1. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Michelob Golden Draft Light - Anheuser-Busch

Michelob Golden Draft LightMichelob Golden Draft Light

awful

Anheuser-Busch visit their website
Missouri, United States

Light Lager |  4.10% ABV

(Beer added by: kbub6f on 01-24-2002)
View: Beers (75) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers
Ratings: 194 | Reviews: 91 | Show All Ratings:
jsprain1

2.35/5  rDev +1.7%
look: 1.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

A- Sadly this is just a terrible looking beer. Pale golden. The head was super thick but by the time I raised it to my lips it was gone.
S- Light grains and a weak lightly sweet cracker aroma.
T- The flavor is very mild. It tastes mildly crackery, lightly sweet.
M- Body isn't altogether bad compared to the alternatives in the style. More moderate carbonation than many light lager.
O- Meh. It's about on par with most light lagers. Neither better nor worse than the common conception of the style.

09-09-2011 01:26:23 | More by jsprain1
TheManiacalOne

Rhode Island

2.38/5  rDev +3%

Acquired via trade from cpolking so a big “Thank You” goes out to him. Poured from a 12oz bottle into a US tumbler pint glass.

A: The beer is a light yellow color, with a thin white head that fades very quickly and leaves very little lace on the glass.

S: The aroma contains light malts, grain, adjuncts and a faint touch of hops.

T: The taste starts out with some mildly bready flavors of grain and adjuncts. Then a light malt sweetness comes in. The malt character isn’t very faint as you would expect. The after-taste is slightly sweet and slightly bready.

M: Smooth and a little crisp, light body, medium-to-high carbonation, finish is clean.

O: Not very flavorful, goes down very easily and not filling at all since there isn’t much to the beer, very mild kick, good representation of style at least, typical fizzy yellow light beer.

08-11-2011 02:35:18 | More by TheManiacalOne
JamesMN

2.38/5  rDev +3%

Appearance: Transparent straw. Very light in color. Basically non-existant bright white head.

Aroma: Almost nothing. A little bit of bread.

Taste: Starts with a just a hint of pale malt but turns into corn by then end. No bitterness. Probably one of the least bitter 'pilseners' in the world. Any flavor potential this brew had was ruined by how watered down it is.

Mouthfeel: Super effervescent to the point of being annoyingly fizzy. Very thin. Above average drinkability but drinks like soda water. Basically the same experience as drinking a Coke.

Final Thoughts: While not the worst macro-lager, Michelob Golden Light is definitely low-class. It's the usual choice for frat parties and other mindless drinking activities but has absolutely no place in a now booming beer industry full of such better options.

08-06-2012 04:18:53 | More by JamesMN
AlCaponeJunior

2.42/5  rDev +4.8%

For the style it's not bad looking, light tan with a fair head but not much lace.

Smell is subdued without a whole lot of anything specific. Grains and a tinge of lemony citrus.

Taste brings out the citrus a bit more, plenty of grass and grains, and a tinge of sweetness with a dry finish. Body is extremely light and pretty well carbonated.

It's what it is. For the style you can consume it but overall it's nothing you'd want to trade for or mention twice.

01-15-2012 02:18:20 | More by AlCaponeJunior
Snow81

2.45/5  rDev +6.1%

Appearance: Light yellow, golden!

Smell: Heavy grassy with a hint of a skunk note

Head: big white head, but dies out quickly

Taste: Grassy with a hint of skunk

Weight: very light washes down fast medium carbonation

Finish: Skunk, light grassiness, if you ask me if I want another, no thank you

03-19-2011 03:19:09 | More by Snow81
Mdog

2.48/5  rDev +7.4%

Appearance: Clear yellow-gold, low head.

Smell: Not much there but not offensive.

Taste: Light sweetened bread.

Drinkability: More drinkable for me than Bud Light which causes an automatic hangover when I drink it.

Snuck home a can from softball, where this beer is probably a close second to Miller Lite for post-game drinking. Not too bad, but I'd rather have Miller.

09-27-2008 15:13:45 | More by Mdog
mcrow24

2.49/5  rDev +7.8%

As far as commercial light lagers go this isn't a bad one but it is what it is. Unfortunately for me this is the wife's prefered brew so I have to drink it sometimes. I've become used to drinking this on a hot day where is more of something to keep the throat from getting dry than it is to enjoy drinkning.

On a really hot day and if it is very cold it can be tolerated and even can be refreshing.

02-14-2014 17:12:30 | More by mcrow24
fizzy

2.5/5  rDev +8.2%

Notice the Drinkability factor for this beer. I usually buy this when I have an obligation for somebody, either a neighbor or somebody in the shipping dept at work. The fact that west central Minnesota seems stuck on this "beer" doesn't seem to matter in the least.

I have to admit to one thing about this beer. On a very, very, hot afternoon after cutting the lawn, trimming the trees, walking the dogs, putting new plugs in the car, changing the oil in the same car, rotating the tires on the same car, taking the dogs for a walk again, moving the hoses on the garden, oh, crap, I forgot to mention pushing the trim mower all around the back yard, THIS BEER REALLY FILLS THE BILL, AND I CAN DRINK A 6er

04-02-2010 00:20:17 | More by fizzy
Mistofminn

2.53/5  rDev +9.5%

Served in 12 oz clear bottle (the ridges are kinda cool?)

A - What you would expect from a macro light lager. Light golden color. Little head.

S - Also typical of a macro light lager. Not much too it.

T - Despite its bad rap, the taste isn't all that repulsive.

M - Heavy carbonation, very light and watery.

D - Once again, a very drinkable macro light lager. Enjoying it on the other hand is a different story.

Another cheap buzz. It is what it is.

12-10-2008 04:39:12 | More by Mistofminn
LordAdmNelson

2.53/5  rDev +9.5%

A- Golden color typical of the adjuncts. Some white head, but fades rapidly.

S- Sweet, corny, not too metallic at all, which is a nice change from other macros. Nothing special.

T- It has more flavor than other light beers, IMO. Again sweet, corn flavors dominate. Just a hint of hops in the finish (or is it my imagination?).

M- Like a soda.

D- Definitely good for a kegger or drinking games. Do I really enjoy it though? Not a ton, but a little.

06-01-2009 20:08:56 | More by LordAdmNelson
boilermakerbrew

2.6/5  rDev +12.6%

Poured a translucent yellow with a big, foamy head. No retention or lacing. Smells like you typical AAL, except lighter, with the usual cereal grains, and a touch more corn sweetness. Tastes the same as the scent. Corn sweetness is the biggest flavor here, and helps detract from the otherwise fairly bad taste. Very light, not quite as carbonated as other cheap lagers, and easy to drink.

Overall, a regional beer that I think might have success elsewhere outside of the midwest.

07-11-2012 01:52:29 | More by boilermakerbrew
Frozensoul327

2.65/5  rDev +14.7%

A good light version of it's full flavored brother. Poured out to a decent golden yellow color, with a weak head, no notes of lace around the glass. Odors were watery, but consisted of hops and grain, with corn in the background. Flavor was consistant with odor, corn, weak hops and a note of tartness. Finished crisp and well for a light lager. Worth a try for light lager fans.

08-17-2005 00:55:38 | More by Frozensoul327
tone77

2.65/5  rDev +14.7%

Thanks to cpolking for sending this beer. Poured from a 12 oz. can. Has a pale yellow color with a 1/2 inch head. Smell is very mild, some sweetness to it. Taste is also mild, a touch of sweet malts, light and easy drinking. Feels light in the mouth and while nothing offensive, there is nothing to separate it from other light beers.

04-14-2012 19:04:48 | More by tone77
ThePeskyDingo

2.68/5  rDev +16%

I drink this all the time for drinking games and beer pong... it's my favorite "cheap" beer, although i know it isnt very good. I've had this beer on tap, in the bottle, and in the can.

pours a clear light golden color, a bit darker than other domestic light beers. lots of carbonation.

smell isnt very appealing. almost smells like it has been sitting out for a while, even though the can was just cracked and poured.

taste is rather watery, it has more taste than some other domestic light beers, but still has nothing that jumps out at me.

mouthfeel is somewhat carbonated, goes down somewhat easy, but that is because it lacks a lot of flavor.

drinkability?? This is good for me when im playing drinking games and have to drink fast. it goes down pretty easily, and doesnt fill me up to quickly.

I'd also like to add that I've never gotten a hangover from drinking this beer excessively.

02-19-2009 03:39:35 | More by ThePeskyDingo
ckeegan04

2.73/5  rDev +18.2%
look: 2.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

A - Crystal clear yellow color with clean white head. Head quickly fades and leaves no lacing. Looks like a typical American light beer.

S - Huh? Nothing other than some graininess.

T - Adjuncts dominate. Think it is the corn.

M/D - Overly carbonated and very thin. Drinkable beer if you are just looking to drink some beers.

04-15-2008 18:01:46 | More by ckeegan04
hanco005

2.75/5  rDev +19%

I used to drink this beer quite a bit a few years ago before focusing on craft beer. My wife still likes this one a lot so I thought I should give it a review. A 12 ounce can with 21FEB06 and BF04 on the bottom, poured into a pilsner glass

A—pours golden yellow with a fizzy 1 inch head that fades away quickly, very slight lacing is produced around the glass

S—corn, straw, wheat, hay, grass, slightly sour, a touch sweet as well

T—hmm, nothing really sticking out, just a blend of grains, nothing offensive at all

M—thin, pretty flat actually, light bodied

D—my tastes have changed quite a bit over the past few years…not liking this one as much as I remember…needs more flavor, just too light. Still, it could do on a hot summer day by the pool.

04-14-2006 18:40:55 | More by hanco005
Illtryit

2.75/5  rDev +19%

For some reason, this beer isn't available in St. Louis, so it has gained an almost 'urban leagend' appeal in my neck of the woods. Old loyalties to AB die hard sometimes.

Anyway....

Appearance - yellow to gold, clear as hell, Quickly disappearing foam with no lacing.

Smell like sweet water and corn.

Taste pretty good for what it is. Light grains, subtle aftertaste.

Mouthfeel is thin, watery.

Overall, this is probably AB best brew. Buy some and serve to your freeloading freinds.

05-05-2011 23:34:40 | More by Illtryit
woodychandler

2.75/5  rDev +19%

I feel like getting on my knees and kowtowing to the west, to Minnesota, specifically. My dear trading partner, Chaz, has sent me some of the more seemingly elusive beers from The CANQuest (TM) and although they may not be truly enjoyable, I am having fun with each and every one of them. Rock on, brother!

From the CAN: "Smooth Tasting Premium Draft"; "A premium cold-filtered draft beer with the exceptionally smooth taste you expect from Michelob".

You CANnot expect much from this style or you will be sorely disappointed. I expect very little and so these types of beers usually live down to my expectations. I got (maybe) a finger of bone-white head from my Glug, but while I was typing, it vanished into the atmosphere. Color was a light lemon-yellow and it had the transparency of one of the slides that I plan to use on the overhead projector tomorrow. Come on, give me something to work with! Throw this dog a bone so that he may do so in return. Nose smelled like watery silage which, in case you are just tuning in, is the fermented corn cobs stored in silos for feeding pigs later on after the harvest season. It is sweetish and actually not off-putting until you smell it in glass after glass of beer. Mouthfeel was thin and watery and I was beginning to doubt my objectiveness at this point. By Gar, I have reviewed this beer in one of its forms or another on a seemingly endless basis, which is why many have begun to question my sanity. Finish was equally thin and watery and I thought wistfully of the O'Doul's Amber that I had just finished, which others had dunned and I had enjoyed. I did not enjoy this. I would not waste cooler space on this. What more needs to be said?

10-16-2011 12:50:29 | More by woodychandler
mmva321

2.8/5  rDev +21.2%

Poured in a pint glass.

Once upon a time, this was one of the best beers I'd ever had, not so much anymore, but it's still a step above most macro beers and currently the only thing from Micelob that I even mildly enjoy.

A: Pours a pale but luminescent yellow with a tad bit of quickly dissapating head that leaves little to no lacing. It's also extremely carbonated, which I've been thinking about recently.

I'm starting to think that a lot of your more popular beers (Bud, Miller, Micelob, etc.) are really designed in many ways to appeal to soda drinkers. Extremely carbonated with sweet, inoffensive taste in macro beers have recently reminded me of drinking a soda. Maybe, maybe not. But it would be a good way to get younger people to start drinking beer and going back to a product. Just a random thought.

S: Not much of anything. Mildly sweet and fruity.

T: Yeast, grain, mild hops. It's a little sweet. Nothing too substantial, but neither offensive, which, considering the beer and its market, is actually serious points.

M: Watery with extreme carbonation. This is fine, but what I don't like is that afterwards, it leaves my mouth feeling very dry on and behind my tongue. It makes me want more to drink, so maybe this is on purpose.

D: This is mostly what I like about the beer: it goes down very easy without anyhting there to offend the tastebuds. I like to keep a lot of these macro beers in the bottle, making the beer a little more substantial and easier to drink.

11-15-2009 05:03:43 | More by mmva321
JackieTH

2.83/5  rDev +22.5%

Appearance: Pale yellow and bubbly with a briefly appearing soapy head.

Smell: Muted grain.

Taste: Watery, with hints of grain and a muted background sweetness.

Mouthfeel: Crisp and carbonated.

Drinkability: This beer is not offensive and you can't spend the whole day & night drinking Russian Imperial Stouts can you? Also a perfect compliment to a Bloody Mary. Very easy to drink.

09-07-2010 14:10:49 | More by JackieTH
gmfessen

2.85/5  rDev +23.4%

Poured from the bottle, beer is a clear, light golden color with a thin white effervescent head. Smell is pretty typical of a macro light lager, just a slight sweetness of grainy malt. Taste is also of corn malt and adjuncts. As a light beer, it has the mouthfeel of water as I had expected. This is a drinkable light beer, nothing special... so it fits the profile. I would however drink this beer over bud light if I had the choice.

03-01-2007 05:04:38 | More by gmfessen
Ragingbull

2.85/5  rDev +23.4%

I had this beer at a friend's house after the baseball game. Normally not my thing, but when am I going to get another opportunity to try it, so I said, "why not?"

The appearance is okay. Very light and golden with some prickle and not much head, but no less than a lot of beers. A little light lace/foam.

The smell is not really my deal. There is something about the american macros that make me think of flat keg beer in college. Its probably my own issue, so I try not to crush beers for this nose.

Taste is really just there. Mild hops and grain. The malt is pretty simple and light, but I am actually impressed that you know its there. It is also possible that I am getting better at detecting what is in the beers I drink than I was years ago.

The mouthfeel is a little more thickish than I would want for a beer like this. If I am going "super light" I want it "super crisp." Don't confuse me by trying to give me a full bodied mouthfeel in a light body beer.

Drinkability was fine. I got it down with no problem. Towards the end as it warmed up it started to get less drinkable though. Drink 'em cold and drink 'em fast and you will be okay.

08-02-2009 17:01:00 | More by Ragingbull
FernMaster

2.85/5  rDev +23.4%

For me this a review long time coming. To begin, I can't say a hate this beer, if it wasn't for Michelob Golden Light, I may have never got into beer.
I was at a party a couple years ago and I was chilling with this chick. We were talking and sharing our dislike for beer (at this time I had never had really anything besides keg beer, which I had a great disdain for.). Then she mentioned a beer she had that you couldn't get in Missouri and we went to her fridge and she brought out a bottle which we shared, the bottle was Michelob Golden Light. I immediately did a double take, this was a beer that didn't taste like ass, it was very easy to drink and decent tasting. The next day I decided to explore my local grocery store for beer and see what other options I had out in the world, I purchased a sixer of Boulevard Wheat and that was it. My origin story for why I love beer. One could also argue that I never would have gotten into beer if it wasn't for that girl, but that's beside the point.
I haven't really said anything about that the beer and there's a reason for that; there's not a lot to say. I mean, the beer has a decent taste, pours rather well, the head quickly disappears though, but it's easily drinkable and not a bad drink, its super clear like a water and well, its' almost a water. This is a beer you don't drink because you want the complex taste of a beer; this is a beer you drink at a party. Something that's easy to drink, light and will get you a bit tipsy (if you drink like 8). It's also easier to carry around a party then a Chimay (trust me, I've tried it).
I can't hate this beer, I have a special place in my heart for it, but I can't throw praise at it either. The beer is decent. It serves a purpose, but is nothing to praise from the rooftops about. If you never try it, you're not missing anything, but if I never tried it I may have missed everything.

08-22-2009 05:30:21 | More by FernMaster
umustdrink

2.88/5  rDev +24.7%

A can o' beer, found behind the couch.

A - Clear pale yellow color. Not as colorless as bud. Head is white and sits at a thick film. Hey what do we have here? Lacing all up and down the side of the glass! Some kind of anomaly in the glass?

S - Faint corn, wheaty smell, slightly bitter. Not as bad as bud.

T - Corny taste, slightly sweet. Slight metallic taste.

M - Thin consistency with elevated carbonation.

D - Better than bud, I'd say it's on par with PBR.

03-30-2007 02:59:13 | More by umustdrink
Tone

2.95/5  rDev +27.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours clear, yellow/golden color. 1/3 inch head of white color. Decent retention and slight lacing. Smells of yeast, adjunct, pale malt, and slight hop. Fits the style of a Light Lager. Mouth feel is smooth and crisp with a high carbonation level. Tastes of grain, sweet malt, pale malt, yeast, and adjunct. Overall, a pretty average light lager.

07-08-2009 01:16:31 | More by Tone