Redbridge - Anheuser-Busch

Anheuser-Busch visit their website
Missouri, United States

American Amber / Red Lager |  4.00% ABV

Beer added by: BeerBeing on 12-10-2006

Rich, hearty and full-bodied gluten-free lager brewed from sorghum. Redbridge has a distinctively fruity hop aroma, a sweet toasted grain flavor and a well-balanced, moderately
hopped finish.
to view more.
Ratings: 442 | Reviews: 211
Reviews by BeerForMuscle:
1.85/5  rDev -28.6%

Poured from a 12 OZ bottle into a pint glass, then promptly dumped half into the toilet.
Aroma- smells like beer
Appearance- Looks like beer
Taste- Horrid, if you can't have gluten, then I guess you should drink wine. this is awful
Palate- not sure, couldn't get the taste out of my mouth.
Overall- really!! avoid, drink tap water.

3.08/5  rDev +18.9%

Review from BeerAdvocate Magazine March 2007.

Mainstream media is all over this beer because it's being marketed as gluten-free, but, oddly, the label doesn't use that term. Regardless, it's good to see another brewery catering to beer lovers who have celiac disease.

Pours with a hefty, off-white lace and leaves a patchy, web-like trail down the glass. Crystal-clear, copper-col- ored brew is darker than we thought. Clean, candy-like sweetness--almost a fresh bubble gum or plain taffy aroma--with a light, floral perfume tone in the back. Crisp and slick on the pal- ate, with a light-to-medium body. A peculiar sweetness comes forward first--sug- ar with a faint mineral bite similar to molasses. Quick snapback from the hops, but then more sweetness; slightly cloying but not in the same way as malt; a little more complex. Within the sweetness is a mealy grassiness that just won't shake off. Finishes steely and sweet.

An acquired taste, but if you have celiac disease, this would be your savior right now. Set aside all of that and Redbridge is a most interesting beer, and worth a try if you like your beer on the sweet side. We could see pairing this with a slow-cooked pot roast and roasted root vegetables.

3.4/5  rDev +31.3%

Appears a light toasted malt hue of amber caramel tones, head is slightly off white forms thick after a heavy pour large bubbles fizzy pour going on. Aroma has a faint sweetness with a touch of cascade hops going on mild citrus flow going on. Flavor actually isn't too bad a touch of candy caramel sweetness some rock candi sugar like notes as well but never cloying. Really plays well without any grains actual hop flavor I'm impressed not as bad as I was expecting and more affordable than the Green's line up. If I had celiac this beer would definitely do the trick if nothing else was a possibility on it's own I would drink this over Bud any day. Mouthfeel is light to medium in body definitely has a sturdy level of carbonation but it's not over done this is a well engineered beer. Drinkability overall, let me reiterate not bad enjoyable definitely better than a Budweiser, go for it.

3.12/5  rDev +20.5%

Notes are, as usual, both recent and thorough.

The color is close to bronze, a dark red-brown, but with a good deal of clarity to it. An off-white head is soft and thin but retention is a little better than I expect. There's very little lacing to speak of dropped by the thin foam that remains of the head.
There's an interesting aroma to this one for sure. Light caramel sweetness with a butterscotch edge mixes with some dark fruits and something almost like candi sugars. There's also a peppery bite and lingering grains. Hops add (perhaps along with the spiciness) some floral notes to balance a touch.
A light sugary sweetness comes up front but mixes with a metallic note. A mild floral hops note is present with peppery and grassy notes. Sweetness comes out in full effect, though, in an odd way.
The body is a little light and thin, and doesn't seem to have much support. There's not a touch of dryness to the feel of it, of course. Carbonation is moderate.
This is interesting. It's not a bad alternative if you can't drink beer, but it's not something I'd pick up.

3.82/5  rDev +47.5%

Picked this up out of curiosity about what sorghum beer might taste like. Didn't even think of the fact it might have been made for people for celiac disease until I saw people mention it here. Good to know they can have a beer too.

And, to be honest, it's not a half bad one. Smells a bit weird, sorta like someone brewed beer from a bowl of raisin bran, with quite a few more hops than I ever expected AB to put in a beer.

I actually rather like this stuff. Might give it another try later.

2.97/5  rDev +14.7%

Redbridge

Appearance- Light copper orange with a moderate fizzy head. No lacing.
Smell- Sweet malt and a fruity pear-like aroma.
Taste- Sweet malt with a dry pear cider twang.
Mouthfeel- Sweet up front but a mild dry flavorful finish.

Overall- For celiac sufferers this would be a decent choice. Sorta bland and weak for those of us who don't suffer.

2.91/5  rDev +12.4%

The small head dies pretty quickly, although never totally disappearing. Color is a reddish-gold with good clarity.

Aroma is doughy with a light sweetness. Subtle, but almost too subtle...a really faint aroma.

Flavor is bready and sweet, and it's a peculiar sweetness too. Some caramel in the back, and only light hop presence. Flavor seems to have some holes in it, it's never fully "there". Finish is bitter/sour, rather candylike, and this is the most interesting aspect of this beer.

If you've got a gluten allergy, this would certainly do. But it's not exceptional, and there's little fullness to the flavors and no real depth. Drinkable for sure, not a drain pour, but not much happening otherwise.

3.36/5  rDev +29.7%

Pours a light clear amber. Smells sweet and yeasty. Taste is sweet and mildly bitter. Mouthfeel is light and moderately carbonated.

Overall, this is not a good beer. It's better than most Anheuser-Busch products and it's much better than most gluten free beers. Having no allergies, it's not one I want to try again.

3.33/5  rDev +28.6%

Commendations to Anheuser-Busch for supporting the growing number of people with gluten (wheat or barley) allergies. However, don't let that dissuade you from trying this one, as it stands on its own merits. Pouring a nice red-amber with average lacing, this sorghum-based beer has a sweet molasses nose, and a rich and malty flavor. The hops content seems subdued, pushing this one towards an overbearing sweetness rather than a well-balanced mix. Still, an easy-to-drink beer, and certainly steps above mainstream American lagers.

3.2/5  rDev +23.6%

I pulled a Redbridge from my fridge not knowing what it was. I poured it and was pleased with the appearance. Nice frothy white head... clear deep amber with golden highlights. I raised it to take a sip and noticed hops in the nose. Crisp... slightly elevated fine-bubbled carbonation. The flavor was a little odd, sweetish and kind of off-kilter, so I looked at the label... "Beer Made From Sorghum". Ahhh! That explains it then. OK. Hmmm. Not bad! My last Celiac beer, if I can call it that, was unimpressive, but this was good. There's a strong hop flavor upfront, grassy and spicy, that screams "BEER"! Beyond that it's malty; although I'm not sure if Sorghum is malted. I'd guess it is. It's the seed of a grass, just like barley. It's graininess is a touch rough and cardboard-ish (but not from oxidation), and it becomes sweet at the swallow. Unfortunately, it then becomes a bit astringent and harsh, lingering like that with bitterness and dully grassy and spicy hops for quite a bit. Still, I'd prefer this to almost all of the other Celiac beers I've had. For people with Celiac's disease, I'd highly recommend trying this one.

2.5/5  rDev -3.5%

Got this in at the shop a couple of weeks ago and I figured that, in the interest of customer service, I needed to try it. Pours a deep golden color topped by a finger of creamy off-white head that is pretty quick to vanish. Very still, almost no carbonation in the body. Aroma is a bit sweet - I guess that's what sorghum smells like. Palate is mildly sweet up front, then develops a dry, rather harsh bitterness that doesn't seem to come from any hops. Mouthfeel is a little dry and chalky, kind of odd.
I suppose if misfortune were to befall me and I were unable to drink beer brewed with malt, this would be an acceptable approximation. More likely, though, I'd stick with whisky.

2.58/5  rDev -0.4%

Redbridge pours a light caramel color with a transparent body and an interesting nose that combines caramel and light molasses. There is virtually no head of foam on this beer and the small amount present disappears in less than one minute. The flavors I notice are that of light fruit, mostly apple; sugar, caramel; light cider; light hops; and light grain/bread. I'm not really a big fan of this, but I believe it was my first gluten free beer.

1.47/5  rDev -43.2%

12oz bottle poured into a pint glass. Pours a clear copper color with an off-white head. Obviously since the beer is made without malt and wheat, it has a unique aroma. It is really is hard to describe but there is no familiar malt smells, just a sweet and slightly chalky aroma (that is the best I can describe it). The taste much like the aroma is pretty faint and lacking the malty characteristics that I love in beer. There really is not much flavor to pick up on, and the little bit of flavor that peaks through is not very good at all. Overall, I am not a big fan of this brew. I know and understand that this is a gluten-free "beer", but I am having a hard time justifying to myself that this is a beer. Thank goodness I do not have gluten issues. Not recommended.

3.29/5  rDev +27%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.25

Needs more oomph -- goes down smooth -- gluten-free is an advantage, but the taste fizzles out and leaves you wondering what happened. I enjoy a bottle once in a while but there's no story to it.. All in all it DEFINITELY tastes better than what goes under the bridge.

3.18/5  rDev +22.8%

Had a bottle from a mixed case recently. In the world of gluten-free beers, Redbridge is certainly blander than the rest, but it's also the most drinkable. I often find there's a cloying sweetness in a lot of the celiac beers, but this simply resembles a light amber ale. I guess considering the source and style, this isn't a half bad beer.

2.46/5  rDev -5%

Don't know why I'm drinking this. Poured into a pint glass. Pours a golden clear color. Almost honey. Ring of head. No lacing.

Aroma is weird. Has a funkiness to it. Don't know how to describe it. Weird maltiness.

Taste is the same. Has a tartness in the finish. And the flavors are weird. Don't know how to describe them.

Mouthfeel is light and nice carb.

Overall a weird beer. It's not like it's a drain pour just weird. Will probably never drink this one again.

1.91/5  rDev -26.3%

12oz bottle thanks to Arbitrator...I guess. Arbitrator described this as a "rare Portland tick." As Phil Collins would said, that was ALL A PACK OF LIES! This beer is not rare or from Portland, although it was indeed a tick. I was expecting DAVE and got this! Talk about your all-time disappointments.

Clear amber pour with a small off-white head that fades.

Old, sherry-like malty aroma. Slightly medicinal.

Big sherry flavor with a little caramel and a weird plasticky note. Not good.

Medium-light bodied with low carbonation level.

Not very good, and it certainly isn't Hair of the Dog Dave, dammit.

2.55/5  rDev -1.5%

My 1st industrial sorgrum beer, here goes (expectations are low)

Pours an effervescent bronze with 1 finger+ of eggshell white head. Above average lacing & a little bit of head retention

S: Very corny & slight perfumy notes

T: Honey notes along with some astrigency right up front. I also get a little orange hop note. I also pick up some clover honey& just a touch of molasess notes as this warms along with grainyness. Finishes dry, very grainy, grassy with more honey or maybe corn syrup is more accurate?

MF: Light & sprtizy. I also get a slight syruppy feel, starts to leave an unpleasant sensation on the roof of my mouth

The warmer this got, the harder it was to drink. This beer is a terrible amber, might've passed better as an American Macro. This beer makes me very glad I have no gluten issues!

3.42/5  rDev +32%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Redbridge from Anheuser-Busch is a gluten free brew. It pours a dark amber color. Little to no head but it is a white head. The smell is ok nothing special but good. The taste is smooth and it goes down well. There is no bad aftertaste at all. Overall, this was a good brew to drink if you want to try something different. I really enjoyed this brew.

3.33/5  rDev +28.6%

Poured a nice amber color with a bit of a light off white head, very little retention or lacing.

The smell had a dry bread malty quality to it, not bad, but a bit on the weak side.

Almost English ESB like in flavor with a light mineral taste and a bit fruity notes with just a touch of buttery diacyte coming through as well, just a hint of sourdough bread and a light bit of spicy hops. Very balanced.

The mouthfeel is watery and a bit slick.

Overall its much better than I had anticipated, a little to thin to be good, but not bad.

2.5/5  rDev -3.5%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Smells and tastes a lot like bud. The yeast strain comes through along with the different malt flavor of sorghum and corn. It's not bad for an american adjunct lager made out of pure adjunct.

A) clear darker then most lagers

S) lager yeast and corn

T) average and palatable I imagine this to be the beer in 1984

M) thin

O) I would drink this again though it's boring

3.23/5  rDev +24.7%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

I have been struggling with a wheat allergy and consequently though I am not allergic to rye and barley per se, I definately feel better when I don't consume them. Having said all of this I tried a Redbridge red lager gluten free beer last night. I was surprised how much I liked it. I am generally not a big AB fan though I recently tried the Great American Ale and liked that as well. They have done a first rate job here. Though I would never confuse this for a craft brewed specialty beer or ale it tastes surprisingly good. The taste falls between a pale ale and a classic lager flavor, malty, mildly citrusy with caramel notes as well as a mid range hoppy finish. I would recommend anyone who finds they have gluten/wheat issues to give Redbridge a try!

2.83/5  rDev +9.3%

Trying one of Bud's disguised beers and gluenten free no less. 12oz bottle poured into a nonic pint glass, no freshness date.

A: Not completly terrible looking considering where this beer comes from. It pours a clear dark ambery brown with an off white two inch head that bubbles down after a bit into a ring. Minimal lacing.

S: Bread crusty with a bit of grassy and tiny fruit undertone. Sort of bland but not terrible especially considering there is no wheat gluten in this beer.

T/MF: Has a weird hoppy tinge but it tastes rather forced, as if it shouldnt be there. A bit bitter and bubbly on the tonge with a metalic finish. A bit of crunchy bready flavors which is weird considering there is no glueten in it, more grassy than anything though which makes sense with the sorguhm (however you spell that).

D: All I have to say is I am glad I'm not allergic to wheat gluten. But not a terrible offering from Bud, better tasting than the flagships but this is not one I would want to pay for again.

2.13/5  rDev -17.8%

Pours out to a thin bubbly white head and amber color. No real head retention to speak of. Aroma is berry, apple and a hint of A-B banana and hop-skunk. Flavor is wine-like, reminds me of sherry or muscadine but is is very faint with some rubbery, skunky hops in the finish. Nothing resembling malt or cereal grain is in this brew. Mouthfeel for a low-point beer is average. Overall, this is a different taste sensation more like a watered down melomel or a cider and not much like beer, unless you count bad beer.

2.81/5  rDev +8.5%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

A good gluten-free beer. A little tastier and more full-bodied than Bud Light.

to view more.