Michelob Bavarian Style Wheat - Anheuser-Busch

Anheuser-Busch visit their website
Missouri, United States

Hefeweizen |  5.20% ABV

Beer added by: Todd on 08-30-2006

A crisp, delicious wheat beer, Michelob Bavarian Style Wheat is brewed as a traditional, unfiltered hefeweizen. Natural cloudiness and a light, bright yellow color characterize this refreshing beer. You'll notice a pronounced spicy aroma and refreshing finish.

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Michelob Bavarian Style Wheat Alström Bros
firstprev| 51-75 | 76-100 | 101-125  | next → last
3.2/5  rDev -7.2%

A - Poured out a golden yellow color with a small, white head that quickly dissipates. It was highly carbonated and left a little lace.

S - It smelled of lots of clove. There was also a wheat and yeast aroma.

T - It tasted of wheat and spices. It had a nice touch of clove, too.

M - It was fairly crisp and sharp. A light-bodied beer.

D - This is a pretty good beer from A-B.

3.2/5  rDev -7.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

Presentation: 12 oz twist off longneck. As you would expect form AB, it has a born on date. It also has pouring instructions, telling you to mix in the sediment.

Appearance: Pours clear yellow until the sediment is mixed in, then it takes on a bit of an orangish cloud. Thin head fades very quickly.

Smell: Wheat and a bit of banana.

Taste: Not bad - a nice wheat flavor with some banana and hints of clove. There is a bit of a metallic bite to it that is the only unpleasant aspect.

Overall impression: Certainly one of the better AB products I have had - this could be a good gateway beer or a savior in a macro bar.

3.18/5  rDev -7.8%

So far, I've been moderately pleased with the various Michelob attempts at craft beers. Their hefeweizen falls short, I'm afraid.

A: Color is on target, pale and yellow. Yeast was present, but hard to stir up. I did manage to get enough in play to introduce some haze to the beer. Carbonation was low for style.

S: Aroma of clove and banana (more clove) is present, but could be more strongly presented.

T: Here is where the let down begins. There is a grainy maltiness to it up front, but it finishes watery.

M:Too thin, perhaps due to watery perception, perhaps due to low carbonation.

D: It's still a likeable enough beer. Some family members stock these Michelob brands because they know I like beer. There are much worse things. But if I'm comparing to a German weizen or even one of my homebrews, this falls short.

3.17/5  rDev -8.1%

Served from bottle to a glass cold. Part of large sampler pack.

A - Orange/yellowish tint with 1 finger of foam at the end.

S - strong citrus smell with hops and wheat mixed in.

T - over powering hop/wheat mixed with citrus juice spiced after taste.

M - light bodied with a slight grainy feel going down.

D - Enjoyed trying the beer but not for me to drink on a regular basis. Anyone to enjoy with others but the sampler pack will be fine with me. Will try others in this class to compare.

3.17/5  rDev -8.1%

I poured the light bronzed colored beer into my pint glass. Little white head disappeared quickly. It smells like pumpkins and/or bananas. It tastes OK. It's a bit thin just like a regular Budweiser or something. Not like a normal wheat beer. Easy to drink, however. I would best describe this beer this way; It seems like a normal American mass-brewed beer with artificial flavoring. It's decent. I'd buy it again but mostly because of the cheap price.

3.16/5  rDev -8.4%

Pours to a hazy golden orange, with medium off-white head that lingers well and then leaves good lacing. Aroma was a bit muted, but what was there was a doughy wheat smell. Flavor was some wheat and dough, with a slight hint of what tasted like bubblegum. Decent finish at first, though it turned a little stale toward the end of the glass. Not a great wheat beer by any menas, but not a bad BMC offering.

3.12/5  rDev -9.6%

This beer poured a cloudy straw color. The smell is sweet and a bit hoppy. The taste is hoppy and spicy. The aftertaste is almost like a sweet cereal. The mouthfeel is medium bodied and well balanced. I must say I was surprised at this and would consider it a drinkable brew.

3.08/5  rDev -10.7%

Poured a slightly cloudy yellow with big fluffy white head that lasted until the end. Aroma of banana is very evident right up front along with spice. Mouthfeel is a bit on the thin side for a Hefeweizen, much thinner than say a Franziskaner. Flavor is banana and spice as well. Pleasing up front, but the finish is disappointing and a bit phenolic. They came close with this one, but just missed the mark. By the way, I had this once before, and I thought it sucked. For whatever reason, much better this time around. Born on date-05/03/2007. Said it was best before 110 days, I had it on its 95th day.

look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Foggy pale yellow, little to no head. Disapears very quickly. This brew smells like rubbing alcohol and pineapple bananas. Very unusual but i kind of enjoyed it. Mouthfeel on this brew was dry with a medium carbonation. Drinkability is average to a little less. I like the banana flavor alright, but a lot of people will find it a little too different.

Pours a five-finger white head that fades slowly to a thin layer leaving some lace. Cloudy, very pale amber color. spicy clove nose. Light carbonation and light bodied. Flavor is grassy, peppery with slight bubblegum finish. 12oz bottle, bottled on May 3, 2007, $1.25 from Kappy's Fresh Pond Jamaica Plain, MA.

2.98/5  rDev -13.6%

A - Light Yellow, touch of cloudyness, white head with light lacing.

S - Fruity scent, I can't pick up much else.

T - Pretty light on flavor, seems close to a standard Hefe that doesn't break any boundries. Hint of fruit possibly, but only upfront.

M - Light and has a carb bite to it.

D - I had this last weekend, on a day around 45 degrees. I could see myself putting back a few of these during the hot summer months as this style becomes my favorite in July.

I liked this, I was suprised really. Although out of all BMC beers the Michelob line seems to offer some of the more interesting offerings.

2.97/5  rDev -13.9%

12 oz. bottle in a weizen glass.

A - Nice cloudy pale yellow with little head.

S - Sweet wheat and malt smell.

T - Nice and sweet. Almost a creamed corn flavor.

M - Light bodied with good carbonation.

D - OK, it's a little to sweet but it's a lot better than I expected from Michelob.

2.92/5  rDev -15.4%

This beer pours a murky, not quite cloudy, pale orange color. The head is large, and fluffy, and recedes slowly. The aroma is of bubblegum with a hint of cloves. The taste is like the aroma, but thinner. The mouthfeel is very light for a hefe. Overall, this is a inoffensive, but not very good.

2.87/5  rDev -16.8%

Pours a watery, boring looking slightly hazy golden colour with a minimal head that leaves virtually no markings on the glass. This one essentially looks like a hazy Budweiser to me. Not very impressive.

The aroma is wheaty, with a strong blend of banana and bubble gum coming through. There are hints of spice here as well but this one is far too sweet overall.

The flavour is in line with the aroma, which means it's not necessarily that great. Sweetness from bubble gum and banana notes is slightly subdued although still powerful, and the bubble gum notes actually give way to a more sugary, general candy flavour at times. Clove comes through at the finish, along wit ha quick blast of wheat flavour. Mouthfeel is light boded and just not hefeweizen-esque.

This was the first real disappointment from the Michelob specialty brews. It's too sweet and just too much like a below average Pale Wheat Ale rather than a hefeweizen. I'd say pass on this one...

2.8/5  rDev -18.8%

Pours with about an .25" head....dissapates like mist like Fla. Nose is lemon and banana. Taste is similiar but add a touch of not so impressive clove. Not terrible but the is just what I expected....a cross between Mich Lt and a good hefe. Taste isn't bad...drinkability isn't either...but in the large scope of things....especially for genre consistancy...NAH...leave the Hefe's to the German's...we keep screwing it up. Won't revisit....I like the rest of their seasonal picks better....

2.75/5  rDev -20.3%

Appearance- I thought it was a little clear for wheat but other than that it was not bad. It has decent yellow body. The head and lace are now you see them now you don't.

Smell- The smell was beany, spiced and fruity malt like.

Taste- The taste starts off well it has a good initial wheat beer taste but the aftertaste is not quit right. The after has vegetable like feel.

Mouthfeel- Soupy.

Drinkability- Average.

2.74/5  rDev -20.6%

Came from a sampler pack… Poured out a crystal clear light golden color with plenty of carbonation and a short lasting but thick head that thinned out into an even layer with no lacing at all. It has a very sweet and fruity aroma: oranges, some peach, a little banana and very little malt. It has a crisp but not refreshing feel to it and it seems a bit too watery. It’s slightly tart and has some mild hints of banana in its aftertaste, but it’s not dry and doesn’t have any alcohol taste in it. Over all not bad and its a pretty smooth drinker.

2.74/5  rDev -20.6%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

A clear unfiltered wheat beer from A-B? OK, I'll give anything a shot once.
A: Medium gold with a small, white, fizzy head that quickly and fully diminishes
S: Actually not bad at all. Spicy wheat & yeast like a hefe should have
T: Taste follows the aroma. It’s characteristics are true to style… but it’s just watered down and weak, especially on the finish.
M: Thin body, watery texture, lively carbonation.
D: When I first smelled it, I was impressed for a second, but no. It’s a typical A-B lackluster beer.

2.58/5  rDev -25.2%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured from a 12oz. bottle into a pint glass, semi-translucent orange-hued yellow with a thin top of white fizzy foam that quickly settles to a light ring of thin lace. Aroma is spicy and sweet, yeast, clove, earthy undertones of banana and grain. Taste is very much of the same, wheat/yeast flavors, light spiciness that comes and goes quickly, finishes clean without aftertaste, slightly dry. Mouthfeel is a little rough, lighter body with moderate carbonation levels. Drinkability is good, easily the high point of this brew, goes down easy and is refreshing. Nothing wrong with it, just nothing special at all, very basic brew.

2.45/5  rDev -29%

From notes 1-25-10

Eye: Lemon square, or golden hay if you prefer, yellow in color. Once the yeast is poured into it becomes a wet oak color and is no longer hazy-clear, but cloudy. Head formation is very nice, retention is, well there is not. The head fell faster than peasants during the black plague. Could be my glass though.

Nose: Clove and banana in the aroma, also some real bready and yeasty aromas, kinda like bread yeast thats re-hydrating. Not really much more to it than that. Pretty standard, pretty average. There's also something that comes and goes in the aroma, can't quite put a finger on it or decide if its a flaw or if its supposed to be there...

Tongue: Wow, rather than be something akin to the aroma this is just watery. Flavor is way to light and is fleeting. I swear its much better out of the bottle. LIght banana and clove and then just too clean and watery. I was thinking before I drank this out of this Erdinger glass that this was one of the best crafted out of the four in the twelve pack. Soft wheat flavor...overall just way to clean, it tastes and feels lifeless. I'm gonna come back to this one next time a crack a bottle open.

Feel and Drinkability: Carbonation is almost vacant here, this beer feels lifeless. Again, it felt and made more sense out of the bottle. Feel is slick and too heavy, without higher levels of carbonation to spritz this up it just feels wrong in the mouth, too heavy and kinda like unfermented wort. As I said before the others were easier to drink, but this one, in this glass, well its dead. Definitely gonna come back to this.

2.4/5  rDev -30.4%

I poured this wierd beer from the bottle to a tumbler at 50 degrees. The beer was slightly cloudy with a nice white head. The smell was slightly sour and so was the taste. I thought the beer was bad and poured it out, got another but it was the same taste. I will not buy again for sure.

2.18/5  rDev -36.8%

Starts a little cloudy, yellow with carbonation like a sparkling apple cider with little head and almost no lace. Smells a little like juicy fruit with an artifical sweet scent closer to the actual gum. Mouth is thin, washed a little bitter and left a soda water like twinge and old corn pop flavor. Bleah.

Well, this is a little HEFE, and a little wheat. It seems like the fruitiness is artifical and a corn pop like after effect that is a little off. The bitter taste here is again of soda water, and it just doesn't blend properly.

This is not for me. I want a smoother taste with a thicker texture like the better Hefes and the bolder wheat and pleasent aftertaste of a better wheat. This is neither. It's a macro stab that misses for me.

1.91/5  rDev -44.6%

Appearance- Served from a bottle from the michelob sampler pack. The bottle doesn't look that great but it does have a nice pour instruction on the neck for those who aren't sure of the correct pour. My pour, although done correctly, gave a very low amount of head which really let me down.

Smell- This is where the beer started it's downward decent. I couldn't get over the overpowering banana smell from this brew that permeated every sense I could throw at it.

Taste- Similarly to smell, this brew was beer bananas for me and nothing else complex. I wouldn't mind to see a hint of banana but it was all upfront for me.

Mouthfeel- The carbonation on mine was a little lower than I would have liked to see. I feel a bit more would have helped even out the banana.

Drinkability- I have to give this one a major pass as I plan to never drink one again. I respect those who enjoy this beer, but for me, it wasn't my cup of tea.

1.56/5  rDev -54.8%

I hate to say this, but as a big Anheuser-Busch fan (sorry to admit that to some folks), this beer totally disappointed me.
I would like to say it may have been a pack that was cooled, warmed, cooled then warmed again, but it still couldn't be this bad.
In reading past reviews, it seems there may have been a bad batch. I see it goes from a good call to low 2's in ratings.
I'll give this another shot, but I did not like this a bit.

1.11/5  rDev -67.8%

This beer is not my idea of a joke. The style for one is not my favorite but the beer itself is a really bad version of the style. Molded grass and rotton hay dominate all aspects of this beer. Even if this style is your preference, I would still shy away from this.

firstprev| 51-75 | 76-100 | 101-125  | next → last