Redbridge - Anheuser-Busch

Anheuser-Busch visit their website
Missouri, United States

American Amber / Red Lager |  4.00% ABV

Beer added by: BeerBeing on 12-10-2006

Rich, hearty and full-bodied gluten-free lager brewed from sorghum. Redbridge has a distinctively fruity hop aroma, a sweet toasted grain flavor and a well-balanced, moderately
hopped finish.
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Redbridge Alström Bros
Ratings: 447 | Reviews: 213
3.46/5  rDev +33.6%

Redbridge pours a copper color with a thin white head from brown twelve ounce bottle. Very mild grainy aroma. Not bad, kind of a sour taste is imparted by the sorghum. I actually kind of like this one, it's not bad considering it's an AB product, and gluten free at that. Definitely worth a try, it's the best sorghum based beer I've had.

3.45/5  rDev +33.2%

Pours a brilliant, bright copper in color, topped with a two fingered off white head of average duration. Lacing is evident in the glass, and is fairly significant, making for a visually appealing presentation.

The nose is fairly robust and rich, malty even (although no barley malts were used in the process). My immediate impression is of a Märzen: light toffee notes and a faint impression of honey immediately after decanting.

Almost sweet on the first sip but lightly tangy as well, and with an even balance of good and "interesting" fruit and vegetable notes. I'm getting something like a cross between the lycopene of a tomato and the earth husk of a gourd, which is not unpleasant, just interesting. There are also fruity esters (citric-orange) and light honey notes. There are also light anise notes and a lightly cidery, vinuous character. Interesting . . .

On the palate it's a bit soft and lightly brisk, barely coating the tongue with a semi-sweet maltose/dextrose-like character. Sweet honey notes linger in the aromatic portion of the palate, along with a light vegetal character.

Drinkability is considerably better than I'd expected, although the seems nothing like a lager, bearing more of the characteristics of an ale. Altogether I'd say that it makes for a good tipple at the end of a long day. On the other hand I am not affected by celiacs disorder, and those who are might prefer a more readily-available Bud Light. But I'll raise one in Anheuser-Busch's name for doing their part to do some good for a growing market segment.

3.42/5  rDev +32%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Redbridge from Anheuser-Busch is a gluten free brew. It pours a dark amber color. Little to no head but it is a white head. The smell is ok nothing special but good. The taste is smooth and it goes down well. There is no bad aftertaste at all. Overall, this was a good brew to drink if you want to try something different. I really enjoyed this brew.

3.42/5  rDev +32%

Bottle purchased for $.35. Worth a try at that price.
The grain offer a unique fruity aroma that's very mild and generally pleasant. Just a touch of spiciness from hops.
Very attractive, water clear, amber color. Head was small and very short lived
Taste is short lived to, but that's not to say it's not there. Starts with a pleasant sweetness rapidly moving to a more nuetral grain flavor, then to stark sourness before moving to rather bold bitter/sour/dryness that finishes quite long. Most flavors are fairly strong but very quick. They are also rather unique and pleasing enough, the exception being the finish which for many will have to be an acquired taste.
Fully carbonated as most lager from the brewery tend to be. Lager thin and typical.
This is not bad. Unique flavors and close to thirst quenching.

3.41/5  rDev +31.7%

Nice golden sun at dusk color. Not much lacing but alot of bubbles racing to the top. Not bad.

Faint sweet smell.

Very mellow flavor an almost oatmeal and maple syrup like taste with some malts. Not much for hops.

Smooth and with a clean crisp finish.

Not bad, but definitely different. Could be good around a campfire in autumn.

3.41/5  rDev +31.7%

poured a light copper color with moderate foamy white head.Good retention and lacing.
Smell is light and almost undetectable.
Taste is enjoyable, but not great. The beer has a nice fruity sweetness but also a bit of an astringent texture.
Leaves a strange taste in the mouth. Great really bad, but not good either.
If this was all I could drink I could used to yet, but I have other choices.

3.4/5  rDev +31.3%

Appears a light toasted malt hue of amber caramel tones, head is slightly off white forms thick after a heavy pour large bubbles fizzy pour going on. Aroma has a faint sweetness with a touch of cascade hops going on mild citrus flow going on. Flavor actually isn't too bad a touch of candy caramel sweetness some rock candi sugar like notes as well but never cloying. Really plays well without any grains actual hop flavor I'm impressed not as bad as I was expecting and more affordable than the Green's line up. If I had celiac this beer would definitely do the trick if nothing else was a possibility on it's own I would drink this over Bud any day. Mouthfeel is light to medium in body definitely has a sturdy level of carbonation but it's not over done this is a well engineered beer. Drinkability overall, let me reiterate not bad enjoyable definitely better than a Budweiser, go for it.

3.4/5  rDev +31.3%

Came across this beer and was intrigued about the overall taste of this beer.
Pours to a pale brown color with a thin foam head.
Smell has hints of sweet bread and some fruity undertones.
Taste reveals more fruity flavors almost citrusy and balances them with the corn syrup it boasts to include.
This beer doesn't come across as extremely watered down and it delivers a well balanced flavor and little to no hoppiness.

3.4/5  rDev +31.3%

Not something you'd expect from AB.A pretty drinkable beer with a slight fruity aftertaste.This beer almost reminds of Sam Adams cherry wheat,although there is no wheat in the beer.I would recommend this to my friends and I definetly will be buying again!!

3.38/5  rDev +30.5%

12 oz bottle poured into a Nonic. Julian date of 09215 (Aug. 03) on label. Also presents the Nutrition Facts. Interesting...

A - Totally clear light golden amber with next to no bubbles rising up. Starts with a big fluffy off-white head that lowers slowly to a thin layer and leaves lacing on the sides of the glass.

S - An obvious lack of typical beer ingredients on the nose with a low hop presence and a tiny touch of soap. Not terrible.

T - I first noticed the addition of some sort of artificial sweetener that doesn't seem to belong. Besides that it really seems to come as close to a "real" beer as possible. Finishes with a light beer / soda flavor. Hmm...

M - Light bodied and somewhat oily, it's very crisp with a sharp carbonation bite to the finish.

D - I wouldn't really want more than one of these but if I couldn't have gluten, it wouldn't be a bad option.

[I must say I love the label design of this beer. Very well done. (Not the one pictured.)]

3.38/5  rDev +30.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Appearance - Pours a clear golden-amber hue with a thin head that dissipates instantly. Lacing is pretty nice.

Smell - It has a subtle sweetness and a little grainy.

Taste - It's quite sweet, but a strange sweetness I can't exactly describe. Has a strong metallic flavor to it too.. along with a corn-like flavor in the finish. It's probably the sorghum?

Mouthfeel - Light body with medium carbonation. Very crisp.

Overall - It's quite drinkable.. but for some reason I usually get heartburn from this beer.

3.37/5  rDev +30.1%

This is my first Gluten free beer, found it at Wal-Mart. Rather costly at over $7.00 a six-pack, but I had to try it.

There is a nice golden, slightly amber hued, color to the beer placing it in the catchall category of American Amber/Red Lager. The head is white and frothy with moderate stability, as it never disappears. However, there is not the lacing I expected from the quality of hops used. The beer is rather carbonated, even for a lager.

The nose is very nice the premium hops used really take over. The imported Hallertau and domestic Cascade hops combine to give a great rounded hop profile. First the Nobel floral Hallertau and then oily, dank piney Cascades fill the nose. There is only a very slight malt character barely detectable, but it is nice.

The taste is likewise very hoppy. But again there is a slight maltiness, which this time balances and accents nicely. The taste starts bright floral, the Hallertau’s, then the maltiness balances and cuts the flavor for a moment before the bitter Cascades dominate and linger for the aftertaste.

The mouthfeel is good and matches the style and taste well. It is slightly thick but finishes a tad dry.

Drinkability is average; the hoppiness may be too much after a few. I imagine the high quality hops were used to add flavor, as the sorghum seems to impart little taste. I wonder if the sorghum is roasted at all?

I think this is a great beer, I think they have done a great job of making a beer for those with gluten allergies. I am not sure I would buy it again, but that is due to the price.

3.36/5  rDev +29.7%

Pours a light clear amber. Smells sweet and yeasty. Taste is sweet and mildly bitter. Mouthfeel is light and moderately carbonated.

Overall, this is not a good beer. It's better than most Anheuser-Busch products and it's much better than most gluten free beers. Having no allergies, it's not one I want to try again.

3.35/5  rDev +29.3%

Goes down smooth - clean finish - can't tell the gluten is missing...! - good beer.

3.33/5  rDev +28.6%

Commendations to Anheuser-Busch for supporting the growing number of people with gluten (wheat or barley) allergies. However, don't let that dissuade you from trying this one, as it stands on its own merits. Pouring a nice red-amber with average lacing, this sorghum-based beer has a sweet molasses nose, and a rich and malty flavor. The hops content seems subdued, pushing this one towards an overbearing sweetness rather than a well-balanced mix. Still, an easy-to-drink beer, and certainly steps above mainstream American lagers.

3.33/5  rDev +28.6%

Poured a nice amber color with a bit of a light off white head, very little retention or lacing.

The smell had a dry bread malty quality to it, not bad, but a bit on the weak side.

Almost English ESB like in flavor with a light mineral taste and a bit fruity notes with just a touch of buttery diacyte coming through as well, just a hint of sourdough bread and a light bit of spicy hops. Very balanced.

The mouthfeel is watery and a bit slick.

Overall its much better than I had anticipated, a little to thin to be good, but not bad.

A strange beer.

Being a gluten free beer I expected it to be strange tasting but never thought it would be as sweet as it is.

Nice amber color, with barely any head.
Smells like esters and sweet yeasts.
Tastes like sweetness, but not from anything I have tasted in my life before.

I would buy it again if I was on a gluten free diet.

3.3/5  rDev +27.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

You know, I don't have a gluten wheat allergy, so I don't really see why I would even try this. But my roommates girlfriend does, and this was brought home and I gave it a go. It has a carbonated bubbliness to it. It's very alcohol tasting. Some lime in there? I'm almost thinking gin and tonic in a beer.

3.3/5  rDev +27.4%

I found this in the back of the fridge the other night and decided to down it to make room for some other stuff in my stash.

Poured a amber color with a small head that fell quickly leaving a little lace but not much. There wasn't a ton of nose on this..but you could smell some of the molasas and a hint of the hops. Taste and mouthfeel were both decent, had a good sweetness to it with a non-offensive amount of hops, just not very complex at all.

Overall I'd say that it isn't a bad beer at all..and if somebody handed me one I'd drink it and thank them for it, but I wouldn't seek it out for myself

3.3/5  rDev +27.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours a clear, golden amber color. 5/4 inch head with slight retention ad decent lacing. Smells mostly of a sweet grain (I'm assuming rye). I guess it fits the style - I'd put it in its own category of a rye beer. Has a smooth and crisp mouth feel with average carbonation. Tastes mostly of a lager with a sweet rye flavor. There's also a distinct metallic/acidic aftertaste. Overall, a little weak in body and the aftertaste is slightly odd.

3.3/5  rDev +27.4%

Though I understand the desire to label Redbridge an amber lager, I think it's more appropriate to begin a separate category for sorghum beer. That's what we're dealing with here, and those who compare this beer to beer made with standard ingedients might be doing a disservice to this brew.

I enjoy this beer quite a lot, and I'd gladly drink it even though I have no gluten allergies. It's easygoing, but certainly more flavorful than the typical macrobrew. I'm really glad Anheuser-Busch tapped into this market. As a quencher on a warm day I'd grab one of these in a heartbeat.

3.29/5  rDev +27%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.25

Needs more oomph -- goes down smooth -- gluten-free is an advantage, but the taste fizzles out and leaves you wondering what happened. I enjoy a bottle once in a while but there's no story to it.. All in all it DEFINITELY tastes better than what goes under the bridge.

3.28/5  rDev +26.6%

Poured from the bottle into a pint glass, beer is a light copper-amber color with a thick, foamy head. Smell is slightly sweet, a slight amber presence with a bit of earthy hops. Tastes like an average red, decently bittered... not bad. The mouthfeel is light-medium bodied with a foamy carbonation. This is a decently drinkable beer, I was surprised to find that it wasn't too bad. I would buy this over Bud, which isn't saying much but it is a step up. I can't imagine not being able to drink the wide variety of beers available because although not bad, this beer is no substitute.

3.27/5  rDev +26.3%

Appearance: Amber body, thin white head that quickly dissipates leaving no lacing.

Aroma: Really sweet malt, mild hops.

Taste: Just as the nose predicted. This really isn't that bad.

Feel/Drink: Light mouthfeel, drinkablity isn't bad at all. I'd be happy to drink this if I had a gluten alergy.

3.27/5  rDev +26.3%

Yea, I fell for it. Glad to see A-B trying some experimental stuff. The beer reminds me of my first few batches of homebrew. Turned out overly malty (with something) spicy, and pepery. Sweetness and viscous similar to some other no-malt beers. I must say that this one seems better than them. Though the beer fell apart and the body turned out thin, the initial flavors show similar qualities to some Belgian malts, minus the yeasts. Overtly sweet well into the finish made it hard to drink late. A tacky feel on the palate with a heavy buttery feel. Not likely to try one again, but this session was not the expected disaster.

Redbridge from Anheuser-Busch