Michelob Golden Draft Light - Anheuser-Busch

Light Lager |  4.10% ABV

Beer added by: kbub6f on 01-24-2002

Ratings: 266 | Reviews: 106
1.66/5  rDev -29.7%

A: Light yellow color as to be expected of this style though not as drab or depressing as some.

S: Nothing but light grain.

T: Slight banana. Non-descript grain (corn, wheat, rice). A strange tang I assume is supposed to be hops?

M: Light and refreshing. Not much to note. Medium carbonation.

D: Like most light macro-brews this drinks like unflavored mineral water. I only review it because it is technically a beer.

3.79/5  rDev +60.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

From a 12oz ice cold bottle. Clean and refreshing. Not much beer flavor. Slightly metallic. This is what I grew up on so I can't hate it. Still a good beer, goes down way to easy, could easily drink about 10

2.16/5  rDev -8.5%

Pours a pale gold, and produces a white, 1 finger head, which dissipates quickly.
The aroma is faint, and of bread.
Their is barely a noticeable taste. It is of faint bread. Medium carbonation, and light mouth-feel.
Can't believe I used to like this stuff. It's easy drinking, but why? It has no flavor.

1.89/5  rDev -19.9%

Had this on tap, thinking it was $1...much to my dismay that special ended 30 minutes ago.

Pours a light golden color, nice head on it.

Smell is basically non-existent...which is better than it being skunky or noticeably terrible.

Taste is fairly generic, and weak overall. Some faint hops occasionally poke through, but there really isn't a whole lot to this guy. No wonder my friends can put it away like no one's business...this is way better than Natty Light.

M & D: carbonation is way too strong, aside from that...watery thin. I guess this scores decently on drinkability because it's bound to not offend anyone's taste buds.

You might rather drink something else, but its just too boring to be that bad.

2.93/5  rDev +24.2%

Its amazing how you will almost never find this beer anywhere out side Minnesota and the surrounding states. Pours a clear yellow color with almost no head and some slight lacing. Smells watered down and grassy. Taste? Tastes grainy, watered down, and a little malty. I drink this alot at campus partys and whatnot. I can tolerate it when I have to $5 for a cup. But I would never go out and buy it on my own.

All of my friends love this beer. I think they are crazy. It is a pale yellow lager with a bitter flavor and a generic macro light beer body. I only drink this beer when there is nothing else available. I should have went up to the bar and had a Summit Oktoberfest instead. What a waste of time money and liver.

1.7/5  rDev -28%

Is this the same thing as what the Minnesotans call "Mic Gold Ultra"? I hope so, cause that's what was served to me this weekend and that is what I'm reviewing.

Unnaturally bright yellow beer with minimal head. Smells of corn-- a big can of creamed corn. Tastes like nothing. I'm serious, it tastes as close to water as you can get without it being water. I can't tell you more than this about the taste. Dry mouthfeel. Fairly easy to drink except it made for the worst hangover in my life.

I hope to never touch this stuff again.

2.63/5  rDev +11.4%

I drink this all the time for drinking games and beer pong... it's my favorite "cheap" beer, although i know it isnt very good. I've had this beer on tap, in the bottle, and in the can.

pours a clear light golden color, a bit darker than other domestic light beers. lots of carbonation.

smell isnt very appealing. almost smells like it has been sitting out for a while, even though the can was just cracked and poured.

taste is rather watery, it has more taste than some other domestic light beers, but still has nothing that jumps out at me.

mouthfeel is somewhat carbonated, goes down somewhat easy, but that is because it lacks a lot of flavor.

drinkability?? This is good for me when im playing drinking games and have to drink fast. it goes down pretty easily, and doesnt fill me up to quickly.

I'd also like to add that I've never gotten a hangover from drinking this beer excessively.

This is very popular, though I don't know why. This pours very light yellow with almost no head. Taste is very watered down, with very little hops or anything else to speak of. Extremely grainy tasting, with husk notes. I have nothing good to say about this. Why is this crap so popular?

Being from the midwest and a current student of the University of Minnesota, Michelob Golden Draft Light is the finest beer I have ever tasted. This is indeed the most popular beer on campus and in Minnesota. A whole state can not be wrong. Mich Gold Light is one of the most refreshing, crisp tasting beers on the market. You can drink in the boat, in the fishing shack, or at a kegger. As the Replacments (from Minneapolis) sing "All I wanna do is drink beer for breakfast." No doubt they were singing about this beer. Mich Gold Light might not be a very full beer, but it sure is the best light beer on the market. I feel bad for the people who live on the coasts. It is indeed a smooth, premium beer.

2.02/5  rDev -14.4%

Appearance: light yellow with lots of carbonation.
Smell: smells semi sweet and bready. That's it.
Taste: sugar water and corn, yuck.
Mouthfeel: seltzer
Drinkability: I could only drink 11 or 12
Overall: if this is beer then what the hell have I been drinking?

2.73/5  rDev +15.7%

Poured in a pint glass.

Once upon a time, this was one of the best beers I'd ever had, not so much anymore, but it's still a step above most macro beers and currently the only thing from Micelob that I even mildly enjoy.

A: Pours a pale but luminescent yellow with a tad bit of quickly dissapating head that leaves little to no lacing. It's also extremely carbonated, which I've been thinking about recently.

I'm starting to think that a lot of your more popular beers (Bud, Miller, Micelob, etc.) are really designed in many ways to appeal to soda drinkers. Extremely carbonated with sweet, inoffensive taste in macro beers have recently reminded me of drinking a soda. Maybe, maybe not. But it would be a good way to get younger people to start drinking beer and going back to a product. Just a random thought.

S: Not much of anything. Mildly sweet and fruity.

T: Yeast, grain, mild hops. It's a little sweet. Nothing too substantial, but neither offensive, which, considering the beer and its market, is actually serious points.

M: Watery with extreme carbonation. This is fine, but what I don't like is that afterwards, it leaves my mouth feeling very dry on and behind my tongue. It makes me want more to drink, so maybe this is on purpose.

D: This is mostly what I like about the beer: it goes down very easy without anyhting there to offend the tastebuds. I like to keep a lot of these macro beers in the bottle, making the beer a little more substantial and easier to drink.

1.54/5  rDev -34.7%
look: 2.5 | smell: 1 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 1.5

Served after a tour of the AB brewery in St. Louis MO

On Tap

A- Pours with a thick satin white head. Dissipates slowly. Color is a brassy-wheat color.

S- Smells terrible. Reeks of adjunct malt. Smells like corn-whiskey mash. Truly, honestly in the awful category.

T- Terrible again, flirts with undrinkable. Sweet mashy funk lager flavor.

M- Mouthfeel is decent for light lager, actually has a little body.

O- Terrible. 2nd worst beer I have ever had. Don't even try it for kicks.

2.3/5  rDev -2.5%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Aside from the almost clear yellow color and it tasting like water I find no reason why anyone would drink this. Granted every one here in MN drinks it like water. about the only good thing i can think of about this beer is the price about $17 for a case of bottles. oh i almost forgot the cool bottle.

3.25/5  rDev +37.7%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

I've only had this on tap so I can't say anything about any other formats. There's nothing wrong with the flavor. It is pretty light, but that makes it really easy to drink.

2.5/5  rDev +5.9%

Notice the Drinkability factor for this beer. I usually buy this when I have an obligation for somebody, either a neighbor or somebody in the shipping dept at work. The fact that west central Minnesota seems stuck on this "beer" doesn't seem to matter in the least.

I have to admit to one thing about this beer. On a very, very, hot afternoon after cutting the lawn, trimming the trees, walking the dogs, putting new plugs in the car, changing the oil in the same car, rotating the tires on the same car, taking the dogs for a walk again, moving the hoses on the garden, oh, crap, I forgot to mention pushing the trim mower all around the back yard, THIS BEER REALLY FILLS THE BILL, AND I CAN DRINK A 6er

2.25/5  rDev -4.7%

Pours a light clear straw yellow with little head that dissipates immediately, little lacing to speak of. Smells like water and cereal. Am I drinking beer here or adjunct flavored water? There is really nothing to this beer other than the water and light cereal flavors with moderate carbonation. At least it's not offensive. Marketed as a real trendy beer here in Minnesota, but I'm not enjoying it. Probably would prefer this to a Miller Lite or Bud Light though.

2.83/5  rDev +19.9%

For me this a review long time coming. To begin, I can't say a hate this beer, if it wasn't for Michelob Golden Light, I may have never got into beer.
I was at a party a couple years ago and I was chilling with this chick. We were talking and sharing our dislike for beer (at this time I had never had really anything besides keg beer, which I had a great disdain for.). Then she mentioned a beer she had that you couldn't get in Missouri and we went to her fridge and she brought out a bottle which we shared, the bottle was Michelob Golden Light. I immediately did a double take, this was a beer that didn't taste like ass, it was very easy to drink and decent tasting. The next day I decided to explore my local grocery store for beer and see what other options I had out in the world, I purchased a sixer of Boulevard Wheat and that was it. My origin story for why I love beer. One could also argue that I never would have gotten into beer if it wasn't for that girl, but that's beside the point.
I haven't really said anything about that the beer and there's a reason for that; there's not a lot to say. I mean, the beer has a decent taste, pours rather well, the head quickly disappears though, but it's easily drinkable and not a bad drink, its super clear like a water and well, its' almost a water. This is a beer you don't drink because you want the complex taste of a beer; this is a beer you drink at a party. Something that's easy to drink, light and will get you a bit tipsy (if you drink like 8). It's also easier to carry around a party then a Chimay (trust me, I've tried it).
I can't hate this beer, I have a special place in my heart for it, but I can't throw praise at it either. The beer is decent. It serves a purpose, but is nothing to praise from the rooftops about. If you never try it, you're not missing anything, but if I never tried it I may have missed everything.

1.05/5  rDev -55.5%

This beer is extremely popular in Minnesota. Growing up around here, it is was by far the most common beer around. I have not been able to figure out the appeal of this beer. I have had many chances to sample it, since it is usually the free beer being provided at events.

Comes in a plastic cup, straw yellow and fizzy looking. The odor is extremely mild, almost non existent. Maybe there is a little rice or something, but nothing pleasant. The taste is what really brings this beer down. The first couple sips are bearable, but the beer just continues to get funkier and funkier. The only way to drink this beer is really fast when it is really cold. Otherwise, don't bother at all.

2.71/5  rDev +14.8%

For some reason, this beer isn't available in St. Louis, so it has gained an almost 'urban leagend' appeal in my neck of the woods. Old loyalties to AB die hard sometimes.

Anyway....

Appearance - yellow to gold, clear as hell, Quickly disappearing foam with no lacing.

Smell like sweet water and corn.

Taste pretty good for what it is. Light grains, subtle aftertaste.

Mouthfeel is thin, watery.

Overall, this is probably AB best brew. Buy some and serve to your freeloading freinds.

3.24/5  rDev +37.3%

Best light beer money can buy.

2.33/5  rDev -1.3%

A: Very light straw golden color

S: Not much here. Straw, grain.

T: Refreshing but too bland. Little grain and grass.

M: Very light and watery. Felt like drinking fizzy carbonated, lightly flavored water.

O: Cheap, easy-to-consume but not fun to taste beer. Such low alcohol and taste content that it finishes quickly before you realize it. Did taste better than Bud, however, as I tasted the two alongside each other to compare.

This beer is for people who don't like good beer. This is the crap that is left in my fridge by the people I know that drink crap. I usually give it to the dog, but he doesn't like it either.

4.18/5  rDev +77.1%
look: 4.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I absolutely love this beer, it explains my name

3.44/5  rDev +45.8%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.5

This is an excellent light beer. Way better than Bud or Coors. Has a nice, crisp taste, though it is watery. Supremely smooth. My favorite light beer besides Sam Adams Light.

Michelob Golden Draft Light from Anheuser-Busch