Bud Dry - Anheuser-Busch

Anheuser-Busch visit their website
Missouri, United States

American Adjunct Lager |  5.00% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 02-19-2002

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Bud Dry Alström Bros
2.71/5  rDev +15.8%

Bready, grainy, a bit of rice and a bit of corn; I'm not quite sure where the "Dry" comes from either (quoting previous reviews), although I definitely don't think it's better than Busch or Busch Light.

Tastes like Bud Light but it has more drinkability, and it's a bit cheaper at most spots I've found. Also better than Bud Ice, but not as cheap as it. Somewhere in the middle of those two types is where Bud Dry lies.

Mouthfeel is very airy and unpresent, although it has a little bit of crispness to it which gives it a couple positive points.

Overall, it's another Budweiser that tastes how you would expect. Get Pabst or Busch instead if you're on a budget.

3.3/5  rDev +41%

This is really not a bad beer, for what it is. Same price as Busch, and probably better. Only thing is, I'm really not getting the "dry".

Way better than Bud Light and cheaper. Bout the same price as Select, maybe as good.

Will drink again when looking for budget beer.

3.68/5  rDev +57.3%

For the open-minded this can be a delightful beer to drink. Unfortunately, it is only available in cans in the New Orleans area. Bud Dry has a clear, sparkling straw appearance and a standard Budweiser head. The aroma is subtly sharp and pleasant. The taste is clean, crisp, and delicate, but does not have the awful mineral water characteristics of light beers. Also, it has a comforting alcohol level, similar to the regular Budweiser. Mouth feel is watery, of course, but not the least bit foul. Bud Dry is most excellent.

3.54/5  rDev +51.3%

Poured the Bud Dry from a can into a clean goblet. The beer is an average yellow/golden color with a short white head that dissipates quicky but will pop up again if the glass is moved, there is alot of carbination. Aroma is nice with slight fruit notes. The taste, mouthfeel, and drinkability is what you would expect from one of Anheuser-Busch's standard brews, I did get a little more hops from this brew than say a Bud Light.
Another safe pleasant offering from our biggest brewer.

3.07/5  rDev +31.2%

Pale yellow with a skimpy head of white fizz that quickly burns off. Untoasted grain is very faint in the aroma , but that is all there is here. Squeaky clean tasting, barley, adjuncts (rice I'm guessing?) and faint hop bitterness make up the flavor profile. Light bodied and effervescent, typical for the style. This is an easy to drink beer and I think if the point is to make an easy drinking dry pale lager to rival Japanese imports it is a success.

1.82/5  rDev -22.2%

Poured from a 12oz can into a US tumbler pint glass.

A: The beer is a very pale yellow color, with a thin white head that fades very quickly and leaves very little lace on the glass.

S: The aroma is very faint but contains adjuncts, light malts, grain and a very faint touch of hops.

T: The taste mainly consists of the typical adjunct sweetness along with bready flavors of grain and a light malt character. The hops presence is very mild even for the style. The after-taste is slightly sweet and slightly bready.

M: Crisp and a little smooth, light body, medium-to-high carbonation, finish is clean.

D: Not very flavorful, goes down easily and is not too filling since there isn't much to this beer, mild kick, not really sure what difference the "DryBrew" process makes since it seems like just another fizzy yellow beer from A-B.

2.98/5  rDev +27.4%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

Overall, there's not much to say about this that hasn't been said about regular Budweiser. To me, they are pretty close to being the same thing. And what is this dry part?

The main selling point for me is the price. It is cheap. Oh is it cheap. A 6-pack of 16 ounce cans is over 2 dollars cheaper than a 6-pack of Budweiser bottles. Not great for enjoying the taste, but great for getting a buzz with friends.

This beer is actually starting to grow on me, and when grabbing beer for drinking with other people, this is the one we go straight to. $4.99 for a 12-pack is a steal, and one that actually tastes pretty good, too.

1.34/5  rDev -42.7%

Pours from a 16oz tallboy can a very clear light yellow color with a large white head that displays surprisingly nice retention for a while till it fades to near nothingness.

The nose is pretty nappy, as a bunch of light fruitiness and wet grains are present. Even for an AAL, this one smells like a fart.

Taste is not pleasant either...pretty offensive actually. It's not all that "dry" finishing as I get quite a bit of sweetness. There is virtually no hop balancing and the main flavors are carbonation and cardboard topped with a bit of corn syrup. Pretty sure my sink will be drinking about half this can. I see no reason why anyone should drink this beer, there are plenty of better adjunct lager options out there.

1.08/5  rDev -53.8%

I go to a party, and guess what they have in the cooler? Bud Dry and Bud Light. Jesus f*** Christ.

This was awful. Why even bother inputting a review? To warn, inform, and record, I guess,

Pours a watery looking yellow, white, sudsy foam. Unappealing to the eye. Smells like skunky water, tastes like skunky seltzer water, what the hell is the "dry" supposed to be? Tastes pretty damn similar to Bud Light.

I ended up drinking wine instead. And I don't care for wine.

Possibly one of my least favorites of the entire Bud family. Yellow, near clear color with a very poor white bubbly head. Stale nose of grass and rice. No hops in the nose either. Thin body should go down like water, but doesn't. If you must go with AB, I suggest regular old bud.

2.27/5  rDev -3%

Poured into a glass out of a tallboy a light, yellowish gold with an inch thick white head of foam that resembles soap.

The nose revealed a strong aroma of corn and DMS. Much stronger aroma than Bud Light.

Surprisingly it has flavor to it. Slight maltiness covered with corn and adjuncts. I think that I can even taste hops. Bitter aftertaste, but its not terrible.

Mouthfeel is identical to Alka Seltzer.

Towards the bottom of the glass it starts tasting bland. This reminds me of Busch, not quite as good as PBR or Stroh's, which are smoother. Probably won't pick this one up again despite it being ridiculously cheap compared to other AB products.

3.6/5  rDev +53.8%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Quart bottle, poured into a liter mug, Born on Date of 8/25/08,

A: Pours pale yellow with an average white head with no lacing, average head retention, not bad for a macro lager.

S: Light, get some mild malt and rice, carbonic acid.

T: Taste is quite good, especially in this style. Gives a mild bread malt profile, light grassy hops, with a mineral sulfur dryness I really liked.

M: Dry as the name says, light-bodied, refershing and easy to drink, watery.

D: This is surprisingly good, probably my favourite AB product so far. Quart for $1.79, no doubt I'd go for this again if I'm on a budget.

1.5/5  rDev -35.9%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

Pretty much on par with their other selections. So it looks like all other Bud beers, pretty much tastes like them, grainy, watery, corn and not good. Very pale looking and when poured generates a modest white head that fizzles away quickly. Perhaps a touch dry, I guess. I don't know, it's supposed to, right?

2.73/5  rDev +16.7%

I always remember the "why ask why, try bud dry" commercials from my youth and now I finally found some of the beer, and why oh why did I buy it? Pure nostalgia! The beer poured a straw like yellow color with a slight head that faded very fast. Smelt of grain and sweet corn with a slight hint of skunk thrown in as well. The flavor and the mouthfeel were actually not bad for what it is, it is very dry in the finish and less malty than I was expecting it to be. Truth be told, it's better than Busch and if I was in a pinch and needed some cheap libations this would be a viable choice...just don't go all over town trying to track it down, it's not that good!

4.4/5  rDev +88%

As a recent college graduate, I am unable to afford the ESBs and pale ales I would love to be drinking. For most of my college career, if faced with a selection of macros, or the desire to drink with near-empty pockets, my first choice was always PBR.

Bud dry costs less than $6.50 for a 12 pack--less than many brands of bottled water--and actually tastes pretty decent. By far the best flavor and quality in its price range.

In my opinion, in taste, mouthfeel and drinkability, bud dry easily out-ranks most other AB products, especially the other "Bud" labeled products.

After a night of relatively heavy partying (i.e. a 12 pack of bud dry each) with my girlfriend recently, we both woke up with only the slightest hangover.

in conclusion: try bud dry. It's not great beer, but at $6.23, beer it is.

2.95/5  rDev +26.1%

Pours straw yellow with a thin white head that descends to a vanishing patch. Glass is left clean. Typical macro look, at best.

The smell is clean...very, very clean. Can't smell "bad" if it doesn't smell. There may be a hint of something "beerish", but it's certainly mild.

Same with the taste. Clean. Maybe a hint of grain? Not sweet, though. Dry, as advertised. Clean, crisp...finish (of course, it didn't much start, but...) Can't taste "off" or "bad" if it doesn't "taste".

Well, they have the "dry" part down. Smooth, dry and clean as a whistle. I easily drank a few of these, as it was a hot summer day. Inoffensive, and refreshingly dry. I prefer my beers to have taste, though, so I'm not planning on going back to this one. If you're into flavorless, easy-drinking, beers, go for it...(compared to some other macros, it could be worse - could be better, too though.)

4.6/5  rDev +96.6%

I drink this beer whenever I can. We know of only one magic location that has this within 200 miles of Raleigh, where I live. It is definitely worth the drive to obtain this refreshing beverage. We usually buy the store out whenever we visit it. This beer is excellent for tailgating, and has mojo'd the Carolina Hurricanes to several wins this year. This beer pours wonderfully(straight down your throat), and has a nice aroma, not unlike the most awesome thing you have ever smelled(whatever that may be, it varies from person to person). Mouthfeel got a 4 because it tastes so great that I can't help but swallow it down, much like when you are eating lobster or filet mignon. I have never seen the color of Bud Dry as I am compelled to transfer it straight from the container to my mouth, but I imagine the color to be much like a rainbow, encompassing the best of each part of the spectrum. If you are looking for a good time, add Bud Dry to your party. Also, if you see it anywhere in the state of NC, please send me a note. Thanks!

1.45/5  rDev -38%

A strange beer to search for, I know, but I've been wanting to try Bud Dry ever since I was 7 years old. Yes, 7. Back when the smell of beer was absolutely repugnant and the thought of being drunk terrified me nearly as much as the thought of being dead. For some reason, those lame Bud Dry commercials really appealed to me. The slogan--"Why Ask Why; Try Bud Dry"--stuck in my head. It just seemed neat, somehow. Not quite cool or appetizing. Just neat.

It was 9 more years until I was of the age that I would want to drink, and by that point Bud Dry had been pulled off the national stage and (to the best of my knowledge) was available only in it native Texas. I've never been to Texas. So, umm, that's that.

But then I saw a thirty pack of this just sitting in a cooler in Dickeyville, WI when I was on a New Glarus run. 12 bucks? Sure, what the hell. Someone will drink it.

Regular old AB pour. Light gold, almost seltzery. No head.

Smells like AB funk grain with the teeniest tiniest hint of hop and a little acrid kiss of exceedingly dry rubbing alcohol (hence the name? Probably not.)

Tastes almost exactly like it smells. Not even as tolerable as Bud Heavy. Like old, stale Bud Ice that's had a little cheap gin added to it.

It went down okay, consider its awful taste. And I didn't get any of the trademark AB stomach cramps. But this is still a subpar beer, even for its price. You can get Old Style, Pabst, Red Dog, and Special Export for cheaper.

1.83/5  rDev -21.8%

I have to admit that this one is much like the bud ice beer that is also offered by Budwieser, I cannot say that this one is a great or even good beer, I would have to say to my students who are over 18 that this is a some what decent beer to get wasted on.

Seemed darker than other 'dry' beers I've tried. Purchased at CVS for 11.99 a 30 pack. I put three in the freezer to have right away. Bad decision. After the other 27 chilled for 3 days I was satisfied. The beer had a tremendously easy, or should I say, acceptable adjunt quality. The sweetness was not too powerful. The hops were medium if not less noticable. I consumed six after a dinner of roasted duck and mint dressing. Was very, very content noticing the alcohol content creeping up after the 4th one. I did notice a faint hint of barley adjunct and some acceptable, but vague, residue of aftertaste.

4.26/5  rDev +82.1%
look: 2.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Bud Dry is actually a great choice for the smooth very taste and excellent mouth feel when very cold. There is no bite to this beer and it is an excellent alternative to Texas Budweiser. I prefer the12 ounce longnecks, but I have tied the Quart bottle and 16 ounce can and been very satisfied. The can seems to provide a little more flavor on the front end. I have also tried a variety of "born on dates" and prefer the fresher dates.

1.82/5  rDev -22.2%
look: 1.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 2.5

IWhy do they make so many of this wretched pale lager style. (Bud, Bud light, Michelob, Michelob Light, Michelob Ultra, Michelob Ultra Amber, Bud Dry, Bud Ice, Bud Ice Light)? Pours light yellow with little head. Not much aroma nor taste. This is also over-carbonated and mouthfeel suffers from it. Not a very good beer.

2.18/5  rDev -6.8%

12 ounce bottle from Rite Aid in Redlands

Had this after having Mickey's Ice and the two practically tasted the same to me

Thought they were more like malt liquors

Poured this into a frosted mug and very light brown color with practically no head

No smell and very little taste that did not last long

Could drink several of these if you wanted to, very light

2.25/5  rDev -3.8%

ho hum. not bad. nothing to write home about on this one. serve it ice cold on a hot day and it is fine. cheaper and better light lagers can be found with lil effort.

give it a try but dont have high expectations.

i wish i could find high quality lagers from AB lord knows they have the resources to make them if they wanted to.

suckem up and movem out!

2.87/5  rDev +22.6%

Pours out a light yellow with a small white head that fizzles down.

Smell. slightly sweet and slightly grainy. other than that pretty neutral and what you would expect.

Taste. More of what you would expect. Though it says dry, i find it does still have a touch of sweetness. Other than that, a middle of the road example of the style. Aftertaste is dry.

Mouthfeel. body is thin and carbanation is high.

Overall. The reason why i buy this beer is because it is half the price of bud, and tastes the same. If i am looking for a macro to have, i immediately check for this (or schitz)...same stuff, but youre not paying for the advertisments.

Bud Dry from Anheuser-Busch