Redbridge - Anheuser-Busch

poor

Anheuser-Busch visit their website
Missouri, United States

American Amber / Red Lager |  4.00% ABV

Rich, hearty and full-bodied gluten-free lager brewed from sorghum. Redbridge has a distinctively fruity hop aroma, a sweet toasted grain flavor and a well-balanced, moderately
hopped finish.

(Beer added by: BeerBeing on 12-10-2006)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Redbridge Alström Bros
4.08/5  rDev +56.3%

This is unlike any beer I have ever tasted, probably because it is brewed with sorghum. It is not radically different from other beers, but it is still distinctive. Redbridge neither looks nor tastes like a product of one of the "big boys," so I was surprised to learn that Anheuser-Busch brews it.

The dark amber color is very inviting, and the unique taste has fruity undertones. It has a good bite without being bitter and feels lively on your tongue. I am glad to know that people who must avoid regular beer due to allergies or other medical issues can drink at least one more-than-adequate brewski!

Cyberkedi, Jan 30, 2007
4.03/5  rDev +54.4%

Having been just diagnosed with Celiac disease, I was very sad at the thought of never drinking beer again. I never would have thought that Anheuser-Busch would make enjoying beer again a posibillity.

I poured it into a pint glass, and was very surprised to see a good rusty brown-red colour. It doesn't look very thick; pouring more like a thin pilsner, but forms a wonderful head nonetheless. Probably the best poor of any bud product I've ever seen.

Smell was not too bad at all. There was hopps, alcohol, and the interesting smell of sorghum.

Taste: thin. Not a bad thing though. One expects a "beer" flavour and that is what one gets. The sorghum adds an interesting flavour, kind of like getting lime when expecting lemon, but it's close enough that I won't complain (it was my first beer in 5 months).

The aftertaste was very nice. The hopps come through most here.

Overall I was happy. At just over $8.50 at my local beer shop, it's a steal when compaired with other gluten-free beers. Expensive for bud, but not for a good micro. I think I'll pretend it's just that.

Bravo

nephlim, Jan 29, 2007

PaBeerLover, Dec 09, 2011

wschock, Dec 24, 2013

I've read about this beer and decided that I wanted to try it. Pours a light amber color with a thin head. Aroma is sweet and fruity with some hop essence showing through. Taste is very sweet, fruity and smooth. Hops show well with this type of beer for some reason. There's almost a bubble gum/fruit taste that dominates though.

I wouldn't classify it as a traditional American Amber Ale though. It's made with Sorghum and should be classified separately, similar to how wheat beers are classified. Very drinkable though and if I had Celiac disease, I would probably drink this beer. It's different but it doesn't make me want to pour it down a drain so that's a good thing.

Brad007, Nov 27, 2007

Dapperticus, Jul 05, 2012

PoppyParthenonE, Mar 09, 2014
3.83/5  rDev +46.7%

Picked this up out of curiosity about what sorghum beer might taste like. Didn't even think of the fact it might have been made for people for celiac disease until I saw people mention it here. Good to know they can have a beer too.

And, to be honest, it's not a half bad one. Smells a bit weird, sorta like someone brewed beer from a bowl of raisin bran, with quite a few more hops than I ever expected AB to put in a beer.

I actually rather like this stuff. Might give it another try later.

SetarconeX, Feb 26, 2007
3.83/5  rDev +46.7%

Pours light copper with a modest white head that leaves globs of lacing.

Aroma is caramel malt and tropical fruit.

Taste is toasty, peaty caramel malt. Hints of toffee. Nutty, and woody, with mild earthy hop. Finish is sweet, with lingering dark fruit notes.

Mouthfeel is medium bodied.

A decent and flavorful Amber. Worth a try.

Blakaeris, Nov 03, 2009
3.83/5  rDev +46.7%

Celiac disease sucks. You won't realize how much you miss real beers until you can't have them any more. Amazingly redbridge is a better substitute for people on a restricted diet than you would think could come from AB.

By beer lover standards it is nothing amazing and would struggle to get a grade a ok. For the beer lover that can't have beer anymore...you could do a lot worse. Its far from the two hearted ale that I miss but its so great to actually taste some hops again.

Some of the other gluten free beers by smaller brewers are alright too but redbridge competes with them surprisingly well and can even best them.

Now for the bad news. I believe I have had a reaction to redbridge multiple times. I don't know if there is contamination, shared facilities, shared grain storage, or if its all in my head but redbridge means a gluten reaction for me and I won't drink it. Give it a shot but use caution.

Soybomb, Oct 28, 2008

czernobog, Jul 14, 2012

patre_tim, Mar 11, 2013
3.75/5  rDev +43.7%

A: Apart from a lacking head (its a little old, so I'll forgive) this beer looks pretty good. Nice active carbonation, clear body, and a nice amber-golden coloring.

S: Smells...not amazing. A little grainy breadiness, a little hops, maybe, but not much. There is something maybe a little solventy, perhaps a yeast byproduct or maybe the sorghum. Either way, not something I'm liking. It's a little sweet actually, sort of anti-freeze like.

T: The taste is really not that bad. A little sweet, but the sorghum gives off a corn like taste. This seriously reminds me of sweet corn. Though, no, now I'm getting that solvent yucky taste. Not terrible, but not great. I would give this beer another shot.

M: Your typical mass produced amber lager body...not enough.

D: Deffinately drinkable and I will recommend this to people with gluten problems.

mdwalsh, Sep 02, 2010

Nyskizy, Mar 24, 2013
3.7/5  rDev +41.8%

Pale amber in color, thin wispy foam which has decent retention. Very clear with plenty of carbonation. The aroma has a nice balance of sweet caramel malt and a decent leafy hoppiness, clean and inviting.

The taste is not overwhelming, just a simple dose of toasty malt and clean hops leaving a slight bitterness to round thngs out. Light body but definitely not thin or watery.

I certainly had low expections for this beer, so it suprised me when I actually thought it wasn't bad. There is enough flavor here to keep it interesting and everything is well balanced. If you were curious to try a gluten-free beer this one is readily available and not bad at all...

bennetj17, Mar 22, 2007
3.68/5  rDev +41%

Peanutbutterthumb, Sep 29, 2014
3.68/5  rDev +41%

Wow... A-B really actually took time to come up with this one. Pours a cloudy brown, with red hints. Has a good thick white head and maintains a ring around the outside through every pull on the beer. Lacks any lacing though, which is disappointing. Has a sweet, malty scent. Nice fruit flavor, with slight hop bite and something else in the ending. Could be Sorghum. I am incredibly impressed. Much better than that Red Hook crap A-B tries to sell as real beer.

mattd017, Jan 31, 2007
3.65/5  rDev +39.8%

I poured this beer from the bottle to a 50 degree tumbler. The beer was a gold organge color. It had lots of bubbles stuck to the glass and a frothy head that decayed rather fast. Taste was a little sweet but not too bad. We thought the beer was very drinkable. I will buy again.

Minkybut, May 07, 2007
3.63/5  rDev +39.1%

Ok, wanted to try a Gluten free beer, which this mainly is, compare to a red amber.

Pours a nice clear amber into the Saison Dupoint glass, tan head froths up, but dies quickly - not unexpected with the lack of grain sugars.

Aroma is unique without the malty grain - more of a woody molasses. Same with the quaff - the flavor is one-of-a-kind in here, a sweetish wood, maybe oak. Not something I would want to drink on a standard basis, but...

Not having tried the gluten free beer style before, if unable to drink "regular" styles, I could find these refreshing on a hot summer day. Maybe even a cold winter nite.

Vancer, Jan 28, 2010
3.6/5  rDev +37.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Poured a clear orange with a respectable head that faded to a patchy skin. The aroma was mildly malt. The taste was citrus, more lemon that grapefruit, with a carbonated malty after taste. The feel was light to medium bodied with good carbonation. Drinkability was good.

I had bought this by mistake and when I noticed the "Gluten Free" and realized who the brewer was, I thought Oh oh. Redbridge was surprisingly good though. Better than a lot of other craft/import lagers (red or otherwise). Don't get me wrong, this is not my new go to beer, but I find it very respectable.

kegger22, Nov 14, 2009
3.58/5  rDev +37.2%

The aroma is light and mildly sweet with a faint perfumed soap aroma. Those good soaps that are just for show mind you, not the ones you wash your butt with. It actually smells of in a non-beer kind of way. The body is a light amber/copper color with a diminishing white head that starts a thumb thick, fades, but then holds. As pale lagers go it looks pretty inviting.

That perfumey sweetness is there in the fore. It tastes a little like patchouli and potpourri mix. Yes, I have tasted both. It finishes with a sort of apple and flower finish. Has a moderately biting carbonation and detectable hops. This is not a bad beer at all. I actually think this puppy would sell well if marketed as a ladies (or guys) who hate beer. That being said....it’s good for what it is. My raped taste buds are screaming for more.

Jredner, Feb 07, 2007
3.58/5  rDev +37.2%

Light orange color with good initial carbonation and lacing.

Faint sweetness on the nose, maybe a little flowery. There seems to be something else in the background, but I have no idea what this is...possibly the sorghum? Interesting as a mystery and certainly not unpleasant, but not something that begs more discussion.

Flavor is a little on the sweet side, but it's really not bad given the unique list of ingredients. Decent body with a solid backbone and a little snappiness if maybe a little sour finish.

I have people close to me with gluten issues who can't drink beer, and I'd be more than happy to have this on hand for them and to share a glass or two as well. It's a well made and interesting beer, and I might even go as far as saying that it's one of A-B's better productions. Hopefully it gets enough market share to be a constant option for those who can't have barley and wheat based beers.

longarm, May 08, 2007
3.58/5  rDev +37.2%

A. Pours out to an amber body with a thick white head that has decent lacing and very good retention, and moderate carbonation.
S. Has a sweet aroma that consists of caramel,vanilla, some spices and a nice sweet grain smell.
T. The taste consists of a caramel taste followed by a hint of hops and spices and finishes with a grain/bread taste.
M/O. The mouthfeel is a crisp smooth clean feel that finishes off dry. While not a great beer, it is not too bad and I would tell anyone who can't have wheat or barley in their diet to give this beer a try and decide from there if it is worth a second buy.

DannyDan, Jun 11, 2011
3.58/5  rDev +37.2%

Purchased at Papago Brewing in Scottsdale, I wanted to try the gluten-free offering despite a usual aversion towards Anheuser products. Pours a good shade for an Amber ale, very clear, moderate carbonation, with minimal head that dissipates quickly. The aroma is sweet and candy like, I can't be as specific as I want here, there's something particular its reminding me of. Other than that, it seems minimal, and could be bolder (I think that about lots of amber ales though).

Taste is a little odd, but doesn't seem like there's something missing. There's definitely that candy sweetness, not exactly like a Belgian candi sugar, but there's something there. A little woody taste. I think I'm getting some grassy hop flavor, but I'd like a little more from the hops.

Mouthfeel is fine, a little dry. Drinkability is good, even for an amber ale, I could drink a few of these. Sorghum or not, its one of A-B's better beers.

Pooba001, Oct 18, 2007
3.55/5  rDev +36%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

a: clear amber-orange color with about a halfinch of head that dissapeared fast and left a good amount of lacing
s: kind of a sweet malty beer with deffinate tones of earthyness
t: like the aroma, sweet with some deffinate earthy hop notes
m: medium bodied and very smooth, little carbonation

overall this is the first gluten free beer that ive had that i know about, and it isnt too bad

happygnome, Aug 10, 2007