Michelob Ultra Amber - Anheuser-Busch

Anheuser-Busch visit their website
Missouri, United States

Light Lager |  4.00% ABV

Beer added by: murphysbleachers on 01-26-2006

Brewed using the finest two-row and dark-roasted specialty malts for color, and a blend of imported and premium United States-grown noble aroma hops for balance and flavor.
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Michelob Ultra Amber Alström Bros
2.71/5  rDev +13.9%

Poured from a brown 12 oz. bottle. Has a light brown color with a 1/2 inch head. Smell is mild, some faint malts. Taste is also mild, some malts, a touch of bitterness, nothing special but not the worst light beer I have tasted. Feels light in the mouth and has average drinkability. Overall not that bad as far as light beers go.

2.56/5  rDev +7.6%

A- Dark golden color with white foamy head that fades fast and leaves minimal soapy lace.

S- Very faint. Corn, rice, faint malt, and metallic notes.

T- Faint sweet malt, watery, metallic notes, corn and rice.

M- Highly carbonated, watery, light and crips. Refreshing.

D- Better than a lot of macro light beers, refreshing summertime beer, but nothing to write home about.

2.23/5  rDev -6.3%

Pours a nice amber color, nice carbonation, with a nice one-finger plus white head, with some nice sticky lacing left behind. The nose is malty, very light hop note, with some funky corn/rice notes. The taste is sweet, malty, but with the classic macro taste. Light body. Not Drinkable, started off pretty good, but still not worth buying again.

2.58/5  rDev +8.4%

Home from college. My fifty-one-year-old father is a health freak, and thusly only keeps Michelob Ultra on hand. Despite the frigid temperatures we've had in Charlotte all week, I decided that on this particular night I would drink on his dime, and grabbed one of these gems from the fridge.

I've had plenty of these before; this, however, is the first time I haven't had one straight from the bottle. I decided that I'd show this Mich Ultra Amber the luxurious side of the beer world that I doubt many of his brethren hardly ever have the pleasure of experiencing, and poured him into my finest tulip glass.

The beer jumps out of the bottle, much like a soda. It had a weird little white head with almost no staying power that fizzed and then disappeared, almost as if it had never existed at all. It reminds me a lot of how it looked just now when I poured a Coke into a glass. However, the beer's actual appearance was much more pleasing than the head had been: It exuded a nice, dark-golden hue, similar to that of apple cider (but not nearly as murky). If I didn't know any better, I'd almost think I were sitting down to enjoy a pretty decent brown ale...

...But after a whiff, this calorie-counter's alcoholic beverage of choice isn't fooling anyone. I smell...well, nearly nothing. I'm not too good with the technical jargon, but in this case, I don't even need it. Corn. Faint malt. Alcohol. A little bit of metal (and this thing's in a bottle...hmmm...).

After...minimal...anticipation, I finally got a chance to whet my palate with this baby. I'll make one thing clear, although it should have been quite clear to you even before reading this: This beer is not going to blow anyone away. But being a light lager, it isn't terrible. I must admit: It sort of tastes like beer. It's ice-cold, and pretty damn refreshing. Granted, it's fifteen degrees outside, so that's pretty irrelevant now. But on a hot summer's day, this is a good alternative to water. That's really what it is. Beer-flavored sparkling water. I need to put a call in to LaCrois...

This beer's highly carbonated, and it really does feel good in my mouth. It's the perfect swigging beer. I'm actually regretting throwing this thing in the tulip: It's warming too fast. Next one--yes, there shall be a "next one"--is definitely staying in the bottle.

A suggestion: Drink this beer while munching on some peanuts (allergens, or lack thereof, provided). It compliments them so well. Not really sure why...but just try it. I'm not a health freak and I like my beers heavy and calorie-laden. But on the off-chance that I go work out and need to re-hydrate afterward, I'll definitely reach for a Mich Ultra Amber...or five.

2.8/5  rDev +17.6%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 4

A: Clear gold color with a soda-like fizzy head.

S: Sweet malty corn with a tiny bit of a hoppy aroma.

T: Sweet somewhat flavorless taste. There is a slight toasted malt and hoppiness in the beer, but it is drowned out by the sweetness of the beer.

M: Thin and fizzy.

D: I like this beer way better than the regular ultra or the fruity flavored ultras. If I were forced to choose a low calorie beer, this would be the one.

2.58/5  rDev +8.4%

Reviewed from notes.

Pours a moderate amber brown with a slight off white head. Leaves behind a tad bit of lacing. Nose brings forth some amber malt and grain husks. Taste is pretty weak. Really not much going on here. Feel is light; too light. Drinks okay and is one of the better $4.99 six packs around, but nothing too special.

2.44/5  rDev +2.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Another "gem" grabbed in the singles aisle at Bloom yesterday, this one I just could not wait to rip into. Poured into a pint glass cold, it was consumed on 08/23/2010.

Really a very nice pour here, with a darker amber color then I would have thought and a nice and level two inches of white foam that capped the top of the glass. Unfortunately that was about the extent of it.

Sweet malts were there, but terribly light and mixed in with the all too familiar corn and light bready grains just gave it that classic macro aroma with a sweet twist. Light body with lots of carbonation let it go down quickly and smooth, and that was fine as the flavor was just not there. Light caramel, corn, hay, just not what I would call a good choice. No aftertaste other then a stale, skunky flavor for a brief moment.

Overall what can you say, I knew what this one was going to be going in and my opinion was about dead on. Not the worst by far, nut nothing really interesting either.

1.98/5  rDev -16.8%

consumed 03-31-2009, 12oz bottle into pint glass

appearance: poured a little lighter than most ambers. It had a very little head that quickly disappeared. Left very little lacing.

smell: a strange aroma with a slight metallic note.

taste: initially I got a corn taste with a slight bit of malt that followed with a very very very slight bitter taste midway. After you swallow the brew, you get a dry finish. Literally there is no taste after it goes down.

mouthfeel: very carbonated with no actual taste until you start to swallow.

drinkability: ehh, its not tough to drink, but i'd choose others over this.

2.65/5  rDev +11.3%

12 oz bottle with a born on date of 20APR10, didnt even know this beer existed until a buddy brought one over for me to try. Pours a very clear dark gold color, calling it amber is a bit of a stretch. White foam is large-bubbled and gives up quickly without a fight, as expected. No lacing.

Nose is lightly toasted malt and a dose of CO2 gas. Slight honeyed, pecan-esque nuttiness with absolutely nothing in the way of hops. Not horrible for such a light beer, but something about the aroma reminds me of a urinal mint.

Adjunct flavors begin to rear their ugly head in the flavor and are mildly offset by a watery caramel presence. Carbonation level is high and the mouthfeel is expectedly thin. Really not much flavor at all, but it is probably better than three-quarters of light lagers. Grainy cardboard comes out as it warms up and goes progressively downhill from there.

2.13/5  rDev -10.5%

My wife and I are dieting, so I needed to find something lower in calories and carbs than the ales I usually consume nightly. On paper Mich Ultra Amber seemed to be the best fit in that it's darker than most light beers, is low in carbs, is low cal, and is also 5% ABV.

I had it straight from the bottle and was pretty surprised by the taste. It doesn't have any of the sour/bitter taste most macro lights have. Reminds me quite a bit of Bass, but a little bit lighter...and with 41 fewer calories and 10 fewer carbs per bottle. Definitely my new session beer...at least until I reach my target weight.

Update 5/23/10 - They've reformulated this to lower the calories further. It's been reduced from 114 calories to 95 and the alcohol was cut from 5% to 3.2%. Unfortunately this came at the expense of taste. It's pretty watery tasting now. Not much different than regular Mich Ultra. While I was pleasantly surprised with the original formula, this new one is really bad.

3.7/5  rDev +55.5%

I can't stand Michelob Ultra, but I really do enjoy the amber version. I'm so tired of most light beers, so this is a nice change of pace. It's a very light beer with decent taste. I buy this pretty often, and I suggest it to my friends. I don't want to try the other flavored Ultras though, they scare me.

2.24/5  rDev -5.9%

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle into a pint glass

Pours a crystal clear copper color with orangeish highlights. Surprisingly the head seems to be relatively dense, slightly off white, and fairly appealing. The head subsides fast, leaving no trace at all.

There is not much to the nose at all. Maybe a hint of malty sweetness, no hops at all.

A bit more malt presence in the taste than in the aroma, but not by much. Moderately sweet, with no hops at all. Overall very watery and unimpressive. a bit too much carbination for me as well, seems almost more like a soda than a beer.

Unfortunately, not even as good as your typical BMC swill.

1.4/5  rDev -41.2%

Poured into a 12oz glass and was in no danger of spilling a drop. Theres virtually no head, and anything that did form, was gone after I blinked. I wouldn't call the color amber...if anything is was a slightly darker shade of normal FYB. Smell was tinny and metallic with some sort of malt-like smell. This tasted awful, like stagnant carbonated water. Has the feel too of water...I'd rather drink water. You can chug this, which is the only reason it didn't get a 1....but why would you want to?!?!?! Maybe my girlfriends dad will drink the rest of the sixer....

2.72/5  rDev +14.3%

My brother left these in the fridge so why not check this one off my reviewed list.

A: Very pale amber with a minimal bright white head. A little too light amber for an amber.

S: Just a hint of malt vs. the standard yellow lager.

T: Typical lite yellow beer. I think that makes this beer kind of a fraud. I was expecting some flavor to match the color but nooo...

M: Fizzy and watery

D: Just another lawn mowing beer.

pours clear amber gold with a 2+ finger head that fades fast and left no lacing

smells like a sweet toasty macro

taste is sweet yet has some roasted notes - leaves a bad macro aftertaste

mouthfeel is thin but not overly carbonated like most light macros

drinkability is ok - if you are watching your carbs this might be the beer for you

2.88/5  rDev +21%

From bottle to shaker Aug 13, 2009. Pours a light clear amber with minimal head, diminishing. Well, let's just say it is what it is: a very light beer with a bit more pizzaz and flavor than regular ultra. A clear choice over its bland sister if these are the only two you have to choose from. Other than that - well I just would not purchase.

3.03/5  rDev +27.3%

a- bottle poured into a pint, super clear amber color, one finger bubbly head that didn't last long, minimal lacing.

s- not much of a smell at all, little malt, little skunky lager smell.

t- more presence than i thought for it being an ultra, nice amount of malt, little sweetness, no hops that i could really pick up, overall really mild.

m- little thin, bubbly.

d- pretty drinkable, it's tastier than i thought, but by no means 'tasty' by my normal standards, i would drink again as a light lager, it's much better than the light adjuncts.

2.28/5  rDev -4.2%

This beer was served cold in a pint glass.

Appearance: the beer pours a clear bubbling amber coloration. The head is white and quickly evaporates.

Smell: Honestly not a lot going on with the aroma. The aroma of the beer is clean grain a ghost wiff of toasted malt.

Taste: The beers taste is very clean. No trace of any flavor except grain.

Mouthfeel/Drinkability: The body of the beer is carbonated wateryness. The beers drinkability rates a 3 based on the ease of drinking the beer. Honestly it would bore me too much to have more than one of these in a week.

3.03/5  rDev +27.3%

Saw this and was intrigued, I've had watery brew before (ultra), but amber watery brew may be different. Plus the temps are climbing and a good refresher is always needed. First off looking at the carbs it actually has about 50% more than Ultra, hmmm interesting. Smells like an amber brew, not outstandingly but it's there. Pours to an light amber color with a nice head. Taste is thin but does have hints of an amber brew with a slight maltiness and a mild twang of hops. Carbonation isn't too high but due to the lack of backbone does override the flavor. This is definitely not a connoisseur's beer. But I doubt any connoisseur is going to buy a self proclaimed low carb brew. It is what it is. I rate it what it proclaims to be, not even next to one of my red ale homebrews. For wicked hot weather working outside, this would be tough to top. Although at 5% AC I wouldn't be wielding a chainsaw.

1.88/5  rDev -21%

This beer poured a little lighter than most amber ales. It had a very little head that quickly disappeared. Left very little lacing. The smell was of a strange aroma with a slight metallic aroma. Now I have to give this brew an initial taste. Initially I got a corn taste with a slight bit of malt that followed with a very very very slight bitter taste midway. After you swallow the brew, you get a dry finish. Literally there is no taste once you swallow. The mouthfull is very carbonated with no actual taste until you start to swallow. The slight bitterness and malt seams kind of fake to me, like if they forced the very very very brief moment of bitterness to be there.

I am not going to say this bitterness is from the hops, I just don't feel it is right to say that, but I could be wrong. This is just my opinion.

1.96/5  rDev -17.6%

Pours a light amber/blond color with a one-finger head that fades down to nearly nothing.

Aroma is sweet with a hint of corn/bread and not much else in the nose.

Taste is sweet and a bit harsh/metallic with a strong hint of corn (or is it rice?) in the middle. Barely anything to taste here.

Mouthfeel is full of lingering corn and is quite watery. Pretty close to water actually and goes down somewhat ok.

Why drink this when you can go for a regular amber ale? If you like your beer as close to water as possible, this may be for you. I can't be too sure.

2.31/5  rDev -2.9%

L: Pours a transparent light amber color with a short and thin white colored head.
S: Smells of faint malt and faint hops.
T: Tastes of mostly water. Faint malts, perhaps some adjuncts, and faint hops at the end.
M: Watery, nice amount of carbonation, mostly like seltzer water.
D: Very drinkable since there was very little taste and it was very light feeling.

2.51/5  rDev +5.5%

I've had a lot worse lite beers, and this really isn't that bad. Not great mind you, not particularly good either, but not bad, drinkable, and okay. The beer certainly looks good with an amber color, loads of efforvescence and carbonation. The carbonation is prodigious. There is a fairly creamy head that laces and retains well. I'm surprised by that. The nose on the beer is better than most adjunct lagers. There is a dextrin sweetness, some sweet maltiness that is hard to pin down with specificity, a slight earthy and musty aroma too. The beer is creamy, ultra light, watery, sweet, with no real flavor. I can see why people drink this. You could down lots of these because there is just not much body, taste, character, or hop presence in the beer. It is a carbonated, malty beverage that is largely inoffensive. That's about all you can say. The "amber" in the name is in reference to the color of the beer and nothing more.

1.5/5  rDev -37%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

Dad handed me a bottle, so what are you gonna do. The beer is a clear golden color with a compact white head that gives up the ghost quickly. Minimal lacing. Faint grainy malt aroma. Light seltzer water body with light grain and malt flavors. The finish is absolutely flavorless unless you call bubbles a flavor. Truly a beer for people who do not like beer.

1.98/5  rDev -16.8%

So I was in the store looking for a 6-pack for the games this weekend and I saw this on sale. Normally $5 but with the sale it was only $4, so what the hell let's give it a shot. Plus it's a light beer and the wife is getting on me about my beer belly, so this might be a nice compromise.

After drinking it I realized why it's discontinued, but mostly I was confused why was it even bottled and sold to the public. Not a good beer at all. Very light tasting, which is not what you expect or want in an amber at all. A weird aftertaste, no good feel, just a poor beer all around.

Michelob Ultra Amber from Anheuser-Busch