Brew Masters Private Reserve - Anheuser-Busch

good

Anheuser-Busch visit their website
Missouri, United States

American Pale Lager |  8.50% ABV

Decades ago, Budweiser brewmasters started a tradition. During the holidays, they'd collect the purest liquid from the brewing kettles; pre-sparged, first wort. This first stock - unusually smooth and rich despite its robust alcohol - was reserved for A-B friends and family, until now. Note from the brewers: this an all-malt beer; NO rice or corn. Imported hops. 20 Plato. It's also a completely different recipe than Budweiser.

(Beer added by: yen157 on 11-13-2005)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Brew Masters Private Reserve Alström Bros
3.35/5  rDev -3.7%

Popped the swing top on a 32 oz. bottle. A nice head forms on the pour and quickly dissapates leaving a little ring around the top. Pours a clear pale in color, darker than your average pilsner, but barely. Did I mention it was clear?

The aroma is of brown sugar and malt, and so is the taste. Right up front you are greeted with a nice malty sweetness. I think there is definitely some brown sugar of some sort in here. A little hop bitterness stops by to say hello at the finish but leaves almost immediately.

The mouthfeel is very thick, quite full bodied, but enough carbonation that it is not too much I think. The taste lingers for a very short moment.

Overall this is an enjoyable brew. I didn't know what to expect from this company but this is pleasing. If I pay $8 for it again, however, it will be just as much for the bottle as for the beer.

3.38/5  rDev -2.9%

Appears a bright sunshine golden tone with a large off white head leaves even lacing around my chalice. Aroma has green apples, some tropical fruits blended in with alcoholic herbal hop tones but really comes of like well made malt liquor...Flavor is very sweet some clean malt layers with creamy corn and rice a bit one dimensional...not as many fruit notes in the flavor as in the aroma making it even more like a malt liquor. Mouthfeel is a bit syrupy with a medium body overall and even carbonation giving it a creamy texture. Drinkability definitely some decent stuff I'm down, a nice beer from the big brewers definitely decent for AB I didn't hate every second of drinking it.

2.7/5  rDev -22.4%

Served into a pub glass from a 46oz. brown bottle with a swing top

Clear,golden 2" thick,fluffy white head,good retention with spotty lacing.

Intense sweet carmell nose,burnt aromas,some metallic smells,fruitty with an apple scent. Slightly grassy not much hop aromas

Intense carmell flavors,boozy,sour and tart some fruitiness.Metallic tastes.some grassy tastes,no real hop tastes.Leaves a sour carmelly taste on the palate. Too malty no real hop bitterness,very lobsided balance.

Very creamy mouthfeel,nitro like. Seemed to have drinkability at first,the more you drink the more the carmell/alcohol overpowers your palate. Had a hard time finishing 16 oz of this beer

3.65/5  rDev +4.9%

I bought this out of curiosity. I wondered what Budweiser would taste like if it were made the right way.

I have to say I was impressed. First off, the huge-ass bottle was heavy and presented very nicely in the black box. The beer poured a deep and clear golden with a thick white head the dissipated quickly with no real lacing.

It smelled better than your typical Budweiser. There were none of the chemical-like smells associated with a macro lager. Just clean malt with a hint of alcohol underneath.

The taste is rich and malty offset with the right amount of hops. The alcohol is somewhat more present than I'd like, but that's understandable. High abv works better in bigger beers than this.

It finishes fairly cleanly with a lingering maltiness. The finish stays around for a long time, however, which is to its detriment.

Overall it's a really good beer from a macrobrewery. I wish all their beers were this good. Then maybe I wouldn't go broke buying good beer.

3.2/5  rDev -8%

I was at first sip a bit impressed but as I continued sipping it became apparent to me that this was more like a souped up buddy. I kind of smelled vegetables in the nose and some sweetness but not much else. Mouthfeel was nice and it did go down smoothly but the alcohol was not balanced with flavor very well. Seems oily on finish. I don't think I would buy this again without any improvement.

3.55/5  rDev +2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Nothing extraorcinarily special, but pretty good. A gift from my son for Christmas.

Anyway, looks pretty at first -- clear, dark golden with a decent head, but it fades very quickly and leaves no lacing.

Smell is light malt, some biscuit and lightly-toasted bread.

Taste is a heavy lager flavor -- nice malt, a decent hops aftertaste. Long boozy aftertaste.

Mouthfeel is surprisingly round and full, given the fading head and the absence of lacing.

Drinkability is okay -- the alcohol is evident both in the taste and the kick.

Overall, not a bad beer. I don't know what my son paid for this three-pint bottle, but I suspect it was a bit too much to be worth it.

3.28/5  rDev -5.7%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Poured deep golden with little head. Smelled sweet malts. Tasted sweet malts with a certain little candy-corn like sweetness that I get from aged dark Belgian ales. Then nothing. Over. The brief malt attack is good, but I found it a little cloying for my tastes, and it lacked a certain depth I would expect from such a beer. Not bad though, just not for me. Considering that this was supposedly a secret tradition for the privileged few each year, I would feel a little cheated to know that this was as good as A-B could get.

3.58/5  rDev +2.9%

Brew Masters Private Reserve pours a golden color from a brown swingtop quart bottle. The aroma is strongly sweet malt. The taste is also dominated by sweet malt, although there is a nice hop balance to it. Better than I expected from AB. They could really make some great beer if they put there mind to it. This is definintely worth a try if you like lagers.

I gave this as a gift to a Budweiser "zealot" over the holidays. This beer is beautifully packaged and bottled. It opened with a loud "pop" and was very highly carbonated.
It poured with a white, full head that settled down quickly in the goblet and left traces of lacing. The beer was clean and clear.
It smelled to me like the beechwood they brag about, but now one could actually register it as it tasted sweet yet malty.
The beer itself is extremely drinkable, everyone who had some commented that they wished all Budweiser tasted this good.

4.53/5  rDev +30.2%

A golden amber to yellow beer that in the light was transparent. Very thick head. Nice fresh kind of smell. You can taste the alcohol in this one. Had a little heat. Im not a huge Anheuser-Busch fan, but this one was excellent. Blows any other A-B beer out of the water. Mouthfeel was excellent as well with a smooth milky feeling. Drinkability i think is pretty high.

3.8/5  rDev +9.2%

2006 brewmasters private reserve.

again...pours out of the big ass bottle a crystal clear perfect gold colour, with an impressive head that is supported by some festive carbonation. pale malt aroma. light and a bit caramely. the taste is all malt, thick and chewy for a lager, with some maibock hints as well. alcohol notes; very peppery and spicy and rather tasty. the hopping is hard to pin down...there is a vague bitterness present, but no appreciable hop flavour comes through. i still think this brew could stand a bit more hop character to balance the heat and malt profile. the body of this lager is full, and the mouthfeel is smooth as can be for the style. seems like this is the same beer i had last year otherwise...no discernible differences. it's nice to taste a totally high end all-malt malt liquor. a definite treat compared to the other disgusting malt liquors A-B brews. there is no other beverage that i've tasted that really compares to this in its category. pretty drinkable in my opinion.

4.2/5  rDev +20.7%

Bottle was a 2006 GABF left-over that was given to me as a reward for my volunteer efforts. Thanks a million to GABF and to Anheiser-Busch for the opportunity. Pours a thin, yet sticky, tan-stained white head over a partly cloudy thin orange-colored liquid. Smells Pils malt with czech hop character. Vanilla and banana. Yummy. Cookie dough and oranges. Not a winter ale smell but nice and fresh. A bit of DMS and cabbage. Some caramel and a minor contribution of iron.

Tastes complex. DMS and wet malty sweet with strong czech hop character. Oranges with light esters (pear syrups, mostly). Burnt almonds come through due to the cohumulone hoppy presence. Drying over carb finish with iron and apricot. My mouth is watering. Phenolic is mild, but present to counter the malt sweet. A Hefe- yeast to contribute to this beer? Banana without the yeasty contributions of phenols.

Mouthfeel is thick, but just nudging into thick. Carbonation is Md, bordering on heavy, and works well with the flavor profile and intensity. Judged to style, not my personal preferences.

3.48/5  rDev 0%

Pours out a light straw color and very clear. Lots of carbonation. Evident when you pop the top open.
Smell is slightly yeasty and if the malt is here I can't smell it very well. Lemon rind and slight grapfruit.
Taste is kinda sweet. Caramel maltiness followed by just a slight hop flavor then the alcohol warms the back of the throat.
Mouthfeel is very clean and that is too bad cause there is nothing memorable to retain in the mouth. Very bland.
Being a bud drinker this is a little better but not much..
This Quart will be a hard swallow. I can't believe this will taste any better if it were cellared for the 365 days.

3.83/5  rDev +10.1%

Lighter amber translucent body with about an inch of white head that dissipates quickly but leaves a little lacing. Smells similar to Budweiser in some ways, but has a roasty malt character to it. Taste is somewhat light, but fairly complex with hints of yeast, caramel, vanilla, and some alcohol, though the alcohol is very well hidden. Clean finish. Very (surprisingly) creamy mouthfeel. Overall, pretty impressive considering it's a beer with the Budweiser name on it. I could probably see myself getting this one again.

3.83/5  rDev +10.1%

Appearance: golden with a bright white inch of foam.

Smell: lots of cereal like grain , mildy sweet aroma , and some light hop.

Taste: Very smooth taste and feel. Sweet doughy maltiness , lightly toasted grain , very clean , has some similarities to a regular bud just with more flavor. Just a very faint bit of pleasant fruitiness , nicely hidden alcohol. Some light hops round out the sweet malts in the finish.

Mouthfeel: soft and smooth.

Drinkability: I wish this is what regular budweiser tasted like. Basically an example of what AB could do if they wanted , but why would they when they make so much cash off bud light! A refreshing glimpse none the less. Quite drinkable , and the abv is almost completly hidden.

3.5/5  rDev +0.6%

Happy new year! Opening this Christmas gift and sharing it with family... I'm going in trying desperately to be fair and ignore the name of the brewery on the label.

Appearance: Coppery-gold, with a big head that fades and leaves no lacing. Average looking.

Smell: I know this is all-malt, but it still smells macro-y - weak hops aroma, alcohol vaguely in the background. None of the squeaky-clean scent I associate with good pilseners. Malt, however, is more present than in your typical BMC macro lager, with a slight caramel note to it.

Taste: Reminds me of Tafel Lager, which I had in South Africa. Solid for the style. Slightly sweeter than I'd prefer, but with decent malt depth. Hops are light, but I suppose that's to be expected. Alcohol content is very clear when you swallow, unfortunately.

Mouthfeel: Thicker than typical macro lager, lingering aftertaste that you could not describe as pleasant.

Drinkability: Alcohol taste at the swallow detracts from drinkability, as does the slight sweetness and less than pleasant aftertaste. That said, clearly superior to the flagship products! I wanted to like this one, I really did, but I can't give it a "good" in any aspect.

2.78/5  rDev -20.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Appearance: Poured from the 750 oz swing-top into a tulip glass. The beer is a dark golden. A vigorous pour yields a big 2 inch head that eventually settles to a good cover with some lacing. In typical AB fashion, this one is perfectly clear.

Smell: I get a bit of a dread from the aroma of this beer. It smells sweet. Sweet malts and something giving it a sweet corn like smell. While I am pretty sure that this does not have anything corn related in it, but that is what I smell.

Taste: As I feared, this is a sweet beer. Good maltyness to it. I should not be totally disappointed that this had absolutely no bitternes to it as it is classified as an All Malt Lager, but I am never-the-less let down a bit.

Mouthfeel: Lighter in body, doesn't make it to medium body for me. Light carbonation, no aftertastes.

Drinkability: It was a bit of a chore to finish off the bottle. A bit too sweet for my tastes. With the beer's sweetness and high ABV, this one is more like an American Malt Liquor lager, than an all malt lager. Will I buy another? Not this year, but perhaps I may give the 2007 version a try, if the price is right.

3.05/5  rDev -12.4%

This beer poured a nice golden color into my pint glass. Very clear, slight carbonation rising, a nice healthy head that sticks around. Both in smell and taste it is sweet and bready with some honey like sweetness. I drank this beer at 42* and 55* hoping that I would find a good temp to drink this beer at. I am a little disapointed in this beer. It smells like a thicker, sweet, bud. Very sweet. Little to no hop aroma or flavor...Man, I really wanted to like this and not review like a beer snob, but I cant do it. It is not bad, nor is it good. The alcohol in it is well masked, and it is not an overall terrible offering from Budweiser, a real step up from their main product line, but I will not be buying this again.

2.78/5  rDev -20.1%

Pored beer from its growler into a tumbler at 50 degrees. Beer had a wonderful golden straw color and a nice head with sticky lacing that went the whole way down the glass. Smell was kind of a bready regular bud smell. Taste was at first interesting and tasty. But the more I drank the less I liked it. It was very sweet to me, overly in my opinion and kind of tasted like a thickend bud with honey dumped in it. Will not buy again

So a buddy and I saw this in my local grocery store at thought what the hell. The bottle it's in is quite nice with it's flip top. The beer was poured into snifters. The appearance is a nice golden hue with a heavy carbonation upfront, it subsides quickly to leave nothing but a thin layer on head. The aromas are of phenol alcohol, some biscuity malt, and no presence of hops. The taste is a familar Budweiser taste, just multiplied. The alcohol and thin body make it very undiserible. The brew is thin and the taste is hard to get past. Do not recommend this brew to anyone!

3.23/5  rDev -7.2%

Very filtered, is all I can say. Very dark, yes, but very filtered. And almost no head.

Smells pretty nice. Deep molasses grain, a little bit of alcohol, and a light, dry hop hint. A lot like Dogfish Head's malt liquor, only without the fruit complexities.

Taste is a total letdown. The molasses is huge, overpowering almost, and it leaves no room for any sort of complexities. It's not bad, but all of the promise of the smell is nowhere to be found.

This is a bit overpriced for a beer that's merely decent. It's not that I can't behid macros, or anything, and I'm not just giving this a MOR score because it's made be AB. It's just not that good.

2.45/5  rDev -29.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

From the packaging, this beer looks like it would taste godly... far from it. It tasted like Budweiser with more alcohol. The appearance was almost that of a Saison with the exception that the head disappeared faster. I smelled a little malts but overall its aroma was that of its less-expensive counterpart. The mouthfeel was highly carbonated and light. I would choose this over Budweiser, but thats not saying much.

4.43/5  rDev +27.3%

this is a good beer. WOW suprisingly from budweiser at that. Go figure they can brew something good. But seriously this is a serious beer. It has a good flavor, it's very drinkable, hides the 8.5% very well. It's apperance and smell are upto par with higher end beers. Persentation on this is very good. I have to commend AB on this one, this is one damn good beer.

4.4/5  rDev +26.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Presentation: 1 qt, 14.5 oz bottle, "born on" date of Oct 2, 2006 stamped on the back of the bottle near the bottom, poured into a pilsner glass.

Appearance: Poured a crystal clear bright golden yellow color with plenty of carbonation. The head formed a thick bright white and faded very slowly, clinging to the glass on the way down.

Aroma: Slightly grainy, a little alcohol in there as well.

Taste: Wow, very complex. Slight caramel and grainy malts combine up front. There's some bitter hops in the middle, and that transitions nicely to a clean malty finish. The only point that the alcohol shows up is in the finish. Otherwise you'd never guess the alcohol is 8.5% with this one.

Mouthfeel: Not thick but creamy, very smooth. Despite the bubbles the carbonation is rather subdued, which balanced out quite well.

Overall: Anheiser Busch is best known for unleashing tons of macro swill on the world. This, however, is nothing of the sort. If you only ever try one beer from that conglomerate, make it this one, as this would be a top notch offering from any brewery. If you've never tried it, do so immediately. If you have, well get some more.

OK this is a review of a bottle that has been aged exactly one year. Originally this was to be for a beer trade that didn't happen.

The seal on the flip top bottle has remained good for the entire year and it gives a satisfying pop when you have to pry the plug up to get to the beer; there is nothing lacking about the care that was taken to bottle this.

This is a cold hazed deeply gold colored beer that does seem to have darkened after a years aging. Decent white head but it isn't very tall or strong.

Smell is sweet and noticeably more fruity after a years age on it. Fruit aroma of nuts, plum, raisin and banana mostly and it smells like a bock beer at this point. Toasted grain aroma but only faintly.

Taste is sweet and much like the smell fruity. Plum and raisin bran cereal flavor reign and then the hops come down and cut it off. The hop bitterness seems to have intensified by the time in the bottle, how is that possible? I have no Idea but this has a sharp bitter finish like some better German Altbier do. Quite frankly if this was a darker color I would call this a Bock or Altbier. Alcohol seems to be more apparent after a year in a 60 F closet in the dark. Additional flavors have appeared in this one. This is noticeably nutty with a fairly big pecan taste.

Mouthfeel is quite thick and reminds me of barley wine more than any kind of lager.

Drinkability is actually improved provided you like the taste of Bock, Altbier or Barley Wine more than the taste of Lager. It is winter this is just not the season for Lager. Interesting but sadly I do not have another bottle to try after two years of aging. I will be waiting to see the reviews of this after two years or more of aging. If you have one of these you didn't drink this year rest assured that it is still good. I suggest you wait another year and see what you get.

Brew Masters Private Reserve from Anheuser-Busch