Michelob Winter's Bourbon Cask Ale - Anheuser-Busch

poor

Anheuser-Busch visit their website
Missouri, United States

Winter Warmer |  6.00% ABV

During even the coldest of weather, warm up to the smooth, robust taste of our Winter's Bourbon Cask Ale. Full of rich aromas that you find in the winter months, hints of vanilla and flavorful hops, this is a beer that is great for pouring into a large tulip glass and enjoying with friends around a fireplace.

(Beer added by: JISurfer on 12-15-2005)

1.05/5  rDev -63.3%

I bought a case of this for $10 thinking how bad could it be...

Well, michelob didnt fail to surprise me.

This is literally the worst beer I have ever had. It tastes like someone took a shitty winter warmer and dumped burnt wood and vanilla extract into it. The mouth was sticky and cloyingly sweet. It smelled like a toxic campfire. We ended up shooting most of the case with a bb gun...hahahaha

1.13/5  rDev -60.5%

Pours a dark amber with a big fluffy beige head. looks pretty good. I get a smell of woody cereal and something that is not quite right. Kind of a metal smell. Its not good. I really tried to taste this beer with an open mind. This does not even taste like beer. This was one of those rare drain pours. I think the best thing about this beer, besides it being free (thanks Jeff) was the label.

1.25/5  rDev -56.3%

I just sampled two very good winter warmers and this sadly can't even touch their quality. This is a sad extract laden attempt at making a winter warmer. No need to read further but I must continue.

Poured into a tulip it formed an off white head that falls to a small island and little lace. Shiney copper body with varied sized carbonation.

It is heavily leaning ...aww hell it doesn't lean anywhere IT IS extremely sweet. Cream soda with a shot of vanilla extract comes to mind. Syrupy mouthfeel and creamy on the palate. This has a hard time cleaning up but there is a peppered aspect late in the finish that was the highlight for me.

Notes: I don't care who its brewed by this is simply bad. Where does the bourbon cask come into play??? I suppose if I really wanted to dig I can get a touch of bourbon but mostly it tastes like vanilla extract and cream soda. Pass.

1.27/5  rDev -55.6%

This was not a very good quality beer. I felt like i was drinking Vanilla Extract. This beer had a very distinct taste, but it was def not something i would ever drink again. It's something of a festive beer, and you might want to drink it to get in the mood for Christmas, but other than that, i would def not recommend it. Overall i give it an F.

1.35/5  rDev -52.8%

A - Golden Copper with a head that does not last long. The look is about the only thing that was some what promising

S - Couldn't tell much in a bar that what somewhat smokey - maybe a hint of vanilla

T - Like I had ordered a rum and coke with a splash of beer. Yuk. Man, I was not expecting this. Very bad

M - Little carbonation and not much in the way of hops to start or end to help this horrible experiance any.

D - No thanks. If this is an attempt to draw the mass population to craft beer than bad job. If this was an attempt to draw some craft beer fans over to try some AB product than bad job.

1.35/5  rDev -52.8%

Slightly hazed copper. Minimal head. Beige in color. Very little lacing is left behind. Artificial vanilla aroma. Sweet, sweet aroma. This is horrible fucking stuff. It's like a mix of anti-freeze, cough syrup and sweet cream soda. I will not be able to finish this. Look up the word "artificial" in the dictionary and you will see this beer pictured. I'm SO damn glad I only wasted 1.20 for a single of this instead of 7-8 for a six pack.

1.38/5  rDev -51.7%

Pours clear and dark orange with a thin head that doesn't last.

This is not an easy beer to like. It's aroma does not inspire me, and it's flavor is far too poor for it's price. It has a light vanilla flavor, but it does not enhance its drinkability. The vanilla flavor is almost fake. This beer has no bite and the aftertaste is unpleasant.

I won't be buying this beer again.

1.38/5  rDev -51.7%

Serving type: brown bottle with holiday themed label. The design did not make it apparent that this was a Anheuser-Busch beer until I got home and really took notice of the finer print on the carrier pack.I was under the impression this may have been a microbrew.

Appearance: This beer has a good amber color to it and is crystal clear. In fact, it has many of the physical characteristics of a lager, not an ale. The head was very thin, as is characteristic of Budweiser lager.

Smell: There is a strong scent of artificial banana (reminds me of banana Laffy Taffy). It's somewhat similar to cream soda. There is no hint of hops or roasted grain in the nose at all.

Taste: Simply awful, to be blunt. There is no hop or barley presence in the flavor. I get the familiar rice/corn thinness of flavor mixed with what tastes like imitation vanilla mixed with rum extract. I do not get any hint of bourbon. The flavor comes and goes quickly, and the aftertaste is not pleasant to experience ot describe.

Mouthfeel: This beer is thin. There's not much body to it at all, which contributes to the short-lived taste. It's quite carbonated, again like traditional Bud lager. My mouth feels tacky, almost like I've been licking envelopes, when waiting 30 seconds or more between tastes.

Drinkability: What can I say, I'm not finishing this bottle, and I'm likely to dump the other five bottles down the drain or try to pawn them off on others. I was very unimpressed.

On a side note, this beer is 6%, so while it may not be a pleasure to drink, it certainly will get you drunk... eventually.

1.4/5  rDev -51%

I wasn't paying close attention to my server; if I had been, I would have asked about the brewer.

A: Um, light? For a winter warmer, for most ales, for beer. The head faded like soda.

S: Vanilla, mostly, perhaps a weak clove aroma.

T: Woof. Not good. Sweet and bland, like a flat soda.

MF: Lighter than light. Not far from a macro lager, even a light lager.

D: The body certainly makes it drinkable, if you like the taste. I didn't, so I won't be ordering this one again.

1.43/5  rDev -50%

I finally picked up a six pack of this after contemplating it for the past few weeks. Brought it home along with a four pack of Guiness pint cans. All I can say is that I'm very glad I chose to grab the Guiness. This stuff is terrible! The vanilla is way overpowering. Imagine drinking concentrated cream soda and you will get an idea of just how undrinkable this beer is. I managed to put away half a 12 oz. bottle and had to dump the rest down the drain. I will try to give away the rest of this six pack to some friends, just so I can get their reaction to how poor this beer is - I'm sure they will agree. It should not have been included with other imports at my local shop - I feel I must file a complaint with the manager over this. Very disapppointing.

1.43/5  rDev -50%

Man... after sampling the latest craft-style brews from AB (Bud American Ale & five different Michelob products which were all good), I was hopeful... this one is where it all went wrong.
Nice red color, but the head was very small and didn't stick much at all.
Smelled of vanilla and that's about it. Maybe some grainy malt. Same can be said of the taste. Vanilla is way overdone and artificial tasting. Reminded me of spiced rum, like somebody added a shot of cheap liquor to my cheap beer. I tried to pull out some oak and hops that the label promised, but alas, the weird vanilla was not to be denied my full attention. Tastes more like a bad cream soda than a Winter Warmer. Had an awful bitter aftertaste that lingered way too long (same nasty bitter aftertaste you get with vanilla flavored coffees).
Mouthfeel was thin and unremarkable.
Way too vanilla-y. Pretty much undrinkable.
Not cool.

1.45/5  rDev -49.3%

Ever since I moved to a state where beer is available in the grocery store, I tend to try a lot of new beers - the selection isn't fantastic but over time, new six packs show up here and there. This beer was one of them.

I like dark beers. I like winter warmers. I like bourbon quite a bit - depending on what day it is, it might be my favorite liquor. What I read on the label sounded interesting - something about bourbon barrels and a hint of vanilla. It sounded intriguing.

When I poured it I immediately noticed a very strong odor of vanilla - it seemed artificial. That's fine, I thought - it looked like a nice beer in the glass. Drinking it, however, was another story. The smell was almost nothing but overpowering artificial vanilla. The mouthfeel was about standard for an Anheuser-Busch macrobrew. The taste was absolutely nothing but overpowering artificial vanilla. The taste was easily the worst part - I had to be very careful to limit both the taste and smell of the beer otherwise I had to fight against the gag reflex. It tasted like a bad air freshener, and that's saying alot.

I guess the particularly telling statistic is that I struggled through two bottles (at least 1.5 of which was strictly because I hate wasting things). The last 4 got put out with the recycling, and I left them full and on top in the hopes that maybe the recycling guys found some free beer on top. I sure wasn't going to drink it, and this beer joins Cave Creek Chili Beer as my all-time worst.

1.48/5  rDev -48.3%

Pours a dark amber with an tan head that fades fast. The pop-like fizz of the beer already makes me wonder. There is not much to the smell, mostly sweet vanilla, some grainy smells as well. The taste is pretty bad, a glorified creme soda, like someone added vanilla extract and seltzer water to a macro. The mouthfeel is pretty bad, the carbonation is over the top, the body is watery, the flavors don't balance. This one was hard to rate because I wanted to drink enough of the beer to give it a fair shot. But after half a beer, I had to dump this one, which is a first for me. I would avoid this one, so many other great vanilla beers if that is what you are looking for.

1.5/5  rDev -47.6%

This beer was very disappointing. Other reviewers have been spot on then they described the taste as Bud with too much imitation vanilla extract that overpowers any actual beer flavor. The beer comes off as rather contrived and it was a real chore to finish. I wouldn't recommend it.

1.5/5  rDev -47.6%

Well... this taste horrible.

Poured into a pint glass. Head never really exists. Light carbonation. Reddish, tan color. The smell is really nasty. It smells like rotten fruit (bananas, apples, and grapes). The taste is horribly out of balance. It tastes like cotton candy ice cream mixed with bittersweet oaky busch light. In the words of Samir Nahinanajad: "This... is a f--k"

Update: The last 2/3 of this went down the drain. This is the second beer I've ever done this with...I don't waste beer.

1.5/5  rDev -47.6%

Clear amber beer, looks thin and watery and without head. Livley carbonation visible. Smells weird like brine or pimento olive juice. Sweet notes of malt, some very artificial "bourbon" vanilla smokiness, some hints of vanilla beans but not nearly enough. Taste is pathetic. Limp, lacking any flavor. Seriously thin tastes, there is almost nothing of note. What tastes exist are slightly sour, grainy and flat fake "bourbon" tastes. Beer feels thin and weak, nothing fulling or warming like a real winter seasonal should be. Drinkability is very low.

1.5/5  rDev -47.6%

Bourbon!?!?!?!?! hahahahahaha bourbon my as-. That bourgon cask is the oldest most tired cask ever found. This beer tastes like the worst cake frosting I've ever had. Who in the hell authorized this. Can them now! e-gads. Poured with a bit of head. no lace. Color aint bad, but you cant taste color. Proof is here. Body's not bad either if you can get by the taste. A friend calls this beer "pink". Finish is awful. Session beer? hahahahaha maybe in guantanamo.

1.55/5  rDev -45.8%

Tasted from draught at Mac's here in Charlotte. DISCLAIMER: I didn't know this was A-B when I ordered, but as soon as I smelled it I had a hunch. I've gotten pretty good at spotting the fake micros.

It actually doesn't look bad. Medium amber color, but not much head. Smells like fake vanilla. Tastes like fake vanilla. Overwhelmingly so. Like a pint of chemicals. It reminded me of that Da Vinci vanilla syrup (the crappy kind). So maybe it would appeal to people who like that. The body and mouthfeel were very thin, almost watery.

This beer sucked, and I want to slap whomever put it on tap.

Michelob Winter's Bourbon Cask Ale from Anheuser-Busch