Michelob Golden Draft Light - Anheuser-Busch

Light Lager |  4.10% ABV

Beer added by: kbub6f on 01-24-2002

Ratings: 266 | Reviews: 106
3.3/5  rDev +39.8%

This beer was purchased at Hyvee in Ames, Iowa. I have never seen this beer sold in PA anywhere. I goto a lot of places that sell a large variety of different beers and I have never seen it. So, being a Michelob product I had to try it.

The beer tasted just like a watered down Michelob Lagar. It was very light in color and had a light taste to it, however you could taste that flavor that all the Michelob products have. I was good and if I were at a party, dinking a lot of beer, I could possibly drink it all night.

3.33/5  rDev +41.1%

I typically drink this one from the can. I poured it out into a glass for this occasion.

A - Clear, golden color, a consistent bead of carbonation running up the center of the glass.

S - I really dislike the smell of this. As such, it's much better from the can or bottle. It smells like a mix of malt, spoiled milk and aluminum. Still, not as bad as a beer like PBR, which smells like vitamin-rich urine to me.

T - I appreciate the clean, crisp taste. It's malty but not too sweet. Other beers with a similar balance taste like cardboard...but not this one. There's not much to dislike about it. It delivers an adequate kick in a sneaky, refreshing manner.

M - There's a lot of carbonation. It excites my tongue and causes me to salivate slightly. It's average for the light, lager style.

D - This one's very drinkable. Through the years, I've had several staple beers: Miller High Life, Coors Light, Budweiser Select and Michelob Light. But I keep coming back to Michelob Light. As long as you don't have your nose in it, the beer delivers and it isn't too sweet or strong tasting to serve as a fine staple beer.

1.68/5  rDev -28.8%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 1.25 | overall: 1.5

Watered down beer. Almost seems skunky. Will only drink when it is free.

1.51/5  rDev -36%

Definitely wouldn't drink this again. I had this while shooting pool with a friend and I remember it was hard for me to finish which isn't normal for me and beers.

Corn-water smell, grains.

Tastes upfront like a sugary corn mixture with a clashing disaster of bitter grains and rough malt. Finishes extremely watery as the rest of the substance dissolves; kind of like a bottle of Aquafina, only less satisfying.

Mouthfeel was not impressive and was rather bitter if I remember correctly. Corny water leaving an ugly aftertaste.

This beer tastes like the kind that you always hope to avoid but inevitably experience every once in awhile. The only good thing was that there was minimal skunk. Unfortunately that doesn't redeem this beer much.

Never again, I say!

1.06/5  rDev -55.1%

Appearance - poured in a pint glass, light golden yellow, thick fluffy white head. Goes away almost as fast as it came

Smell - muted, grassy, boring. Nothing special about and about what you expect

Taste - it has that weird quality that comes from the corn being a major part of the recipe. It's a little funky, kind of buttery and really weird (for me at least). There isn't anything in the taste that is appealing to me

Mouthfeel - smooth and creamy. Carbonation is prickly on the tongue

Overall - there is absolutely nothing about this beer that is enjoyable for me. I don't judge those that enjoy it, but it is not for me

2.45/5  rDev +3.8%

As far as commercial light lagers go this isn't a bad one but it is what it is. Unfortunately for me this is the wife's prefered brew so I have to drink it sometimes. I've become used to drinking this on a hot day where is more of something to keep the throat from getting dry than it is to enjoy drinkning.

On a really hot day and if it is very cold it can be tolerated and even can be refreshing.

3.55/5  rDev +50.4%

I was impressed with the beer's fruity/slightly sweet character. The smoothness of this particular beer was also very enjoyable. I found the fruit hard to narrow down, at times it seemed citrusy and others hinted of berry. Overall the fruity taste wasn't overbearing to the extreme that some other fruit beers have (which is great since this isn't really a fruit beer in the conventional sense). Would definitely drink again, even if it isn't my favorite style of beer.

4.84/5  rDev +105.1%

Easy to drink any day of the week.

1.88/5  rDev -20.3%

Some one left this bottle orphaned in my cooler after a guy's weekend so I inherited it, along with 5 Wisconsin Capital Ambers, and one Hacker Pshorr Oktoberfest. So, it's 10 o'clock on a Saturday with a good boxing match on (Calzaghe VS Kessler) so after round one I sprinted down to the beer fridge and picked out this poor soul. A very faint aroma, some carbonation, no metalic smell to it. There's really not much to review as far as taste goes because there isn't any. If some one asked you, "How's that beer taste, I've never had it?" You'd have a hard time responding and probably would just give them one because they aren't going to really hate it or really love it and drink you out of it. After 3 rounds I gratefully went and got a Captial Amber to finally have a beer with the boxing match.

3.7/5  rDev +56.8%

I love this beer it tastes like Budweiser but a lot smoother in my opinion. My new go to beer.

3.53/5  rDev +49.6%

This is my favorite cheap beer. Why? Well its not particularly distinctive, but its crisp, refreshing, no off flavors, and no rot-gut. Throw it in a cooler full of ice/water, provide it to your undiscerning friends, and enjoy a sunny day on the lake. Heck, I throw a lime in it (I know, I know, I shouldn't fruit the beer and normally I don't) and its a lot cheaper than all those clear bottled "Mexican" lagers. It's an American Macro, but so what? Mich Golden Light is good for the type of beer that it is.

3.74/5  rDev +58.5%

Now I'm not a light beer drinker at all. By light beer I'm speaking of diet beer. By diet beer I'm speaking of any beer that professes to have less calories or carbs than......well.....beer that's not thinking of those things. Right? Isn't Bud Light and Mich Ultra and Miller Lite and any beer that uses the term "light" really a diet beer?
How do you think one of those manly American iconic beers would have gone over to the masses back in their inception if they were called Diet beer? What about Mich or Ultra Slim?
Anyway I hate these watered down reproductions of American Lager (Lawn Mower Beer) and just want to put that out here right now. I do love my Banquet Beer (Coors Original) and do not knock regular Budweiser, Miller, etc. I just hate the fact they came up with this lighter is better BS (and this after prohibition when it was originally watered down) and make more money on it than any other product they sell. I've homebrewed, pub brewed, micro brewed so I do like real beer. IPA is my love.

Anyway I work in a warehouse at a beer distributorship. One of the guys unloading trucks found some lose cans of Mich Golden Draft Light and gave me one to try. I said ok, what the hell. I just opened it and poured it into an British Pint Dimpled Mug.

Over all the big American diet beers I have tried I would have to say I would probably prefer this one to any other. It does have flavor even with being stripped or watered down. When I poured it it was at about 37 degrees and was very light on the palate and smooth from front to back. At the end of the glass as it warmed up I was still enjoying it and hated myself for it.

I don't buy diet beer and still don't' plan on it but if I HAD TO HAVE ONE it would for now be this one.

Remember friends, I didn't say I liked it, just that I can drink it. My scores are based on others of this style I have tried.

3.85/5  rDev +63.1%

This beer is light beer so I will compare it to other light beers. It does not compare to more roboust beers as it is not meant to be. The flavor was decent and it went down easy. If there was a drinkability rating it would get a 4.5. The color was as expected for its style light golden transparent. It was priced right at $3 for a 20oz draft on happy hour. The flavor was mild but still decent for its style. I did not feel like I ate a meal after a couple. If you like like light beer I would recommend trying this one.

4.82/5  rDev +104.2%

Found this great beer at the tour center of AB in St Louis. I have always liked Michelob light but golden light far surpasses regular Michelob light. Only problem is that it is not sold in our market here. Might have to take a road trip north to get some of this excellent Michelob

3.36/5  rDev +42.4%

Now don't get me wrong here on the rating. I love Eastern European Ale, such as Belhaven, Stouts and New Castle and dark Mexican beers but have switched to only drinking them sometimes. Working one the low-carb diet and low cal beers to try to maintain weight. Tried all of them that I know of and Bud 55 is water tastes like it, MGD 64 is little better but not much and is somewhat drinkable. The Mich Golden Light is better than the previous 2 except Mich Ultra Light. Better taste and does not make you feel as your drinking water. That's not saying much but, remember I am comparing the Mich GL to those low-carb beers low calorie beers. In the real world of real beers it pretty much sucks too but there you go.

Best beer I've ever tasted. Actually quenches thirst and no aftertaste. Very refreshing! Light taste, not bitter or thick tasting. No "beer breath". I just love this beer. Didn't feel full either after drinking. Highly recommended unless you like thick, malty, dark beers.

Michelob Golden Draft Light from Anheuser-Busch