2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Michelob Golden Draft Light - Anheuser-Busch

Michelob Golden Draft LightMichelob Golden Draft Light

awful

Anheuser-Busch visit their website
Missouri, United States

Light Lager |  4.10% ABV

(Beer added by: kbub6f on 01-24-2002)
View: Beers (76) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers
Ratings: 194 | Reviews: 91 | Show All Ratings:
Phocion

2.08/5  rDev -10%

Since moving to Minnesota last spring I have seen this beer everywhere. Every party, every bar, everyone's refrigerator, etc. So a week ago I discovered a 12-pack sitting on my girlfriend's floor and was informed that nobody had touched it and nobody in her house likely ever would, so I decided to at least give it a shot. I have no idea what the origins of this 12-pack are, but I suppose that doesn't matter much.

Sort of interesting 12 oz. "ribbed" can. Poured into a pint glass fairly rough to see what kind of head I get. Clear pale straw color with a with a fizzy two-fingered white head that lasts roughly a minute and a half... better retention than I was expecting, and almost no lacing. For the style I guess the appearance isn't half-bad.

Light malty aroma. A tiny hint of caramel but mostly corn. Lots of corn. Nothing else.

The flavor is about the same as the aroma for the first sip. I took a much larger swallow my second time around and all I can taste is corn. Well, I guess it's better than no flavor at all... well, that's questionable.

Sharp, crisp mouthfeel, but that's about it. Watery, no body, and it feels like it's going to make me burp a lot. Typical light lager, no better, no worse. Drinkable in a desperate situation but even for the price I will never spend my own money on this beer. Let's just say if this was the last beer on earth, I'd switch to wine.

01-27-2008 04:05:01 | More by Phocion
ntillemans

3.43/5  rDev +48.5%

I typically drink this one from the can. I poured it out into a glass for this occasion.

A - Clear, golden color, a consistent bead of carbonation running up the center of the glass.

S - I really dislike the smell of this. As such, it's much better from the can or bottle. It smells like a mix of malt, spoiled milk and aluminum. Still, not as bad as a beer like PBR, which smells like vitamin-rich urine to me.

T - I appreciate the clean, crisp taste. It's malty but not too sweet. Other beers with a similar balance taste like cardboard...but not this one. There's not much to dislike about it. It delivers an adequate kick in a sneaky, refreshing manner.

M - There's a lot of carbonation. It excites my tongue and causes me to salivate slightly. It's average for the light, lager style.

D - This one's very drinkable. Through the years, I've had several staple beers: Miller High Life, Coors Light, Budweiser Select and Michelob Light. But I keep coming back to Michelob Light. As long as you don't have your nose in it, the beer delivers and it isn't too sweet or strong tasting to serve as a fine staple beer.

01-09-2008 06:14:55 | More by ntillemans
BuckeyeNation

Iowa

1.68/5  rDev -27.3%

Macro Smackdown XVIII is yet another contest pitting the overdog (Michelob Golden Draft Light from Anheuser-Busch) against the underdog (Old Style Light from Pabst Brewing Company). Of course, given the fact that these are light beers, I don't expect them to have much bark or much bite. On to the show...

Medium amber, perhaps a half shade darker than OSL. The ivory colored cap is pretty impressive for the style and is a nice surprise. Not only that, but it looks like some foam will actually stick to the glass.

There isn't a bit of difference in the aromas. In fact, it's as if I'm smelling the same beer in two different glasses. Weak grain juice is about it. Maybe a whiff of noble hops, but that's probably pushing it.

Michelob Golden Draft Light is one of the least flavorful 'beers' that I've ever had. In fact, Michelob Ultra isn't too far down the scale. Light lagers are supposed to be light on flavor, but this is ridiculous. Each upending of the glass results in a mouthful of liquid that tastes like two parts sparkling water to one part macro lager. I'm sorry, but there's nothing to describe unless I start making shit up.

Although it's almost impossible to distinguish between two such watery beverages, I'm convinced that this beer's mouthfeel is at least one notch closer to water than Old Style Light's mouthfeel. Neither one seems aggressively carbonated, yet the burps are coming fast and furious. I don't really want to taste this stuff twice.

It seems to me that A-B products are only victorious in any given Macro Smackdown when they go up against Coors products. I like the corrugated-like cans that Michelob Golden Draft Light comes in, and the can's graphics are pretty cool, but the beer itself sucks like there's no tomorrow.

07-15-2007 12:40:00 | More by BuckeyeNation
icemonkey908

1.05/5  rDev -54.5%

This beer is extremely popular in Minnesota. Growing up around here, it is was by far the most common beer around. I have not been able to figure out the appeal of this beer. I have had many chances to sample it, since it is usually the free beer being provided at events.

Comes in a plastic cup, straw yellow and fizzy looking. The odor is extremely mild, almost non existent. Maybe there is a little rice or something, but nothing pleasant. The taste is what really brings this beer down. The first couple sips are bearable, but the beer just continues to get funkier and funkier. The only way to drink this beer is really fast when it is really cold. Otherwise, don't bother at all.

05-28-2007 23:42:02 | More by icemonkey908
umustdrink

2.88/5  rDev +24.7%

A can o' beer, found behind the couch.

A - Clear pale yellow color. Not as colorless as bud. Head is white and sits at a thick film. Hey what do we have here? Lacing all up and down the side of the glass! Some kind of anomaly in the glass?

S - Faint corn, wheaty smell, slightly bitter. Not as bad as bud.

T - Corny taste, slightly sweet. Slight metallic taste.

M - Thin consistency with elevated carbonation.

D - Better than bud, I'd say it's on par with PBR.

03-30-2007 02:59:13 | More by umustdrink
skylanebeer

Missouri

4.85/5  rDev +110%

Found this great beer at the tour center of AB in St Louis. I have always liked Michelob light but golden light far surpasses regular Michelob light. Only problem is that it is not sold in our market here. Might have to take a road trip north to get some of this excellent Michelob

12-23-2006 00:24:13 | More by skylanebeer
zeff80

Missouri

2.08/5  rDev -10%

Had this on tap at the brewery in STL.

A - Golden yellow, highly carbonated with very little head. No lacing at all.

S - Smelled of corn and that's about it.

T - Fairly typical of light lagers. Grain and a little malt . No hops and a little watery.

M - Thin and watery. Very light bodied.

D - Not a staple beer. It is drinakble and okay for the style.

11-24-2006 15:44:29 | More by zeff80
ryantupy

Its amazing how you will almost never find this beer anywhere out side Minnesota and the surrounding states. Pours a clear yellow color with almost no head and some slight lacing. Smells watered down and grassy. Taste? Tastes grainy, watered down, and a little malty. I drink this alot at campus partys and whatnot. I can tolerate it when I have to $5 for a cup. But I would never go out and buy it on my own.

07-07-2006 19:23:21 | More by ryantupy
hanco005

2.75/5  rDev +19%

I used to drink this beer quite a bit a few years ago before focusing on craft beer. My wife still likes this one a lot so I thought I should give it a review. A 12 ounce can with 21FEB06 and BF04 on the bottom, poured into a pilsner glass

A—pours golden yellow with a fizzy 1 inch head that fades away quickly, very slight lacing is produced around the glass

S—corn, straw, wheat, hay, grass, slightly sour, a touch sweet as well

T—hmm, nothing really sticking out, just a blend of grains, nothing offensive at all

M—thin, pretty flat actually, light bodied

D—my tastes have changed quite a bit over the past few years…not liking this one as much as I remember…needs more flavor, just too light. Still, it could do on a hot summer day by the pool.

04-14-2006 18:40:55 | More by hanco005
badbeer

Iowa

2.08/5  rDev -10%

Free can obtained from friend. Thanks for sample.

Poured a pale yellow color with a foamy head, leaves no lace around glass. Smell was pretty water but with hints of grain and a bit of corn. Taste emulates the smell for the most part. Light bodied, with a moderate carbonation, wasn't overcarbonated like most macros. Given a choice, I probably wouldn't have another.

02-12-2006 15:05:30 | More by badbeer
DarkerTheBetter

2.03/5  rDev -12.1%

This beer came a slightly tan yellow that looked dead and dirty. Smelled of burnt corn and foul earth. Tasted of creamed corn, fried eggs that were left in the pan way to long, old yeast and finished much like I would expect an ashtray to taste like. Mouth feel was medium with light carbonation.

12-30-2005 21:31:53 | More by DarkerTheBetter
Redrover

1.83/5  rDev -20.8%

Sampled at the International Falls, MN Country Club.

The beer pours a very pale yellow with a large chemically looking head. No lacing.

Hardly any aroma at all, if you strain you may bet a bit of grass or hay.

Taste is slightly better. A bit of sweetness and the faintest whisper of grains. Hops are virtually nonexistent.

Thin mouth that the carbonation can not over come. Drinkable in a pinch., but there must be something better on about any beer list.

08-01-2005 18:23:15 | More by Redrover
feloniousmonk

1.48/5  rDev -35.9%

There we are at the Buffalo, MN American Foreign Legion Lodge for my niece's wedding reception, and the common misconception is that the only beer that is provided gratis is this, the most popular beer in Minnesota, and the only thing on tap. The tap handle said "Michelob Golden Light", no "Draft", which made me wonder if it was another beer...nope, just more confusion.
Pale yellow, in the plastic cup, with a slim head.
No aroma.
All water, all the time....a glint of beery flavor appears, then blinks away in an instant..this is definitely for people who don't care what they put in their mouths, and haven't a clue, nor care, how much better beer can be...
...anyone who thinks they're drinking beer when they drink this?...I just pray for them...
...just picture the clamor when we realized the whole bar was free, and there was no need to stick to this swill!

06-26-2005 10:09:14 | More by feloniousmonk
Bighuge

This beer is pale and clear. Almost as pale as white grape juice. A decent sized dirty white head is erected, but falls just as quickly. The carbonation looks lifeless. Smells tinny, corny and veggie like. Nothing appealing at all on the nose. The taste is like corn as well. And grainy. Quite bland and uninteresting. Mouthfeel is carbonated, but weak. Fizzy and unappealing. All in all, I'll pass on this next time. Unless there is absolutely no other option.

Thanks for letting me raid your macro selection ZAP.

06-09-2004 04:23:18 | More by Bighuge
Tballz420

The only reason i give this beer a 2 is because it is my favorite light beer, if there is such a thing. Its good for young folks drinking it out of a keg. For some reason this isnt sold many places, i was always under the impression it was only in MN, anyways you cant find it very often out of that state. Nothing special by any means.

04-05-2003 22:20:20 | More by Tballz420
budgood1

1.13/5  rDev -51.1%

had this over the weekend too.....probably the worst beer ever made....maybe even worse than coors light. it's like drinking bad tasting seltzer water. i imagine the only redeeeming quality of this beer is..........um..........well i can't think of one right now, but it was free anyway.

03-25-2002 00:55:45 | More by budgood1