Michelob Winter's Bourbon Cask Ale - Anheuser-Busch

poor

Anheuser-Busch visit their website
Missouri, United States

Winter Warmer |  6.00% ABV

During even the coldest of weather, warm up to the smooth, robust taste of our Winter's Bourbon Cask Ale. Full of rich aromas that you find in the winter months, hints of vanilla and flavorful hops, this is a beer that is great for pouring into a large tulip glass and enjoying with friends around a fireplace.

(Beer added by: JISurfer on 12-15-2005)
mrbrownstone65

Anybody who gave this a rating below 4 is dead wrong. This is a smooth, thick, smoky, vanilla-y beer. A fantastic combination of flavors, extremely well executed by AB. I would challenge anyone to taste this beer blindly and rate it below a 4. Stop discriminating based on its macro maker. I rated this a 5 as to cancel out at least one of the low ratings. This beer is probably right around a 4 or 4.25. Everyone who has an opportunity should try it this winter.

BStone

its65andsunny

12-05-2011 04:44:12 | More by its65andsunny
aobjustme

4.99/5  rDev +74.5%

While I'm usually not a fan of sweeter beers this is one beer I would make an exception for. Perfect for a cool autumn evening or a chilly winter night. It paired perfectly with a couple of great chili cheese dogs & a football game on TV. I'm a big fan of it.

06-10-2013 22:58:34 | More by aobjustme
tms6663

Colorado

4.85/5  rDev +69.6%

A - reddish amber color
S - A mixture of Bourbon and Vanilla
T - Very well balanced flavors of Bourbon and Vanilla.
D - A nice flavor at begininng with a clean finish
One of the best beers I have had in a while. A great job of balancing the destinctive flavors that finishes nicely. Overall a great beer that I would definitely recommend.

02-16-2011 04:17:53 | More by tms6663

4.75/5  rDev +66.1%

06-13-2012 03:19:42 | More by Gww1864
pb9613

4.63/5  rDev +61.9%

Appearance - The beautiful dark malt flavor with just a small tenacious head looked excellent in the glass after pouring. The small head created a nice pleasant lacing throughout the drinking experience.

Smell - Who doesn't love the smell of vanilla? You can still smell the hops in the background but the great smell of the vanilla is awesome.

Taste - This beer has a great malty flavor with enough hops to offset the bitter sweetness of the malt. You get the a little bourbon taste in the middle but just a hint of the vanilla in the after taste. Well balanced.

Mouthfeel - This beer was a little light and in need of a little body.

Drinkability - After a few of bottles of this beer you will need a lighter beer if you plan on continuing the beer drinking experience at the office party.

This beer actually interested my wife. She asked for a small glass for herself which is amazing. Her beer of choice is usually Coors Light.

12-15-2010 02:42:12 | More by pb9613
Roy3268

Maryland

4.53/5  rDev +58.4%

An overall great beer in my opinion. This was my first time trying a cask beer, and to say the least I was impressed. Many critics are surely against this beer simply because it is made by A-B. Better than anything Sam Adams has produced, and puts the name "porter" to shame.

I usually dislike thicker beers like this, but it's presence was by no means sickening or meager to my palate. A hint of vanilla was there that is all I can really say.

12-20-2009 06:15:17 | More by Roy3268
Mel2058

4.5/5  rDev +57.3%

10-30-2013 21:19:38 | More by Mel2058
scottstrades

4.35/5  rDev +52.1%

I was really surprised by this beer, as it's been many years since I paid money for any AB beer. I was given a small sample, which I thought was good enough to warrant getting a 23oz glass on tap for $5.95.

The beer had about a 1/2 inch head on it and looked really nice the way the light was hitting it, giving it an amber-ruby colour. There is a slight sweetness to it, though nothing extreme. The mouthfeel is a little better than your average AB beer, though maybe a little on the thin side (as all AB beers are). The beer had an pleasantly interesting aftertaste that lingered a nice while. Unfortunately, I cannot say I detected any bourbon flavor, though. Another poster mentioned a vanilla taste. For me, it was more of a cream soda flavor, though not nearly as sweet as a soda (I realize that cream soda is based on vanilla, but is still slightly different in taste than vanilla). The 6% abv is a slight but welcomed increase on AB's typical 5% level and left me feeling good after finishing the beer.

All in all a very good beer that stands out not only from AB's lineup, but from many beers in general. Though I would most likely never buy this in a bottle, I'd gladly get it again on tap. As AB has a brewery in my town (Williamsburg, VA), I'll probably run into this beer again this winter.

12-13-2007 12:47:19 | More by scottstrades
usmcphillips

4.33/5  rDev +51.4%

I found this unique winter ale on a trip to Wegmans in Bethlehem, PA. The flavor of the bourbon and vanilla beans are very noticeable. It's a very strong tasting beer with the overall thinness that you would expect from a Michelob beer. It makes for a very interesting conversation starter and holiday taste sampling. However, though I greatly enjoy the beer, I don't find it to be a beer for mass consumption.
Overall, I was very happy with this beer and would buy it again. I find that I greatly enjoy sipping through a glass while relaxing at home.

01-07-2009 02:39:44 | More by usmcphillips
greywolf

Delaware

4.33/5  rDev +51.4%

this beer was one i enjoyed over at a gathering of friends who enjoy good beer at first i was like oh ok its a cool bottle after all thats how we chose at least a few beer we want to try,,,the color was a nice amber,,the teaste at first nothing special to me but after a few sips the flavor of the vanilla came threw the mouth feel was pretty good too,,,the drinkability was very drinkable in fack i whent out and got some of my own,,,a beer i would share with friends for sure

03-11-2010 22:03:15 | More by greywolf
industrialswill

Washington

4.28/5  rDev +49.7%

This is a very pretty beer, ummm!. About the same color as the brown bottle with a light brown head.
It smells wonderful. Vanilla and just a hint of bourbon.
Delicious. This is easily the best BMC product I've ever had. It's got a true craft beer taste and feel. It's lighter than most other beers of this style, but I rate it as an excellent beverage that really surprised me.

12-25-2010 21:09:36 | More by industrialswill
realega

02-08-2014 01:03:16 | More by realega
Scott_at_Beer_Frog

12-29-2012 17:04:01 | More by Scott_at_Beer_Frog
wac9

4.25/5  rDev +48.6%

i dont know what people are looking for in this beer , but this a great beer . it pours like a scottish ale taste like scottish ale and looks like a scottish ale its a great beer and i for one cant for it the come out , its has the right amount of vanilla beans in it. best beer by michelob hand downs so open a beer enjoy it

10-30-2010 00:38:05 | More by wac9
theozag

Louisiana

4.22/5  rDev +47.6%

Perfectly clear appearance, amber-brown in color. A beige - nearly tan - head lasts right to the last drop. Smell is literally mouth-watering and suggests oak and vanilla to me. Starts sweet, slightly dry, and very smooth. Full bodied, becoming sharper as it rests on your tongue. The flavors aren't anything i can specifically pick out, but they certainly lived up to the aroma. Finish is extremely dry with a whiskey edge over a porter taste. Certainly my favorite A-B product to date.

12-31-2007 19:12:19 | More by theozag
MikeInIowa

Iowa

4.1/5  rDev +43.4%

I gave this brew a second spin. Tried a couple of years back and liked then, but, alas, no notepad was with me at the time (read: non-critical tasting was going on then.) Bad addy! I know. I know.

Nose;Cask has a nice, spicy aroma with scents of cinnamon and roasted malt.

Look: deep amber in appearance, transparent and with moderate tan foam that recedes at a reasonable rate.

Taste:A warm, comfot-food essence that indicative of the winter seasonals. Flavors are nutmeg, cinnamon and carmel. Oh, now I remember. Cask's detracters think it is Amber Bock incognito. With which I disagree because Cask gives one the warm and fuzzies when Amber Bock, though an occasional fall back of my choosing, is in the lager style. I like both, but prefer Cask in side-by-side comparison.

Mouth: nice mouthfeel. Thinly creamy.

Drink: Smoothly drinkable. Entertaining this season? Get some Bourbon Cask Ale. It will make a nice cordial for the party. Cheers!

12-22-2010 14:01:23 | More by MikeInIowa
beeragent

4.08/5  rDev +42.7%

Poured from a 12oz. bottle, into a pint glass. The beers appearance is a deep amber, with a good 1 inch head, that quickly faded, leaving slight lacing on the glass. The nose is mostly light vanilla sweetness. The taste is much like a Michelob Lager IMO, just a little thicker, and with a heavy amount of vanilla. The mouthfeel is a little thinner than what I would expect from a winter warmer, but very smooth going down. Vanilla flavoring isnt exactly what most beer drinkers want in their beer, but I think it compliments this beer extremely well. An impressive release from AB. One well worth sampling during the holiday season.

11-28-2006 04:55:54 | More by beeragent
Floyd12

4.05/5  rDev +41.6%

Poured from a 1/6 "Pony" keg into a pint glass

A- reddish brown color. While the original head is very nice and thick, it quickly dissipated leaving no lacing.

S- A sweet smelling beer of bourbon and vanilla. Light undertones of toasted grains.

T- Very sweet almost like a syrup. Strong vanilla and bourbon taste. But also a slight bitterness of hops at the end.

M-Slightly watery, the downside to this beer. while it has a sticky sense do to all the sweetness a much heavier quality to this beer would greatly improve it. Light beer with low carbonation just leaves too much missing.

D- High drinkability because of the sweetness. Its like a Cream Soda or Root Beer. Very pleasant but if heavier would be a much more enjoyable beer.

03-06-2011 22:12:24 | More by Floyd12
TheFightfan1

4.03/5  rDev +40.9%

A reddish golden clear color,nice off white foaming that disolves quickly with no lacing. Looks very alive very carbonated smells very sweet.Tastes sweet with a nice blend of vanilla immediately tasted. Goes down very smooth and sits well. A friend of mine gave me three of them so I don't know how much an average case cost but if under $30 dollars very reasonable.

12-10-2008 02:23:29 | More by TheFightfan1
Enola

4.03/5  rDev +40.9%

I know, I know. Such a high reveiw for A-B. But, I reveiw it true.

This is a good beer, bar none. Nevermind who it's by. I ran into this tonight at the Olde Hickory Taproom. The color is a deep, deep red. A very good looking brew. I could not get much smell out of it but it did have a spice like ting. The taste was WOW!!. I did not expcet this. A very smooth beer that had a sweet taste that was not unlike Vermont Maple Syrup. Like stated above, the mouthfeel was smooth. This is a good beer.I will have another pint or two before springtime comes.

01-08-2006 06:48:23 | More by Enola