Redbridge - Anheuser-Busch

Anheuser-Busch visit their website
Missouri, United States

American Amber / Red Lager |  4.00% ABV

Beer added by: BeerBeing on 12-10-2006

Rich, hearty and full-bodied gluten-free lager brewed from sorghum. Redbridge has a distinctively fruity hop aroma, a sweet toasted grain flavor and a well-balanced, moderately
hopped finish.
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Redbridge Alström Bros
4.03/5  rDev +42.9%

Having been just diagnosed with Celiac disease, I was very sad at the thought of never drinking beer again. I never would have thought that Anheuser-Busch would make enjoying beer again a posibillity.

I poured it into a pint glass, and was very surprised to see a good rusty brown-red colour. It doesn't look very thick; pouring more like a thin pilsner, but forms a wonderful head nonetheless. Probably the best poor of any bud product I've ever seen.

Smell was not too bad at all. There was hopps, alcohol, and the interesting smell of sorghum.

Taste: thin. Not a bad thing though. One expects a "beer" flavour and that is what one gets. The sorghum adds an interesting flavour, kind of like getting lime when expecting lemon, but it's close enough that I won't complain (it was my first beer in 5 months).

The aftertaste was very nice. The hopps come through most here.

Overall I was happy. At just over $8.50 at my local beer shop, it's a steal when compaired with other gluten-free beers. Expensive for bud, but not for a good micro. I think I'll pretend it's just that.

Bravo (1,102 characters)

4.01/5  rDev +42.2%

This is unlike any beer I have ever tasted, probably because it is brewed with sorghum. It is not radically different from other beers, but it is still distinctive. Redbridge neither looks nor tastes like a product of one of the "big boys," so I was surprised to learn that Anheuser-Busch brews it.

The dark amber color is very inviting, and the unique taste has fruity undertones. It has a good bite without being bitter and feels lively on your tongue. I am glad to know that people who must avoid regular beer due to allergies or other medical issues can drink at least one more-than-adequate brewski! (607 characters)

I've read about this beer and decided that I wanted to try it. Pours a light amber color with a thin head. Aroma is sweet and fruity with some hop essence showing through. Taste is very sweet, fruity and smooth. Hops show well with this type of beer for some reason. There's almost a bubble gum/fruit taste that dominates though.

I wouldn't classify it as a traditional American Amber Ale though. It's made with Sorghum and should be classified separately, similar to how wheat beers are classified. Very drinkable though and if I had Celiac disease, I would probably drink this beer. It's different but it doesn't make me want to pour it down a drain so that's a good thing. (677 characters)

3.82/5  rDev +35.5%

Picked this up out of curiosity about what sorghum beer might taste like. Didn't even think of the fact it might have been made for people for celiac disease until I saw people mention it here. Good to know they can have a beer too.

And, to be honest, it's not a half bad one. Smells a bit weird, sorta like someone brewed beer from a bowl of raisin bran, with quite a few more hops than I ever expected AB to put in a beer.

I actually rather like this stuff. Might give it another try later. (499 characters)

3.8/5  rDev +34.8%

Pours light copper with a modest white head that leaves globs of lacing.

Aroma is caramel malt and tropical fruit.

Taste is toasty, peaty caramel malt. Hints of toffee. Nutty, and woody, with mild earthy hop. Finish is sweet, with lingering dark fruit notes.

Mouthfeel is medium bodied.

A decent and flavorful Amber. Worth a try. (333 characters)

3.8/5  rDev +34.8%

Celiac disease sucks. You won't realize how much you miss real beers until you can't have them any more. Amazingly redbridge is a better substitute for people on a restricted diet than you would think could come from AB.

By beer lover standards it is nothing amazing and would struggle to get a grade a ok. For the beer lover that can't have beer anymore...you could do a lot worse. Its far from the two hearted ale that I miss but its so great to actually taste some hops again.

Some of the other gluten free beers by smaller brewers are alright too but redbridge competes with them surprisingly well and can even best them.

Now for the bad news. I believe I have had a reaction to redbridge multiple times. I don't know if there is contamination, shared facilities, shared grain storage, or if its all in my head but redbridge means a gluten reaction for me and I won't drink it. Give it a shot but use caution. (919 characters)

3.72/5  rDev +31.9%

Pale amber in color, thin wispy foam which has decent retention. Very clear with plenty of carbonation. The aroma has a nice balance of sweet caramel malt and a decent leafy hoppiness, clean and inviting.

The taste is not overwhelming, just a simple dose of toasty malt and clean hops leaving a slight bitterness to round thngs out. Light body but definitely not thin or watery.

I certainly had low expections for this beer, so it suprised me when I actually thought it wasn't bad. There is enough flavor here to keep it interesting and everything is well balanced. If you were curious to try a gluten-free beer this one is readily available and not bad at all... (671 characters)

3.71/5  rDev +31.6%

A: Apart from a lacking head (its a little old, so I'll forgive) this beer looks pretty good. Nice active carbonation, clear body, and a nice amber-golden coloring.

S: Smells...not amazing. A little grainy breadiness, a little hops, maybe, but not much. There is something maybe a little solventy, perhaps a yeast byproduct or maybe the sorghum. Either way, not something I'm liking. It's a little sweet actually, sort of anti-freeze like.

T: The taste is really not that bad. A little sweet, but the sorghum gives off a corn like taste. This seriously reminds me of sweet corn. Though, no, now I'm getting that solvent yucky taste. Not terrible, but not great. I would give this beer another shot.

M: Your typical mass produced amber lager body...not enough.

D: Deffinately drinkable and I will recommend this to people with gluten problems. (846 characters)

3.68/5  rDev +30.5%

Wow... A-B really actually took time to come up with this one. Pours a cloudy brown, with red hints. Has a good thick white head and maintains a ring around the outside through every pull on the beer. Lacks any lacing though, which is disappointing. Has a sweet, malty scent. Nice fruit flavor, with slight hop bite and something else in the ending. Could be Sorghum. I am incredibly impressed. Much better than that Red Hook crap A-B tries to sell as real beer. (462 characters)

3.63/5  rDev +28.7%

Ok, wanted to try a Gluten free beer, which this mainly is, compare to a red amber.

Pours a nice clear amber into the Saison Dupoint glass, tan head froths up, but dies quickly - not unexpected with the lack of grain sugars.

Aroma is unique without the malty grain - more of a woody molasses. Same with the quaff - the flavor is one-of-a-kind in here, a sweetish wood, maybe oak. Not something I would want to drink on a standard basis, but...

Not having tried the gluten free beer style before, if unable to drink "regular" styles, I could find these refreshing on a hot summer day. Maybe even a cold winter nite. (617 characters)

3.6/5  rDev +27.7%

The aroma is light and mildly sweet with a faint perfumed soap aroma. Those good soaps that are just for show mind you, not the ones you wash your butt with. It actually smells of in a non-beer kind of way. The body is a light amber/copper color with a diminishing white head that starts a thumb thick, fades, but then holds. As pale lagers go it looks pretty inviting.

That perfumey sweetness is there in the fore. It tastes a little like patchouli and potpourri mix. Yes, I have tasted both. It finishes with a sort of apple and flower finish. Has a moderately biting carbonation and detectable hops. This is not a bad beer at all. I actually think this puppy would sell well if marketed as a ladies (or guys) who hate beer. That being said....it’s good for what it is. My raped taste buds are screaming for more. (820 characters)

3.6/5  rDev +27.7%

The pour was a nice copper/red with a two finger head that quickly dissapated to a thin white ribbon on top of the beer.

The smell was heavy in hop spice with a slight sweetness in the back of the nose.

The drink started with a sweet caramel like kick with a thin wattery middle and a slight non-lingering hop kick at the end.

Quite drinkable and refreshing. Went really well with a nice steak and shrimp dinner. (416 characters)

3.6/5  rDev +27.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Poured a clear orange with a respectable head that faded to a patchy skin. The aroma was mildly malt. The taste was citrus, more lemon that grapefruit, with a carbonated malty after taste. The feel was light to medium bodied with good carbonation. Drinkability was good.

I had bought this by mistake and when I noticed the "Gluten Free" and realized who the brewer was, I thought Oh oh. Redbridge was surprisingly good though. Better than a lot of other craft/import lagers (red or otherwise). Don't get me wrong, this is not my new go to beer, but I find it very respectable. (578 characters)

3.6/5  rDev +27.7%

I poured this beer from the bottle to a 50 degree tumbler. The beer was a gold organge color. It had lots of bubbles stuck to the glass and a frothy head that decayed rather fast. Taste was a little sweet but not too bad. We thought the beer was very drinkable. I will buy again. (279 characters)

3.58/5  rDev +27%

Light orange color with good initial carbonation and lacing.

Faint sweetness on the nose, maybe a little flowery. There seems to be something else in the background, but I have no idea what this is...possibly the sorghum? Interesting as a mystery and certainly not unpleasant, but not something that begs more discussion.

Flavor is a little on the sweet side, but it's really not bad given the unique list of ingredients. Decent body with a solid backbone and a little snappiness if maybe a little sour finish.

I have people close to me with gluten issues who can't drink beer, and I'd be more than happy to have this on hand for them and to share a glass or two as well. It's a well made and interesting beer, and I might even go as far as saying that it's one of A-B's better productions. Hopefully it gets enough market share to be a constant option for those who can't have barley and wheat based beers. (917 characters)

3.58/5  rDev +27%

A. Pours out to an amber body with a thick white head that has decent lacing and very good retention, and moderate carbonation.
S. Has a sweet aroma that consists of caramel,vanilla, some spices and a nice sweet grain smell.
T. The taste consists of a caramel taste followed by a hint of hops and spices and finishes with a grain/bread taste.
M/O. The mouthfeel is a crisp smooth clean feel that finishes off dry. While not a great beer, it is not too bad and I would tell anyone who can't have wheat or barley in their diet to give this beer a try and decide from there if it is worth a second buy. (600 characters)

3.56/5  rDev +26.2%

Purchased at Papago Brewing in Scottsdale, I wanted to try the gluten-free offering despite a usual aversion towards Anheuser products. Pours a good shade for an Amber ale, very clear, moderate carbonation, with minimal head that dissipates quickly. The aroma is sweet and candy like, I can't be as specific as I want here, there's something particular its reminding me of. Other than that, it seems minimal, and could be bolder (I think that about lots of amber ales though).

Taste is a little odd, but doesn't seem like there's something missing. There's definitely that candy sweetness, not exactly like a Belgian candi sugar, but there's something there. A little woody taste. I think I'm getting some grassy hop flavor, but I'd like a little more from the hops.

Mouthfeel is fine, a little dry. Drinkability is good, even for an amber ale, I could drink a few of these. Sorghum or not, its one of A-B's better beers. (923 characters)

3.55/5  rDev +25.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

a: clear amber-orange color with about a halfinch of head that dissapeared fast and left a good amount of lacing
s: kind of a sweet malty beer with deffinate tones of earthyness
t: like the aroma, sweet with some deffinate earthy hop notes
m: medium bodied and very smooth, little carbonation

overall this is the first gluten free beer that ive had that i know about, and it isnt too bad (393 characters)

3.55/5  rDev +25.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

I only paid $7.95 for a six-pack of this at my local North Coast Coop here in Eureka, CA. IF you need gluten-free beer this seems like a good price for something so specialized. It poured a clear amber with a nice white head that left almost no lacing. Nose of malts and hops. Mouthfeel is somewhat rich and finish is dry. For an AB product this is actually pretty decent. (372 characters)

3.53/5  rDev +25.2%

Im sampling a cellar temp bottle poured into a pint glass. The beer pours a bright clear copper hue with fizzy and frothy eggshell white head of 2 cm foaming up easily and fading to a pockmarked surface layer.

The aroma is dominated by floral hops, but allows for some general sweetness to poke through.

The first sip reveals a thin body with fine and fizzy carbonation.

Flavor is some sweet toffee flavors up front that roll to light fruitiness and finishes with some crisp grassy hops that linger with a fairly assertive bitterness.

The beer is very easy to drink and is interesting enough. The low ABV and crisp finish make it a nice beer for the summer.

I'd have to say this is a pretty decent beer, I wouldnt go out of the way for it, but would drink again for sure. (790 characters)

look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

This makes a nice clear amber pour with a moderate head of foamy froth, accompanied by decent lacing. Sweet, grainy aroma with a light touch of hops. Moderately sweet grainy taste as well, with a decent amount of bitterness. There is an odd aftertaste, which I guess might be the sorghum. It isn't unpleasant... just odd. Medium body with a neutral texture.

Not that bad a beer. It'd easily pass as a generic red/amber beer at many microbreweries. For people with celiac syndrome, an easily available, nationwide brew must be a great thing. (543 characters)

look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A - Pours with a towering, three finger head of dense, white foam. The body is a clear, light copper color and the head settles slowly, leaving spotty lace on the glass.

S - A light, malty aroma with some spicy hops in the background.

T - Some lightly sweet, toasty malt up front with spicy hops. More hop character in the middle with more toasted grain character. The beer finishes very clean with just a hint of dry toast and some more spicy hop flavor.

M - Medium body, moderate carbonation, and a fairly dry finish.

D - Very, surprisingly good! This has a mild malt character, but this is really pretty impressive for a gluten free beer. More than that, there is a well balanced, mild but readily apparent spicy hop character that goes a long way towards adding depth to a relatively light beer. In the final analysis, this is an unusually good gluten free beer and it may actually be the most enjoyable AB product that I have tasted. (942 characters)

3.51/5  rDev +24.5%

Almost no head, deep gold clear sparkling body. Very little lacing. Nothing outstanding about the taste, almost like a light lager with a little more hops in the finish. Mouthfeel is light, watery, fizzy. Not bad, an alternative to the everyday American lagers, but I wouldn't go out of my way to get it. (304 characters)

3.48/5  rDev +23.4%

Presentation: 12 oz longneck bottle, embossed with the AB crest on the shoulder. "Beer made from sorghum - made without wheat or barley." No readable freshness date - disappointing from the people pushing born on dating.

Appearance: Clear amber color, thinnish head, decent retention and just a bit of lacing.

Smell: Aroma is a bit off from what I would expect - closer to adjunts than that of a normal beer. I assume this is from the sorghum?

Taste: Interesting - a slightly different sweetness than I would normally expect. Not quite the normal malty flavor, but there is some grainy flavors here. A bit of hops in the finish.

Overall impression: This is a fairly solid beer, even when not considering its intent. It is a decent vienna style lager - drinkable and fairly balanced. When you consider this is aimed at the gluten free market, this is an even better beer. My wife is celiac, so I'm always on the lookout for gluten free beers - so far this is definitely one of the frontrunners. (1,005 characters)

3.47/5  rDev +23%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

My wife was diagnosed with gluten intolerance in 2001. She had been a beer drinker and was told beer was on the banned list. Using internet sources, I set out to make her gluten free beer. It was a real effort. Nobody sold malted sorghum or buckwheat, so the the entire process took weeks, and the results were mixed. Perhaps this effort predisposed me to liking a well-made GF beer. A gluten free beer from a brewery with the money to do it right was an exciting prospect. At the same time, I picked up some Redbridge and some Bard's Tale, another GF beer. In a blind tasting, my wife and I both preferred Redbridge by a wide margin. It had no funky smell or taste that is common with GF beers. Most occasional beer drinkers would probably not recognize it as anything but beer. It has a slightly darker color than Budweiser and enough hops to make things interesting. When compared against American Macros, the taste is actually a refreshing change. Not surprisingly, AB had the foresight to market this beer as a "Beer Made from Sorghum," rather than a "Gluten Free Beer." By doing so, AB will almost certainly pick up some market share from drinkers who don't have celiac disease but just like the taste. This is a good development for celiacs everywhere but bad news for the small guys who have been laboring for years to come up with a commercial GF beer. (1,361 characters)

Redbridge from Anheuser-Busch