Redbridge - Anheuser-Busch

poor

Anheuser-Busch visit their website
Missouri, United States

American Amber / Red Lager |  4.00% ABV

Rich, hearty and full-bodied gluten-free lager brewed from sorghum. Redbridge has a distinctively fruity hop aroma, a sweet toasted grain flavor and a well-balanced, moderately
hopped finish.

(Beer added by: BeerBeing on 12-10-2006)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Redbridge Alström Bros
2.83/5  rDev +8%

Poured from 12oz bottle into shaker pint glass.

Appearance: Golden in color with a slight amber hue, with a smaller, thin-looking white head that dissipates quickly and doesn't leave much lace behind.

Smell: Citrus flavors dominate with a hint of flower.

Taste: Begins grassy with a slight lemon-like flavor, finishing with sweet/sour lemon flavors but a weak finish overall. Leaves a strange, herbal aftertaste.

Mouthfeel: Light body with sharp carbonation and a watery finish.

Drinkability: This beer isn't anything to write home about at all- this is the second gluten-free beer I've had and I'm really glad that my body has no problems with glutens. This beer isn't bad, but not really worth anything, either.

Mosstrooper, Aug 01, 2010
2.8/5  rDev +6.9%

12 oz. bottle, with no apparent bottled on date present. Acquired as part of a mixed six pack at the local Binny's. My third gluten-free beer, this one being an outing from Anheuser-Busch and gang. Expectations are moderately low, but I'm going in unbiased.

Poured into a clear balloon snifter.

A - Pours about a finger of dish-soapy off-white head that recedes to a ring quickly. Body is a brassy orange color with excellent clarity.

S - Smell is of virtually nothing. Slightly grainy, ricey, and papery, with a mild hint of citrus, and apple cider vinegar.

T - Taste follows the nose: a tart apple cider vinegar quality, some crisp citrus, green apple, coppery amber malt presence, lots of soggy cardboard / wet newspaper, and a mild earthy / lemongrass flavor from the sorghum. Taste is much better than the nose, but not quite as earthy / herbal / floral as I would have liked. Of course, based on the fact that this is Anheuser-Busch, this isn't surprising. Taste is still much better than I would have expected from these guys.

M - Feel is crisp and tart with a grainy / papery sort of aftertaste.

Overall, a fairly inoffensive offering for our gluten intolerant friends from the big boys at Anheuser-Busch. Definitely better than I would have expected coming from them. It was surprisingly drinkable, flavorful, and laid-back. Sessionable low 4.00% abv; I could definitely knock of few of these back on a hot summer's day.

Anheuser-Busch Redbridge ---3/5.

mfnmbvp, Sep 21, 2013
2.8/5  rDev +6.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

Poured from a 12oz. bottle into a US tumbler pint glass.

A: The beer is a light brown color, with a short off-white head that fades quickly and leaves a thick lace on the glass.

S: The aroma is of tea, citrus, caramelized malts and a touch of hops.

T: The taste starts out with semi-sweet flavors of tea, caramel, spices and some citrus. Then there's a bitter bite that doesn't seem to come from the mild hops presence and there doesn't seem to have the best balance either. The after-taste is slightly bitter.

M: Crisp but not very smooth, medium body, medium carbonation, finish is clean.

D: Not very tasty, goes down ok, not too filling, mild kick, decent representation of style, there are definitely several other organic beers that I would pick before this one.

TheManiacalOne, Oct 06, 2009
2.8/5  rDev +6.9%

One finger head of loose bubbles with streaky lace with some cling. Color is a 7 on the SRM chart. Smells of molasses, and clover. Taste is sweet molasses, with some bite from the hops. Very watery feeling in my mouth. I guess it is better than no beer at all and better than many I have tasted from this brewery.

beerprovedwright, Dec 04, 2010
2.8/5  rDev +6.9%

Appearance: light copper, good clarity, bubbly light-tan froth that compacts to a thin layer of spittle

Aroma: caramel, herbal hop scent, dill pickles

Flavor: semisweet backbone with a soapy/fruity overtone; slight tartness like an apple; finishes semi-dry with a lingering acidity

Mouthfeel: medium-light body, bubbly carbonation, soft texture

Other comments: This is not a bad beer for a non-malt brew, but there's a reason malt is used in beer: it makes it taste good! I wouldn't drink this beer unless I had to for medical reasons, though.

GreenCard, Nov 30, 2008
2.8/5  rDev +6.9%

Served in a Walter Payton shaker pint glass.

My second gluten-free beer, following the somewhat surprising New Grist. Let's do this: It pours a clear brass topped by a half-finger of short-lived off-white foam. The nose is faint, comprising wheat, light caramel, and grass (as far as I can tell). The taste is a combination of fruity sweetness (mostly orange, but with a bit of white grape and pineapple syrup) and spicy grain (like pepper- and cardamom-laced wheat). A fakely sweet (think candy-style sugary here) twang hangs over the finish. The body is a very light medium, with a fizzy carbonation and a fairly dry finish. Overall, I can't say I enjoyed this beer, but I didn't hate it, either. The smell is almost nonexistent, the flavor combination is sorta confusing, and the body is too light and fizzy to really be enjoyable. That said, not much is actually offensive about this beer. I just know I don't want another one any time soon...

TMoney2591, Oct 03, 2011

12 oz brown bottle.
Many codes printed on the bottle and label, but no clear feshness info, though I am reminded to "PLEASE RECYCLE."

a: A big frothy white head quickly gives way to a thin white layer of bubbles.
Clear copper color, average retention, no lacing.

s: Very mild smell of sweet malt with a hint of hops.

t: Light flavor of caramel, I guess from the sorgum, maybe some honey with a mild hop flavor towards the end. As I consume more of it, I pick up some odd cidery flavors.

m: Light body, average carbonation, farely smooth.

d: Seems like a slightly tweaked version of budweiser.
Its an ok beer, maybe even a good beer given the restrictions it is operating under. Of course taking barley out of budweiser isn't that big a step, its mostly rice and corn anyway.
If I couldn't consume barley or wheat beers and this was my only choice I would be quickly frustrated and move to wine, but it seems like more beers are being created for this segment of the population.
I won't be buying it again.

BradLikesBrew, Dec 19, 2007

Kungom, Sep 23, 2014
2.8/5  rDev +6.9%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

Let me start by stating that I sincerely applaud Anheuser Busch for making this beer. I realize that they aren't saints and the gluten-free market is growing, but turning a profit doesn't take away from providing a product that allows people to once again enjoy the simple pleasure of beer. My mom has Celiac disease and cutting gluten out of one's diet is just hugely limiting. Beyond obvious things like bread, pasta or beer, there's a laundry list of basic categories of food that contain gluten. Unfortunately, this disease is still largely undiagnosed. Unlike most of those stupid prescription drug ads, this is something you should actually ask your doctor about. There's a simple blood test and diet changes are a far sight better than cancer or other debilitating problems that could develop. So, I guess I might have a soft spot for everything gluten-free. Here goes with a relatively unbiased review.

Redbridge pours an okay head that dissipates very rapidly. The beer looks fairly light like most macrobrews. On the plus side, it's a nice amber color that I'd much rather drink than a normal American macro. It's not a horrible looking Amber but there's room for improvement.

The beer smells and tastes better than it looks. It has a sweet, somewhat malty smell that is a lot more beer-like than I was expecting. There could definitely be more strength here, but I enjoy what I detect.

The taste doesn't quite correspond to the smell and is definitely a bit odd for beer. It's a bit watery and mild. The taste is an interesting mix of sweet and sour. It could definitely use more hops, but I ultimately enjoy the unique flavor of the sorghum far more than I do corn or rice flavor in an adjunct macro.

The mouthfeel is more of a problem area. The carbonation is bit bracing for the flavor and is a bit overpowering upfront. On the other hand, I find it fairly drinkable. I feel like I'm splitting the difference between these two categories because while I dislike the carbonation's effect on the taste, it does make the beer go down pretty easy.

Having tried a number of gluten-free versions of normally gluten-containing products, I can sincerely say that Redbridge is fairly successful endeavor. Many small brand, expensive rice/amaranth/potato/arrowroot/whatever breads and pastas are far worse gluten-free versions of their products than this beer. While this beer gets a C compared to the richness of other beers, it's a great gluten-free product from a major brewer. Kudos to Anheuser-Busch.

popery, Sep 23, 2008
2.78/5  rDev +6.1%

From 12 fl. oz. bottle sampled on March 1, 2011. The pour is a golden pale yellow with nice clarity and a short-lived white fizzy head. The aromas tend to be of flour and light yeast. The taste is missing something and seems like of bland although there is a thin hop ending.

puboflyons, Mar 01, 2011
2.78/5  rDev +6.1%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

12oz Bottle from Bevmo La Quinta CA for 2$

Appearance - Clear light copper colour with a very small size fizzy off-white coloured head. There is an average amount of carbonation showing and there is no lacing. The head lasted for around 2-3 minutes.

Smell - Apples, malts?, bread

Taste & Mouth - There is an above average amount of carbonation and I can taste a bit of caramel, apples, and some bread. There is also a light grassiness and something along the lines of malts. It ends with a apple/bready aftertaste.

Overall – Hey, not bad for a gluten free option. In this category, beggars can't be choosers. Rating by style, it's above average in my books.

spinrsx, Feb 26, 2013
2.78/5  rDev +6.1%

had this served at the busch gardens "beer school" in williamsburg, virginia. i had never had a sorghum beer, so i thought i'd try it.

rusty appearance with minimal head that disappeared after a few seconds. not much of a smell.
mouth feel was slick. not a bad beer. slightly sweet aftertaste. perhaps from the use of sorghum. fairly light in body and taste but more flavor than say, a bud or bud light.
i was moderately surprised. with no other beers to compare it to (that i've sampled), i'd say good job. my go to beer if i could not have gluten.

nniicckkww, May 13, 2008
2.78/5  rDev +6.1%

Bottle at the Mundelein beer tasting. Pours amber with a sizable head and pretty strong carbonation.

The aroma is light malts and general "beer" smell. Tastes like it smells with a drop of bitterness on the finish. The finish is clean, and the mouthfeel is light, as I would expect for a red lager.

Pretty much a standard lager-- I guess I was expecting a sorghum beer to be weirder than this is.

kajerm, Apr 09, 2007
2.78/5  rDev +6.1%

This Beer is unique especially to me since it is the first gluten free beer I have ever had. I image though that even though it is made with out wheat or barley it should have more flavor than it does. I will give it some credit being an Anheuser Bush beer I can't expect a whole heck of a lot. Now to the break down. The beer has a surprisingly deep amber color with a bit of a head to it, which doesn't hold very well at all. Has very little smell to it at all. like I mentioned before it has little taste, I would describe it as watery. Mouthfeel is it's strong point, as with most Anheuser Bush beers it is refreshing like a soda. Drinkability is poor for me since I found it bland and boring I will not drink more than the one I bought.

mclanem, Feb 13, 2007
2.78/5  rDev +6.1%

Pours a dark amber/honey color. Small head, white, drops fast to nothing.
Smell is hops, some malt and light citrus.
Taste is a hops, light citrus and some alcohol.
Light-medium body, medium carbonation with a citrus and hop aftertaste. Not a bad beer, good for summer especially with a crisp, hoppy flavor.

Interesting to see a megabrewer trying to act like a micro. Is there an issue with their more well-known lines? (He asks with a huge smirk upon his face) Maybe they need to toss all their old recipes and start over instead of tweaking them and putting a new name on them. My two cents.

PorterLambic, Jul 28, 2007

cmwilliq, Feb 13, 2014

Griffith, Aug 04, 2014

Irish7r, May 17, 2012

CAD22, May 23, 2014
2.75/5  rDev +5%

Poured a coppery-red. Nominal head. Vague aroma hinting at caramel and apple cider. Mouthfeel was thin and a bit watery. Caramel malt flavor that called to mind an ale made with canned malt and a Mr. Beer kit. A bit of apple-ish flavor in the background. Finish was clean to the point of being flavorless. While all of this sounds bad, overall, the beer was acceptable, just not good.

Brent, Apr 09, 2007
2.75/5  rDev +5%

This beer is a light amber color with no lacing and little head, it has a sweeter aroma with cood carbination, it has a watery taste because its gulten free it has an off flavor or less flavor then a regulair beer, overall if you had a problem with gluten this might not be bad but if you dont and you enjoy your beer you should go for a different beer

huxcrunner, Jan 22, 2011