Michelob Golden Draft Light - Anheuser-Busch

Missouri, United States

Light Lager |  4.10% ABV

Beer added by: kbub6f on 01-24-2002

2.25/5  rDev -8.2%

Pours a light clear straw yellow with little head that dissipates immediately, little lacing to speak of. Smells like water and cereal. Am I drinking beer here or adjunct flavored water? There is really nothing to this beer other than the water and light cereal flavors with moderate carbonation. At least it's not offensive. Marketed as a real trendy beer here in Minnesota, but I'm not enjoying it. Probably would prefer this to a Miller Lite or Bud Light though. (465 characters)

2.26/5  rDev -7.8%

Neighbor brought some of these over in clear bottles. They are pale yellow in appearance. Not heavily carbonated. No need to worry about skunking, as there is really no hopping. Taste and mouthfeel are smooth, water-like. Drinkable. You may not notice that it is beer. (268 characters)

2.3/5  rDev -6.1%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Aside from the almost clear yellow color and it tasting like water I find no reason why anyone would drink this. Granted every one here in MN drinks it like water. about the only good thing i can think of about this beer is the price about $17 for a case of bottles. oh i almost forgot the cool bottle. (302 characters)

2.31/5  rDev -5.7%

Light malty almost skunky aroma. Full head and fizzy. Pale gold and crystal clear. Light in overall taste, what's there is malt, then light to medium dryness from hops. Very carbonated. Crisp and thirst quenching, just not enough flavor. (241 characters)

2.32/5  rDev -5.3%
look: 1.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

A- Sadly this is just a terrible looking beer. Pale golden. The head was super thick but by the time I raised it to my lips it was gone.
S- Light grains and a weak lightly sweet cracker aroma.
T- The flavor is very mild. It tastes mildly crackery, lightly sweet.
M- Body isn't altogether bad compared to the alternatives in the style. More moderate carbonation than many light lager.
O- Meh. It's about on par with most light lagers. Neither better nor worse than the common conception of the style. (501 characters)

2.33/5  rDev -4.9%

A: Very light straw golden color

S: Not much here. Straw, grain.

T: Refreshing but too bland. Little grain and grass.

M: Very light and watery. Felt like drinking fizzy carbonated, lightly flavored water.

O: Cheap, easy-to-consume but not fun to taste beer. Such low alcohol and taste content that it finishes quickly before you realize it. Did taste better than Bud, however, as I tasted the two alongside each other to compare. (434 characters)

2.35/5  rDev -4.1%

Acquired via trade from cpolking so a big “Thank You” goes out to him. Poured from a 12oz bottle into a US tumbler pint glass.

A: The beer is a light yellow color, with a thin white head that fades very quickly and leaves very little lace on the glass.

S: The aroma contains light malts, grain, adjuncts and a faint touch of hops.

T: The taste starts out with some mildly bready flavors of grain and adjuncts. Then a light malt sweetness comes in. The malt character isn’t very faint as you would expect. The after-taste is slightly sweet and slightly bready.

M: Smooth and a little crisp, light body, medium-to-high carbonation, finish is clean.

O: Not very flavorful, goes down very easily and not filling at all since there isn’t much to the beer, very mild kick, good representation of style at least, typical fizzy yellow light beer. (851 characters)

2.35/5  rDev -4.1%

Appearance: Transparent straw. Very light in color. Basically non-existant bright white head.

Aroma: Almost nothing. A little bit of bread.

Taste: Starts with a just a hint of pale malt but turns into corn by then end. No bitterness. Probably one of the least bitter 'pilseners' in the world. Any flavor potential this brew had was ruined by how watered down it is.

Mouthfeel: Super effervescent to the point of being annoyingly fizzy. Very thin. Above average drinkability but drinks like soda water. Basically the same experience as drinking a Coke.

Final Thoughts: While not the worst macro-lager, Michelob Golden Light is definitely low-class. It's the usual choice for frat parties and other mindless drinking activities but has absolutely no place in a now booming beer industry full of such better options. (817 characters)

2.42/5  rDev -1.2%

For the style it's not bad looking, light tan with a fair head but not much lace.

Smell is subdued without a whole lot of anything specific. Grains and a tinge of lemony citrus.

Taste brings out the citrus a bit more, plenty of grass and grains, and a tinge of sweetness with a dry finish. Body is extremely light and pretty well carbonated.

It's what it is. For the style you can consume it but overall it's nothing you'd want to trade for or mention twice. (462 characters)

2.45/5  rDev 0%

As far as commercial light lagers go this isn't a bad one but it is what it is. Unfortunately for me this is the wife's prefered brew so I have to drink it sometimes. I've become used to drinking this on a hot day where is more of something to keep the throat from getting dry than it is to enjoy drinkning.

On a really hot day and if it is very cold it can be tolerated and even can be refreshing. (400 characters)

2.45/5  rDev 0%

Appearance: Clear yellow-gold, low head.

Smell: Not much there but not offensive.

Taste: Light sweetened bread.

Drinkability: More drinkable for me than Bud Light which causes an automatic hangover when I drink it.

Snuck home a can from softball, where this beer is probably a close second to Miller Lite for post-game drinking. Not too bad, but I'd rather have Miller. (373 characters)

2.5/5  rDev +2%

Appearance: Light yellow, golden!

Smell: Heavy grassy with a hint of a skunk note

Head: big white head, but dies out quickly

Taste: Grassy with a hint of skunk

Weight: very light washes down fast medium carbonation

Finish: Skunk, light grassiness, if you ask me if I want another, no thank you (298 characters)

2.5/5  rDev +2%

Notice the Drinkability factor for this beer. I usually buy this when I have an obligation for somebody, either a neighbor or somebody in the shipping dept at work. The fact that west central Minnesota seems stuck on this "beer" doesn't seem to matter in the least.

I have to admit to one thing about this beer. On a very, very, hot afternoon after cutting the lawn, trimming the trees, walking the dogs, putting new plugs in the car, changing the oil in the same car, rotating the tires on the same car, taking the dogs for a walk again, moving the hoses on the garden, oh, crap, I forgot to mention pushing the trim mower all around the back yard, THIS BEER REALLY FILLS THE BILL, AND I CAN DRINK A 6er (706 characters)

2.5/5  rDev +2%

Served in 12 oz clear bottle (the ridges are kinda cool?)

A - What you would expect from a macro light lager. Light golden color. Little head.

S - Also typical of a macro light lager. Not much too it.

T - Despite its bad rap, the taste isn't all that repulsive.

M - Heavy carbonation, very light and watery.

D - Once again, a very drinkable macro light lager. Enjoying it on the other hand is a different story.

Another cheap buzz. It is what it is. (456 characters)

2.52/5  rDev +2.9%

A- Golden color typical of the adjuncts. Some white head, but fades rapidly.

S- Sweet, corny, not too metallic at all, which is a nice change from other macros. Nothing special.

T- It has more flavor than other light beers, IMO. Again sweet, corn flavors dominate. Just a hint of hops in the finish (or is it my imagination?).

M- Like a soda.

D- Definitely good for a kegger or drinking games. Do I really enjoy it though? Not a ton, but a little. (451 characters)

2.53/5  rDev +3.3%

12 fl oz. can, with canned on date August 16, 2014 printed on the bottom of the can. Another cheap adjunct riddled beer from Anheuser-Busch. Gifted to me from my neighbor. Thanks, I guess.

Poured into a La Fin Du Monde tulip glass.

A - It pours a clear gold colored body with about a finger of fizzy white head that thins to a ring. It doesn't look horrible, but it's nothing special. 3

S - The smell is comprised of the usual suspects - cheap adjuncts / grains / wheat, yeasty, with some alcohol fumes & a slight sour note. 2.5

T - Taste is the same - grainy / wheaty / corny / adjuncty. A very generic "beer" sort of aftertaste; it actually reminds me a bit of Miller Lite at times. Not offensive, but there isn't much going on here. 2.5

M - The feel is crisp and clean. Exceptionally smooth and easy drinking with the low 4.10% abv. 2.5

Overall, it is what it is - another cheap inoffensive light adjunct lager. Definitely drinkable, but not unique or memorable. Would I have it again? I suppose so, but I definitely wouldn't go out of my way for it. Another tick from the bottom of the barrel with plenty more to go!

Michelob Golden Light -----2.5/5 (1,165 characters)

2.55/5  rDev +4.1%

Poured a translucent yellow with a big, foamy head. No retention or lacing. Smells like you typical AAL, except lighter, with the usual cereal grains, and a touch more corn sweetness. Tastes the same as the scent. Corn sweetness is the biggest flavor here, and helps detract from the otherwise fairly bad taste. Very light, not quite as carbonated as other cheap lagers, and easy to drink.

Overall, a regional beer that I think might have success elsewhere outside of the midwest. (481 characters)

2.63/5  rDev +7.3%

I drink this all the time for drinking games and beer pong... it's my favorite "cheap" beer, although i know it isnt very good. I've had this beer on tap, in the bottle, and in the can.

pours a clear light golden color, a bit darker than other domestic light beers. lots of carbonation.

smell isnt very appealing. almost smells like it has been sitting out for a while, even though the can was just cracked and poured.

taste is rather watery, it has more taste than some other domestic light beers, but still has nothing that jumps out at me.

mouthfeel is somewhat carbonated, goes down somewhat easy, but that is because it lacks a lot of flavor.

drinkability?? This is good for me when im playing drinking games and have to drink fast. it goes down pretty easily, and doesnt fill me up to quickly.

I'd also like to add that I've never gotten a hangover from drinking this beer excessively. (897 characters)

2.65/5  rDev +8.2%

Thanks to cpolking for sending this beer. Poured from a 12 oz. can. Has a pale yellow color with a 1/2 inch head. Smell is very mild, some sweetness to it. Taste is also mild, a touch of sweet malts, light and easy drinking. Feels light in the mouth and while nothing offensive, there is nothing to separate it from other light beers. (334 characters)

2.65/5  rDev +8.2%

A good light version of it's full flavored brother. Poured out to a decent golden yellow color, with a weak head, no notes of lace around the glass. Odors were watery, but consisted of hops and grain, with corn in the background. Flavor was consistant with odor, corn, weak hops and a note of tartness. Finished crisp and well for a light lager. Worth a try for light lager fans. (379 characters)

2.66/5  rDev +8.6%
look: 2.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

A - Crystal clear yellow color with clean white head. Head quickly fades and leaves no lacing. Looks like a typical American light beer.

S - Huh? Nothing other than some graininess.

T - Adjuncts dominate. Think it is the corn.

M/D - Overly carbonated and very thin. Drinkable beer if you are just looking to drink some beers. (328 characters)

2.71/5  rDev +10.6%

For some reason, this beer isn't available in St. Louis, so it has gained an almost 'urban leagend' appeal in my neck of the woods. Old loyalties to AB die hard sometimes.

Anyway....

Appearance - yellow to gold, clear as hell, Quickly disappearing foam with no lacing.

Smell like sweet water and corn.

Taste pretty good for what it is. Light grains, subtle aftertaste.

Mouthfeel is thin, watery.

Overall, this is probably AB best brew. Buy some and serve to your freeloading freinds. (489 characters)

2.71/5  rDev +10.6%

I used to drink this beer quite a bit a few years ago before focusing on craft beer. My wife still likes this one a lot so I thought I should give it a review. A 12 ounce can with 21FEB06 and BF04 on the bottom, poured into a pilsner glass

A—pours golden yellow with a fizzy 1 inch head that fades away quickly, very slight lacing is produced around the glass

S—corn, straw, wheat, hay, grass, slightly sour, a touch sweet as well

T—hmm, nothing really sticking out, just a blend of grains, nothing offensive at all

M—thin, pretty flat actually, light bodied

D—my tastes have changed quite a bit over the past few years…not liking this one as much as I remember…needs more flavor, just too light. Still, it could do on a hot summer day by the pool. (771 characters)

2.73/5  rDev +11.4%

Poured in a pint glass.

Once upon a time, this was one of the best beers I'd ever had, not so much anymore, but it's still a step above most macro beers and currently the only thing from Micelob that I even mildly enjoy.

A: Pours a pale but luminescent yellow with a tad bit of quickly dissapating head that leaves little to no lacing. It's also extremely carbonated, which I've been thinking about recently.

I'm starting to think that a lot of your more popular beers (Bud, Miller, Micelob, etc.) are really designed in many ways to appeal to soda drinkers. Extremely carbonated with sweet, inoffensive taste in macro beers have recently reminded me of drinking a soda. Maybe, maybe not. But it would be a good way to get younger people to start drinking beer and going back to a product. Just a random thought.

S: Not much of anything. Mildly sweet and fruity.

T: Yeast, grain, mild hops. It's a little sweet. Nothing too substantial, but neither offensive, which, considering the beer and its market, is actually serious points.

M: Watery with extreme carbonation. This is fine, but what I don't like is that afterwards, it leaves my mouth feeling very dry on and behind my tongue. It makes me want more to drink, so maybe this is on purpose.

D: This is mostly what I like about the beer: it goes down very easy without anyhting there to offend the tastebuds. I like to keep a lot of these macro beers in the bottle, making the beer a little more substantial and easier to drink. (1,491 characters)

2.74/5  rDev +11.8%

I feel like getting on my knees and kowtowing to the west, to Minnesota, specifically. My dear trading partner, Chaz, has sent me some of the more seemingly elusive beers from The CANQuest (TM) and although they may not be truly enjoyable, I am having fun with each and every one of them. Rock on, brother!

From the CAN: "Smooth Tasting Premium Draft"; "A premium cold-filtered draft beer with the exceptionally smooth taste you expect from Michelob".

You CANnot expect much from this style or you will be sorely disappointed. I expect very little and so these types of beers usually live down to my expectations. I got (maybe) a finger of bone-white head from my Glug, but while I was typing, it vanished into the atmosphere. Color was a light lemon-yellow and it had the transparency of one of the slides that I plan to use on the overhead projector tomorrow. Come on, give me something to work with! Throw this dog a bone so that he may do so in return. Nose smelled like watery silage which, in case you are just tuning in, is the fermented corn cobs stored in silos for feeding pigs later on after the harvest season. It is sweetish and actually not off-putting until you smell it in glass after glass of beer. Mouthfeel was thin and watery and I was beginning to doubt my objectiveness at this point. By Gar, I have reviewed this beer in one of its forms or another on a seemingly endless basis, which is why many have begun to question my sanity. Finish was equally thin and watery and I thought wistfully of the O'Doul's Amber that I had just finished, which others had dunned and I had enjoyed. I did not enjoy this. I would not waste cooler space on this. What more needs to be said? (1,695 characters)

Michelob Golden Draft Light from Anheuser-Busch