Bud Dry - Anheuser-Busch

to view more.
Ratings: 111 | Reviews: 58
Reviews by the Alström Bros:
2.9/5  rDev +24.5%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

12 oz can with a born on date on the bottom of the can.

Appearance: Very thin head after some quick rising foam, filtered clarity is ordinary for this type of beer.

Smell: Coarse huskiness of grain, dusty flour and adjuncts.

Taste & Mouthfeel: Driest beer I have ever had, I was not surprised either though its dryness is right up there with some Japanese beers. Crispness is right on target with a very light body. Minimal malt flavour and a dusting hop bitterness to balance. Clean neutral flavour which must be rice. Immaculate after taste.

Notes: Not bad for what it is, they brewed exactly what they were going for … a drier version of Bud. I’d pick this over Bud, hopefully I’ll never be put in that position.

2.73/5  rDev +17.2%

I always remember the "why ask why, try bud dry" commercials from my youth and now I finally found some of the beer, and why oh why did I buy it? Pure nostalgia! The beer poured a straw like yellow color with a slight head that faded very fast. Smelt of grain and sweet corn with a slight hint of skunk thrown in as well. The flavor and the mouthfeel were actually not bad for what it is, it is very dry in the finish and less malty than I was expecting it to be. Truth be told, it's better than Busch and if I was in a pinch and needed some cheap libations this would be a viable choice...just don't go all over town trying to track it down, it's not that good!

2.02/5  rDev -13.3%

Yellow color, white head, little lacing. Smell is not terrible, its got a little bit of grain and corn coming through. Very bland taste, but that could be expected, it's pretty much Budweiser, dumbed down, as if we needed that, but it does have a small amount of flavor and no hops present. This is an odd way to try and balance a beer, more water to a watery flavor instead of more flavor balanced by hops, but whatever. Mouthfeel is highly carbonated with little body. I finished the whole can.

1.85/5  rDev -20.6%

Yellow pour, soft white head. Corny aroma, mildly sweet. Can't discern what separates dry from regular Bud at this point, all looks and smells the same.

Further complicating the nomenclature, the beer tastes watery, the mildest of hop connotations, the mildest of malt (seems mostly corn) presence. I liken this to the Simpsons episode where all the Duff varieties come from the same vat of beer. I doubt anyone, even a professional judge could pick Bud Dry out from Bud Light in a blind tasting.

Not horribly offensive, but I can't figure out why these cost what they do, there is no ingredients and no advertising budget for this stuff. . . so why does it cost almost as much as SNPA? Bud Light with a different label design is the conclusion.

2.22/5  rDev -4.7%

Appearance: Fizzy yellow beer with a thin short lived white head leaves specks of lacing. Aroma: Grainy sweetness corn and rice adjuncts kicking with a husky malt tone. Taste: Sweet blend of two row malt and corn very evident sweetness is bland and finishes extremely dry with a touch of hops. Mouthfeel: Thin body over carbonated completely uninteresting. Drinkability: I wouldn't recommend this beer to my friends or foes in that matter, but a better and cheaper alternative to Bud only offered in select markets.

I love the taste of this beer. I can still get here in michigan. At a store down in Warren.

4.4/5  rDev +88.8%

As a recent college graduate, I am unable to afford the ESBs and pale ales I would love to be drinking. For most of my college career, if faced with a selection of macros, or the desire to drink with near-empty pockets, my first choice was always PBR.

Bud dry costs less than $6.50 for a 12 pack--less than many brands of bottled water--and actually tastes pretty decent. By far the best flavor and quality in its price range.

In my opinion, in taste, mouthfeel and drinkability, bud dry easily out-ranks most other AB products, especially the other "Bud" labeled products.

After a night of relatively heavy partying (i.e. a 12 pack of bud dry each) with my girlfriend recently, we both woke up with only the slightest hangover.

in conclusion: try bud dry. It's not great beer, but at $6.23, beer it is.

1.7/5  rDev -27%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

How can I review a beer so horrible, It's macrogarbage at its worst. I don't even care to think about how bad this is, one taste will tell you, damn what am I thinking and drinking. Stick to WATER as with all AB products, it doesn't matter which beer it is Dry, Ice, Original, or Light. They are all lousy and of poor quality and that born on date doesn't matter if you drank it from the brewery itself.

2.92/5  rDev +25.3%

Thanks again to woodychandler for yet another canned beer for me to try. Poured from a 12 oz. can. Has a light golden color with a 1/2 inch head and lots of carbonation. Smell is of grains and corn, some sweetness. Taste is very mild, some corn and grains, a touch sweet with just a hint of bitterness at the finish. Feels light in the mouth and overall is an average beer from the kings of mediocraty.

One of the first beers I ever tried, way back when. I remember it was on a float trip, and I had a buddy that always bought this or Natty Light, because it was some of the cheapest beer you could get. I tried one and the flavor reminded me of sandy pond water. Absolutely disgusting. Even at dirt cheap prices, it isn't worth drinking beer that tastes just like that, dirt.

Would not seek out, would not buy, and would not drink even if free.

3.68/5  rDev +57.9%

For the open-minded this can be a delightful beer to drink. Unfortunately, it is only available in cans in the New Orleans area. Bud Dry has a clear, sparkling straw appearance and a standard Budweiser head. The aroma is subtly sharp and pleasant. The taste is clean, crisp, and delicate, but does not have the awful mineral water characteristics of light beers. Also, it has a comforting alcohol level, similar to the regular Budweiser. Mouth feel is watery, of course, but not the least bit foul. Bud Dry is most excellent.

RJT

1.32/5  rDev -43.3%

The beer pours from the 12-ounce brown bottle a limpid gold with a modest white frothy head and the left over lace a thin sheet. Nose is sweet malt, fresh and clean, start is lightly sweet and the top skeletal. Finish is caustic in its acidity, hops benign and the aftertaste dry, it has been almost 4 years since I sampled one of these, now I know why.

1.34/5  rDev -42.5%

Pours from a 16oz tallboy can a very clear light yellow color with a large white head that displays surprisingly nice retention for a while till it fades to near nothingness.

The nose is pretty nappy, as a bunch of light fruitiness and wet grains are present. Even for an AAL, this one smells like a fart.

Taste is not pleasant either...pretty offensive actually. It's not all that "dry" finishing as I get quite a bit of sweetness. There is virtually no hop balancing and the main flavors are carbonation and cardboard topped with a bit of corn syrup. Pretty sure my sink will be drinking about half this can. I see no reason why anyone should drink this beer, there are plenty of better adjunct lager options out there.

3.07/5  rDev +31.8%

Pale yellow with a skimpy head of white fizz that quickly burns off. Untoasted grain is very faint in the aroma , but that is all there is here. Squeaky clean tasting, barley, adjuncts (rice I'm guessing?) and faint hop bitterness make up the flavor profile. Light bodied and effervescent, typical for the style. This is an easy to drink beer and I think if the point is to make an easy drinking dry pale lager to rival Japanese imports it is a success.

1.52/5  rDev -34.8%

"Why ask why? Drink Bud Dry" And that is the most memorable thing about this one. It's Budweiser, only drier. Now thats a novel idea. Too bad they forgot about taste.

2.95/5  rDev +26.6%

Pale straw golden color with a decent head with lots of fat bubbles constantly rising to the surface to renew it, decent lace. Aroma is very faint, a little grain and some very faint hops. Taste begins with a little grain, hops, and faint alcohol, overlaid by strong carbonation, finishes a bit dry with a little hop bitterness. Not a very substantial beer, but easy to drink and inoffensive. A pleasant hot weather beer that is far better than Budweiser.

2.4/5  rDev +3%

Pours an ultra clear pale yellow brew. Looks like Budweiser.

Smell is mildly sweet mild grain and that is about all.

Taste is less sweet than Budweiser, mild grains and a clean finish. No hops tasted.

Mouthfeel is Budweiser.

Drinkable in a bland sort of way.

2.07/5  rDev -11.2%

A- Pale clear yellow, fizzy, thin white head, no retention, minimal lace.

S- Corn, bready notes, rice, earthy tones, grassy hints

T- Watery, grains, bready, faint hints of citrus, sweet malts, plain and watery

M- Thin and slight creaminess, crisp and clean, watery

D- Easy to drink, just utterly boring.

1.82/5  rDev -21.9%

Poured from a 12oz can into a US tumbler pint glass.

A: The beer is a very pale yellow color, with a thin white head that fades very quickly and leaves very little lace on the glass.

S: The aroma is very faint but contains adjuncts, light malts, grain and a very faint touch of hops.

T: The taste mainly consists of the typical adjunct sweetness along with bready flavors of grain and a light malt character. The hops presence is very mild even for the style. The after-taste is slightly sweet and slightly bready.

M: Crisp and a little smooth, light body, medium-to-high carbonation, finish is clean.

D: Not very flavorful, goes down easily and is not too filling since there isn't much to this beer, mild kick, not really sure what difference the "DryBrew" process makes since it seems like just another fizzy yellow beer from A-B.

2.95/5  rDev +26.6%

Pours straw yellow with a thin white head that descends to a vanishing patch. Glass is left clean. Typical macro look, at best.

The smell is clean...very, very clean. Can't smell "bad" if it doesn't smell. There may be a hint of something "beerish", but it's certainly mild.

Same with the taste. Clean. Maybe a hint of grain? Not sweet, though. Dry, as advertised. Clean, crisp...finish (of course, it didn't much start, but...) Can't taste "off" or "bad" if it doesn't "taste".

Well, they have the "dry" part down. Smooth, dry and clean as a whistle. I easily drank a few of these, as it was a hot summer day. Inoffensive, and refreshingly dry. I prefer my beers to have taste, though, so I'm not planning on going back to this one. If you're into flavorless, easy-drinking, beers, go for it...(compared to some other macros, it could be worse - could be better, too though.)

3.3/5  rDev +41.6%

This is really not a bad beer, for what it is. Same price as Busch, and probably better. Only thing is, I'm really not getting the "dry".

Way better than Bud Light and cheaper. Bout the same price as Select, maybe as good.

Will drink again when looking for budget beer.

2.7/5  rDev +15.9%

TheManiacalOne was kind enough to send me some new CANs to keep The CANQuest glugging along on its way to # 500 and this being New Beer Sunday, I felt like I had to indulge in some CANned beer.

From the CAN: "Dry Brewed and Cold Filtered. Brewed by our unique DryBrew(TM) process from the choicest hops, select grains and best barley malt." You CAN trademark anything, I suppose. It also got me to wondering about Michelob Dry, a staple in my Alameda, CA fridge in the late 1980's. I have not seen it for a long time, nor does it exist on BA, so it may be long defunct.

More fizzy yellow beer from the fine folks at A-B! I got just better than a finger of bone-white head with lousy retention from the Glug. Color was a lemon-yellow with NE-quality clarity from the masters of filtration. Nose was lager sweet with all kinds of adjuncts, including corn as the main one. How CAN this be dry if it is that sweet in the nose?!? Truth in advertising, anyone? Mouthfeel was medium and it tasted like just so many other AALs on The CANQuest (TM) to date. Dry? Maybe semi-dry, but not white wine dry. The taste was rather bland, slightly lager sweet but with off-flavors of corn, especially. It was not in-your-face offensive, but it did not inspire me to wish for more. The finish was semi-dry and the whole thing was kind of ho-hum. Next!

2.71/5  rDev +16.3%

Bready, grainy, a bit of rice and a bit of corn; I'm not quite sure where the "Dry" comes from either (quoting previous reviews), although I definitely don't think it's better than Busch or Busch Light.

Tastes like Bud Light but it has more drinkability, and it's a bit cheaper at most spots I've found. Also better than Bud Ice, but not as cheap as it. Somewhere in the middle of those two types is where Bud Dry lies.

Mouthfeel is very airy and unpresent, although it has a little bit of crispness to it which gives it a couple positive points.

Overall, it's another Budweiser that tastes how you would expect. Get Pabst or Busch instead if you're on a budget.

2.98/5  rDev +27.9%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

Overall, there's not much to say about this that hasn't been said about regular Budweiser. To me, they are pretty close to being the same thing. And what is this dry part?

The main selling point for me is the price. It is cheap. Oh is it cheap. A 6-pack of 16 ounce cans is over 2 dollars cheaper than a 6-pack of Budweiser bottles. Not great for enjoying the taste, but great for getting a buzz with friends.

Meh.

Update-

This beer is actually starting to grow on me, and when grabbing beer for drinking with other people, this is the one we go straight to. $4.99 for a 12-pack is a steal, and one that actually tastes pretty good, too.

I first tried this beer at a tour of their brewery in St Louis. I liked it. I remember my family drinking Rheingold in the New England areas in the early '70s.

I guess this beer will always be a guilty pleasure. It truly shows that there is always something out there for everyone.

to view more.