Brew Masters Private Reserve - Anheuser-Busch

Anheuser-Busch visit their website
Missouri, United States

American Pale Lager |  8.50% ABV

Beer added by: yen157 on 11-13-2005

Decades ago, Budweiser brewmasters started a tradition. During the holidays, they'd collect the purest liquid from the brewing kettles; pre-sparged, first wort. This first stock - unusually smooth and rich despite its robust alcohol - was reserved for A-B friends and family, until now. Note from the brewers: this an all-malt beer; NO rice or corn. Imported hops. 20 Plato. It's also a completely different recipe than Budweiser.
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Brew Masters Private Reserve Alström Bros
firstprev| 51-75 | 76-100 | 101-125  | next → last
2.12/5  rDev -39.1%

Found this at South End Market sitting by itself waiting to be purchased so I felt bad and bought, giving it a fair shot. What do I think of it?

Pours a golden color, a little darker than your typical macro. Smells a bit like corn syrup, very sweet. Taste is also quite sweet with a little grainy taste also, mouthfeel is thin. Easy drinkability. But overall i am not impressed. The packaging is really nice and I like the bottle but the product? If this is the best that A-B can do I feel bad for them. This is not bashing them cause they are a big company, I've had some crappy micros and Belgians before. But this is not impressive to me at all. It's a slightly sweeter Budweiser. If they sold this on a mass scale it would sell well to their regular clientel and anyone else who likes macros in general. I've had worse beer, but if this is A-B's best, well guys you need to do a little more work.

2.04/5  rDev -41.4%

So a buddy and I saw this in my local grocery store at thought what the hell. The bottle it's in is quite nice with it's flip top. The beer was poured into snifters. The appearance is a nice golden hue with a heavy carbonation upfront, it subsides quickly to leave nothing but a thin layer on head. The aromas are of phenol alcohol, some biscuity malt, and no presence of hops. The taste is a familar Budweiser taste, just multiplied. The alcohol and thin body make it very undiserible. The brew is thin and the taste is hard to get past. Do not recommend this brew to anyone!

1.76/5  rDev -49.4%
look: 2.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2

1qt. 14.5 fl oz swing-top bottle. Fancy labeling and description written on the back.

Darker than Budweiser, with a bit better head retention, but still left nearly nothing for lace. Aroma is heavy on grainy malt, and the noble hops mixed with the dusty, corn malt actually create a somewhat offensive smell. The sweet malts in this do absolutely nothing for my tastebuds, other than make them question my reasoning for submitting them to such torture. It's only (somewhat) redeeming characteristic is the somewhat thick, malty profile this disarray of flavors rests upon. Other than that, this is a huge disappointment, even by Anheuser-Busch standards.

This was $12 that could have been much better spent. Me and two other BAs could barely finish the huge 1qt. 14.5 fl oz bottle. Wouldn't hurt my feelings a bit if A-B kept this "private" again..it'd be doing the beer-drinking public a favor.

* I've actually had a couple comments made to me about my low review for this beer, mentioning how people are giving it bad reviews just because it's an A-B product...however, i did review this with an open mind and was actually really looking forward to trying it. Sadly, I was very dissapointed...I couldn't really care less who who makes it (whether it be Anheuser-Busch or Three Floyds). For $12 a bottle, this is a huge rip-off in my opinion. Just my $.02 *

1.75/5  rDev -49.7%

I was lucky enough to taste a 2006 Vintage at a bottle share. I'm hoping that was simply past its prime, because the beer tasted a lot like bran cereal soaking in water. Not something I want a liter of.....

firstprev| 51-75 | 76-100 | 101-125  | next → last