Michelob Golden Draft Light - Anheuser-Busch

awful

Anheuser-Busch visit their website
Missouri, United States

Light Lager |  4.10% ABV

(Beer added by: kbub6f on 01-24-2002)
3.5/5  rDev +50.9%

1.68/5  rDev -27.6%

a: pale yellow with about a eigth inch of head that dissapears fast with no lacing
s: sweet grains very little hop character deffinate presence of adjuncts
t: similar to aroma
m: light to medium bodied

overall if your going to have this beer i would suggest having it on tap, its better than the bottled version, but still nothing to seek out

2.38/5  rDev +2.6%

Appearance: Transparent straw. Very light in color. Basically non-existant bright white head.

Aroma: Almost nothing. A little bit of bread.

Taste: Starts with a just a hint of pale malt but turns into corn by then end. No bitterness. Probably one of the least bitter 'pilseners' in the world. Any flavor potential this brew had was ruined by how watered down it is.

Mouthfeel: Super effervescent to the point of being annoyingly fizzy. Very thin. Above average drinkability but drinks like soda water. Basically the same experience as drinking a Coke.

Final Thoughts: While not the worst macro-lager, Michelob Golden Light is definitely low-class. It's the usual choice for frat parties and other mindless drinking activities but has absolutely no place in a now booming beer industry full of such better options.

2.13/5  rDev -8.2%

This one pours a brilliant, Textbook "straw" in color, topped with a shock white head (I poured the can into a large-than-average glass to allow for a nice-sized two-fingered head to develop). The head falls after a couple of minutes and leaves no real lace to speak of.

Nose offers just a hint of pale malt, some faint cracker and/or bread-like character, and a semi-sour/tangy character (somewhere between citrus zest and 'fermented fruit'). Not much going on here in the nose, at best it is inoffensive or "neutral".

There's very little flavor here. The semi-tangy character in the nose seems to dominate the latter portion of the palate, with a lightly-sweet, "malty" character driving the former. As this warms (and do yourself a favor *DON'T* let it warm!) it loses drinkability considerably, as the aforementioned tangy-sour aspect comes into full prominence. Considering the style and the beer in-total, the mouthfeel is actually better than most, and I've remarked as such on prior run-ins with this beverage. Overall this is a light, fizzy, in-offensive Barley Pop, and, as I'm often told: "You can drink a lot of 'em without them causing you to get a beer gut!".

Fact is, I'm long-since been accustomed to people (co-workers, barkeeps, random strangers) offering me this very beer for free, and I (almost) always oblige: at best it is a way to bond with the people around me while beating the heat and/or slaking a thirst, maybe even wash-down a plate of greasy appetizers. At worst, of course, Michelob Golden Draft Light is an offense to a palate which has grown accustomed to all-malt brews with complex hop profiles...

Whenever I've "enjoyed" this beer in the past there's always been something about it that I can't quite quantify, and I can only -vaguely- describe it here as being an Inverse Taste Ratio, in that for each of these I drink, the less beer I feel like drinking in any given sitting. Granted, I've had enough of these in my time (draught, cans, bottles out of the back of some geezer's trunk on the way to a show...), but for whatever reason this beer puts me off drinking! It's not as bad as "Mich Ultra", but it is almost a negative beer, making up for all the calories your get from drinking anything with more calories than Bud Heavy.

I've tasted more flavorful "Diet Beers" in my time, and I'm endlessly impressed with the popularity of this particular diet beer. To be honest, I'd only ever recommend Mich GL to people who -do not- in fact, generally enjoy the flavor profiles exhibited by textbook renditions of classic ale and lager styles.

EDIT: edited "taste" section to account for the factor of environmental temperature fluctuation: summertime in a clear glass does nothing for the flavor of this beer (I'd have been much better served by drinking it straight from the can). I'm also reminded by the annoying aftertaste that this particular beer leaves behind, which reminds me very much of the aftertaste which always made me dislike diet soda pop in general. I had to crack the nearest can of "Leinie's Original" just to get the taste out of my mouth...

3.75/5  rDev +61.6%

For the style, and cheapness, my favorite one out there. Would much rather drink this in bulk than bud light or miller any day.

2.1/5  rDev -9.5%

12oz clear bottle

Michelob Golden Light was pale golden in color with a thin white head. The head was quick disappear, leaving very little lace. The aroma was light with a little of malt and grain. The taste was very light as well, rather crisp and about the same as the aroma with a dry finish. The mouthfeel was light and highly carbonated. The drinkability was below average. It's just another nearly tastless light lager.

Appearance - very clear pale yellow color. Thin white head.

Smell - hint of corn, a slight smell of wheat,

Taste - Slight corn taste, with a bit of metallic tase to it.

Mouthfeel - watery with lots of carbonation.

Drinkability - This beer was crap. I would not recommend this beer to anyone.

2.08/5  rDev -10.3%

Free can obtained from friend. Thanks for sample.

Poured a pale yellow color with a foamy head, leaves no lace around glass. Smell was pretty water but with hints of grain and a bit of corn. Taste emulates the smell for the most part. Light bodied, with a moderate carbonation, wasn't overcarbonated like most macros. Given a choice, I probably wouldn't have another.

3.05/5  rDev +31.5%

pours a light golden color (duh) without hardly any head at all. has a cool faceted can. smell is non existent, i really can't smell anything at all. the taste is ok, as long as its cold, when i was first getting into beer, this was one of my favorites, but it was one that i could never get around where i live, so whenever i got to have some it was a big treat. now it isn't a big deal, but i tell you what i could drink about 11ty of these and still be ok. i still enjoy it every now and then, atleast for nostalgics

The head doesn't really exist and there is also no lacing. The color is golden and clear...almost like water. Smell is like urine. Taste is bad, doesn't taste anything but funky. Really carbonated and not very enjoyable. I will never have this beer again.

2.45/5  rDev +5.6%

Appearance: Light yellow, golden!

Smell: Heavy grassy with a hint of a skunk note

Head: big white head, but dies out quickly

Taste: Grassy with a hint of skunk

Weight: very light washes down fast medium carbonation

Finish: Skunk, light grassiness, if you ask me if I want another, no thank you

1.25/5  rDev -46.1%

2.25/5  rDev -3%

Neighbor brought some of these over in clear bottles. They are pale yellow in appearance. Not heavily carbonated. No need to worry about skunking, as there is really no hopping. Taste and mouthfeel are smooth, water-like. Drinkable. You may not notice that it is beer.

2.85/5  rDev +22.8%

I had this beer at a friend's house after the baseball game. Normally not my thing, but when am I going to get another opportunity to try it, so I said, "why not?"

The appearance is okay. Very light and golden with some prickle and not much head, but no less than a lot of beers. A little light lace/foam.

The smell is not really my deal. There is something about the american macros that make me think of flat keg beer in college. Its probably my own issue, so I try not to crush beers for this nose.

Taste is really just there. Mild hops and grain. The malt is pretty simple and light, but I am actually impressed that you know its there. It is also possible that I am getting better at detecting what is in the beers I drink than I was years ago.

The mouthfeel is a little more thickish than I would want for a beer like this. If I am going "super light" I want it "super crisp." Don't confuse me by trying to give me a full bodied mouthfeel in a light body beer.

Drinkability was fine. I got it down with no problem. Towards the end as it warmed up it started to get less drinkable though. Drink 'em cold and drink 'em fast and you will be okay.

Poured from the clear bottle into a clear pint glass. Bears the "Born on date" of May 18, 2010.

A - Poured a clear, very light straw in color. An aggressive pour yielded a thinnish white head. Head retention was not very good and it left very little in terms of lacing.

S - Doesn't smell particularly appealing...a little bit of weak cooked corn, not much going on here (and I had to strain to get that).

T & M - Well, it certainly feels like I'm hydrating as I drink this. I have to go back and review a macro like this every now and again to really appreciate the craft beer scene I think. Maybe a little corn, maybe a little grain, certainly a lot of water! Mouthfeel is thin and watery, highly carbonated and thus a bit abrasive.

D - The only reason I had this in my fridge was because I was entertaining a girl that can't drink the "thick and gross" craft beer I drink. I would not recommend this to anybody and feel like I've insulted my taste buds by even pouring this in my mouth. Call me a "beer snob" if you will, I just enjoy more flavorful beer.

Michelob Golden Draft Light from Anheuser-Busch