2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Michelob Golden Draft Light - Anheuser-Busch

Michelob Golden Draft LightMichelob Golden Draft Light

awful

Anheuser-Busch visit their website
Missouri, United States

Light Lager |  4.10% ABV

(Beer added by: kbub6f on 01-24-2002)
View: Beers (76) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers
Ratings: 194 | Reviews: 91 | Show All Ratings:
pmcadamis

1.98/5  rDev -14.3%

I found this lone can in my future father-in law's fridge...he doesn't drink BMC crap, so I'm assuming someone left it after a party or something. Anyway, I feel compleled to try any beer that I've never had...so here it goes.

A - Pale yellow with a flimsy white cap that disappears quickly. No lace, no love.

S - Corn husk and sugar. More assertive than most light macros, and not offensive in any way. Pretty boring though.

T - Clean cornflakes and some sugar...again, nothing offends the palate. A very clean beer. Towards the sweet-n-clean finish, a slightly soapy note comes through.

M - Crisp and clean with some foamy-ness onthe finish at the end that muddles up the feel and ruins the palate.

D - Extremely boring and nearly flavorless, this is clean and flavor-free....like sparkling water. Honestly, this ain't half bad for a light macro lager but that ain't sayin' much.

04-22-2008 22:07:55 | More by pmcadamis
optiontwo

1.98/5  rDev -14.3%

Appearance: light yellow with lots of carbonation.
Smell: smells semi sweet and bready. That's it.
Taste: sugar water and corn, yuck.
Mouthfeel: seltzer
Drinkability: I could only drink 11 or 12
Overall: if this is beer then what the hell have I been drinking?

01-17-2009 20:23:28 | More by optiontwo
proc

Very watery and somewhat bland. I liked the bottle shape it that counts for anything. Not much going on with this beer.

05-10-2002 11:07:59 | More by proc
Rifrafboy

This is very popular, though I don't know why. This pours very light yellow with almost no head. Taste is very watered down, with very little hops or anything else to speak of. Extremely grainy tasting, with husk notes. I have nothing good to say about this. Why is this crap so popular?

02-11-2003 15:54:45 | More by Rifrafboy
Tballz420

The only reason i give this beer a 2 is because it is my favorite light beer, if there is such a thing. Its good for young folks drinking it out of a keg. For some reason this isnt sold many places, i was always under the impression it was only in MN, anyways you cant find it very often out of that state. Nothing special by any means.

04-05-2003 22:20:20 | More by Tballz420
Bighuge

This beer is pale and clear. Almost as pale as white grape juice. A decent sized dirty white head is erected, but falls just as quickly. The carbonation looks lifeless. Smells tinny, corny and veggie like. Nothing appealing at all on the nose. The taste is like corn as well. And grainy. Quite bland and uninteresting. Mouthfeel is carbonated, but weak. Fizzy and unappealing. All in all, I'll pass on this next time. Unless there is absolutely no other option.

Thanks for letting me raid your macro selection ZAP.

06-09-2004 04:23:18 | More by Bighuge
Beerbuddha

Louisiana

Appearance - very clear pale yellow color. Thin white head.

Smell - hint of corn, a slight smell of wheat,

Taste - Slight corn taste, with a bit of metallic tase to it.

Mouthfeel - watery with lots of carbonation.

Drinkability - This beer was crap. I would not recommend this beer to anyone.

07-25-2007 22:19:39 | More by Beerbuddha
drizzam

Wisconsin

Poured from the clear bottle into a clear pint glass. Bears the "Born on date" of May 18, 2010.

A - Poured a clear, very light straw in color. An aggressive pour yielded a thinnish white head. Head retention was not very good and it left very little in terms of lacing.

S - Doesn't smell particularly appealing...a little bit of weak cooked corn, not much going on here (and I had to strain to get that).

T & M - Well, it certainly feels like I'm hydrating as I drink this. I have to go back and review a macro like this every now and again to really appreciate the craft beer scene I think. Maybe a little corn, maybe a little grain, certainly a lot of water! Mouthfeel is thin and watery, highly carbonated and thus a bit abrasive.

D - The only reason I had this in my fridge was because I was entertaining a girl that can't drink the "thick and gross" craft beer I drink. I would not recommend this to anybody and feel like I've insulted my taste buds by even pouring this in my mouth. Call me a "beer snob" if you will, I just enjoy more flavorful beer.

10-03-2010 23:40:44 | More by drizzam
DarkerTheBetter

2.03/5  rDev -12.1%

This beer came a slightly tan yellow that looked dead and dirty. Smelled of burnt corn and foul earth. Tasted of creamed corn, fried eggs that were left in the pan way to long, old yeast and finished much like I would expect an ashtray to taste like. Mouth feel was medium with light carbonation.

12-30-2005 21:31:53 | More by DarkerTheBetter
mothman

United Kingdom (Wales)

2.03/5  rDev -12.1%

REVIEW 800!

Poured into Das Boot.

Poured very vigorously yielding about 8 fingers of creamy off white head. With all the head, it is hard not to have decent retention. Color is a clear golden yellow.

Aroma: Smells of massive corn. The wide opening in the glass allows for maximum aroma. Low level of grassy hops. Do they triple hop brew this one? Maybe they should. Maybe some rice flavors.

Taste: With the heavy glass, it is pretty hard to drink out of. I get a lot of corn flavors and low level of grassy hops. These are the hops that probably get thrown out of other breweries for being too old. It is very bland.

Mouthfeel: Crisp and bubbly. Lots of carbonation with a light bodied. Ends very grainy and dry.

Overall, this is nothing special, but a solid go to cheap macro. Easy drinking and light as can be. I did a das boot to finish this one off. Great drinkability.

04-09-2010 02:06:32 | More by mothman
BeerBob

Nebraska

2.05/5  rDev -11.3%

Michelob Golden Light Draft pours a light clear amber from a 12oz clear glass bottle with a twistoff cap. Head went almost to one finger with a firm pour into my 16oz beer tumbler before disappearing completely before my eyes in the time it took to type this line, about twenty seconds.

Nose is a damp astringent with the slightest hint of banana... yes, banana. I get wisps of banana and bubble gum, when I explore the outgassing of this liquid.

Palate is the sharp bight of carbonation with a backbone of hops bittering, if there is any malt or corn sweetness, it is lost amongst all the fizz from the bubbles of carbon dioxide.

There are light beers and there are light beer wannabees, Michelob Golden Light Draft fits the latter.

10-18-2005 00:14:05 | More by BeerBob
badbeer

Iowa

2.08/5  rDev -10%

Free can obtained from friend. Thanks for sample.

Poured a pale yellow color with a foamy head, leaves no lace around glass. Smell was pretty water but with hints of grain and a bit of corn. Taste emulates the smell for the most part. Light bodied, with a moderate carbonation, wasn't overcarbonated like most macros. Given a choice, I probably wouldn't have another.

02-12-2006 15:05:30 | More by badbeer
zeff80

Missouri

2.08/5  rDev -10%

Had this on tap at the brewery in STL.

A - Golden yellow, highly carbonated with very little head. No lacing at all.

S - Smelled of corn and that's about it.

T - Fairly typical of light lagers. Grain and a little malt . No hops and a little watery.

M - Thin and watery. Very light bodied.

D - Not a staple beer. It is drinakble and okay for the style.

11-24-2006 15:44:29 | More by zeff80
Phocion

2.08/5  rDev -10%

Since moving to Minnesota last spring I have seen this beer everywhere. Every party, every bar, everyone's refrigerator, etc. So a week ago I discovered a 12-pack sitting on my girlfriend's floor and was informed that nobody had touched it and nobody in her house likely ever would, so I decided to at least give it a shot. I have no idea what the origins of this 12-pack are, but I suppose that doesn't matter much.

Sort of interesting 12 oz. "ribbed" can. Poured into a pint glass fairly rough to see what kind of head I get. Clear pale straw color with a with a fizzy two-fingered white head that lasts roughly a minute and a half... better retention than I was expecting, and almost no lacing. For the style I guess the appearance isn't half-bad.

Light malty aroma. A tiny hint of caramel but mostly corn. Lots of corn. Nothing else.

The flavor is about the same as the aroma for the first sip. I took a much larger swallow my second time around and all I can taste is corn. Well, I guess it's better than no flavor at all... well, that's questionable.

Sharp, crisp mouthfeel, but that's about it. Watery, no body, and it feels like it's going to make me burp a lot. Typical light lager, no better, no worse. Drinkable in a desperate situation but even for the price I will never spend my own money on this beer. Let's just say if this was the last beer on earth, I'd switch to wine.

01-27-2008 04:05:01 | More by Phocion
kylehay2004

2.08/5  rDev -10%

Enjoyed at the brewery in st Louis. 1.5 finger head with poor retention on a clear bright golden body. This beer is pretty much odorless. Flavor Is also really mild with mostly light grain and rice. No hop or supporting flavors but also not bitter or off putting. Light body ad high carbonation. Incredibly boring beer. Obviously easy to drink but also it's lack of flavor will bore you into not wanting another.

11-17-2012 20:15:52 | More by kylehay2004
afinepilsner

Iowa

2.1/5  rDev -9.1%

12oz clear bottle

Michelob Golden Light was pale golden in color with a thin white head. The head was quick disappear, leaving very little lace. The aroma was light with a little of malt and grain. The taste was very light as well, rather crisp and about the same as the aroma with a dry finish. The mouthfeel was light and highly carbonated. The drinkability was below average. It's just another nearly tastless light lager.

10-19-2006 22:36:55 | More by afinepilsner
drabmuh

Maryland

2.13/5  rDev -7.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Nothing is quite as much fun as drinking with your in laws and being called a snob. So I drank what they were drinking. Stupid of me but I still bet my rDev will be high on this.

Beer served in a pilsner glass. Beer is yellow and clear and forms a thin white head of small bubbles that falls away leaving no lacing on the glass. Carbonation is moderate and steady. Looks like beer.

Aroma is flat and grainy with a strong corn element. Smells like precursor to a lot of piss or the floor of a baseball stadium bathroom, the kind where you pee on a pile of ice in the middle of a bathtub sized troth wtih 10 other guys you don't know.

Grainy, thin, slightly dry, thin, aftertaste, thin. I call these beers road sodas to encourage people to drink and drive. There's nothing to it, nothing to say. There's probably trace formaldehyde in this beer slowly giving the consumers cancer. Time for some bad beer epidemiology.

06-23-2010 18:37:38 | More by drabmuh
Chaz

2.13/5  rDev -7.8%

This one pours a brilliant, Textbook "straw" in color, topped with a shock white head (I poured the can into a large-than-average glass to allow for a nice-sized two-fingered head to develop). The head falls after a couple of minutes and leaves no real lace to speak of.

Nose offers just a hint of pale malt, some faint cracker and/or bread-like character, and a semi-sour/tangy character (somewhere between citrus zest and 'fermented fruit'). Not much going on here in the nose, at best it is inoffensive or "neutral".

There's very little flavor here. The semi-tangy character in the nose seems to dominate the latter portion of the palate, with a lightly-sweet, "malty" character driving the former. As this warms (and do yourself a favor *DON'T* let it warm!) it loses drinkability considerably, as the aforementioned tangy-sour aspect comes into full prominence. Considering the style and the beer in-total, the mouthfeel is actually better than most, and I've remarked as such on prior run-ins with this beverage. Overall this is a light, fizzy, in-offensive Barley Pop, and, as I'm often told: "You can drink a lot of 'em without them causing you to get a beer gut!".

Fact is, I'm long-since been accustomed to people (co-workers, barkeeps, random strangers) offering me this very beer for free, and I (almost) always oblige: at best it is a way to bond with the people around me while beating the heat and/or slaking a thirst, maybe even wash-down a plate of greasy appetizers. At worst, of course, Michelob Golden Draft Light is an offense to a palate which has grown accustomed to all-malt brews with complex hop profiles...

Whenever I've "enjoyed" this beer in the past there's always been something about it that I can't quite quantify, and I can only -vaguely- describe it here as being an Inverse Taste Ratio, in that for each of these I drink, the less beer I feel like drinking in any given sitting. Granted, I've had enough of these in my time (draught, cans, bottles out of the back of some geezer's trunk on the way to a show...), but for whatever reason this beer puts me off drinking! It's not as bad as "Mich Ultra", but it is almost a negative beer, making up for all the calories your get from drinking anything with more calories than Bud Heavy.

I've tasted more flavorful "Diet Beers" in my time, and I'm endlessly impressed with the popularity of this particular diet beer. To be honest, I'd only ever recommend Mich GL to people who -do not- in fact, generally enjoy the flavor profiles exhibited by textbook renditions of classic ale and lager styles.

EDIT: edited "taste" section to account for the factor of environmental temperature fluctuation: summertime in a clear glass does nothing for the flavor of this beer (I'd have been much better served by drinking it straight from the can). I'm also reminded by the annoying aftertaste that this particular beer leaves behind, which reminds me very much of the aftertaste which always made me dislike diet soda pop in general. I had to crack the nearest can of "Leinie's Original" just to get the taste out of my mouth...

07-25-2011 21:36:56 | More by Chaz
TCMike

2.15/5  rDev -6.9%

Pours a pale gold, and produces a white, 1 finger head, which dissipates quickly.
The aroma is faint, and of bread.
Their is barely a noticeable taste. It is of faint bread. Medium carbonation, and light mouth-feel.
Can't believe I used to like this stuff. It's easy drinking, but why? It has no flavor.

04-18-2012 22:10:44 | More by TCMike
herman77

2.23/5  rDev -3.5%

A: Clear straw yellow with a white head that dies off quickly. No lacing.

S: Sweet water and light cereal grains. Smells like a light beer.

T: Not much of a taste. A light grainy sweetness and thats about it. Nothing repulsive.

M: Thin, light, watery. Higher carbonation. No surprises here.

O: Very easy to drink. Probably the beer I've had the most out of all other BMC beers. It is refreshing.

06-10-2011 00:08:52 | More by herman77
pweis909

Wisconsin

2.25/5  rDev -2.6%

Neighbor brought some of these over in clear bottles. They are pale yellow in appearance. Not heavily carbonated. No need to worry about skunking, as there is really no hopping. Taste and mouthfeel are smooth, water-like. Drinkable. You may not notice that it is beer.

07-17-2007 08:59:05 | More by pweis909
tconboy

2.25/5  rDev -2.6%

Pours a light clear straw yellow with little head that dissipates immediately, little lacing to speak of. Smells like water and cereal. Am I drinking beer here or adjunct flavored water? There is really nothing to this beer other than the water and light cereal flavors with moderate carbonation. At least it's not offensive. Marketed as a real trendy beer here in Minnesota, but I'm not enjoying it. Probably would prefer this to a Miller Lite or Bud Light though.

01-20-2009 06:55:37 | More by tconboy
garymuchow

2.3/5  rDev -0.4%

Light malty almost skunky aroma. Full head and fizzy. Pale gold and crystal clear. Light in overall taste, what's there is malt, then light to medium dryness from hops. Very carbonated. Crisp and thirst quenching, just not enough flavor.

01-24-2002 21:38:29 | More by garymuchow
icefisherman

2.3/5  rDev -0.4%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Aside from the almost clear yellow color and it tasting like water I find no reason why anyone would drink this. Granted every one here in MN drinks it like water. about the only good thing i can think of about this beer is the price about $17 for a case of bottles. oh i almost forgot the cool bottle.

09-01-2004 15:31:54 | More by icefisherman
mrseano

2.35/5  rDev +1.7%

A: Very light straw golden color

S: Not much here. Straw, grain.

T: Refreshing but too bland. Little grain and grass.

M: Very light and watery. Felt like drinking fizzy carbonated, lightly flavored water.

O: Cheap, easy-to-consume but not fun to taste beer. Such low alcohol and taste content that it finishes quickly before you realize it. Did taste better than Bud, however, as I tasted the two alongside each other to compare.

04-18-2011 04:53:43 | More by mrseano