Michelob Golden Draft Light - Anheuser-Busch

Light Lager |  4.10% ABV

Beer added by: kbub6f on 01-24-2002

Ratings: 266 | Reviews: 106
3.25/5  rDev +37.7%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

I've only had this on tap so I can't say anything about any other formats. There's nothing wrong with the flavor. It is pretty light, but that makes it really easy to drink.

4.84/5  rDev +105.1%

Easy to drink any day of the week.

3.44/5  rDev +45.8%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.5

This is an excellent light beer. Way better than Bud or Coors. Has a nice, crisp taste, though it is watery. Supremely smooth. My favorite light beer besides Sam Adams Light.

3.79/5  rDev +60.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

From a 12oz ice cold bottle. Clean and refreshing. Not much beer flavor. Slightly metallic. This is what I grew up on so I can't hate it. Still a good beer, goes down way to easy, could easily drink about 10

1.68/5  rDev -28.8%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 1.25 | overall: 1.5

Watered down beer. Almost seems skunky. Will only drink when it is free.

4.18/5  rDev +77.1%
look: 4.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I absolutely love this beer, it explains my name

3.24/5  rDev +37.3%

Best light beer money can buy.

3.75/5  rDev +58.9%

For the style, and cheapness, my favorite one out there. Would much rather drink this in bulk than bud light or miller any day.

2.53/5  rDev +7.2%

12 fl oz. can, with canned on date August 16, 2014 printed on the bottom of the can. Another cheap adjunct riddled beer from Anheuser-Busch. Gifted to me from my neighbor. Thanks, I guess.

Poured into a La Fin Du Monde tulip glass.

A - It pours a clear gold colored body with about a finger of fizzy white head that thins to a ring. It doesn't look horrible, but it's nothing special. 3

S - The smell is comprised of the usual suspects - cheap adjuncts / grains / wheat, yeasty, with some alcohol fumes & a slight sour note. 2.5

T - Taste is the same - grainy / wheaty / corny / adjuncty. A very generic "beer" sort of aftertaste; it actually reminds me a bit of Miller Lite at times. Not offensive, but there isn't much going on here. 2.5

M - The feel is crisp and clean. Exceptionally smooth and easy drinking with the low 4.10% abv. 2.5

Overall, it is what it is - another cheap inoffensive light adjunct lager. Definitely drinkable, but not unique or memorable. Would I have it again? I suppose so, but I definitely wouldn't go out of my way for it. Another tick from the bottom of the barrel with plenty more to go!

Michelob Golden Light -----2.5/5

3.53/5  rDev +49.6%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 5

I'll start this review off by saying that this is the quintessential light beer. Why? It has flavor, is unoffensive, and is even a bit creamy. I'll grab a Michelob Golden Light almost any time I feel like a beer, but not a BEER beer, you know? Great with tuna sandwiches, pizza, hamburgers, casseroles, spaghetti... anything. Next to water I drink Michelob Golden Light the most, especially with meals. And after a lawn mowing session or snow scooping session? Only beer that beats that is Rolling Rock, my friends.

But alas, I must dissect one of my favorite beers...

Appearance (2.5) - Foamy white two finger head that recedes to 1 finger within a minute and then slowly eats away to a ring. The body is very clear, pale straw to almost water.

Smell (2.5) - Musty grains, sweet corn, metallic vegetable, small hint of overly ripe bananas and sliced pineapple at the end.

Taste (3.5) - A rush of corn and mild barley notes hits first, with some grassy notes and a little bit of malted banana at the end. There is a sour funk to it that the original Light does not have, however it's easy to drink.

Mouthfeel (3.75) - Super carbonated, a touch of smooth, and ends faintly semi-dry. Just right for its style.

Overall (3.58) - Again, on average I probably drink more Michelob Golden Light than any other beer from any other brewer. I buy this in the cases. It's just so easy, grab it and don't think, it's just great with anything...and flavorful, everything is just right. It is, in my opinion, the ideal light beer.

Sampling right now on 3/5/14. Had this one a few times before. It's a Mid-West brew and never seen it back in Florida. Bottle chilled down to 36 degrees F in my beer cooler and poured into a handled glass stein.

Pours a lighter-yellow in color with a small fizzy white head that settles down to mostly the sides of the glass.. Not much of a aroma actually, just some grain with light hops. Carbonation is above normal but not bad. Taste was about the same but is a little on the watery side but I like this one and not a fan overall for Bud products.

2.45/5  rDev +3.8%

As far as commercial light lagers go this isn't a bad one but it is what it is. Unfortunately for me this is the wife's prefered brew so I have to drink it sometimes. I've become used to drinking this on a hot day where is more of something to keep the throat from getting dry than it is to enjoy drinkning.

On a really hot day and if it is very cold it can be tolerated and even can be refreshing.

Best beer I've ever tasted. Actually quenches thirst and no aftertaste. Very refreshing! Light taste, not bitter or thick tasting. No "beer breath". I just love this beer. Didn't feel full either after drinking. Highly recommended unless you like thick, malty, dark beers.

2.05/5  rDev -13.1%

Enjoyed at the brewery in st Louis. 1.5 finger head with poor retention on a clear bright golden body. This beer is pretty much odorless. Flavor Is also really mild with mostly light grain and rice. No hop or supporting flavors but also not bitter or off putting. Light body ad high carbonation. Incredibly boring beer. Obviously easy to drink but also it's lack of flavor will bore you into not wanting another.

3.53/5  rDev +49.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Michelob Golden Draft Light has a thick, stark-white head, a clear straw, bubbly appearance, and a bit of lacing left behind. The aroma is of sweet, slightly musty grain, and the flavor is similar. The beer is quite akin to other major, mass-produced light beers. Mouthfeel is light and watery, and Michelob Golden Draft Light finishes crisp, clean, refreshing, and dry. Overall, it’s a very good beer.

RJT

1.69/5  rDev -28.4%
look: 3 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 1.5

pint on draft for $2

Look is clear pale gold yellow. Smell is faint... boiled/fermented corn, hint of freshly cut grass. Taste is clean, crisp, air. Really not much: grain, malts some cooked corn, hint of grass and a slight foul spoiled flavor. Very light feel; extremely carbonated.

I don't like to unfairly bash beers like this, but this just isn't enjoyable. Halfway decent at times, till the "garbage juice" flavor hits you. For some reason it's huge in the midwest and seems to be at almost every bar I go to. It's always cheap as dirt, but even at a good price it isn't worth it.

3.85/5  rDev +63.1%

This beer is light beer so I will compare it to other light beers. It does not compare to more roboust beers as it is not meant to be. The flavor was decent and it went down easy. If there was a drinkability rating it would get a 4.5. The color was as expected for its style light golden transparent. It was priced right at $3 for a 20oz draft on happy hour. The flavor was mild but still decent for its style. I did not feel like I ate a meal after a couple. If you like like light beer I would recommend trying this one.

2.35/5  rDev -0.4%

Appearance: Transparent straw. Very light in color. Basically non-existant bright white head.

Aroma: Almost nothing. A little bit of bread.

Taste: Starts with a just a hint of pale malt but turns into corn by then end. No bitterness. Probably one of the least bitter 'pilseners' in the world. Any flavor potential this brew had was ruined by how watered down it is.

Mouthfeel: Super effervescent to the point of being annoyingly fizzy. Very thin. Above average drinkability but drinks like soda water. Basically the same experience as drinking a Coke.

Final Thoughts: While not the worst macro-lager, Michelob Golden Light is definitely low-class. It's the usual choice for frat parties and other mindless drinking activities but has absolutely no place in a now booming beer industry full of such better options.

2.55/5  rDev +8.1%

Poured a translucent yellow with a big, foamy head. No retention or lacing. Smells like you typical AAL, except lighter, with the usual cereal grains, and a touch more corn sweetness. Tastes the same as the scent. Corn sweetness is the biggest flavor here, and helps detract from the otherwise fairly bad taste. Very light, not quite as carbonated as other cheap lagers, and easy to drink.

Overall, a regional beer that I think might have success elsewhere outside of the midwest.

2.16/5  rDev -8.5%

Pours a pale gold, and produces a white, 1 finger head, which dissipates quickly.
The aroma is faint, and of bread.
Their is barely a noticeable taste. It is of faint bread. Medium carbonation, and light mouth-feel.
Can't believe I used to like this stuff. It's easy drinking, but why? It has no flavor.

2.65/5  rDev +12.3%

Thanks to cpolking for sending this beer. Poured from a 12 oz. can. Has a pale yellow color with a 1/2 inch head. Smell is very mild, some sweetness to it. Taste is also mild, a touch of sweet malts, light and easy drinking. Feels light in the mouth and while nothing offensive, there is nothing to separate it from other light beers.

3.46/5  rDev +46.6%
look: 2.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Looks pretty boring... pale straw gold with a wisp of carbonation on top.

Creamed corn, muted grassy hops, a bit stale but certainly approachable. It smells rather nice actually.

I'm pretty impressed by the amount of flavor displayed here... there's nothing very impressive but it's cornbread, dried herbs and fresh cut grass.

This is much better than I remember.

2.42/5  rDev +2.5%

For the style it's not bad looking, light tan with a fair head but not much lace.

Smell is subdued without a whole lot of anything specific. Grains and a tinge of lemony citrus.

Taste brings out the citrus a bit more, plenty of grass and grains, and a tinge of sweetness with a dry finish. Body is extremely light and pretty well carbonated.

It's what it is. For the style you can consume it but overall it's nothing you'd want to trade for or mention twice.

1.81/5  rDev -23.3%

Reviewed from notes.

Pours pale yellow with a thin white head which disappears quickly. Smells of light grain, a little bit of hops, and not much else. Taste just like it smells. Light grain, and small hop presence. Mostly tastes watered down.

Light bodied, a lot of carbonation, no real aftertaste. Nothing here which merits trying this again. I had this at a holiday get together with the relatives, and decided to try it.

2.74/5  rDev +16.1%

I feel like getting on my knees and kowtowing to the west, to Minnesota, specifically. My dear trading partner, Chaz, has sent me some of the more seemingly elusive beers from The CANQuest (TM) and although they may not be truly enjoyable, I am having fun with each and every one of them. Rock on, brother!

From the CAN: "Smooth Tasting Premium Draft"; "A premium cold-filtered draft beer with the exceptionally smooth taste you expect from Michelob".

You CANnot expect much from this style or you will be sorely disappointed. I expect very little and so these types of beers usually live down to my expectations. I got (maybe) a finger of bone-white head from my Glug, but while I was typing, it vanished into the atmosphere. Color was a light lemon-yellow and it had the transparency of one of the slides that I plan to use on the overhead projector tomorrow. Come on, give me something to work with! Throw this dog a bone so that he may do so in return. Nose smelled like watery silage which, in case you are just tuning in, is the fermented corn cobs stored in silos for feeding pigs later on after the harvest season. It is sweetish and actually not off-putting until you smell it in glass after glass of beer. Mouthfeel was thin and watery and I was beginning to doubt my objectiveness at this point. By Gar, I have reviewed this beer in one of its forms or another on a seemingly endless basis, which is why many have begun to question my sanity. Finish was equally thin and watery and I thought wistfully of the O'Doul's Amber that I had just finished, which others had dunned and I had enjoyed. I did not enjoy this. I would not waste cooler space on this. What more needs to be said?

Michelob Golden Draft Light from Anheuser-Busch