Michelob Golden Draft - Anheuser-Busch

Anheuser-Busch visit their website
Missouri, United States

American Adjunct Lager |  4.70% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 04-22-2002

Michelob Golden Draft is a premium, cold-filtered lager beer that is brewed using two-row barley malt, premium American hops and corn to achieve its smooth, full taste.
to view more.
Ratings: 115 | Reviews: 33
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Not as bad as other people claim.

Taste: Grainy with a mild hop finish

Smell: Summer-like smell

Feel: Watery, but not too watery.

Look: Typical straw colored pale lager.

2.65/5  rDev +7.3%

Wow. It took awhile to find this one. I called Anheuser-Busch and asked where I could find it. Apparently it's only sold in 3 or 4 states, and Missouri (where it's brewed) ain't one of 'em. I didn't even know they made a regular Golden Draft because all I saw was the Light version. So here we are, I tracked you down and now I'm going to give you the reviewer's treatment!

Serving style : 12 oz ribbed glass bottle, complete with blue (!!!) label. Poured for appearance.

Appearance (2.5) : Bubble bath sudsy, foamy white three fingered head that actually leaves a lacing on the glass. Recedes to a one finger head within 1 minute. Color is transparent pale straw/hay yellow that, with a little effort, anyone could solve flash cards through (wanna try it?). Extra kudos for leaving a lacing behind.

Smell (2.25): River water, barley, musty corn, malty grape tomato, a little paint or chemical. Very adjunct-y. I'm not digging this so much. The bottle adds an offensive smell not unlike a mens' locker room.

Taste (2.5) : It's got the Golden Draft taste but a bit more adjunct-y, and some sweet rotten corn permeates the flavor. Overall it is bland. I wish I had a "MG Light" to compare it with side by side but I'd bet you I would prefer that product more. Now as it slides down the throat it's got this malted rotten barley grain flavor to it that sticks around. It has a slight tasteless vanilla background. The finish is wet and grainy, not tasting like much at all. The Miller Lite I had earlier has more of a taste profile. A let down.

Mouthfeel (2) : Carbonated, wet, papery. Not smooth, not creamy, not anything. Pretty disappointed.

Overall (2.65) : I didn't think that this product would be as bad as it is. You expect a full flavored beer to give you more flavor, not less character. I like Michelob Golden Light better - and oddly enough I think it has more character and even more flavor. From now on it's Light for me. It's my favorite light beer.

At least I finished the quest of finding this beer and having the chance to review it. If you must journey to find it, take my word and don't keep your hopes too high, grasshopper.

1.89/5  rDev -23.5%

Nothing is unique about this beer.

2.66/5  rDev +7.7%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.5

A- Pours a light to medium yellow-gold in the glass. High clarity with about a 2 finger head that doesn't stick around very long at all. Little lacing.

S- Very light and grassy scent is primary and dominant. No hops detectable in the smell, and maybe a hint of skunky, light-struck scents. The scent does not linger and is very light.

T- Pretty much your standard AAL flavor right here. Very light malts up front, even though I hesitate to call them malts. Then there is a progression towards the lighter, grassy grain notes before moving quickly to a crisp finish that has very minimal hop flavors.

M- Very light and highly carbonated, this is the weight and feel of either a summer or college party pounder. Won't fill you up. Actually a little smoother than most AAL's, and I suspect that is the reason for the "draft" branding.

Overall, just a standard AAL. Not much to write home about here. What can I say? Drink these fast, get drunk, forget what you did the next day.

3.74/5  rDev +51.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

One of my favorite cheap lagers... ever.

Look is classic beer commercial yellow, small foamy head with some lacing. Smell is light slightly bitter with grain and cornmeal being the most prominent. Taste is crisp, smooth, refreshing (slightly) malty grain, just a hint of corn, with some skunky hops in the background.

Good "beer" beer. And cheap, too! Plus this stuff, unlike most other cheap lagers, doesn't give me the "cheap beer headaches".

2.13/5  rDev -13.8%

Reviewed from notes:

Pours light clear yellow with a small white head which fades quickly and leaves a spotty lace. Has a grainy aroma and smells like it will be somewhat sweet.

I can taste sweet grain more than anything else. Not much flavor, or hop presence. I can't say that it tastes or smells like corn. Maybe rice?

Light bodied with plenty of carbonation and a bit of a sweet aftertaste. Fairly smooth. Not much to get excited about. Bland and generic.

2.72/5  rDev +10.1%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Served this American Adjunct Lager on tap, in a pint glass. Poured a golden yellow color, produced a thin white head, poor retention and poor amount of lacing left on the glass. The aroma of this lager is plain, sweet and bready- no trace of hops. Light in body, this lager has a decent mouthfeel, clean simple beer. There is a slight flavor of sweet malted grain but not much beyond that. Not much to think about here, it is what it is, another macro brewed Adjunct Lager with little flavor and little to set it apart from the dozens of others. Prost!

2.94/5  rDev +19%

Minnesotans really love this beer, and I'm obliged to agree.

A: True to the name, very golden. No head but it does have some retention. Healthy bit of carbonation.

S: Hint of hops, malts and cereal grains.

T: Relatively full-bodied in the realm of adjuncts; malty but with an aftertaste that was slightly bitter, at least, too bitter for my taste.

M: Smooth, almost silky, with a bitter end. Very carbonated.

Overall: Not bad. Good party beer, very satisfactory flavor for an adjunct but the bitter aftertaste was a little much. I can see why this is a popular one in the midwest.

3.38/5  rDev +36.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A slightly above average macro beer all around. It has a very light color and I cannot comment on the foam content or smell as I drank from the bottle. The taste however wasn's out of this world, but was refreshing and not too bad. I would have no problem drinking this if I found it at family gatherings and what not.

3.5/5  rDev +41.7%

I finally got to try this beer courtesy of a trade with arvjunk. Thanks Ankur!

12oz can served in a Michelob pilsner glass.

L - clear yellow color with a white head that totally vanished in a minute or less.

S - grainy malt

T - the taste is grainy, mostly corn but it does have a slight bitterness to it before finishing grainy sweet.

F - light bodied with a crisp, refreshing feel.

D - a real easy drinking beer for when you just want 'a beer'.

3.97/5  rDev +60.7%

This beer is not available in Louisiana, so I had never tried it until 2010 on a trip in Minnesota. I drank this poured from a 12 oz. can. It has a thick, white head and a clear, golden appearance. Carbonation is very high. The aroma is sharp, with a heavy grain/grass aspect. The taste is good, and a good amount of corn(?) can be detected. I noticed a nice hop appeal here, but nothing heavy, of course. Mouth-feel was light and watery, and Michelob Golden Draft finished crisp and refreshing. All in all, I really liked it and wish it was more widely available. NOTE: I'd avoid drinking this in the clear glass bottle as that could allow for spoilage. The can or draft is a safer bet.

RJT

3.45/5  rDev +39.7%

Straw golden with a tight fleeting white foam leaving nothing to indicate it was ever there.
Grain husk and cornmeal aroma with a dash of powdered sugar sweetness.
A brief graininess signals its entrance in the mouth. Here, it switches quickly to cornbread, with that same powdered sugar dusting. Fairly vapid through the middle with some residual sweetness. Hopping is nearly non-existent, but a dry grassiness adds phantom traces of late bitterness.
Not as fizzy or insubstancial as many American Macro lagers. The CO2 is geared down a notch, giving the body a tad bid more heft than most.
All in all, this is a solid version that a touch beefier and sweeter than the majority of its peers.

2.95/5  rDev +19.4%

Poured from 12oz bottle to pint glass.

A: Pours a golden body with small white head with usual retention and some spots of lacing.

S: Typical adjunct, corn, cereal grain, slight hops and malt

T: Just the same as the taste. About average for the style, but I like this just a little bit better.

Overall: Good standard carbonation and highly drinkable seeing as how it is an adjunct.

1.8/5  rDev -27.1%

I think this deserves a healthy 2 acorss the board. It is a clear yellowish liquid and has a fizzy white head that quickly disappears. The nose is light and grainy. As is the taste. No real hop presence. Thin body goes down fine for the style. Nothing special here, but nothing too bad either.

2.17/5  rDev -12.1%

I had a couple bottles of this stuff with my breakfast buffet at the Route 66 motel after running a 5k with a bunch of co-workers...and yes, they were drinking at breakfast too.

A - Prototypical macro lager gold with a prototypical macro lager flimsy sudsy head. Doesn't look any worse or better than any other (IB)MC crap.

S - Lagery generic "beer" smell. I don't know what that means since beer can smell like anything from tart fruit to pumpkins to dark chocolate, but this smells like what any red-blooded 'Merican would tell you beer smells like.

T - Not bad in any way, but not good in any other way. Corn, cereal grain, and clean rice.

M - High carbonation is typical for the style, and the clean crisp finish is what we Americans want in a beer right? No lingering taste = good. IMO, no aftertaste or finish = bad.

D - If I'm at a joint like the Route 66 Motel where the beer "selection" consists of MGD, Miller Light, Bud, Bud Light, Coors, and Coors Light (what DIVERSITY!) I'll pick this since it at least has more calories and hopefully that equates to more flavor than the other swill-beers.

2.88/5  rDev +16.6%

Poured into a stemmed pilsner glass like you might see in the old-school PBR commercials.

Looks golden-yellow as opposed to the lighter straw-yellow of many macros. Smell and taste are just a simple, sweet bready flavor that's not entirely unpleasant. Most of the off-flavors and harsh mouthfeels of most bad macros is masked or just non-existent, so while this beer doesn't qualify as tasty, it's not bad either. In fact, I suppose for the style, it's pretty decent and I'd liken it to a lighter Yuengling Lager.

2.38/5  rDev -3.6%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

pours out of the 12 oz. can a clear golden colour. thin head and lace, rather fizzy and not very sustaining. adjunct sweetness in the nose, a bit more than than you normally get from A-B. taste is light on the barley malt, more adjunct sweetness and very little hopping, if at all. light bodied, pretty smooth mouthfeel with some crispness in the end. albeit drinkable and good enough to quench the thirst after work or play, i much prefer budweiser or regular michelob to this marketing gimmick of a beer.

Appearance- Golden pale color with thin white head

Smell- Smelled musty with hint of hops, very bready

Taste- Not very good. A bit of hops with a fruity taste.

Mouthfeel- Highly carbonated.

Drinkability- None. This was not a very good beer. I would not recommend this to friends at all.

Poured a clear, straw like color with a finger width white head that ran away and left no lacing. Creamed corn smell, hint of alcohol or boozy smell. Creamed corn perceived again, straw, a bit of graininess, no hop presence. Light bodied, highly carbonated. Pretty drinkable I suppose, it goes down pretty easy, but it's just not that great.

2.24/5  rDev -9.3%
look: 1.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Despite the fact that this beer was first brewed in 1991, I never knew it existed until a few minutes ago. When I plucked it off the singles shelf at John's Grocery last month, I thought I was buying Miller Genuine Draft, the original MGD, released in 1986. In any case, this lesser known A-B product is one half of Macro Smackdown IX, my periodic 'mano a mano' between macros both foreign and domestic. Schlitz is its venerable competitor.

Michelob Golden Draft is the more golden of the two and is more clear (due to 'cold filtering' no doubt). I'm happy to see fine-bubbled carbonation rather than large, soda-like bubbles, although it isn't helping the head in the least. The cap is dirty gray, mealy, featureless and is fading away quickly as if embarrassed to be seen. I would be too if I looked like it does.

The noses are definitely different. This one is sweeter and cornier with a whiff of muskiness (hops?). It isn't pathetically weak, nor does it jump out of the glass. Given what it smells like, I'd say the intensity is about right.

There isn't much flavor to be had. The more I drink, the more I realize that that's a good thing. The beer isn't as sweet as it smells and I'm now questioning whether corn is the adjunct being utilized or whether (A-B's signature adjunct) rice is. There's little, if any, hoppiness. Bottom line: bland, making a quick turn toward nasty as it warms.

The mouthfeels are pretty close to identical. Both are light without being aqueous and are well-carbonated without being fizzy. That puts them ahead of the game compared to most members of this style.

When I woke up this morning, I didn't know that Michelob Golden Draft existed. I could have gone another few decades without that knowledge. It isn't horrible beer, and is a damn sight better than most A-B beer, but it's the clear loser of Macro Smackdown IX. When will A-B brew something that appeals to me? I'm not holding my breath.

3.06/5  rDev +23.9%

Michelob Golden Draft pours a light clear amber from a 12oz clear glass bottle with a twistoff cap. Head of white foam with fine bubbles went to over two fingers before going down to a firm ring of foam with a broken cap of very fine foam. Lacing is is in a good amount and clings well to the sides of my beer glass.

Nose is of damp sweet grains and a few whiffs of alcohol, not a lot, but in small amounts. Palate is an up front sweet grain that is immediately overcome with the bittering of hops and reinforced with the bight of carbonation.

A clean and clear “Draft Beer” that is well suited for a new place in the global macro beer market.

2.85/5  rDev +15.4%

I guess this is a step up for the AB family of brewing. Poured out to a decent golden color with a weak head and higher carbonation. Go figure, how'd they pull that off? Odors of malt and hops. Flavor was slightly sweet, with strong indications of grain and grass. Finished slightly bitter. A pretty good macro. Recommended.

1.78/5  rDev -27.9%

Went by a buddy’s’ house after golf, and he had a case of this crap. Sure wasn’t gonna turn down a free beer, but jeez, this stuff was awful. An immediate skunk smell (freakin clear bottle) followed by a corn adjunct quaff. No malt. I had my buddy throw a lime in it just to make it manageable. AB made this shit to compete with Miller in Chicago.

3.42/5  rDev +38.5%

Pale clear yellow. Slight off white head. Lace is negligible. Aroma is soft maltiness and barley. Pretty decent. On the palate, the malts are clean, sweet and grainy and the overall taste is balanced. The mouthfeel is not as fizzy as some macros, which is good. And the body is pushing above medium slightly. Good macro.

3.37/5  rDev +36.4%

Pretty darn good Macro, easily the best AB beer around.

Dark gold with a nice head that doesn't stick around very long. Rich smell of deep malt. Nice but not complex in the least.

Tastes incredibly smooth. Very malty. Strong taste of wheat (not wheatmalt, just wheat...like bread) followed up by a surprising dose of hops in the back.

Goes down very smooth. Solid body. Not way too carbonated like most AB beers.

to view more.