Michelob Winter's Bourbon Cask Ale - Anheuser-Busch

Anheuser-Busch visit their website
Missouri, United States

Winter Warmer |  6.00% ABV

Beer added by: JISurfer on 12-15-2005

During even the coldest of weather, warm up to the smooth, robust taste of our Winter's Bourbon Cask Ale. Full of rich aromas that you find in the winter months, hints of vanilla and flavorful hops, this is a beer that is great for pouring into a large tulip glass and enjoying with friends around a fireplace.

Anybody who gave this a rating below 4 is dead wrong. This is a smooth, thick, smoky, vanilla-y beer. A fantastic combination of flavors, extremely well executed by AB. I would challenge anyone to taste this beer blindly and rate it below a 4. Stop discriminating based on its macro maker. I rated this a 5 as to cancel out at least one of the low ratings. This beer is probably right around a 4 or 4.25. Everyone who has an opportunity should try it this winter.

BStone (471 characters)

4.99/5  rDev +74.5%

While I'm usually not a fan of sweeter beers this is one beer I would make an exception for. Perfect for a cool autumn evening or a chilly winter night. It paired perfectly with a couple of great chili cheese dogs & a football game on TV. I'm a big fan of it. (259 characters)

4.84/5  rDev +69.2%

A - reddish amber color
S - A mixture of Bourbon and Vanilla
T - Very well balanced flavors of Bourbon and Vanilla.
D - A nice flavor at begininng with a clean finish
One of the best beers I have had in a while. A great job of balancing the destinctive flavors that finishes nicely. Overall a great beer that I would definitely recommend. (339 characters)

4.62/5  rDev +61.5%

Appearance - The beautiful dark malt flavor with just a small tenacious head looked excellent in the glass after pouring. The small head created a nice pleasant lacing throughout the drinking experience.

Smell - Who doesn't love the smell of vanilla? You can still smell the hops in the background but the great smell of the vanilla is awesome.

Taste - This beer has a great malty flavor with enough hops to offset the bitter sweetness of the malt. You get the a little bourbon taste in the middle but just a hint of the vanilla in the after taste. Well balanced.

Mouthfeel - This beer was a little light and in need of a little body.

Drinkability - After a few of bottles of this beer you will need a lighter beer if you plan on continuing the beer drinking experience at the office party.

This beer actually interested my wife. She asked for a small glass for herself which is amazing. Her beer of choice is usually Coors Light. (935 characters)

4.5/5  rDev +57.3%

An overall great beer in my opinion. This was my first time trying a cask beer, and to say the least I was impressed. Many critics are surely against this beer simply because it is made by A-B. Better than anything Sam Adams has produced, and puts the name "porter" to shame.

I usually dislike thicker beers like this, but it's presence was by no means sickening or meager to my palate. A hint of vanilla was there that is all I can really say. (445 characters)

4.34/5  rDev +51.7%

I found this unique winter ale on a trip to Wegmans in Bethlehem, PA. The flavor of the bourbon and vanilla beans are very noticeable. It's a very strong tasting beer with the overall thinness that you would expect from a Michelob beer. It makes for a very interesting conversation starter and holiday taste sampling. However, though I greatly enjoy the beer, I don't find it to be a beer for mass consumption.
Overall, I was very happy with this beer and would buy it again. I find that I greatly enjoy sipping through a glass while relaxing at home. (553 characters)

4.33/5  rDev +51.4%

I was really surprised by this beer, as it's been many years since I paid money for any AB beer. I was given a small sample, which I thought was good enough to warrant getting a 23oz glass on tap for $5.95.

The beer had about a 1/2 inch head on it and looked really nice the way the light was hitting it, giving it an amber-ruby colour. There is a slight sweetness to it, though nothing extreme. The mouthfeel is a little better than your average AB beer, though maybe a little on the thin side (as all AB beers are). The beer had an pleasantly interesting aftertaste that lingered a nice while. Unfortunately, I cannot say I detected any bourbon flavor, though. Another poster mentioned a vanilla taste. For me, it was more of a cream soda flavor, though not nearly as sweet as a soda (I realize that cream soda is based on vanilla, but is still slightly different in taste than vanilla). The 6% abv is a slight but welcomed increase on AB's typical 5% level and left me feeling good after finishing the beer.

All in all a very good beer that stands out not only from AB's lineup, but from many beers in general. Though I would most likely never buy this in a bottle, I'd gladly get it again on tap. As AB has a brewery in my town (Williamsburg, VA), I'll probably run into this beer again this winter. (1,306 characters)

4.32/5  rDev +51%

This is a very pretty beer, ummm!. About the same color as the brown bottle with a light brown head.
It smells wonderful. Vanilla and just a hint of bourbon.
Delicious. This is easily the best BMC product I've ever had. It's got a true craft beer taste and feel. It's lighter than most other beers of this style, but I rate it as an excellent beverage that really surprised me. (377 characters)

4.3/5  rDev +50.3%

this beer was one i enjoyed over at a gathering of friends who enjoy good beer at first i was like oh ok its a cool bottle after all thats how we chose at least a few beer we want to try,,,the color was a nice amber,,the teaste at first nothing special to me but after a few sips the flavor of the vanilla came threw the mouth feel was pretty good too,,,the drinkability was very drinkable in fack i whent out and got some of my own,,,a beer i would share with friends for sure (477 characters)

4.26/5  rDev +49%

i dont know what people are looking for in this beer , but this a great beer . it pours like a scottish ale taste like scottish ale and looks like a scottish ale its a great beer and i for one cant for it the come out , its has the right amount of vanilla beans in it. best beer by michelob hand downs so open a beer enjoy it (325 characters)

4.21/5  rDev +47.2%

Perfectly clear appearance, amber-brown in color. A beige - nearly tan - head lasts right to the last drop. Smell is literally mouth-watering and suggests oak and vanilla to me. Starts sweet, slightly dry, and very smooth. Full bodied, becoming sharper as it rests on your tongue. The flavors aren't anything i can specifically pick out, but they certainly lived up to the aroma. Finish is extremely dry with a whiskey edge over a porter taste. Certainly my favorite A-B product to date. (487 characters)

4.1/5  rDev +43.4%

I gave this brew a second spin. Tried a couple of years back and liked then, but, alas, no notepad was with me at the time (read: non-critical tasting was going on then.) Bad addy! I know. I know.

Nose;Cask has a nice, spicy aroma with scents of cinnamon and roasted malt.

Look: deep amber in appearance, transparent and with moderate tan foam that recedes at a reasonable rate.

Taste:A warm, comfot-food essence that indicative of the winter seasonals. Flavors are nutmeg, cinnamon and carmel. Oh, now I remember. Cask's detracters think it is Amber Bock incognito. With which I disagree because Cask gives one the warm and fuzzies when Amber Bock, though an occasional fall back of my choosing, is in the lager style. I like both, but prefer Cask in side-by-side comparison.

Mouth: nice mouthfeel. Thinly creamy.

Drink: Smoothly drinkable. Entertaining this season? Get some Bourbon Cask Ale. It will make a nice cordial for the party. Cheers! (955 characters)

4.07/5  rDev +42.3%

Poured from a 1/6 "Pony" keg into a pint glass

A- reddish brown color. While the original head is very nice and thick, it quickly dissipated leaving no lacing.

S- A sweet smelling beer of bourbon and vanilla. Light undertones of toasted grains.

T- Very sweet almost like a syrup. Strong vanilla and bourbon taste. But also a slight bitterness of hops at the end.

M-Slightly watery, the downside to this beer. while it has a sticky sense do to all the sweetness a much heavier quality to this beer would greatly improve it. Light beer with low carbonation just leaves too much missing.

D- High drinkability because of the sweetness. Its like a Cream Soda or Root Beer. Very pleasant but if heavier would be a much more enjoyable beer. (738 characters)

4.03/5  rDev +40.9%

Poured from a 12oz. bottle, into a pint glass. The beers appearance is a deep amber, with a good 1 inch head, that quickly faded, leaving slight lacing on the glass. The nose is mostly light vanilla sweetness. The taste is much like a Michelob Lager IMO, just a little thicker, and with a heavy amount of vanilla. The mouthfeel is a little thinner than what I would expect from a winter warmer, but very smooth going down. Vanilla flavoring isnt exactly what most beer drinkers want in their beer, but I think it compliments this beer extremely well. An impressive release from AB. One well worth sampling during the holiday season. (632 characters)

4.02/5  rDev +40.6%

A reddish golden clear color,nice off white foaming that disolves quickly with no lacing. Looks very alive very carbonated smells very sweet.Tastes sweet with a nice blend of vanilla immediately tasted. Goes down very smooth and sits well. A friend of mine gave me three of them so I don't know how much an average case cost but if under $30 dollars very reasonable. (366 characters)

Pours a dark caramel with a long lasting head. I smelled oak, vanilla and malt...this is from AB??? The taste carried the same oak, vanilla and malt quality...with a hint of hops on the finish. Mouthfeel is medium and smooth.
Very quaffable on the drinakability scale. I guess this show that a macro berewery can do ok with a special offering...a very pleasant surprise. (371 characters)

look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

ok, not too many seem to be real impressed with this beer. I think it's a pretty good winter wamer. Nice deep amber color, poured into an ale glass. Aromas of vanilla, and a sweet malt and spices. On first taste, strong vanilla and hints of hops. Very slight bourbon, or even maybe brany notes. Maybe they got their barrels mixed up. Overall, I think it's a pretty good beer. cheers! (383 characters)

3.97/5  rDev +38.8%

Poured from a 12 ounce bottle into a beer glass.

Appearance: Caramel mahogany color...light taupe head.

Smell: Very rich and sweet caramel malty nose. Just a pinch of vanilla.

Taste/Mouthfeel: Medium carbonation is an ample medium through which to channel the rich caramel malts and gentle vanilla tones. The oaked flavor is a great compliment to these other flavors, and the aftertaste is all vanilla. Rinses smoothly.

Drinkability: In the colder months, it would definitely serve its purpose as a winter warmer. Outside of that timeframe, served ice cold, it could be a great dessert beer.

I was pleasantly surprised by this one. (636 characters)

3.96/5  rDev +38.5%

I know, I know. Such a high reveiw for A-B. But, I reveiw it true.

This is a good beer, bar none. Nevermind who it's by. I ran into this tonight at the Olde Hickory Taproom. The color is a deep, deep red. A very good looking brew. I could not get much smell out of it but it did have a spice like ting. The taste was WOW!!. I did not expcet this. A very smooth beer that had a sweet taste that was not unlike Vermont Maple Syrup. Like stated above, the mouthfeel was smooth. This is a good beer.I will have another pint or two before springtime comes. (555 characters)

2006 Bottling.

Pours a lovely garnet color with a minimal head. Subtle hints of vanilla bean and bourbon waft from the glass. Taste is a mix of vanilla, toffee and then the bourbon peeks through in the finish. I think AB did a great job balancing the flavors in this beer. The mouthfeel is a bit thin, I'd like to see a bit more body, but I'm nitpicking. One thing I really like is that they didn't use synthetic vanilla flavoring, they used real Madagascar vanilla beans, and it tastes it. Pretty good beer and deserving of a better overall rating than the reviews reflect imho. (582 characters)

3.95/5  rDev +38.1%

Just scored the 2007 version of this beer. Pours clear amber, with foamy, creamy tan head.

Smells of vanilla, and grains.

Tastes of obvious vanilla, hints of hops and dark fruit, maybe even apples.

Finishes with a pop of alcohol. Clean, not offensive.

I like this beer. I don't think I could drink more than 1 or 2 at a sitting, but, a nice winter warmer.

EDIT 9/27/2008

Just dug a 2007 version from the fridge, not expecting the 6% ABV to hold too well. But, the thing held up well, and smoothed out. The vanilla got a bit sweeter, and the apple flavor really popped. (574 characters)

3.95/5  rDev +38.1%

I know it is a bud product and to the elitests in crowd maybe admitting you enjoy it would be seen as whoring for the great satan, but to hell with it, I like this stuff.

It is not flashy and it does not knock you off your feet with brew craft but it is a solid little bottle of beer, ale, what have you.

A- Nice auburn, copper color, clear as a bell. It would get a higher mark if the head did not disappear quickly.

S- I do get a good boubon and oak fragrance. I drink a fair amount of Bourbon, (HMMM you guys might want to start a Bourbon advocate if it does not already exist), so I was pleased to find that the Bourbon comes through. The vanilla is a little, just a little, strong for me but not much of a detractor.

T- The taste is like finally having sex with that cute waitress you have been flirting with at your favorite watering hole. Sure it is nothing to deep or complex, but your glad you finally did it and wouldn't mind making it a regular habit. The vanilla taste is not as strong as the smell, and that is a nice surpise. There is a nice little hint of wood in the taste as well as that sweet but slightly sharp taste you get drinking bourbon. Again, nothing earth shattering, but kind or fun and enjoyable.

M- slighly slick and a little syrupy. Moist is another good way to describe the feel. long on finish.

D- good, 3 to 6 would go down well and with little taste bud or digestive gymnastics needed. Even though it is a "winter ale" I think it would actually be a better warm weather beer. (1,518 characters)

3.92/5  rDev +37.1%

I first tried this beer on tap and was very pleasantly surprised. It had a nice color and the taste was somewhat complex and not in any way overly sweet. I was so impressed I actually decided to pick up a six pack of it the next time I was getting beer. Big mistake. It seems like a completely different beer from the bottle. It seems a little lighter than I remembered it being and the taste is a lot sweeter and an overabundance of vanilla covering up any beer flavor that might be hidden in there. Consistency may be a huge issue with this beer so people who enjoy it and people who hate it might be drinking a very different beer from one and other. (653 characters)

3.89/5  rDev +36%

Appearance- Nice amber red color. Between a finger and two head lasting a decent amount of time.

Smell- Slight vanilla Scent nothing over powering.

Taste- Good flavor. Slight vanilla taste. Alchol is not too overpowering.

Mouthfeel- Smooth with a bit of a bite at the begining.

Drinkabilty- All around a decent beer. I like this much better then most of Anheuser-busch products. It has a unique taste that i havent had in other beers before.

Serving- 12oz bottle (478 characters)

3.88/5  rDev +35.7%

Poured a deep amber red color with massive off-white head. Great retention and modest lacing.
Smell is lightly of vanill and sweet malt.
Taste is pleasnt with a nice firm maltiness, some vanilla, a bit of dark fruit, and distinct drying finish.
Nice tasty beer without going to extremes (289 characters)

Michelob Winter's Bourbon Cask Ale from Anheuser-Busch