Redbridge - Anheuser-Busch

poor

Anheuser-Busch visit their website
Missouri, United States

American Amber / Red Lager |  4.00% ABV

Rich, hearty and full-bodied gluten-free lager brewed from sorghum. Redbridge has a distinctively fruity hop aroma, a sweet toasted grain flavor and a well-balanced, moderately
hopped finish.

(Beer added by: BeerBeing on 12-10-2006)
View: Beers (79) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Redbridge Alström Bros
WVbeergeek

West Virginia

3.35/5  rDev +26.9%

Appears a light toasted malt hue of amber caramel tones, head is slightly off white forms thick after a heavy pour large bubbles fizzy pour going on. Aroma has a faint sweetness with a touch of cascade hops going on mild citrus flow going on. Flavor actually isn't too bad a touch of candy caramel sweetness some rock candi sugar like notes as well but never cloying. Really plays well without any grains actual hop flavor I'm impressed not as bad as I was expecting and more affordable than the Green's line up. If I had celiac this beer would definitely do the trick if nothing else was a possibility on it's own I would drink this over Bud any day. Mouthfeel is light to medium in body definitely has a sturdy level of carbonation but it's not over done this is a well engineered beer. Drinkability overall, let me reiterate not bad enjoyable definitely better than a Budweiser, go for it.

08-30-2008 19:04:42 | More by WVbeergeek
bashiba

Iowa

3.35/5  rDev +26.9%

Poured a nice amber color with a bit of a light off white head, very little retention or lacing.

The smell had a dry bread malty quality to it, not bad, but a bit on the weak side.

Almost English ESB like in flavor with a light mineral taste and a bit fruity notes with just a touch of buttery diacyte coming through as well, just a hint of sourdough bread and a light bit of spicy hops. Very balanced.

The mouthfeel is watery and a bit slick.

Overall its much better than I had anticipated, a little to thin to be good, but not bad.

08-23-2009 01:14:59 | More by bashiba
Spineypanda

A strange beer.

Being a gluten free beer I expected it to be strange tasting but never thought it would be as sweet as it is.

Nice amber color, with barely any head.
Smells like esters and sweet yeasts.
Tastes like sweetness, but not from anything I have tasted in my life before.

I would buy it again if I was on a gluten free diet.

11-25-2009 03:45:44 | More by Spineypanda
meechum

Georgia

3.33/5  rDev +26.1%

I found this in the back of the fridge the other night and decided to down it to make room for some other stuff in my stash.

Poured a amber color with a small head that fell quickly leaving a little lace but not much. There wasn't a ton of nose on this..but you could smell some of the molasas and a hint of the hops. Taste and mouthfeel were both decent, had a good sweetness to it with a non-offensive amount of hops, just not very complex at all.

Overall I'd say that it isn't a bad beer at all..and if somebody handed me one I'd drink it and thank them for it, but I wouldn't seek it out for myself

10-23-2007 14:48:04 | More by meechum
angusdegraosta

3.33/5  rDev +26.1%

Though I understand the desire to label Redbridge an amber lager, I think it's more appropriate to begin a separate category for sorghum beer. That's what we're dealing with here, and those who compare this beer to beer made with standard ingedients might be doing a disservice to this brew.

I enjoy this beer quite a lot, and I'd gladly drink it even though I have no gluten allergies. It's easygoing, but certainly more flavorful than the typical macrobrew. I'm really glad Anheuser-Busch tapped into this market. As a quencher on a warm day I'd grab one of these in a heartbeat.

12-27-2010 05:57:54 | More by angusdegraosta
secondtooth

Indiana

3.3/5  rDev +25%

Commendations to Anheuser-Busch for supporting the growing number of people with gluten (wheat or barley) allergies. However, don't let that dissuade you from trying this one, as it stands on its own merits. Pouring a nice red-amber with average lacing, this sorghum-based beer has a sweet molasses nose, and a rich and malty flavor. The hops content seems subdued, pushing this one towards an overbearing sweetness rather than a well-balanced mix. Still, an easy-to-drink beer, and certainly steps above mainstream American lagers.

11-15-2010 00:47:24 | More by secondtooth
Amalak

3.3/5  rDev +25%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

You know, I don't have a gluten wheat allergy, so I don't really see why I would even try this. But my roommates girlfriend does, and this was brought home and I gave it a go. It has a carbonated bubbliness to it. It's very alcohol tasting. Some lime in there? I'm almost thinking gin and tonic in a beer.

01-08-2010 22:40:34 | More by Amalak
travduke

3.3/5  rDev +25%

Appearance: Amber body, thin white head that quickly dissipates leaving no lacing.

Aroma: Really sweet malt, mild hops.

Taste: Just as the nose predicted. This really isn't that bad.

Feel/Drink: Light mouthfeel, drinkablity isn't bad at all. I'd be happy to drink this if I had a gluten alergy.

04-27-2010 02:19:07 | More by travduke
lackenhauser

Maryland

3.3/5  rDev +25%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

I cant imagine having celiac disease and not being able to consume things with gluten. its amazing what all we eat that contains it. That being said I was eager to try this beer. I think I have read that sorghum beers are big in rural parts of Africa.

Decent color and carbonation level. Somewhat of a slight coppery golden color. Aroma is just there-to me a BUD has more aroma then this. Doesnt even really say "beer". Flavor is a tad sweet-almost malty. It is sweet like unfermented wort. Very slight trace of hops to it. Mouthfeel is decent enough. As I reach the bottom of the glass the whole package is quite enjoyable. While I dont think I would buy this again, AB has done an admirable job in producing something quite drinkable.

02-04-2007 00:02:51 | More by lackenhauser
bill93063

New Hampshire

look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

I have been struggling with a wheat allergy and consequently though I am not allergic to rye and barley per se, I definately feel better when I don't consume them. Having said all of this I tried a Redbridge red lager gluten free beer last night. I was surprised how much I liked it. I am generally not a big AB fan though I recently tried the Great American Ale and liked that as well. They have done a first rate job here. Though I would never confuse this for a craft brewed specialty beer or ale it tastes surprisingly good. The taste falls between a pale ale and a classic lager flavor, malty, mildly citrusy with caramel notes as well as a mid range hoppy finish. I would recommend anyone who finds they have gluten/wheat issues to give Redbridge a try!

08-02-2009 13:57:44 | More by bill93063
Tone

Missouri

3.28/5  rDev +24.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours a clear, golden amber color. 5/4 inch head with slight retention ad decent lacing. Smells mostly of a sweet grain (I'm assuming rye). I guess it fits the style - I'd put it in its own category of a rye beer. Has a smooth and crisp mouth feel with average carbonation. Tastes mostly of a lager with a sweet rye flavor. There's also a distinct metallic/acidic aftertaste. Overall, a little weak in body and the aftertaste is slightly odd.

01-17-2009 20:48:41 | More by Tone
BEERchitect

Kentucky

3.28/5  rDev +24.2%

Yea, I fell for it. Glad to see A-B trying some experimental stuff. The beer reminds me of my first few batches of homebrew. Turned out overly malty (with something) spicy, and pepery. Sweetness and viscous similar to some other no-malt beers. I must say that this one seems better than them. Though the beer fell apart and the body turned out thin, the initial flavors show similar qualities to some Belgian malts, minus the yeasts. Overtly sweet well into the finish made it hard to drink late. A tacky feel on the palate with a heavy buttery feel. Not likely to try one again, but this session was not the expected disaster.

01-17-2007 00:12:53 | More by BEERchitect
WesWes

3.28/5  rDev +24.2%

The beer pours an amber color with a towering offwhite head that quickly fades to lacing. The aroma is average. It has a very dry lager yeast scent with little "malt" or hop aroma; yes I know this is made with sorghum. The taste is decent. It has a smooth "amber lager" taste that goes down easy, but it finishes way too dry for my liking. The mouthfeel is decent as well. It is a medium bodied beer with good carbonation. I love the idea here, but the end result isn't very attractive. It's one and done for me.

03-26-2007 21:32:58 | More by WesWes
AceMoose

District of Columbia

3.26/5  rDev +23.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.25

Needs more oomph -- goes down smooth -- gluten-free is an advantage, but the taste fizzles out and leaves you wondering what happened. I enjoy a bottle once in a while but there's no story to it.. All in all it DEFINITELY tastes better than what goes under the bridge.

02-24-2014 21:58:56 | More by AceMoose
OregonGrown7

Nebraska

11-09-2012 01:43:22 | More by OregonGrown7
JayQue

3.25/5  rDev +23.1%

My first gluten free beer. If I had to go gluten free, this would probably be not that bad. Some flavor here, not the corn and rice mess that makes up most adjunct lagers. Still not that good a beer though.

Pours a crystal clear light amber color with a small bubbly white head, less than average retention and almost no lacing.

Smell is faint, a little sweet and floral.

Taste is not that bad. Not particularly strong but there is a floral sweetness and a bit of hops in the finish.

Mouthfeel is crisp but also very light.

On the whole, a pretty average beer. Lawnmower beer at best for someone that does not require gluten free.

08-27-2011 00:21:02 | More by JayQue
gpogo

3.25/5  rDev +23.1%

A- Clear dark golden, sort of looks like a very watered down coke. Moderate sized off-white head that looks a lot like what would come from pouring a cider. Dissipates into a ring which surprises me for a beer made of sorghum.

A- Smells sweet and slightly fruity

T- Sweet taste. Has a weird undertone/aftertaste that is almost like maple syrup, this is undoubtedly the sorghum syrup.

M- Medium-light body with high carbonation.

D- Not something I'd drink often. Even if I could not tolerate gluten I'd probably choose a dry cider over this. Though this is probably one of the better things coming from AB and I'd recommend checking it out if you have issues with gluten.

08-19-2008 21:41:24 | More by gpogo
ShepardCommander

02-01-2014 17:08:58 | More by ShepardCommander
Stockfan42

01-14-2013 05:22:11 | More by Stockfan42
gmfessen

3.25/5  rDev +23.1%

Poured from the bottle into a pint glass, beer is a light copper-amber color with a thick, foamy head. Smell is slightly sweet, a slight amber presence with a bit of earthy hops. Tastes like an average red, decently bittered... not bad. The mouthfeel is light-medium bodied with a foamy carbonation. This is a decently drinkable beer, I was surprised to find that it wasn't too bad. I would buy this over Bud, which isn't saying much but it is a step up. I can't imagine not being able to drink the wide variety of beers available because although not bad, this beer is no substitute.

03-14-2007 01:37:36 | More by gmfessen
vegasmac99

03-23-2013 15:46:15 | More by vegasmac99
IIKaRuII

3.25/5  rDev +23.1%

A- pours a golden yellow that produces no head, seems to be VERY carbonated. bubbles never seem to end. Not going to lie... it looks quite good for what i expected.
S- is a generally hoppy smell. granted there is no wheat or barley... there is atually a slight malty smell to this. almost sweet?

T- sour... has a slight malt background. generally taste of hops. slightly bitter finish. watery... has as slight apple presence? so weird...
M- Lighter then air. lingering sweetness.
D/O - i wont lie... this is drinkable. this is not the worst beer AB has ever came out with. Surprisingly enjoyable to a degree. but watery non to say the least.

03-23-2011 06:30:07 | More by IIKaRuII
Reidrover

Oregon

3.23/5  rDev +22.3%

Copper/amber coloured beer, small pure white head. sourish vinegar like aroma, reminds me of apple cider Again a weak apple cider flavour,but for some reason iits refreshing, well carbonated and slightly bitter after the sour. Nice enough mouthfeel. Not too bad at all..this is my second sorghum based brew and i like them well enough.

10-23-2007 13:00:37 | More by Reidrover
jeremiahjsmith

3.23/5  rDev +22.3%

A - deep golden-orange, just shy of amber. Perfectly clear with a thin head that leaves no lace, despite the strong carbonation observed adhering to the sides of the glass.

S - slight maple syrup, soft floral note. Neither is very strong.

T - mildly medicinal initial taste followed by a broad bitterness that balances nicely with the maple sweetness. Warm alcohol heat finishes the drink.

M - Not a lot of body, quite fizzy.

D - I might cross the street for one of these beers, but it would depend on the number of lanes.

03-02-2007 14:59:03 | More by jeremiahjsmith
xav33

Redbridge
12 oz bottle
Moderate pour in a mug
Recent brewing, crossed 05/07.

Poured a clear reddish amber with an average fizzy mostly diminishing slightly off-white head.

Smelt of real beer! Some definite grassy hops with some odd grain smell. Toasted grain, but different, more green like...

Taste was upfront moderate bitter toasted grain and hops with light sweet caramel followed by a moderate bitter soya vegetable and sweet grain and biter grassy hops on a short finish.

Palate was light bodied, fizzy, watery and moderately astringent.

Overall, this is great! I'm not sure what kind of flavors can be obtained from sorghum, but the fact that it exists open a whole new world. Nothing bold, rich or complex. Just new. It's like drinking a beer for the first time. Just different...

05-30-2007 06:38:46 | More by xav33