Michelob Porter - Anheuser-Busch

Michelob PorterMichelob Porter

Anheuser-Busch visit their website
Missouri, United States

American Porter |  5.90% ABV

(Beer added by: karst on 07-16-2006)
4.6/5  rDev +37.7%

Appearance: Dark, but can see traces of light through it. Pouring into the center of a glass creates a thick head at first... then diminishes quickly. thin lace throughout the drinking process.

Smell: decent porter smell... kind of flat smelling though.

Taste: very drinkable... taste pleasing, not too strong, but not too faint

Mouthfeel: A little thick... not thick compared to others, but thicker than others i've had before. the carbonation sticks around for a. it's thickly carbonated.

Drinkability: Very good, you can drink it without having the bad aftertaste.

4.58/5  rDev +37.1%

I was really surprised. I love porters and stouts, and that is the only reason why I picked up this Michelob. I wanted to give it a try. It was actually really good.
A: Dark with a nice coffe light brown head.
S: The cocoa was floating around in there. Just like any good porter.
T: Smokey. Let it warm up a little. The sweetness came out later. Shared it with my niece. She like it better cooler.

Drank from a DUVEL tulip glass. Would drink again.

4.5/5  rDev +34.7%

From a VIP tour provided to our brewclub at the St. Louis Brewery. This was a big hit! Aroma with chocolate and dark roast malts and a soft group of esters that suggest a yeast akin to London Ale. ( the brewmaster was amused about my asking about the yeast used. A-B were not giving up any secrets to the recipe but were obviously very proud of of this fine porter).

Being a strong advocate of a good mouthfeel, I found this very satisfying and the complexity of the flavors remained glass after glass. A dark roasted malt bitterness combines with hop bitterness for an excellent finish.

Looking forward to the September 2006 release. The generic lable merely stated Michelob Porter - but the contents said it all!

4.5/5  rDev +34.7%

I bought this beer at a local grocery store and I was very pleased with the quality for the price! If you like dark, full flavored beer, you have to try this one! This is a very good beer considering it is from a large brewery like AB. If you like Amber Bock, you will LOVE the Porter!!!

4.47/5  rDev +33.8%

I generally don't like Anheuser-Busch beers, but I like this beer. I can't drink it too much, sort of heavy. A great taste !!! Looks good, a great head of foam. This is a beer I normally will not share with others, it's just for me !!!
I'm surprised that Anheuser-Busch is brewing this.

4.25/5  rDev +27.2%

Pours a black mahogany with a decent half finger of a medium tan head that melts to a solid ring of only slightly sticky lace.

Aroma is richly toasted malt, cocoa, coffee and just a touch of fruity hops. A little smokey-ness comes through as well.

Mouthfeel is creamy and smooth with a nice balance of tingly carbonation making this feel like a very substantial porter. I disagree with the reviewers who said this tasted thin and watery. I can't help but think they are trying to compare it to a stout.

Taste is not disappointing at all.
Moderately toasty dark malt with nice flavors of cocoa, very dark chocolate, coffee, some smoke and some dark wine notes. Overall a very balanced flavor and very decent Porter.

Aftertaste is mostly the toasted to burnt dark malt with a touch of sweetness.

4.25/5  rDev +27.2%

First of all I have to say good job Anheuser Busch on this one. It's good to know you have the ability to make a good beer when you try. Just the fact that most Americans prefer watered down piss beer so thats what you market. I would say this has to be one of the best porters I have ever tried. It pours a dark black color as of any porter should there wasn't to much of a head which was kinda a disappointment. The flavor is exceptional though with a very strong coffee flavor to it that is delicious. If this beer wasn't so filling I could drink it all day. The smell is descent nothing really sticking out special about it but don't get me wrong not bad at all. Overall if your a person who likes a dark porter beer this is a must try.

4.25/5  rDev +27.2%

$6.99 for a 6'er. Brewed with two-row pale, carapils, caramel, and chocolate malts. Hopped with Willamette and Saaz. OG=13.6, 25 IBU.

Pours out to a clear very deep mahogany, forming a tall and solid light tan head with excellent retention and solid lacing. Moderate carbonation. The aroma is of faintly grassy hops on top of sweet chocolate, vanilla, a suggestion of black walnut, faint caramel, and darkly roasted grain husk. The mouthfeel is smooth and clean with a medium-light body and a semi-chalky finish. The taste is a recap of the aroma with a well-balanced combination of the dark malts, earthy mild bitterness, and chalky/dark roast coffee aftertaste.

This is a really solid beer, and in my area, is without a doubt, the best porter you can get for the price. Tasty, and also a great value. I will definitely buy this again.

Acquired as part of the Michelob Craft Collection

"A traditionally styled porter brewed using dark chocolate and roasted coffee malts"

"With a lineage tracing back to 18th century London, our Porter displays the creamy texture and hearty flavor that made this English-style ale famous. This robust, all-malt brew showcases bold coffee and chocolate tones with subtle notes of raspberry and pine."

A - Pours a very deep cola color with a touch of red and a creamy tan 1+ finger head. Shines bright red when held up to direct light. Nice lacing.

S - Rich, dark, roasted malts. Heavy coffee and dark chocolate impression with a bit of oats.

T - Mmmmm. Rich roasted coffee, dark chocolate, and heavy malts. Emphasis on the coffee flavor. Nicely charred grains and toffee. The raspberry is just ever so slightly there and I'm not sure if I would have been able to pick it out myself if I wasn't already looking for it as it said on the label; no pine though but that's okay with me. Enjoyable coffee aftertaste.

M - Slightly creamy with a medium body that leaves the mouth feeling slick.

D - Very pleasant to sip on and doesn't get the least bit boring. Goes down nice and smooth.

Final Thoughts: I was pleasantly surprised with this beer, it is a straight up good brew. It delivers on nearly every aspect as promised. I would have no problem buying this on its own as a 6 pack.

4.22/5  rDev +26.3%

The beer poured into the glass translucent black with a tannish tall and frothy head which rose well and fell slowly to lace the glass.

The aroma was nutty with chocolate through the tall head. As the head retreated the aroma became lightly roasty with an expresso coffee character and a light estery presence. The aroma even had a slight smoke phenolic which was interesting and compelling.

The flavor was nicely smooth with a fairly strong smoke flavor. The smoke was nicely accented by a low presence of roast and a moderate expresso coffee character. The flavor was lightly estery but had a decent level of chocolate and a light caramel flavor.

The finish was dry with lasting light smoke, chocolate and very light coffee into the finality of the aftertaste. The body was medium with a moderate level of carbonation. This is a darn nice porter. The smoke was well done and accentuated the other flavors and the beer was not sweet, nor overly fruity.

12 ounce bottle.

4.22/5  rDev +26.3%

My dad bought the twenty pack from the local Sam's Club. I said I had to try some of these beers for the hell of it. My expectations were low.

The color was a noble deep brown, the head, a tan/beige mix that lasted much longer than expected if you include the foamy film. The arom amde me think of your baser porter, but then some bitterness hit my nostrils to give this macro porter a real hit of genuine coffee. Just like a craft porter. The taste was just as surprising. Bitter chocolate, medium hop bitterness, with some more coffee to boot. Plus the great drinkability. I was totally surprised by this offering from Anheuser. You could have told me this was a micro and I wouldn't know the difference.

4.22/5  rDev +26.3%

A- dark copper with red hues, nice beer to look at though didn't produce anything that can be called head

S- mainly malt sweetness and some toasted malts

T- nice complexity to flavor, toasted malts and rich, yet not very sweet, chocolate, notes of caramel as well, toasted grains in the finish

M- smooth with a degree of richness, coats palate

D- sessionable and very tasty, highly recommended, definitely one of the best porters I've ever had, this brew can find a spot in my fridge...if only i could find it in stores

4.2/5  rDev +25.7%

Expectations were low, but I was surprised by the deliciousness of this beer.

Opaque black with reddish brown edges. Medium rocky tan head. Good retention, reduces to a thin cap that remains throughout. Leaves plenty of patchy lacing.

Black coffee and cocoa in the nose. Hint of hops comes through.

Roasted coffee is definitely the dominant flavor, with flashes of chocolate, a touch of molasses, and faint alcohol. Hops keep things in check. Sweetness increases slightly as it warms, but it maintains its balance. Finishes dry.

Feel is slightly creamy. Medium bodied, not heavy.

Overall an extremely solid & tasty porter, I don't care who brewed it.

4.18/5  rDev +25.1%

12oz dark brown bottle. No freshness date.
Pours a deep red-tinted root beer-like color with a fast-fading light tan head, along with some wispy trails of lacing.
Smells of coffee and dark chocolate are present throughout. Light whiffs of barnyard hay and hints of citrusy hops come and go.
Fairly strong tastes of sweetened coffee with rich chocolate are upfront. Mild citrusy hop bitterness lends a little balance. As it warms, a light taste of prunes peeks through
A flavor of toasted rye bread is noticed. A light rummy alcohol fuminess adds a bit of interest.
Smooth...almost oily (in a good way) Nice easy-to-gulp Porter.
Well done!

4.13/5  rDev +23.7%

I have to admit, I'm quite surprised by this beer. I really wanted to dislike this beer just due to the macro nature of Michelob. The first thing I noticed being different was the switch from twist-off caps to pry-offs. I thought, maybe they are just doing this to play up to their commercial hype of trying to re-engineer their brand for the microbrew audience. What struck me was upon pouring the color is dark brown but mostly black. The head is quite pronounced and active. It rises high and fast and leaves a very generous amount of lacing. The smell is robust, striking for Michelob. The taste was peculiar, did they get this porter right? I would have to say yes. The taste was absolutely coffee and roasted malts. The finish is almost carmelly. Mouthfeel is pleasant and profound, I found myself really liking this beer about halfway through the glass (after I eradicated my prior bias against this brand). Drinkability is quite high, I have to finish by saying Michelob really got this one right. I quite enjoyed this beer I think you might too. Recommended brew for sure.

4.1/5  rDev +22.8%

Michelob Porter pours an almost-black mahogany brown body with just a rim of glowing chestnut at the base of the glass. The frothy tan head slowly dies down, leaving behind some very nice craggy and spotty lace. The retention is quite good, and it continually maintains a full, creamy surface covering.

Cocoa; some dusty mineralish character from the dark malts (it's just subtly roasty); and a light touch of berry-like yeasty fruitiness greet you in the nose.

The body is medium, and the carbonation is soft and gently tingly on the tongue, leaving it silky smooth across the palate.

The flavor is rich without straying too far from its basis of grainy malt, scorched caramel, subtle roast, and soft baker's chocolate with a thread of yeasty fruitiness floating throughout. There are, however, also some notes of darker bittersweet chocolate, a subtle touch of more acrid black malt roastiness, and a drop oor two of red wine to lend it complexity. In the finish it seems to simply fade away from the palate without notice, leaving behind a reminder of the subtle, dull roastiness and yeasty fruitiness that were once there.

Overall it's a solid porter, offering a beautiful balance of roasted & chocolatey flavors, yeasty fruitiness, and underlying bitterness. Very drinkable. Quite enjoyable.

4.1/5  rDev +22.8%

I always buy the seasonal sampler from Michelob. I've never seen the porter and the bavarian wheat has made a return so I was excited to buy it this year.

My tastes have changed and I no longer favour the dark malty beers, but this one does bring back some memories. I've only had a few porters but this one is very drinkable and compares well. The appearance is very good. Looks like a real porter. Very dark with a dark head to match. Alot of lacing on the glass.

Taste is very sweet and roasty. Smell is sweet as well. As I drink it does seem very feeling.

Overall it is well done and enjoyable, as is the entire sampler pack in my opinion.

4.1/5  rDev +22.8%

Purchased in a mixed case. Poured from bottle into a pint glass. Appearance is almost opaque, black color typical of most porters. Actually, the color resembles the new Guinness without the foamy head. The head on this beer is tan and small, but doesnt completely go away: it leaves a nice film on top.

Aroma is chocolate and coffee. Even some hops thrown in there. I think the chocolate outwieghs the coffee, but this is one fine smellin brew.

Taste is coffe and chocolate as well. Even some dark fruits. Quite a bit of fruitiness here and I like that. Again, a little sweet, but not bad. Definitely a bit of bitterness due to hops in there. A clean finish and a nice overall flavor. I cant taste any alcohol so it is quite drinkable. The only way it isnt a five is the sweetness and somewhat cloying effects.

Out of the mixer, this is definitely the best of the bunch. This is a very good porter. All cliches aside, this would definitely pass the BMC/ Micro test. A solid beer!

4.05/5  rDev +21.3%

I'm fairly sure this is the first Porter I've reviewed (gasps!), and honestly one of the first I've tried. From a "Michelob Craft Collection" box at a holiday party.

I have to say this impressed me. I may have to try more porters to see if it is the style, or just this specific beer.

Pours a dark brown color. Tan head sticks to the glass as it should. Aroma of roasted malts. Tastes of sweet and roasted malts (it should, the bottle says "all malt"). Thinner than I expected, but smooth. I can't say it was easy to drink, but after my palate gets used to this style, I think it will be. Still, at this point its very drinkable.

4.03/5  rDev +20.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Presentation:
12 oz. bottle poured into an American pint glass.

Visual:
Deep dark brown with coffee-red hues. Thick and rich when poured. A nice, frothy tan head leaves a bit of lace. Unfortunately, it disappears much quicker than expected (or desired).

Aroma:
Strong notes of espresso hit the nose at first and are followed by sweet hints of honey, chocolate, and caramel. A candy-like aroma remains in the nose. More caramel and toffee notes become present as the glass warms.

Taste:
The mouthfeel is extremely smooth and creamy. A pleasant amount of carbonation cascades across the tongue, opening up the wide range of malts. A sweet berry taste was present that I couldn't identify until I re-read the label: raspberry. (How silly of me.) The subtle hints of berry are complimented well by the abundance of chocolate and coffee. Bitter cocoa notes create a clean bite at the finish.

Overall:
A well-done porter. It is nothing unique or extraordinary, but sometimes when I crave a certain style, I want a beer that is true to the style -- and Michelob delivers.
Its smooth texture and balanced palate creates great drinkability and a wide range of options.
Though I could honestly say that this beer could be paired with almost anything, it would best be paired with any meat that has a buffalo or sweet-based sauce (BBQ, honey-glazed salmon, etc.). It would also be a great after-dinner beer paired with any chocolate-based dessert.

Cheers!

4.03/5  rDev +20.7%

I had never seen this bottle before from Michelob and thought it was amber bock at first. When i read it and saw it again, i realized it was something different. Can michelob win me over again? Lets find out...

Not much head, i like that. Pours easily and smoothly to a nice dark brown hue. Smell is pungent of coffee and malts, maybe even a bit of chocolate.

Going down its weird, a bit watery but not too much so, but bitter until about halfway down then the chocolate taste kicks in a bit. Almost like a watered down rogue chocolate or youngs for an aftertaste.

Something different, for a change, from a mass produce company. Nice for a change, but the tastes are too weak for regular drinking.

I really didnt think it tasted to much like a porter but more like a craft chocolate that falls a bit flat.

Not bad if you cant get anything better, i would buy it again since its also CHEAP.

Bottle to Glass.

A - Black almost. Under a light its closer to a reddish color. Dark still. Awesome. Nice little head and almost no lacing.

S - Is this really a porter smell? IT IS ! Oh wow. Its smokey and full. No nonsense here thats for sure. And a and b that smells good? Wait. Can it taste good?

T - IT does! It has a smokey full thicker taste than I expected. Its a hungry beer ill say. Explosive tastebud thing. I like the smokey the more I drink.

M - Like I said before thicker heavier beer. But its good. Not bad at all.

D - Most people dont like thicker beer but its perfect. Id drink it all day. Im a pub or at home.

Boosh.
And Busch surprizes me once again.
Good job.

Appears with a thick tan head leaves fine evenly dispersed lacing around my glass the body appears a very dark ruby brown almost black only see the other pigments when held near the light. Aroma has a mild dark chocolate note with caramel mild vanilla and a milky cream note with mild coffee bursts and an herbal hop presence. Not bad at all it puts it all together yet it's a bit reserved. Flavors collide with dark chocolate, cocoa powder, caramel malt, and herbal hops with mild bitterness definitely a flavorful AB product and nowhere near off the style just a bit mild. Mouthfeel is light to medium bodied with somewhat silky texture and moderate carbonation doesn't feel to unnatural and ashamed of it's style. Drinkability is refreshing lighter porter not over the top of course but definitely tasty and easy drinking a good combonation especially around the holidays when we all know how filling those times can get.

12 ounce bottle, with a "Born on date" of 9/21/07. The beer pours dark brown/black with an inch tan head. Head retention and lacing are both good. Nice aroma of roasted malt, coffee and chocolate. It tastes like roasted malt, bittersweet chocolate and coffee. There's a good mix between bitter and sweet in this brew. Mouthfeel is medium with moderate carbonation. Drinkability is good, it's easy to drink, smooth and quite sessionable. Good job by AB with this beer, they should make this all the time. It's a lot better than I expected it to be, it was a pleasant surprise.

A - Pours up a dark brown with ruby highlights. The the tan head dissipates slowly, leaving some lace on the glass.

S - Roasted malts dominate the aroma. Very mild.

T - Some sweet malt flavor, but finishes with roasted malt flavor the back of the tongue.

M - A little thin, but silky.

D - A little too roasty for me, but a nice surprise from A-B