Michelob Winter's Bourbon Cask Ale - Anheuser-Busch

poor

Anheuser-Busch visit their website
Missouri, United States

Winter Warmer |  6.00% ABV

During even the coldest of weather, warm up to the smooth, robust taste of our Winter's Bourbon Cask Ale. Full of rich aromas that you find in the winter months, hints of vanilla and flavorful hops, this is a beer that is great for pouring into a large tulip glass and enjoying with friends around a fireplace.

(Beer added by: JISurfer on 12-15-2005)

Anybody who gave this a rating below 4 is dead wrong. This is a smooth, thick, smoky, vanilla-y beer. A fantastic combination of flavors, extremely well executed by AB. I would challenge anyone to taste this beer blindly and rate it below a 4. Stop discriminating based on its macro maker. I rated this a 5 as to cancel out at least one of the low ratings. This beer is probably right around a 4 or 4.25. Everyone who has an opportunity should try it this winter.

BStone

I thought this was a great tasting beer. I've been searching for it. Guess I can stop the search.

4.99/5  rDev +74.5%

While I'm usually not a fan of sweeter beers this is one beer I would make an exception for. Perfect for a cool autumn evening or a chilly winter night. It paired perfectly with a couple of great chili cheese dogs & a football game on TV. I'm a big fan of it.

4.85/5  rDev +69.6%

A - reddish amber color
S - A mixture of Bourbon and Vanilla
T - Very well balanced flavors of Bourbon and Vanilla.
D - A nice flavor at begininng with a clean finish
One of the best beers I have had in a while. A great job of balancing the destinctive flavors that finishes nicely. Overall a great beer that I would definitely recommend.

4.75/5  rDev +66.1%

4.75/5  rDev +66.1%

4.63/5  rDev +61.9%

Appearance - The beautiful dark malt flavor with just a small tenacious head looked excellent in the glass after pouring. The small head created a nice pleasant lacing throughout the drinking experience.

Smell - Who doesn't love the smell of vanilla? You can still smell the hops in the background but the great smell of the vanilla is awesome.

Taste - This beer has a great malty flavor with enough hops to offset the bitter sweetness of the malt. You get the a little bourbon taste in the middle but just a hint of the vanilla in the after taste. Well balanced.

Mouthfeel - This beer was a little light and in need of a little body.

Drinkability - After a few of bottles of this beer you will need a lighter beer if you plan on continuing the beer drinking experience at the office party.

This beer actually interested my wife. She asked for a small glass for herself which is amazing. Her beer of choice is usually Coors Light.

4.53/5  rDev +58.4%

An overall great beer in my opinion. This was my first time trying a cask beer, and to say the least I was impressed. Many critics are surely against this beer simply because it is made by A-B. Better than anything Sam Adams has produced, and puts the name "porter" to shame.

I usually dislike thicker beers like this, but it's presence was by no means sickening or meager to my palate. A hint of vanilla was there that is all I can really say.

4.5/5  rDev +57.3%

4.35/5  rDev +52.1%

I was really surprised by this beer, as it's been many years since I paid money for any AB beer. I was given a small sample, which I thought was good enough to warrant getting a 23oz glass on tap for $5.95.

The beer had about a 1/2 inch head on it and looked really nice the way the light was hitting it, giving it an amber-ruby colour. There is a slight sweetness to it, though nothing extreme. The mouthfeel is a little better than your average AB beer, though maybe a little on the thin side (as all AB beers are). The beer had an pleasantly interesting aftertaste that lingered a nice while. Unfortunately, I cannot say I detected any bourbon flavor, though. Another poster mentioned a vanilla taste. For me, it was more of a cream soda flavor, though not nearly as sweet as a soda (I realize that cream soda is based on vanilla, but is still slightly different in taste than vanilla). The 6% abv is a slight but welcomed increase on AB's typical 5% level and left me feeling good after finishing the beer.

All in all a very good beer that stands out not only from AB's lineup, but from many beers in general. Though I would most likely never buy this in a bottle, I'd gladly get it again on tap. As AB has a brewery in my town (Williamsburg, VA), I'll probably run into this beer again this winter.

4.33/5  rDev +51.4%

I found this unique winter ale on a trip to Wegmans in Bethlehem, PA. The flavor of the bourbon and vanilla beans are very noticeable. It's a very strong tasting beer with the overall thinness that you would expect from a Michelob beer. It makes for a very interesting conversation starter and holiday taste sampling. However, though I greatly enjoy the beer, I don't find it to be a beer for mass consumption.
Overall, I was very happy with this beer and would buy it again. I find that I greatly enjoy sipping through a glass while relaxing at home.

4.33/5  rDev +51.4%

this beer was one i enjoyed over at a gathering of friends who enjoy good beer at first i was like oh ok its a cool bottle after all thats how we chose at least a few beer we want to try,,,the color was a nice amber,,the teaste at first nothing special to me but after a few sips the flavor of the vanilla came threw the mouth feel was pretty good too,,,the drinkability was very drinkable in fack i whent out and got some of my own,,,a beer i would share with friends for sure

4.28/5  rDev +49.7%

This is a very pretty beer, ummm!. About the same color as the brown bottle with a light brown head.
It smells wonderful. Vanilla and just a hint of bourbon.
Delicious. This is easily the best BMC product I've ever had. It's got a true craft beer taste and feel. It's lighter than most other beers of this style, but I rate it as an excellent beverage that really surprised me.

4.25/5  rDev +48.6%

i dont know what people are looking for in this beer , but this a great beer . it pours like a scottish ale taste like scottish ale and looks like a scottish ale its a great beer and i for one cant for it the come out , its has the right amount of vanilla beans in it. best beer by michelob hand downs so open a beer enjoy it

4.22/5  rDev +47.6%

Perfectly clear appearance, amber-brown in color. A beige - nearly tan - head lasts right to the last drop. Smell is literally mouth-watering and suggests oak and vanilla to me. Starts sweet, slightly dry, and very smooth. Full bodied, becoming sharper as it rests on your tongue. The flavors aren't anything i can specifically pick out, but they certainly lived up to the aroma. Finish is extremely dry with a whiskey edge over a porter taste. Certainly my favorite A-B product to date.

4.1/5  rDev +43.4%

I gave this brew a second spin. Tried a couple of years back and liked then, but, alas, no notepad was with me at the time (read: non-critical tasting was going on then.) Bad addy! I know. I know.

Nose;Cask has a nice, spicy aroma with scents of cinnamon and roasted malt.

Look: deep amber in appearance, transparent and with moderate tan foam that recedes at a reasonable rate.

Taste:A warm, comfot-food essence that indicative of the winter seasonals. Flavors are nutmeg, cinnamon and carmel. Oh, now I remember. Cask's detracters think it is Amber Bock incognito. With which I disagree because Cask gives one the warm and fuzzies when Amber Bock, though an occasional fall back of my choosing, is in the lager style. I like both, but prefer Cask in side-by-side comparison.

Mouth: nice mouthfeel. Thinly creamy.

Drink: Smoothly drinkable. Entertaining this season? Get some Bourbon Cask Ale. It will make a nice cordial for the party. Cheers!

4.08/5  rDev +42.7%

Poured from a 12oz. bottle, into a pint glass. The beers appearance is a deep amber, with a good 1 inch head, that quickly faded, leaving slight lacing on the glass. The nose is mostly light vanilla sweetness. The taste is much like a Michelob Lager IMO, just a little thicker, and with a heavy amount of vanilla. The mouthfeel is a little thinner than what I would expect from a winter warmer, but very smooth going down. Vanilla flavoring isnt exactly what most beer drinkers want in their beer, but I think it compliments this beer extremely well. An impressive release from AB. One well worth sampling during the holiday season.

4.05/5  rDev +41.6%

Poured from a 1/6 "Pony" keg into a pint glass

A- reddish brown color. While the original head is very nice and thick, it quickly dissipated leaving no lacing.

S- A sweet smelling beer of bourbon and vanilla. Light undertones of toasted grains.

T- Very sweet almost like a syrup. Strong vanilla and bourbon taste. But also a slight bitterness of hops at the end.

M-Slightly watery, the downside to this beer. while it has a sticky sense do to all the sweetness a much heavier quality to this beer would greatly improve it. Light beer with low carbonation just leaves too much missing.

D- High drinkability because of the sweetness. Its like a Cream Soda or Root Beer. Very pleasant but if heavier would be a much more enjoyable beer.

4.03/5  rDev +40.9%

A reddish golden clear color,nice off white foaming that disolves quickly with no lacing. Looks very alive very carbonated smells very sweet.Tastes sweet with a nice blend of vanilla immediately tasted. Goes down very smooth and sits well. A friend of mine gave me three of them so I don't know how much an average case cost but if under $30 dollars very reasonable.

Michelob Winter's Bourbon Cask Ale from Anheuser-Busch