Michelob Golden Draft Light - Anheuser-Busch

awful

Anheuser-Busch visit their website
Missouri, United States

Light Lager |  4.10% ABV

(Beer added by: kbub6f on 01-24-2002)
Illtryit

2.75/5  rDev +18.5%

For some reason, this beer isn't available in St. Louis, so it has gained an almost 'urban leagend' appeal in my neck of the woods. Old loyalties to AB die hard sometimes.

Anyway....

Appearance - yellow to gold, clear as hell, Quickly disappearing foam with no lacing.

Smell like sweet water and corn.

Taste pretty good for what it is. Light grains, subtle aftertaste.

Mouthfeel is thin, watery.

Overall, this is probably AB best brew. Buy some and serve to your freeloading freinds.

05-05-2011 23:34:40 | More by Illtryit
mrseano

2.35/5  rDev +1.3%

A: Very light straw golden color

S: Not much here. Straw, grain.

T: Refreshing but too bland. Little grain and grass.

M: Very light and watery. Felt like drinking fizzy carbonated, lightly flavored water.

O: Cheap, easy-to-consume but not fun to taste beer. Such low alcohol and taste content that it finishes quickly before you realize it. Did taste better than Bud, however, as I tasted the two alongside each other to compare.

04-18-2011 04:53:43 | More by mrseano
Wasatch

Utah

1.95/5  rDev -15.9%

Pours a nice clean/clear yellow color, nice carbonation, small white head, with some minimal sticky lacing left behind. The nose is slightly malty, grainy, and ricy. The taste is malty, slightly sweet, with too much grains/rice. Light Body. A thirst quencher only.

04-03-2011 23:42:11 | More by Wasatch
arvjunk

1.05/5  rDev -54.7%

Appearance - poured in a pint glass, light golden yellow, thick fluffy white head. Goes away almost as fast as it came

Smell - muted, grassy, boring. Nothing special about and about what you expect

Taste - it has that weird quality that comes from the corn being a major part of the recipe. It's a little funky, kind of buttery and really weird (for me at least). There isn't anything in the taste that is appealing to me

Mouthfeel - smooth and creamy. Carbonation is prickly on the tongue

Overall - there is absolutely nothing about this beer that is enjoyable for me. I don't judge those that enjoy it, but it is not for me

04-03-2011 09:23:13 | More by arvjunk
Snow81

2.45/5  rDev +5.6%

Appearance: Light yellow, golden!

Smell: Heavy grassy with a hint of a skunk note

Head: big white head, but dies out quickly

Taste: Grassy with a hint of skunk

Weight: very light washes down fast medium carbonation

Finish: Skunk, light grassiness, if you ask me if I want another, no thank you

03-19-2011 03:19:09 | More by Snow81
mikesgroove

South Carolina

1.63/5  rDev -29.7%

in my never ending quest to try the best and worst, i stumple upon this one.

poured into my glass the lightest of pale yellow the fizzy white head quickly reaches two inches before settling back down. light touches of corn and grain are all the things you can find and they get old might, might quick. light feel, is almost absent of any kind of flavor in the finish

overall they are almost all the same and universally just ehh. ut what can you do.

03-05-2011 18:54:24 | More by mikesgroove
ForWhatAlesYou

1.7/5  rDev -26.7%

A: Light yellow color as to be expected of this style though not as drab or depressing as some.

S: Nothing but light grain.

T: Slight banana. Non-descript grain (corn, wheat, rice). A strange tang I assume is supposed to be hops?

M: Light and refreshing. Not much to note. Medium carbonation.

D: Like most light macro-brews this drinks like unflavored mineral water. I only review it because it is technically a beer.

12-28-2010 16:59:29 | More by ForWhatAlesYou
thedouger

3.45/5  rDev +48.7%

Now don't get me wrong here on the rating. I love Eastern European Ale, such as Belhaven, Stouts and New Castle and dark Mexican beers but have switched to only drinking them sometimes. Working one the low-carb diet and low cal beers to try to maintain weight. Tried all of them that I know of and Bud 55 is water tastes like it, MGD 64 is little better but not much and is somewhat drinkable. The Mich Golden Light is better than the previous 2 except Mich Ultra Light. Better taste and does not make you feel as your drinking water. That's not saying much but, remember I am comparing the Mich GL to those low-carb beers low calorie beers. In the real world of real beers it pretty much sucks too but there you go.

12-04-2010 12:46:16 | More by thedouger
jera1350

1.6/5  rDev -31%

Extremely pale yellow body with a fizzy white head that shrinks down quickly.

Cheap graininess, a bit earthy and a hint of banana at the end.

The taste is so bland and watered down that it's really hard to pick out any flavor whatsoever. Light grain, little sweetness and that's about it. I've had well water with more flavor.

Thin and watered down with light bubbly carbonation that is almost fuzzy feeling.

Nothing good to be had from this one. Not worth even a try.

10-26-2010 20:52:49 | More by jera1350
drizzam

Wisconsin

Poured from the clear bottle into a clear pint glass. Bears the "Born on date" of May 18, 2010.

A - Poured a clear, very light straw in color. An aggressive pour yielded a thinnish white head. Head retention was not very good and it left very little in terms of lacing.

S - Doesn't smell particularly appealing...a little bit of weak cooked corn, not much going on here (and I had to strain to get that).

T & M - Well, it certainly feels like I'm hydrating as I drink this. I have to go back and review a macro like this every now and again to really appreciate the craft beer scene I think. Maybe a little corn, maybe a little grain, certainly a lot of water! Mouthfeel is thin and watery, highly carbonated and thus a bit abrasive.

D - The only reason I had this in my fridge was because I was entertaining a girl that can't drink the "thick and gross" craft beer I drink. I would not recommend this to anybody and feel like I've insulted my taste buds by even pouring this in my mouth. Call me a "beer snob" if you will, I just enjoy more flavorful beer.

10-03-2010 23:40:44 | More by drizzam
JackieTH

2.83/5  rDev +22%

Appearance: Pale yellow and bubbly with a briefly appearing soapy head.

Smell: Muted grain.

Taste: Watery, with hints of grain and a muted background sweetness.

Mouthfeel: Crisp and carbonated.

Drinkability: This beer is not offensive and you can't spend the whole day & night drinking Russian Imperial Stouts can you? Also a perfect compliment to a Bloody Mary. Very easy to drink.

09-07-2010 14:10:49 | More by JackieTH
bsp77

1.73/5  rDev -25.4%

Serving glass: Poured from can into Pint glass.

Appearance: Clear golden with a surprisingly sustained stark white bubbly head. That said, the strange neon cast to the color is distracting.

Smell: Muted grainy malts with lots of corn. Slight hay and spice.

Taste: Very little, mostly sweet grains (corn) with a small hay-like balance. virtually no hops.

Feel: High carbonation, very light body. Too much like carbonated water.

Drinkability: Not worth it.

06-29-2010 18:04:03 | More by bsp77
drabmuh

Maryland

2.13/5  rDev -8.2%

Nothing is quite as much fun as drinking with your in laws and being called a snob. So I drank what they were drinking. Stupid of me but I still bet my rDev will be high on this.

Beer served in a pilsner glass. Beer is yellow and clear and forms a thin white head of small bubbles that falls away leaving no lacing on the glass. Carbonation is moderate and steady. Looks like beer.

Aroma is flat and grainy with a strong corn element. Smells like precursor to a lot of piss or the floor of a baseball stadium bathroom, the kind where you pee on a pile of ice in the middle of a bathtub sized troth wtih 10 other guys you don't know.

Grainy, thin, slightly dry, thin, aftertaste, thin. I call these beers road sodas to encourage people to drink and drive. There's nothing to it, nothing to say. There's probably trace formaldehyde in this beer slowly giving the consumers cancer. Time for some bad beer epidemiology.

06-23-2010 18:37:38 | More by drabmuh
LightEnthusiast

South Dakota

1.45/5  rDev -37.5%

Definitely wouldn't drink this again. I had this while shooting pool with a friend and I remember it was hard for me to finish which isn't normal for me and beers.

Corn-water smell, grains.

Tastes upfront like a sugary corn mixture with a clashing disaster of bitter grains and rough malt. Finishes extremely watery as the rest of the substance dissolves; kind of like a bottle of Aquafina, only less satisfying.

Mouthfeel was not impressive and was rather bitter if I remember correctly. Corny water leaving an ugly aftertaste.

This beer tastes like the kind that you always hope to avoid but inevitably experience every once in awhile. The only good thing was that there was minimal skunk. Unfortunately that doesn't redeem this beer much.

Never again, I say!

04-16-2010 04:06:26 | More by LightEnthusiast
mothman

United Kingdom (Wales)

2.03/5  rDev -12.5%

REVIEW 800!

Poured into Das Boot.

Poured very vigorously yielding about 8 fingers of creamy off white head. With all the head, it is hard not to have decent retention. Color is a clear golden yellow.

Aroma: Smells of massive corn. The wide opening in the glass allows for maximum aroma. Low level of grassy hops. Do they triple hop brew this one? Maybe they should. Maybe some rice flavors.

Taste: With the heavy glass, it is pretty hard to drink out of. I get a lot of corn flavors and low level of grassy hops. These are the hops that probably get thrown out of other breweries for being too old. It is very bland.

Mouthfeel: Crisp and bubbly. Lots of carbonation with a light bodied. Ends very grainy and dry.

Overall, this is nothing special, but a solid go to cheap macro. Easy drinking and light as can be. I did a das boot to finish this one off. Great drinkability.

04-09-2010 02:06:32 | More by mothman
fizzy

2.5/5  rDev +7.8%

Notice the Drinkability factor for this beer. I usually buy this when I have an obligation for somebody, either a neighbor or somebody in the shipping dept at work. The fact that west central Minnesota seems stuck on this "beer" doesn't seem to matter in the least.

I have to admit to one thing about this beer. On a very, very, hot afternoon after cutting the lawn, trimming the trees, walking the dogs, putting new plugs in the car, changing the oil in the same car, rotating the tires on the same car, taking the dogs for a walk again, moving the hoses on the garden, oh, crap, I forgot to mention pushing the trim mower all around the back yard, THIS BEER REALLY FILLS THE BILL, AND I CAN DRINK A 6er

04-02-2010 00:20:17 | More by fizzy
AmberMan22

1.9/5  rDev -18.1%

Had this on tap, thinking it was $1...much to my dismay that special ended 30 minutes ago.

Pours a light golden color, nice head on it.

Smell is basically non-existent...which is better than it being skunky or noticeably terrible.

Taste is fairly generic, and weak overall. Some faint hops occasionally poke through, but there really isn't a whole lot to this guy. No wonder my friends can put it away like no one's business...this is way better than Natty Light.

M & D: carbonation is way too strong, aside from that...watery thin. I guess this scores decently on drinkability because it's bound to not offend anyone's taste buds.

You might rather drink something else, but its just too boring to be that bad.

03-10-2010 15:59:30 | More by AmberMan22
darklordlager

Wisconsin

1.7/5  rDev -26.7%

Michelob Golden Light
A: Poured into a pint glass a lemon yellow colour with a 1/2" bright white head after a vigourous pour. Lively cabonation bubbles from the bottom as the head disintegrates. Looks very crisp, not off-putting.

S: Lightly fruity lager yeast and corn. Perhaps a bit of lighter pale malt, but that's about it.

T: Tastes liked carbonated water infused with corn-sugar extract. Odd fake-sugar sweetness upfront which morphs into the corny, excessively carbonated watery finish. Twangy/aluminium taste comes about as it warms a bit. The corn becomes increasingly grainy as it warms a bit as well. Odd mild sourness permeates the character of this beer.

M: Lively carbonation, and extremely light body.

D: Really--although perhaps as a newly initiated college student I may have thought this palatable--it is absolutely horrible. Adjuncts combined with a few other unidentified ingredients make an attempt to make this tasteless, but end up making it taste like watered-down corn and grain. Not my finest beer tasting moment.

01-24-2010 09:53:12 | More by darklordlager
Nichts

3.63/5  rDev +56.5%

I was impressed with the beer's fruity/slightly sweet character. The smoothness of this particular beer was also very enjoyable. I found the fruit hard to narrow down, at times it seemed citrusy and others hinted of berry. Overall the fruity taste wasn't overbearing to the extreme that some other fruit beers have (which is great since this isn't really a fruit beer in the conventional sense). Would definitely drink again, even if it isn't my favorite style of beer.

11-24-2009 03:20:06 | More by Nichts
mmva321

2.8/5  rDev +20.7%

Poured in a pint glass.

Once upon a time, this was one of the best beers I'd ever had, not so much anymore, but it's still a step above most macro beers and currently the only thing from Micelob that I even mildly enjoy.

A: Pours a pale but luminescent yellow with a tad bit of quickly dissapating head that leaves little to no lacing. It's also extremely carbonated, which I've been thinking about recently.

I'm starting to think that a lot of your more popular beers (Bud, Miller, Micelob, etc.) are really designed in many ways to appeal to soda drinkers. Extremely carbonated with sweet, inoffensive taste in macro beers have recently reminded me of drinking a soda. Maybe, maybe not. But it would be a good way to get younger people to start drinking beer and going back to a product. Just a random thought.

S: Not much of anything. Mildly sweet and fruity.

T: Yeast, grain, mild hops. It's a little sweet. Nothing too substantial, but neither offensive, which, considering the beer and its market, is actually serious points.

M: Watery with extreme carbonation. This is fine, but what I don't like is that afterwards, it leaves my mouth feeling very dry on and behind my tongue. It makes me want more to drink, so maybe this is on purpose.

D: This is mostly what I like about the beer: it goes down very easy without anyhting there to offend the tastebuds. I like to keep a lot of these macro beers in the bottle, making the beer a little more substantial and easier to drink.

11-15-2009 05:03:43 | More by mmva321
FernMaster

2.85/5  rDev +22.8%

For me this a review long time coming. To begin, I can't say a hate this beer, if it wasn't for Michelob Golden Light, I may have never got into beer.
I was at a party a couple years ago and I was chilling with this chick. We were talking and sharing our dislike for beer (at this time I had never had really anything besides keg beer, which I had a great disdain for.). Then she mentioned a beer she had that you couldn't get in Missouri and we went to her fridge and she brought out a bottle which we shared, the bottle was Michelob Golden Light. I immediately did a double take, this was a beer that didn't taste like ass, it was very easy to drink and decent tasting. The next day I decided to explore my local grocery store for beer and see what other options I had out in the world, I purchased a sixer of Boulevard Wheat and that was it. My origin story for why I love beer. One could also argue that I never would have gotten into beer if it wasn't for that girl, but that's beside the point.
I haven't really said anything about that the beer and there's a reason for that; there's not a lot to say. I mean, the beer has a decent taste, pours rather well, the head quickly disappears though, but it's easily drinkable and not a bad drink, its super clear like a water and well, its' almost a water. This is a beer you don't drink because you want the complex taste of a beer; this is a beer you drink at a party. Something that's easy to drink, light and will get you a bit tipsy (if you drink like 8). It's also easier to carry around a party then a Chimay (trust me, I've tried it).
I can't hate this beer, I have a special place in my heart for it, but I can't throw praise at it either. The beer is decent. It serves a purpose, but is nothing to praise from the rooftops about. If you never try it, you're not missing anything, but if I never tried it I may have missed everything.

08-22-2009 05:30:21 | More by FernMaster
Ragingbull

2.85/5  rDev +22.8%

I had this beer at a friend's house after the baseball game. Normally not my thing, but when am I going to get another opportunity to try it, so I said, "why not?"

The appearance is okay. Very light and golden with some prickle and not much head, but no less than a lot of beers. A little light lace/foam.

The smell is not really my deal. There is something about the american macros that make me think of flat keg beer in college. Its probably my own issue, so I try not to crush beers for this nose.

Taste is really just there. Mild hops and grain. The malt is pretty simple and light, but I am actually impressed that you know its there. It is also possible that I am getting better at detecting what is in the beers I drink than I was years ago.

The mouthfeel is a little more thickish than I would want for a beer like this. If I am going "super light" I want it "super crisp." Don't confuse me by trying to give me a full bodied mouthfeel in a light body beer.

Drinkability was fine. I got it down with no problem. Towards the end as it warmed up it started to get less drinkable though. Drink 'em cold and drink 'em fast and you will be okay.

08-02-2009 17:01:00 | More by Ragingbull
jecartier

3.6/5  rDev +55.2%

This is my favorite cheap beer. Why? Well its not particularly distinctive, but its crisp, refreshing, no off flavors, and no rot-gut. Throw it in a cooler full of ice/water, provide it to your undiscerning friends, and enjoy a sunny day on the lake. Heck, I throw a lime in it (I know, I know, I shouldn't fruit the beer and normally I don't) and its a lot cheaper than all those clear bottled "Mexican" lagers. It's an American Macro, but so what? Mich Golden Light is good for the type of beer that it is.

07-28-2009 22:33:20 | More by jecartier
Tone

2.95/5  rDev +27.2%

Pours clear, yellow/golden color. 1/3 inch head of white color. Decent retention and slight lacing. Smells of yeast, adjunct, pale malt, and slight hop. Fits the style of a Light Lager. Mouth feel is smooth and crisp with a high carbonation level. Tastes of grain, sweet malt, pale malt, yeast, and adjunct. Overall, a pretty average light lager.

07-08-2009 01:16:31 | More by Tone
LordAdmNelson

2.53/5  rDev +9.1%

A- Golden color typical of the adjuncts. Some white head, but fades rapidly.

S- Sweet, corny, not too metallic at all, which is a nice change from other macros. Nothing special.

T- It has more flavor than other light beers, IMO. Again sweet, corn flavors dominate. Just a hint of hops in the finish (or is it my imagination?).

M- Like a soda.

D- Definitely good for a kegger or drinking games. Do I really enjoy it though? Not a ton, but a little.

06-01-2009 20:08:56 | More by LordAdmNelson