Michelob Golden Draft Light - Anheuser-Busch

awful

Anheuser-Busch visit their website
Missouri, United States

Light Lager |  4.10% ABV

(Beer added by: kbub6f on 01-24-2002)
2.85/5  rDev +23.4%

Poured from the bottle, beer is a clear, light golden color with a thin white effervescent head. Smell is pretty typical of a macro light lager, just a slight sweetness of grainy malt. Taste is also of corn malt and adjuncts. As a light beer, it has the mouthfeel of water as I had expected. This is a drinkable light beer, nothing special... so it fits the profile. I would however drink this beer over bud light if I had the choice.

gmfessen, Mar 01, 2007
2.83/5  rDev +22.5%

Appearance: Pale yellow and bubbly with a briefly appearing soapy head.

Smell: Muted grain.

Taste: Watery, with hints of grain and a muted background sweetness.

Mouthfeel: Crisp and carbonated.

Drinkability: This beer is not offensive and you can't spend the whole day & night drinking Russian Imperial Stouts can you? Also a perfect compliment to a Bloody Mary. Very easy to drink.

JackieTH, Sep 07, 2010
2.8/5  rDev +21.2%

beenfishin21, Sep 23, 2014
2.8/5  rDev +21.2%

Poured in a pint glass.

Once upon a time, this was one of the best beers I'd ever had, not so much anymore, but it's still a step above most macro beers and currently the only thing from Micelob that I even mildly enjoy.

A: Pours a pale but luminescent yellow with a tad bit of quickly dissapating head that leaves little to no lacing. It's also extremely carbonated, which I've been thinking about recently.

I'm starting to think that a lot of your more popular beers (Bud, Miller, Micelob, etc.) are really designed in many ways to appeal to soda drinkers. Extremely carbonated with sweet, inoffensive taste in macro beers have recently reminded me of drinking a soda. Maybe, maybe not. But it would be a good way to get younger people to start drinking beer and going back to a product. Just a random thought.

S: Not much of anything. Mildly sweet and fruity.

T: Yeast, grain, mild hops. It's a little sweet. Nothing too substantial, but neither offensive, which, considering the beer and its market, is actually serious points.

M: Watery with extreme carbonation. This is fine, but what I don't like is that afterwards, it leaves my mouth feeling very dry on and behind my tongue. It makes me want more to drink, so maybe this is on purpose.

D: This is mostly what I like about the beer: it goes down very easy without anyhting there to offend the tastebuds. I like to keep a lot of these macro beers in the bottle, making the beer a little more substantial and easier to drink.

mmva321, Nov 15, 2009
2.76/5  rDev +19.5%

Wiscodrinker, Aug 30, 2014

beaversfan12, Sep 25, 2013
2.75/5  rDev +19%

For some reason, this beer isn't available in St. Louis, so it has gained an almost 'urban leagend' appeal in my neck of the woods. Old loyalties to AB die hard sometimes.

Anyway....

Appearance - yellow to gold, clear as hell, Quickly disappearing foam with no lacing.

Smell like sweet water and corn.

Taste pretty good for what it is. Light grains, subtle aftertaste.

Mouthfeel is thin, watery.

Overall, this is probably AB best brew. Buy some and serve to your freeloading freinds.

Illtryit, May 06, 2011
2.75/5  rDev +19%

I feel like getting on my knees and kowtowing to the west, to Minnesota, specifically. My dear trading partner, Chaz, has sent me some of the more seemingly elusive beers from The CANQuest (TM) and although they may not be truly enjoyable, I am having fun with each and every one of them. Rock on, brother!

From the CAN: "Smooth Tasting Premium Draft"; "A premium cold-filtered draft beer with the exceptionally smooth taste you expect from Michelob".

You CANnot expect much from this style or you will be sorely disappointed. I expect very little and so these types of beers usually live down to my expectations. I got (maybe) a finger of bone-white head from my Glug, but while I was typing, it vanished into the atmosphere. Color was a light lemon-yellow and it had the transparency of one of the slides that I plan to use on the overhead projector tomorrow. Come on, give me something to work with! Throw this dog a bone so that he may do so in return. Nose smelled like watery silage which, in case you are just tuning in, is the fermented corn cobs stored in silos for feeding pigs later on after the harvest season. It is sweetish and actually not off-putting until you smell it in glass after glass of beer. Mouthfeel was thin and watery and I was beginning to doubt my objectiveness at this point. By Gar, I have reviewed this beer in one of its forms or another on a seemingly endless basis, which is why many have begun to question my sanity. Finish was equally thin and watery and I thought wistfully of the O'Doul's Amber that I had just finished, which others had dunned and I had enjoyed. I did not enjoy this. I would not waste cooler space on this. What more needs to be said?

woodychandler, Oct 16, 2011

Hop-Droppen-Roll, Jul 26, 2014

richaa01, Mar 18, 2014
2.75/5  rDev +19%

I used to drink this beer quite a bit a few years ago before focusing on craft beer. My wife still likes this one a lot so I thought I should give it a review. A 12 ounce can with 21FEB06 and BF04 on the bottom, poured into a pilsner glass

A—pours golden yellow with a fizzy 1 inch head that fades away quickly, very slight lacing is produced around the glass

S—corn, straw, wheat, hay, grass, slightly sour, a touch sweet as well

T—hmm, nothing really sticking out, just a blend of grains, nothing offensive at all

M—thin, pretty flat actually, light bodied

D—my tastes have changed quite a bit over the past few years…not liking this one as much as I remember…needs more flavor, just too light. Still, it could do on a hot summer day by the pool.

hanco005, Apr 14, 2006

Tyecko, Jul 25, 2014

karlt, Jul 29, 2013
2.73/5  rDev +18.2%
look: 2.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

A - Crystal clear yellow color with clean white head. Head quickly fades and leaves no lacing. Looks like a typical American light beer.

S - Huh? Nothing other than some graininess.

T - Adjuncts dominate. Think it is the corn.

M/D - Overly carbonated and very thin. Drinkable beer if you are just looking to drink some beers.

ckeegan04, Apr 15, 2008
2.68/5  rDev +16%

I drink this all the time for drinking games and beer pong... it's my favorite "cheap" beer, although i know it isnt very good. I've had this beer on tap, in the bottle, and in the can.

pours a clear light golden color, a bit darker than other domestic light beers. lots of carbonation.

smell isnt very appealing. almost smells like it has been sitting out for a while, even though the can was just cracked and poured.

taste is rather watery, it has more taste than some other domestic light beers, but still has nothing that jumps out at me.

mouthfeel is somewhat carbonated, goes down somewhat easy, but that is because it lacks a lot of flavor.

drinkability?? This is good for me when im playing drinking games and have to drink fast. it goes down pretty easily, and doesnt fill me up to quickly.

I'd also like to add that I've never gotten a hangover from drinking this beer excessively.

ThePeskyDingo, Feb 19, 2009
2.65/5  rDev +14.7%

Thanks to cpolking for sending this beer. Poured from a 12 oz. can. Has a pale yellow color with a 1/2 inch head. Smell is very mild, some sweetness to it. Taste is also mild, a touch of sweet malts, light and easy drinking. Feels light in the mouth and while nothing offensive, there is nothing to separate it from other light beers.

tone77, Apr 14, 2012
2.65/5  rDev +14.7%

A good light version of it's full flavored brother. Poured out to a decent golden yellow color, with a weak head, no notes of lace around the glass. Odors were watery, but consisted of hops and grain, with corn in the background. Flavor was consistant with odor, corn, weak hops and a note of tartness. Finished crisp and well for a light lager. Worth a try for light lager fans.

Frozensoul327, Aug 17, 2005
2.6/5  rDev +12.6%

Poured a translucent yellow with a big, foamy head. No retention or lacing. Smells like you typical AAL, except lighter, with the usual cereal grains, and a touch more corn sweetness. Tastes the same as the scent. Corn sweetness is the biggest flavor here, and helps detract from the otherwise fairly bad taste. Very light, not quite as carbonated as other cheap lagers, and easy to drink.

Overall, a regional beer that I think might have success elsewhere outside of the midwest.

boilermakerbrew, Jul 11, 2012
2.53/5  rDev +9.5%

12 fl oz. can, with canned on date August 16, 2014 printed on the bottom of the can. Another cheap adjunct riddled beer from Anheuser-Busch. Gifted to me from my neighbor. Thanks, I guess.

Poured into a La Fin Du Monde tulip glass.

A - It pours a clear gold colored body with about a finger of fizzy white head that thins to a ring. It doesn't look horrible, but it's nothing special. 3

S - The smell is comprised of the usual suspects - cheap adjuncts / grains / wheat, yeasty, with some alcohol fumes & a slight sour note. 2.5

T - Taste is the same - grainy / wheaty / corny / adjuncty. A very generic "beer" sort of aftertaste; it actually reminds me a bit of Miller Lite at times. Not offensive, but there isn't much going on here. 2.5

M - The feel is crisp and clean. Exceptionally smooth and easy drinking with the low 4.10% abv. 2.5

Overall, it is what it is - another cheap inoffensive light adjunct lager. Definitely drinkable, but not unique or memorable. Would I have it again? I suppose so, but I definitely wouldn't go out of my way for it. Another tick from the bottom of the barrel with plenty more to go!

Michelob Golden Light -----2.5/5

mfnmbvp, Sep 11, 2014
2.53/5  rDev +9.5%

Served in 12 oz clear bottle (the ridges are kinda cool?)

A - What you would expect from a macro light lager. Light golden color. Little head.

S - Also typical of a macro light lager. Not much too it.

T - Despite its bad rap, the taste isn't all that repulsive.

M - Heavy carbonation, very light and watery.

D - Once again, a very drinkable macro light lager. Enjoying it on the other hand is a different story.

Another cheap buzz. It is what it is.

Mistofminn, Dec 10, 2008
2.53/5  rDev +9.5%

A- Golden color typical of the adjuncts. Some white head, but fades rapidly.

S- Sweet, corny, not too metallic at all, which is a nice change from other macros. Nothing special.

T- It has more flavor than other light beers, IMO. Again sweet, corn flavors dominate. Just a hint of hops in the finish (or is it my imagination?).

M- Like a soda.

D- Definitely good for a kegger or drinking games. Do I really enjoy it though? Not a ton, but a little.

LordAdmNelson, Jun 01, 2009