could also argue that I never would have gotten into beer if it wasn't for that girl, but that's beside the point.
I haven't really said anything about that the beer and there's a reason for that; there's not a lot to say. I mean, the beer has a decent taste, pours rather well, the head quickly disappears though, but it's easily drinkable and not a bad drink, its super clear like a water and well, its' almost a water. This is a beer you don't drink because you want the complex taste of a beer; this is a beer you drink at a party. Something that's easy to drink, light and will get you a bit tipsy (if you drink like 8). It's also easier to carry around a party then a Chimay (trust me, I've tried it).
I can't hate this beer, I have a special place in my heart for it, but I can't throw praise at it either. The beer is decent. It serves a purpose, but is nothing to praise from the rooftops about. If you never try it, you're not missing anything, but if I never tried it I may have missed everything.

FernMaster, Aug 22, 2009
2.85/5  rDev +22.8%

I had this beer at a friend's house after the baseball game. Normally not my thing, but when am I going to get another opportunity to try it, so I said, "why not?"

The appearance is okay. Very light and golden with some prickle and not much head, but no less than a lot of beers. A little light lace/foam.

The smell is not really my deal. There is something about the american macros that make me think of flat keg beer in college. Its probably my own issue, so I try not to crush beers for this nose.

Taste is really just there. Mild hops and grain. The malt is pretty simple and light, but I am actually impressed that you know its there. It is also possible that I am getting better at detecting what is in the beers I drink than I was years ago.

The mouthfeel is a little more thickish than I would want for a beer like this. If I am going "super light" I want it "super crisp." Don't confuse me by trying to give me a full bodied mouthfeel in a light body beer.

Drinkability was fine. I got it down with no problem. Towards the end as it warmed up it started to get less drinkable though. Drink 'em cold and drink 'em fast and you will be okay.

Ragingbull, Aug 02, 2009