Michelob Bavarian Style Wheat - Anheuser-Busch

Anheuser-Busch visit their website
Missouri, United States

Hefeweizen |  5.20% ABV

Beer added by: Todd on 08-30-2006

A crisp, delicious wheat beer, Michelob Bavarian Style Wheat is brewed as a traditional, unfiltered hefeweizen. Natural cloudiness and a light, bright yellow color characterize this refreshing beer. You'll notice a pronounced spicy aroma and refreshing finish.

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Michelob Bavarian Style Wheat Alström Bros
firstprev| 51-75 | 76-100 | 101-125  | next → last
2.97/5  rDev -13.9%

12 oz. bottle in a weizen glass.

A - Nice cloudy pale yellow with little head.

S - Sweet wheat and malt smell.

T - Nice and sweet. Almost a creamed corn flavor.

M - Light bodied with good carbonation.

D - OK, it's a little to sweet but it's a lot better than I expected from Michelob.

3.8/5  rDev +10.1%

I'm pretty sure that Michelob Bavarian Style Wheat is the same beer as Budweiser's "Spring Heat Spiced Wheat" that they released earlier this year. I drank a good bit of that at happy hour(s) and this beer, although bottled, is very familiar. Unfiltered but not too hazy. Sweet honey scent. Sweetish taste evened out by the yeast. A slight sting in the mouthfeel that quickly evens out. I drank a lot of it then, and as long as its still $1.25 at happy hour, I would still drink a lot of this.

3.21/5  rDev -7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

A - Pours cloudy gold, with a thin white head. Lots of sparkly bubbles keep floating up.

S - Not much, a little wet wheat, maybe some sweetness.

T - A nice malty sweetness, maybe a little wheat flavor. It's there and gone however. All the carbonation leaves a very clean finish.

M - Light-Medium. Too light for the style maybe. Also lots of carbonation, very sharp.

D - For the price, it's not bad at all, but not a great hefe.

2.8/5  rDev -18.8%

Pours with about an .25" head....dissapates like mist like Fla. Nose is lemon and banana. Taste is similiar but add a touch of not so impressive clove. Not terrible but the is just what I expected....a cross between Mich Lt and a good hefe. Taste isn't bad...drinkability isn't either...but in the large scope of things....especially for genre consistancy...NAH...leave the Hefe's to the German's...we keep screwing it up. Won't revisit....I like the rest of their seasonal picks better....

3.33/5  rDev -3.5%

Served in a pint glass. Pours a cloudy gold with a white soda-like head. The head thins to a ring and leaves no lacing.

The aroma is thin, and as expected from a heffe. Banana, clove, bubblegum are all there, as well as some citrus. The flavor is thin. A bit of lemony sour at first, but that went away quickly. There's a lot of bubblegum flavor. Mouthfeel is thin.

It's an easy drinking Heffe, not great, but probably the best offering in the Michelob mix pack.

2.58/5  rDev -25.2%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured from a 12oz. bottle into a pint glass, semi-translucent orange-hued yellow with a thin top of white fizzy foam that quickly settles to a light ring of thin lace. Aroma is spicy and sweet, yeast, clove, earthy undertones of banana and grain. Taste is very much of the same, wheat/yeast flavors, light spiciness that comes and goes quickly, finishes clean without aftertaste, slightly dry. Mouthfeel is a little rough, lighter body with moderate carbonation levels. Drinkability is good, easily the high point of this brew, goes down easy and is refreshing. Nothing wrong with it, just nothing special at all, very basic brew.

3.8/5  rDev +10.1%

12 oz. bottle from Ales & Lagers variety pack poured into mason jar mug.

A: Cloudy with golden color with large pure white head. Big bubbles, decent retention but no lacing.

S: Nice punch of clove, definately reminds me of a hefe.

T: Mild spicy clove taste, with a hint of banana, very mild.

M: Bubbly carbonation is about it

D: Much better than expected, making it an enjoyable hefe-typ beer.

Nice little beer from AB that is surprisingly enjoyable. One of my favorites in the variety pack.

3.85/5  rDev +11.6%

12 oz. bottle from 20-pack sampler bought around Christmas. Born on date of 15 Aug 06. Poured into Nonic pint glass after swirling final two ounces of bottle to receive bottle conditioned yeast.

Appearance: the swirl of final two ounces within bottle causes towering 2" creamy head which slowly recedes into extremely sticky lacing. Yeast hangs in oddly shaped clouds within honey colored, cloudy brew.

Smell: soft wheat bread, mild aroma of bananas and cloves and bubblegum. Other spices, maybe coriander. Little, if any, hops can be indicated.

Taste: definite wheat malt, bananas and gum sweetness balanced by mild hop bitterness. Nice short lived aftertaste.

Mouthfeel: very enjoyable carbonation, medium bodied and easy to drink.

Drinkability: very refreshing beer. Would look forward to drinking several at any one session. Surprisingly good, knowing it's an A-B product, which normally equates to tasteless.

3.95/5  rDev +14.5%

I saw this on BA a few days ago got the sample pack and tried this one first lets review.

12oz. Bottle poured into a frosted pint.

Pale yellow in color. Unfiltered, you can see the yeast just float in there. Snow white head hugs the glass all the way down.

Spices are present in the smell, turns into a malty grainish smell, fruits as well.

Light body and very smooth. More fruits when you sip. Cloves are present and a light touch of caramel. A big wheat bite gives you a new perspective on this brew. Not a lot of bitterness as the hops are subdued by the fruits. Dry finish of wheat and malts.

Awesome brew. And as the Bros. say below make sure you get every last drop out of the bottle it adds alot to the character.

3.63/5  rDev +5.2%

Poured into a Sam Adams Perfect Pint glass.
The beer poured a hazy straw gold, with a big, creamy white head. The head lingered for a minute and then receded. Minimal lacing noted.
The aroma was typical hefeweizen, but lighter. A decent banana nose was apparent, but very little in the way of clove and bubblegum. Sweet wheat and malt with a light fruitiness rounded out the package.
The taste was straightforward hefeweizen. No surprises and rather pleasant. Sweet flavors to the front, fresh wheat, banana, light clove, and some bready yeast. Decent mouthfeel and a good level of carbonation.
Overall, a very drinkable brew. I'd have this again.

3.62/5  rDev +4.9%

From a variety 20-pack

Clear until I swirled and poured the dreg to get the proper haze. Actually had a bit of a head to it, but it faded rather quickly. No lace of course.

I can smell the banana in here. Did the brewmasters at Anheuser swipe some yeast and recipes from one of the companies it bought?

Shockingly good taste for a micro. Ignore the label on the bottle - I think that this can compare to many other decent micro Heffies. Doesn't have the body or clove that I like, but there's ligit banana and some wheat crispness that I dig. Watery at the finish but still sweet, I'd have no problem snagging a sixer of these some time

3.47/5  rDev +0.6%

Poured from a bottle into a weizen glass.

Appearance: Pale yellow with plenty of carbonation and a decent head which fades quickly. A little hazy but no sediment at all. Pleasant looking but nothing too special

Smell: Very strong fruity smell. Banana and clove notes are very strong and has a distinct wheatiness to it. An ale in all respects. Extremely sweet smelling, and reminds me of tropical fruit.

Taste: Alright, but not with nearly the depth of flavour that I've come to expect from hefe's. Reasonably sweet. Yeast flavour dominates over most others, but still a banana, perhaps grape flavour can be tasted. Very weak, and I feel like I can almost taste adjunct something or another in this beer. Something I might taste in a bud light or something.

Mouthfeel: Crisp, with a little booziness coming through over the weak flavours. Carbonation stays in pretty well and it feels like a very weak champagne.

Drinkability: Solid beer considering what I was expecting. Not something I'd necessarily order again unless the alternatives were crappy american adjunct lagers. Low abv so if for some reason i wanted to have more than one I could. Weak enough flavour where it doesnt overwhelm the sense of taste, so drinkable in that sense. However the weak flavor means that I wouldnt really want to have another.

4.33/5  rDev +25.5%

Came from a sampler case, @$10.99 just a day out of date. Tomorrow I will buy a couple more 20 bottle cases. I like all kinds of beer, I would still buy the 3 cases for $7.50 if there were available.Yikes, I am living 30 years in the past. First thing I noticed was that clove flavor everybody likes to mention, then, after a moment that banana Popsicle flavor came though. In a pilsner glass the faint haze looks great. Not much head after sitting 5 minutes- what's a head for anyway? Geeze, I like this stuff, and no lemon either. Like I say, tomorrow I buy 2 or 3 more cases, hope it's still there. By the way, the Porter is great too. I am a Hamm's man, so give me a break!

3.35/5  rDev -2.9%

Head is ample and dense, crowning the hazy and effervescent straw gold brew. Large amounts of sediment, needed a good swirl to release all their goodness.

Great nose of clove, citrus, banana and wheat.

The taste is nicely balanced between the spice and fuitness, provided by the unique yeast strain, and the wonderful wheat malt flavor. The combination of spice and bitterness of yeast and hops give way to the clean wheat malt taste accented with a lemony tang. The finish is slightly sour with a little green banana in the aftertaste.

Mouthfeel very pleasant; light and crisp, matching style and taste.

Drinkability is very high, would be great in the summer at a BBQ, or anytime with some German food.

4.1/5  rDev +18.8%

Pours a hazy straw colored body with a big white fluffy head that leaves a good amount of lacing. Aroma is of banana, some other fruit and spice. Tastes are of banana and spice along with some orange peel and bready malt. It is light bodied, very smooth and creamy with a clean dry finish. This beer's drinkability is high in my opinion. I could easily down quite a few of these.

I was really surprised with just how good this AB brew is. I hope it becomes available in 6packs in my area in the near future.

3.97/5  rDev +15.1%

From the Michelob Specialty Ales & Lagers Sampler pack.

Presentation: 12oz bottle, poured into a weizen glass. Yes, there is actually yeast in the bottle of a Michelob branded beer.

Appearance: A hazy, pale orange tinted yellow with a big, white fluffy head that wasn't quite as spectacular or long lasting as other hefeweizens I've had.

Aroma: Ok, the moment of truth. Is it a true hefeweizen? Yes! Banana and clove aromas are there! A nice wheat malt aroma as well, and only a bare hint of hop.

Taste and Mouthfeel: Light bodied with a nice carbonation. Has a nice, grainy, tangy wheat malt flavor with prominent banana and clove as well. Earthy yeast flavors contribute that requisite flavor to this style. Finishes a bit dry.

Notes: Well how about that. The big boys produced a more authentic hefeweizen than Sam Adams. The flavor is quite good and authentic to the style, even down to the yeast. It's also a really drinkable beer. Maybe just a bit too light bodied. But it would be a great crossover beer. In fact, most of the beers in this pack would be.

look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Foggy pale yellow, little to no head. Disapears very quickly. This brew smells like rubbing alcohol and pineapple bananas. Very unusual but i kind of enjoyed it. Mouthfeel on this brew was dry with a medium carbonation. Drinkability is average to a little less. I like the banana flavor alright, but a lot of people will find it a little too different.

3.63/5  rDev +5.2%

Poured into a Weizen glass and paired with wheat thins, which was a surprisingly good combo.

Appearance- Pours a cloudy straw colored yellow with moderate head that dissapates relatively quickly.

Smell- Crazy banana and clove aromas, along with a healthy dose of yeast.

Taste- Not bad at all! Follows the smell very closely with a smooth fruitiness and spicy character. Pretty close to the German style as I remember it, although not really on the same level as say a Franziskaner Hefe-Weissen. It just doesn't have the same depth of flavor.

Mouthfeel- Smooth and slightly creamy. All in all a very pleasant.

Drinkability- Good drinkability for sure. I'd drink it again, but only if there wasn't anything too exciting available.

4.09/5  rDev +18.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Pours a cloudy gold.
Great smell, hops, malt, banana and clove.
Delicious. Very sweet but still has character. All the smells come through.
Feels nice in the mouth. Smooth carbonation.
Quite drinkable, maybe a little too sweet but otherwise a surprisingly complex and tasty beer.

$10.99 12 pack of Michelob specialty brews is a great deal. This is probably my favorite.

2.98/5  rDev -13.6%

A - Light Yellow, touch of cloudyness, white head with light lacing.

S - Fruity scent, I can't pick up much else.

T - Pretty light on flavor, seems close to a standard Hefe that doesn't break any boundries. Hint of fruit possibly, but only upfront.

M - Light and has a carb bite to it.

D - I had this last weekend, on a day around 45 degrees. I could see myself putting back a few of these during the hot summer months as this style becomes my favorite in July.

I liked this, I was suprised really. Although out of all BMC beers the Michelob line seems to offer some of the more interesting offerings.

3.53/5  rDev +2.3%

Poured from a 12 ounce bottle. The color is hazy, unfiltered golden, slightly more amber than straw. Nice bright white head that fell rather quickly to a thin layer of bubles.

The aroma was yeasty, with subtle hints of banana and clove.

The flavor was very subtle, somewhat yeasty, but the banana and clove came through at the end remained in the aftertaste.

The mouthfeel was lively, light and a little tangy in a good way.

This is a better than average beer, but not outstanding.

3.36/5  rDev -2.6%

Poured from a bottle into a mug.

Has a lighter color than other beers I've had today, but then it's the only wheat beer I've had today.

Doesn't have a strong smell, but that may just be the mug I've poured it into.

Taste is overpowering of bananas. Too much bananas. But other than that, this is a good wheat beer to drink. I wouldn't suggest giving it to your kid as their first wheat beer. But after you've enjoyed a few, this isn't a bad one to drink.

1.56/5  rDev -54.8%

I hate to say this, but as a big Anheuser-Busch fan (sorry to admit that to some folks), this beer totally disappointed me.
I would like to say it may have been a pack that was cooled, warmed, cooled then warmed again, but it still couldn't be this bad.
In reading past reviews, it seems there may have been a bad batch. I see it goes from a good call to low 2's in ratings.
I'll give this another shot, but I did not like this a bit.

4.35/5  rDev +26.1%

The standard I use for any Hefe Weizen is Hofbrau. We have a Hofbrauhaus here near where I live, and the best, freshest Weizen is brewed just a few miles from my house. However, a few local stores, like Kroger, carry the 1 liter bottles of Hofbrau Hefe Weizen, but it’s not nearly as good because it has a long journey from Germany, and sits the shelves a while here in the states. This leads me to my point. When I tried this Bavarian Style Wheat, it was closer to Hofbrau’s fresh draft Hefe Weizen than the imported bottled Hofbrau Hefe Weizen. I was shocked, and happy. I recently saw this in a 6 pack. Hopefully A-B will keep this one.

4.22/5  rDev +22.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

First of I am going to say I am going to be very open minded with any review I do on here knowing that everyone has their own likes and dislikes. This beer pours a very cloudy lighter amber color with plenty of head at first but the head disappeared pretty quickly. The smell is decent almost has a yeast smell which should be expected with any true wheat beer. The taste isn't to bad also with a light taste of banana and wheat taste. My opinion on this beer is if your the type of person who is not out for a full flavored dark beer. This would be a good one for you two try. This beer still offers you pleny of flavor for how smooth and light it is. Overall I must say good job Anheuser Busch. Don't understand why they don't try to market these beers more so than they do in their variety pack.

firstprev| 51-75 | 76-100 | 101-125  | next → last