Michelob Bavarian Style Wheat - Anheuser-Busch

good

Anheuser-Busch visit their website
Missouri, United States

Hefeweizen |  5.20% ABV

A crisp, delicious wheat beer, Michelob Bavarian Style Wheat is brewed as a traditional, unfiltered hefeweizen. Natural cloudiness and a light, bright yellow color characterize this refreshing beer. You'll notice a pronounced spicy aroma and refreshing finish.

(Beer added by: Todd on 08-30-2006)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Michelob Bavarian Style Wheat Alström Bros
biggmike

Mississippi

3.08/5  rDev -11.7%

Poured a slightly cloudy yellow with big fluffy white head that lasted until the end. Aroma of banana is very evident right up front along with spice. Mouthfeel is a bit on the thin side for a Hefeweizen, much thinner than say a Franziskaner. Flavor is banana and spice as well. Pleasing up front, but the finish is disappointing and a bit phenolic. They came close with this one, but just missed the mark. By the way, I had this once before, and I thought it sucked. For whatever reason, much better this time around. Born on date-05/03/2007. Said it was best before 110 days, I had it on its 95th day.

08-06-2007 14:33:42 | More by biggmike
umustdrink

3.48/5  rDev -0.3%

A - Hazy yellow to light orange color. An aggressive pour yielded a thick head but it quickly regressed to a film, thicker around the edges, then almost nothing. No lace to speak of.

S - Nice smell, sweet banana and bubblegum yeastiness complimented with an earthy grassy dirt like smell.

T/M - Starts out a bit thin, then quickly a sweet hint of sugary banana. It gets a bit thicker in the middle, then a good carbonation bite all with characteristic Weizen tastes. Finishes pretty good, leaving nice tastes of yeast and wheat.

D - Overall this is not a terrible drink and I can't really tell that it was mass produced. Flavors are there, but I would have liked to have seen more depth and complexity. On the other hand, it came from Anheuser Busch and only cost me $5 for the six pack.

07-26-2007 02:45:38 | More by umustdrink
BuckeyeNation

3.53/5  rDev +1.1%

Transparent amber that only becomes (slightly) cloudy when the final finger of beer is added to the glass. The stiffly creamy beige cap may be the best looking lid that I've seen on an A-B product. It's semi-rocky as it melts and deposits a good bit of lace in the bargain.

Both of the major hefe weizen aromas (banana and clove) are present, but they're too laid back and too simplistic to truly impress. Still, credit must be given for style accuracy... as opposed to yet another American pale wheat passing itself off as a true German-style hefe.

The first several seconds of each mouthful are wonderful. They're filled with loads of sweet, ripe banana and zesty ground clove. The hefe weizen banan-o-meter score is an impressive, monkey-approved 4.0/5.0. The brewery has either used a tremendously estery yeast strain or they've perfected banana and clove extracts that mimic a tremendously estery yeast strain. After those first few seconds, however, cracks in the flavor facade begin to show.

The biggest problem with MBSW (and it isn't a deal breaker by any means) is a lack of good, quality wheat malt. Once the delicious top notes fade, it's obvious that there's very little of substance backing them up. As a result, the body/mouthfeel is too light. It's also too fizzy. Even a hint of creaminess would have done wonders. To be fair, a light creaminess arrives on the scene in the second half of the bottle.

Michelob Bavarian Style Wheat is not bad beer. In fact, it's one of my three favorites from A-B (Anheuser World Lager and Spring Heat Spiced Wheat are the others). Kudos to the brewery for taking a stab at a worthwhile style and for almost pulling it off.

07-24-2007 11:46:33 | More by BuckeyeNation
witster18

Tennessee

2.83/5  rDev -18.9%

Pours with about an .25" head....dissapates like mist like Fla. Nose is lemon and banana. Taste is similiar but add a touch of not so impressive clove. Not terrible but the is just what I expected....a cross between Mich Lt and a good hefe. Taste isn't bad...drinkability isn't either...but in the large scope of things....especially for genre consistancy...NAH...leave the Hefe's to the German's...we keep screwing it up. Won't revisit....I like the rest of their seasonal picks better....

07-17-2007 20:45:35 | More by witster18
gmfessen

4.03/5  rDev +15.5%

Poured from the bottle into a pint glass, beer is a hazy yellow color with a thin, effervescent head. The smell is very much of banana, slightly clovey and a bit of spice. The taste is similar to the smell, with a hint of budwiserish malt. The mouthfeel is pretty light in body with not too much carbonation. Very drinkable, goes down easy and smooth. I'm very impressed with this beer, cheers to AB for this one!

07-16-2007 00:15:29 | More by gmfessen
Minkybut

2.35/5  rDev -32.7%

I poured this wierd beer from the bottle to a tumbler at 50 degrees. The beer was slightly cloudy with a nice white head. The smell was slightly sour and so was the taste. I thought the beer was bad and poured it out, got another but it was the same taste. I will not buy again for sure.

07-07-2007 11:20:24 | More by Minkybut
Mitchster

4.85/5  rDev +39%

"Premium Heritage", "All Natural Ale", "Rich and Smooth", so adorn the words on this 12oz bottle. Leave it up to Michelob to convince my skeptical beer enthusiasm otherwise. Born on date of May 03, 2007. This poured out crystal clear, but then I did actually see a small slurry of yeast in the bottom of the bottle, so I swirled and added it. Lightly cloudy pale golden with peach accents, moderate carbonation with an average-sized rocky white head. Average retention and sparse lacing. Surprise, surprise....we do have a Bavarian Hefe-Weizen in our midsts! The nose is actually pretty dang good with the requisite cloves and green bananas..touch of crackery wheat and rubber. Mouthfeel is crisp and clean with a medium-light body. Dang! This is a damn good beer! Probably the first authentic ale I've ever had from a macrobrewer! No corn, no rice, no cheap domestic lager taste. This is the real deal! The taste is spicy and full flavored with a complimentary breadiness, a little bit of burnt rubber which I find appetizing if restrained (unlike Bell's wheat series), green bananas...nice! The bitterness is perfectly balanced...delicate yet sharp and distinct at the same time.

Dude, seriously...this is a damn fine tasty brew, and believe it or not, one of the best Hefe-Weizens I've ever had! Forget the Michlelob label...Now I can say that I have actually been impressed by a macrobrew! Damn, this is tasty. I will be definitely picking up more of this. I could put away of 6'er of this no prob. An amazing beer. Highly recommended!

07-01-2007 00:04:47 | More by Mitchster
hero27

3.88/5  rDev +11.2%

12 oz bottle.
Bottled date: 4/18/07

Slightly hazy straw color. Decent head of white foam sits on top.
A heavy load of spices are tasted right off the bat..makes quite the impression...bold banana & clove flavors take the yeasty aspects to another level. Some fruity qualities with the banana and a tad of lemon zest thrown in for good measure.
Carbonation is pretty well done. Quite refreshing and smooth.

Overall, I'm impressed. This is certainly one of the best Anheuser-Busch products I've had. I certainly wouldn't mind having a few more of these over the course of the summer.

06-18-2007 00:11:15 | More by hero27
Chaz

3.58/5  rDev +2.6%

Medium pour produces a hazey pale golden ale, topped with an off-white head of medium duration and average lacing. Big broad strokes of cloves, vanilla, and banana on the nose. Huge sweet bananas and spicey cloves on the first sip, with a bit of mellow marshmallow and vanilla in the middle of the palate. Fairly round and medium-full bodied. Juicy and sweet throughout, and only slightly offset by light citrus notes and the spicey clove contribution of the yeast. I'm usually not too fond of an overly sweet Hefe Weizen, but this one is somehow bucking that trend - is it because I wouldn't normally expect an A-B brew to taste this good? Maybe. Decent carbonation and rather good drinkability throughout, with a semi-sweet finish and minimal bitterness, as per the style. It even holds up nicely as it warms! If I didn't know this was an A-B product, if it were served to me in a flip-top German bottle at a local German bierhall I'd be convinced, and I'm equally convinced regardless of point of origin. If A-B were to rebrand this and reintroduce it (perhaps under the aegis of a Stone Mill or Redbribge) they just might be onto something - it might even eat into the sales of Blue Moon! But saddled with the Michelob name as it is, I just can't see it making much of an impression at retail? Sorry, but not even the new all-malt renderings and fancy contoured bottles can do much to bolster the once-prestigious Michelob brand name, it's a lame horse best known for its Golden Light iteration, which sells like crazy (for whatever reason) and tastes nothing like this one . . . this is a missed opportunity for A-B to prove to a wider audience that they can produce a tasty, to-style rendition.
Served chilled in a shaker pint.
Single purchased at Paradise Liquors in Plymouth, MN.

06-14-2007 20:53:40 | More by Chaz
budgood1

4.13/5  rDev +18.3%

pours into my weizen glass a cloudy and very effervescent dirty gold colour. foamy head dies down quickly, but lots of lively carbonation supports what head is left for awhile. little lacing. nice spicy clove and banana aroma. the taste is another pleasant and traditional wallop of clove and spice, wheat notes with a dose of ripe bananas. the addition of the dregs in the bottom of the bottle of course makes all the difference in the taste profile. it settles down the carbonation and adds a nice yeast element that makes it seem authentic to the style. vanilla and bubblegum appear loudly and there is a nice floral hop attitude, too, which makes it seem all the more interesting. this is a nice tasting hefeweizen. very impressive. it's got all nuances of a good hefe nailed. the body is nice and roundish; the mouthfeel creamy after all the carbonation has settled down. finishes beautifully...lots of residual hefe flavours to savor .

ok...i was taken aback by this offering, not expecting at all the true to style "bavarian style wheat". it's a hefe and it's good. i only bought a sixer expecting to be disappointed, but i will go back for more due to the fact i'm short on hefe examples this year. a fine job from the "evil A-B".

06-10-2007 22:38:45 | More by budgood1
RespectTheBrew

Kentucky

4.38/5  rDev +25.5%

The standard I use for any Hefe Weizen is Hofbrau. We have a Hofbrauhaus here near where I live, and the best, freshest Weizen is brewed just a few miles from my house. However, a few local stores, like Kroger, carry the 1 liter bottles of Hofbrau Hefe Weizen, but it’s not nearly as good because it has a long journey from Germany, and sits the shelves a while here in the states. This leads me to my point. When I tried this Bavarian Style Wheat, it was closer to Hofbrau’s fresh draft Hefe Weizen than the imported bottled Hofbrau Hefe Weizen. I was shocked, and happy. I recently saw this in a 6 pack. Hopefully A-B will keep this one.

06-03-2007 21:34:58 | More by RespectTheBrew
BEERchitect

Kentucky

3.38/5  rDev -3.2%

I beleive this is a fine beer. Though not special, it exceeded my expectations from the Michelob brand. The brew poured a moderate haze and a dirty straw color. Though fizzy carbonation overshadowed any softness, the head retention proved worth while. Aromas hinged on graininess and raw barley, but did exhibit a moderate maltiness, fruity esters, and a bready / yeasty scent. Flavors closely shadows the aromas, but fell a bit on a cereal grain note and with lesser emphasis on fruitiness, esters, and breadiness. The feel was a carbonation dominant scrubbing and proved to be the least enjoyable moment within the session; then later fell flat. Never showed the rich and smooth textures that separate the German Hefeweizens from the rest of the world's.

05-16-2007 21:22:26 | More by BEERchitect
afinepilsner

3.7/5  rDev +6%

12oz brown bottle

Michelob Bavarian Style Wheat was a hazy yellow color with a thick creamy white head. The head stuck around a while, leaving some lace behind. The aroma was nice, with wheat, banana, and clove. The taste was nice and fruity, a little sweet upfront with a balanced finish. The mouthfeel was good, a medium-light body with good carbonation. Drinkability was also good. Wow, this a Michelob? While it's not the best hefeweizen out there, it's definately one of the best beers by Anheuser-Busch that I've had.

05-15-2007 00:13:19 | More by afinepilsner
xav33

3.5/5  rDev +0.3%

Michelob Bavarian Style Wheat
12 oz bottle
Born on 04/07, liquidated 04/07
Medium pour in a weizen glass.

Poured a golden yellow with a large frothy somewhat lasting white head.

Smelt of moderate to strong bananas, dough, spices, flowers.

Taste was upfront moderate sweet banana and light bitter spices followed by a strong bitter dough and spices and light sweet floweriness on an average finish.

Palate was light bodied, watery to a semi dry finish, fizzy and lightly astringent.

Overall, this is a pleasant surprise. Some strong banana and wheat flavors here, for a reasonable price.

05-01-2007 05:46:00 | More by xav33
RedHaze

Nebraska

3.63/5  rDev +4%

Thanks to bditty for this bottle. Born on date of 06Apr07.

Pours a hazy pale yellow, with a one finger white head that actually took a good while for it to fade to a soapy cap. I like the fact that this doesn't seem to be overly filtered.

Smell; nice wheaty aroma, with hints of bananas and cloves. This doesn't have a really strong hefe-weizen smell to it, but it is pretty decent especially with this coming from A-B.

Taste; as with the smell, the flavor isn't strongly hefe-weizen, but it does have a decent wheat malt presence, with faint hints of bananas, cloves and just vague impression of bubblegum. I would have liked a bit more spiciness in there, and it comes off just a little bit watery.

Mouthfeel is on the thin side, but the drinkability is pretty darn good. This is by far the best beer that I've ever had from the big three. I wouldn't mind having a few of these on occasion.

04-29-2007 01:08:41 | More by RedHaze
bditty187

Nebraska

4.18/5  rDev +19.8%

Hazy, pale-gold in hue, minimal animation; white head, at the apex the foam was only a finger tall. Head retention was tolerable, the bubbles steadily faded to a soapy cap before turning naked in the middle. Wheat beers should have much better head qualities, IMO. There is minimal lacing; hardly noteworthy. The appearance falls on the low end of standard.

The nose smells wheaty with barley malt undercurrents; hints of bubblegum, suggestions of banana… faint notions of clove can be detected. IMO, the yeast does a good job adding the needed “Hefe” aromas. I’d like some more wheat aromas (but that is nitpicking); maybe some peppery notes would be nice (again, nitpicking). Moderate-low potency; the bouquet says what I want a Hefeweizen to say. I’d like more pizzazz but the nose is still inviting.

The palate is tastier than expected! Wheat flavors upfront and lingers throughout; the ideal amount of banana flavors shine with hints of clove. The bubblegum arrives towards the finish, I like it. Sweet, candy-ish ending with a smattering of malt; I can’t complain… I like this Hefe. While it is not world class it is pretty damn tasty! I like the soft, pliable nature of the flavors. Impressive.

Around medium in body, moderate carbonation, the mouthfeel fits the style nicely. Maybe a tad more effervesces would be nice but I can live with it as is.

I could happily kickback and drink a six-pack of this beer. It is good. Ignore the AB label. Call me stupid but this is as well-made as any American Hefe I’ve tried (Granted, I haven’t tried all the heavy hitters, i.e., Live Oak). Still, if I had another bottle I’d drink it right now. No complaints. Delicious. Given to me by an AB rep; this comes in six-packs, right?

04-25-2007 16:38:03 | More by bditty187
Beeryce

3.38/5  rDev -3.2%

Head is ample and dense, crowning the hazy and effervescent straw gold brew. Large amounts of sediment, needed a good swirl to release all their goodness.

Great nose of clove, citrus, banana and wheat.

The taste is nicely balanced between the spice and fuitness, provided by the unique yeast strain, and the wonderful wheat malt flavor. The combination of spice and bitterness of yeast and hops give way to the clean wheat malt taste accented with a lemony tang. The finish is slightly sour with a little green banana in the aftertaste.

Mouthfeel very pleasant; light and crisp, matching style and taste.

Drinkability is very high, would be great in the summer at a BBQ, or anytime with some German food.

04-11-2007 03:01:57 | More by Beeryce
JoeyBeerBelly

3.63/5  rDev +4%

Got 4 of these in the 2006 Michelob Variety 20 pack.

pours a nice cloudy golden color with a foamy white head that hung around for a while and left a fine lacing.

It smells like a hefe, wheat, yeast, and mildew.

It is slightly above average tasting, considering it is from a macro brewery the size of A/B.

Mouthfeel ain't half bad either, I put a piece of lemon in my 2nd one and it deffinitely helped this beer out.

I could have a few of these in a sitting and I think if you can have 3 to 4 hefe's in a sitting, it's got 'good' drinkability.

03-28-2007 21:35:17 | More by JoeyBeerBelly
McClungbrew2

West Virginia

3.55/5  rDev +1.7%

Poured from a 12 ounce bottle. The color is hazy, unfiltered golden, slightly more amber than straw. Nice bright white head that fell rather quickly to a thin layer of bubles.

The aroma was yeasty, with subtle hints of banana and clove.

The flavor was very subtle, somewhat yeasty, but the banana and clove came through at the end remained in the aftertaste.

The mouthfeel was lively, light and a little tangy in a good way.

This is a better than average beer, but not outstanding.

03-12-2007 01:12:33 | More by McClungbrew2
fizzy

4.35/5  rDev +24.6%

Came from a sampler case, @$10.99 just a day out of date. Tomorrow I will buy a couple more 20 bottle cases. I like all kinds of beer, I would still buy the 3 cases for $7.50 if there were available.Yikes, I am living 30 years in the past. First thing I noticed was that clove flavor everybody likes to mention, then, after a moment that banana Popsicle flavor came though. In a pilsner glass the faint haze looks great. Not much head after sitting 5 minutes- what's a head for anyway? Geeze, I like this stuff, and no lemon either. Like I say, tomorrow I buy 2 or 3 more cases, hope it's still there. By the way, the Porter is great too. I am a Hamm's man, so give me a break!

02-21-2007 23:20:54 | More by fizzy
MrHurmateeowish

Maine

3.73/5  rDev +6.9%

12 oz brown bottle bought (individually) from Florian's in Auburn. Murky yellow body with about an inch of white head. Smells like banana with hints of citrus and spice. Tastes like banana and corriander, with some yeast notes. Lighter-bodied as expected for the style. Fairly drinkable and refreshing. A little light-tasting IMO, making it hard for me to compare to German hefs, but definitely a decent hef and probably the best Michelob I've ever had.

01-25-2007 23:20:17 | More by MrHurmateeowish
CU570M

Washington

3.05/5  rDev -12.6%

Foggy pale yellow, little to no head. Disapears very quickly. This brew smells like rubbing alcohol and pineapple bananas. Very unusual but i kind of enjoyed it. Mouthfeel on this brew was dry with a medium carbonation. Drinkability is average to a little less. I like the banana flavor alright, but a lot of people will find it a little too different.

01-23-2007 15:50:24 | More by CU570M
Procrastinator

3.88/5  rDev +11.2%

12 oz. bottle from 20-pack sampler bought around Christmas. Born on date of 15 Aug 06. Poured into Nonic pint glass after swirling final two ounces of bottle to receive bottle conditioned yeast.

Appearance: the swirl of final two ounces within bottle causes towering 2" creamy head which slowly recedes into extremely sticky lacing. Yeast hangs in oddly shaped clouds within honey colored, cloudy brew.

Smell: soft wheat bread, mild aroma of bananas and cloves and bubblegum. Other spices, maybe coriander. Little, if any, hops can be indicated.

Taste: definite wheat malt, bananas and gum sweetness balanced by mild hop bitterness. Nice short lived aftertaste.

Mouthfeel: very enjoyable carbonation, medium bodied and easy to drink.

Drinkability: very refreshing beer. Would look forward to drinking several at any one session. Surprisingly good, knowing it's an A-B product, which normally equates to tasteless.

01-22-2007 23:42:03 | More by Procrastinator
mntlover

Tennessee

3.38/5  rDev -3.2%

Pours a hazy golden color, darker in the middle as always. Sporting a smaller whitish head then would be normal for a hefe even with aggressive pour not much lace left either considering the style.

Aroma is bready malts, lemon grass right after pour that fades to hints. Lightly spicy earthy yeasts with light cloves present. No real banana presence more citrusy in nature.

Taste is bready malts and wheat, some banana does show up in the flavor but still more citrusy in flavor. Has nice earthy/grass yeasty flavors in the finish with hints of clove showing up long after the swallow. Taste is much nicer then the aroma more like a hefe nicer flavors then the smell indicated.

Mouthfeel is medium leaning to the light side carbonation little lighter then most hefes but good none the less.

Drinkability is good flavor is good nice malty wheaty a decent try for Bud I have had worse.

01-19-2007 16:27:53 | More by mntlover
Blakaeris

3.73/5  rDev +6.9%

Pours hazy lemon yellow with a modest white head that dissipates rather quickly.

Smell is bready with nice bannana notes. Light fruity sweetness and a touch of yeasty spice.

Taste is similiar to the nose. Nice bready flavor, bananna is subdued compared to the nose but still has a presense. Decent malt base makes an appearance and melds well with the sweet fruitiness. Finish retains yeasty spices and a mild hop bite.

Mouthfeel is medium bodied, and a little prickly.

If I didn't know better I would never have guessed that this is an AB product. Completely lacks the corn sweetness that is present in their other offerings. Surprisingly good.

01-04-2007 23:25:12 | More by Blakaeris