Michelob Ultra Amber - Anheuser-Busch

Anheuser-Busch visit their website
Missouri, United States

Light Lager |  4.00% ABV

Beer added by: murphysbleachers on 01-26-2006

Brewed using the finest two-row and dark-roasted specialty malts for color, and a blend of imported and premium United States-grown noble aroma hops for balance and flavor.
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Michelob Ultra Amber Alström Bros
2.67/5  rDev +12.2%

light amber in appearance, with a strange orange tinge, makes it look like liquid rust for some reason. Small bubbly white head. Quite a fruity/sweet malty aroma, not that bad considering the source. In taste it is sweet, highly carbonated, slight beer taste, very soda-like in mant aspects reminds me of the cans of "Bass Shandy" i used to get as a kid back in the UK..but that was 0.5% this is 5% really? Light water filled mouthfeel. To be honest this wasnt quite as bad as I expected..if it were hot outside and iwas working this would be ok.

2.66/5  rDev +11.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3

Appearance: Pours a light auburn brown with hints of amber in the color. It has a small bleach white head made up of big fizzy carbonation bubbles. It is a nicer looking beer than most of the "Light Lagers" that I've had.

Smell: The smell is very hard to find. I got more of the olfactory sense of the beer in the aftertaste then in the aroma upfront. For the most part though it is about what you'd expect from a watered down Macro.

Taste: Truth is this beer is not as bad as I expected. I was ready to have a beer that would balance out my Average Rating by pulling it down significantly. I was surprised. This beer is not that bad. Mind you, it is not THAT good either. It is sweet but the sweetness is not the malty sweetness of an Amber Lager IMO it tastes more artificial. I am not sure why this is called amber other than some food coloring it is a macro light. If you like Orange juice and are served Orange drink you'd probably have the same reaction I get from this beer.

Mouthfeel: The mouthfeel is about the same as every other thin light somewhat water light beer. It is crisp but the disturbing aftertaste prevents it from truly being refreshing.

Drinkability: If what you want is another light beer that is a slightly different color then here you go. I believe it is more of a gimmick to call this beer an amber but it has the same drinkability as you'd expect from ANY other A-B light beer.

Hope this is helpful.

2.65/5  rDev +11.3%

12 oz bottle with a born on date of 20APR10, didnt even know this beer existed until a buddy brought one over for me to try. Pours a very clear dark gold color, calling it amber is a bit of a stretch. White foam is large-bubbled and gives up quickly without a fight, as expected. No lacing.

Nose is lightly toasted malt and a dose of CO2 gas. Slight honeyed, pecan-esque nuttiness with absolutely nothing in the way of hops. Not horrible for such a light beer, but something about the aroma reminds me of a urinal mint.

Adjunct flavors begin to rear their ugly head in the flavor and are mildly offset by a watery caramel presence. Carbonation level is high and the mouthfeel is expectedly thin. Really not much flavor at all, but it is probably better than three-quarters of light lagers. Grainy cardboard comes out as it warms up and goes progressively downhill from there.

2.63/5  rDev +10.5%

Poured out a brownish and bubbly amber , not much of a head. Bottle looks kinda kewl , wish the beer inside it was better. Smell is very light grain and adjunct. Taste is similar to regular ultra , not much taste at all. It is a little smoother and has a tiny bit of malt presence that regular ultra doesn't. Didn't taste any hop flavors. Slightly sweet aftertaste that quickly vanishes. This is drinkable( chuggable) but its just not got any flavor. I wouldn't buy it but i would grab it before a bud light or mich ultra reg. at a party.

2.63/5  rDev +10.5%

Presentation: 12 oz bottle with a twist off cap, born on date of April 12, 2006 stamped on the back label, poured into a pint glass.

Appearance: poured a clear amber color (I know, go figure) with a decent sized head of large bubbles that almost immediately faded into nothing but a few left in the middle. No carbonation bubbles rising inside the glass either.

Aroma: faint malts, but barely anything at all.

Taste: Sweet and malty all the way through, but not strong at all. The finish is clean, nothing to it at all.

Mouthfeel: the taste is crisp but with that watery light beer quality to it. The carbonation was decent though.

Overall: The best thing you can say about this beer is that it might get people to try something different. And if that somehow leads them down the road to beer advocacy, then that's a good thing. Other than that, though, there's nothing special about this at all. It's better than your standard macro light lager, but not by a lot.

2.63/5  rDev +10.5%

-Looks good....nice clean amber color

-For a light beer it has a mild grainy/malt flavor..also a hint of Mich Amber Bock like sweetness

-Body is better than some light beers. This doesn't feel watery.

-Too much head on the pour.

-Very mild aroma to this....some mild graininess and that Mich Amber Bock sticky sweetness... but its like

-Not a good finish....almost an artificial like finish if that makes sense..

Middle of the road light beer....Certainly not at the level of the SA light but this "amber" does have more taste than the regular ultra. But, it is still not as flavorful as I was hoping for. Would consider buying again...

2.63/5  rDev +10.5%

Probably the only "low carb"/"low calorie" beer that's worth a darned, it has a pleasant beer taste (which, believe it or not, is apparently tough to manage amongst this crop of beer).

I won't go into a detailed review...it's a low carb beer that actually tastes like a beer. Amazing.

2.63/5  rDev +10.5%

Purchased a six pack the other day out of couriosity. Pours a light amber copper color with a nice head that quickly dissipates. No lacing. Some faint caramel malt aroma. Taste is slightly malty, similar to their Amber Bock just watered down. At least there is some taste as opposed to Mich Ultra. Mouthfeel is a little thin and watery. At 5% ABV, some taste and 114 calories, AB may have a winner on their hands as far a light beers go. I think I will let the wife have the other 5 though.

2.6/5  rDev +9.2%

The look was typical of a Michelob beer which is ok, poor was a light white head that was gone as quickly as it came the color was a bit pale compared to that of other amber beer taste was over powered by carbonation but after wasn't bad. not to much to say about this beer other than it would be a good crisp beer on a hot day with a decent taste. I would buy it again for that reason only.

2.59/5  rDev +8.8%

A. Decent Amber color just as it's aptly named, head is rather thin and dissipates quickly with slight thin lacing.

S. Nonexistent. Really.

T. Taste is borderline nonexistent. Has hints of something but I can't tell what.

M. Also nonexistent. Just plain and unoffensive. Light beer on amber side?

D. Very drinkable. Nothing to brag about but goes down like water. Above average in it's class.

Probably won't buy again, go with Amber Bock instead.

2.59/5  rDev +8.8%

I've had this in a bar a few times. I have some hard core beers that I drink, but I have the need to have something light on occasion. So far I would put this on the top of might light beer light beer list. So it isn't pretty to look at, nothing special about the head, just typical waterly looking bubbles with probably food coloring for the dark color. It almost has no smell, a hint of something unpleasant, but I can't place it. Mouth feel is like water, as bad as regular Ultra resembled water. Now, as I'm being objective here and not hoping great things for a light beer... It actually doesn't taste that bad. Even though it is light it has some characteristics in the taste that make is reasonable to drink. I rated the drinkability high as well because you could drink this all day due to it's lightness. I wish they would carry it at the basketball arena because when you got to drink something this would make a good choice...

...stressing... for a macro brew light beer.

12 oz screw-off cap bottle> 16 oz. SA glass
"born" on 1/25/08 (114 calories)

This is spot-on for color, it's a nice deep amber with sufficiant carbonation that develops a one-finger deep, recycled paper white head with only minimal retention abiltiy. Only a bit of scattered bubbly clumps are left over.

Sweet corn bread with honey malt on the nose with horse grains and wheat, kinda musty and earthy with slight sour yeastie whiff's deep down.

After just having the standard Mich Ultra, I can tell you that this one has a much bigger malty profile, it's thicker and smoother with a wheat-bread soaked in English Toffee effect. some earthy, musty yeast flavors pop out for balance. The finish is that of sour, tangy, lager yeast with a slight medicinal bitterness.

Very light bodied, a bit smoother and substantial feeling than the standard mich Ultra but still mostly crisp and light.

The bigger malt flavor is appreciated...this would be an o.k choice if you find yourself at a Frat party.

Reviewed from notes.

Pours a moderate amber brown with a slight off white head. Leaves behind a tad bit of lacing. Nose brings forth some amber malt and grain husks. Taste is pretty weak. Really not much going on here. Feel is light; too light. Drinks okay and is one of the better $4.99 six packs around, but nothing too special.

2.58/5  rDev +8.4%

Home from college. My fifty-one-year-old father is a health freak, and thusly only keeps Michelob Ultra on hand. Despite the frigid temperatures we've had in Charlotte all week, I decided that on this particular night I would drink on his dime, and grabbed one of these gems from the fridge.

I've had plenty of these before; this, however, is the first time I haven't had one straight from the bottle. I decided that I'd show this Mich Ultra Amber the luxurious side of the beer world that I doubt many of his brethren hardly ever have the pleasure of experiencing, and poured him into my finest tulip glass.

The beer jumps out of the bottle, much like a soda. It had a weird little white head with almost no staying power that fizzed and then disappeared, almost as if it had never existed at all. It reminds me a lot of how it looked just now when I poured a Coke into a glass. However, the beer's actual appearance was much more pleasing than the head had been: It exuded a nice, dark-golden hue, similar to that of apple cider (but not nearly as murky). If I didn't know any better, I'd almost think I were sitting down to enjoy a pretty decent brown ale...

...But after a whiff, this calorie-counter's alcoholic beverage of choice isn't fooling anyone. I smell...well, nearly nothing. I'm not too good with the technical jargon, but in this case, I don't even need it. Corn. Faint malt. Alcohol. A little bit of metal (and this thing's in a bottle...hmmm...).

After...minimal...anticipation, I finally got a chance to whet my palate with this baby. I'll make one thing clear, although it should have been quite clear to you even before reading this: This beer is not going to blow anyone away. But being a light lager, it isn't terrible. I must admit: It sort of tastes like beer. It's ice-cold, and pretty damn refreshing. Granted, it's fifteen degrees outside, so that's pretty irrelevant now. But on a hot summer's day, this is a good alternative to water. That's really what it is. Beer-flavored sparkling water. I need to put a call in to LaCrois...

This beer's highly carbonated, and it really does feel good in my mouth. It's the perfect swigging beer. I'm actually regretting throwing this thing in the tulip: It's warming too fast. Next one--yes, there shall be a "next one"--is definitely staying in the bottle.

A suggestion: Drink this beer while munching on some peanuts (allergens, or lack thereof, provided). It compliments them so well. Not really sure why...but just try it. I'm not a health freak and I like my beers heavy and calorie-laden. But on the off-chance that I go work out and need to re-hydrate afterward, I'll definitely reach for a Mich Ultra Amber...or five.

2.56/5  rDev +7.6%

A- Dark golden color with white foamy head that fades fast and leaves minimal soapy lace.

S- Very faint. Corn, rice, faint malt, and metallic notes.

T- Faint sweet malt, watery, metallic notes, corn and rice.

M- Highly carbonated, watery, light and crips. Refreshing.

D- Better than a lot of macro light beers, refreshing summertime beer, but nothing to write home about.

2.55/5  rDev +7.1%

poured from a 12 oz bottle into a glass

A- well it's supposed to be amber, and it was. but the amberness was not deep at all. it looked like they just squirted some amber coloring in there. in fact, at the bottom of the glass there was a layer of clearness. eeh. the head looked like soda fizz, and lasted about as long as it does with diet coke.

S- didnt smell like anything. literally had no smell. i put my nose practically in this beer and smelled nothing.

T- not as miserable as i was thinking it would be, but that's not saying much. tasted like wheat, diet coke(minus the sweetness), and aa hint of hops.

M- superthin and not very smooth.

D- oh yeah, i'm drinking this again...not.

2.53/5  rDev +6.3%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Light golden amber in color, clean and clear, moderate cap of bone white froth - so far so good. Scent pale and non-existent, only positive is no off-notes. Same with taste, pale and faint, hint of malt that is neither sweet or toasted, no off notes. Light bodied, bubbly. Nothing much going on here, but id take it over any other BMC Light product as it didnt have much in the way of off-notes.

2.52/5  rDev +5.9%

Review #150
12 oz bottle into a pint glass

A: Completely clear, barely amber in color. Pours a thick white head that falls quickly.

S: Sweet malts. A little fruitiness.

T: Light. A little bland with a pretty basic malt profile. If I stretched I could maybe sense a little banana and other fruit. A little pretzel in the malt. Not at all impressive, but not at all offensive.

M: Highly carbonated, only a little thicker than the average light American lager (aka "water").

D: Better than most of the light crap out there but in no way a worthy beer.

2.51/5  rDev +5.5%

I've had a lot worse lite beers, and this really isn't that bad. Not great mind you, not particularly good either, but not bad, drinkable, and okay. The beer certainly looks good with an amber color, loads of efforvescence and carbonation. The carbonation is prodigious. There is a fairly creamy head that laces and retains well. I'm surprised by that. The nose on the beer is better than most adjunct lagers. There is a dextrin sweetness, some sweet maltiness that is hard to pin down with specificity, a slight earthy and musty aroma too. The beer is creamy, ultra light, watery, sweet, with no real flavor. I can see why people drink this. You could down lots of these because there is just not much body, taste, character, or hop presence in the beer. It is a carbonated, malty beverage that is largely inoffensive. That's about all you can say. The "amber" in the name is in reference to the color of the beer and nothing more.

2.51/5  rDev +5.5%
look: 2 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

New sample from A-B dropped off to me today.
12oz bottle poured into a clear plastic cup...
Appearance: Head fades fast, looks kind of like a dark cream soda
Smell: Smelled a little bit of caramel malt and a little bit of that sour apple smell I always get off Bud stuff. Smelled better than most light lagers.
Taste: Here is this beer's downfall. It tastes just like Michelob Ultra. Like water with an unpleasant aftertaste.
Mouthfeel: A little fizzy and just like every other light beer.
Drinkability: I could drink a lot of these, say on a boat or in the sun playing softball as a thirst quencher if that's what was served but I wouldn't choose it over almost any other options.

2.5/5  rDev +5%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Paid nothing, went home for Easter, this is what my dad drinks...

The beer pours a clear dark amber colored base, head retention only lasts for seconds and there is no lacing... reminded me of soda. The aroma is nothing really, nothing I can distinctly identify.

The taste isn't that bad, decent aftertaste and the light malt or whatever it is, is equivalent to most macros out there. The mouthfeel is pretty good, light on the pallete but a little carbonation affect the feel just a bit. Pretty drinkable for an ultra, I would probably have another since I have no other option, but drinking two isn't the end of the world.

Final Thought: Better than most light beers, so it is worth a shot to all you "yuppies" that think drinking this non-beer matters in the calorie count.

2.49/5  rDev +4.6%

I don't usually drink light lagers but the confusing "dark light" thing intrigued me.

Appearance was the best attribute- bronze with fine lacing.

No aroma discernible whatsoever.
The taste disappears with an odd metallic clang.

Finish and mouthfeel are virtually nonexistent.
Is this a light beer designed to make it look like you are drinking a decent beer? I guess that makes it "drinkable" to the AB crowd.

2.49/5  rDev +4.6%

Poured from the bottle into a pint glass, beer is a clear, amber-copper color with small amounts of carbonation rising from the bottom of the glass to the thin head on top. Smell is primarily quite grainy, corn, amber malts only slightly. There is almost no taste to this beer, a slight grainy malt taste and a minute amount of hops. Beer is very light in body as expected and has an average amount of carbonation. This is a drinkable beer, but just because you can do something doesn't necessarily mean you should.

2.48/5  rDev +4.2%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.5

There's nothing offensive about this, it's a slightly flavored beer with low alcohol and a very thin feel. I detect a touch of barley malt, caramel, and roasted nut swimming in a pool of water. If I want to drink light and get a buzz and a bit of flavor this would be a go to.

2.48/5  rDev +4.2%

A: Decent amber color, though it looked a little sickly when held to the light.

S: The usual grainy light macro smell.

T: A bit better than some light beers, though it left my tongue dry afterwards.

M: Thin and fizzy.

D: This beer isn't horrible compared to other light beers. This is one I bought just to try. I doubt I'll buy it again.

Michelob Ultra Amber from Anheuser-Busch