Already subscribe? to manage your subscription.

Redbridge - Anheuser-Busch

RedbridgeRedbridge

poor

Anheuser-Busch visit their website
Missouri, United States

American Amber / Red Lager |  4.00% ABV

Beer added by: BeerBeing on 12-10-2006

Rich, hearty and full-bodied gluten-free lager brewed from sorghum. Redbridge has a distinctively fruity hop aroma, a sweet toasted grain flavor and a well-balanced, moderately
hopped finish.
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Redbridge Alström Bros
1.09/5  rDev -61.2%

Nose sweet sour bread (I guess sorghum), moldiness, grains. Taste like crappy club soda, strange tartness, cidery. Another underwhelming Gluten! Couldn't finish this one. (172 characters)

1.18/5  rDev -58%
look: 1.25 | smell: 1.25 | taste: 1 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.25

I have been interested in sorghum as an alternative in recipes for while now so I thought I would the 4 sorghum based beers I found. This is the worst one yet, the others were actually very good.

This one pours a darker tanned gold with a effervescent head that is of an odd texture, More like soap foam than beer foam. The lacing looking more like a chemical accident than lacing.

The nose is almost nonexistent, nothing to review cause I honestly cannot smell anything.

The taste is more like a beer that taste like a home brew that was contaminated with a foreign bacteria. This is what I think old gym socks might taste like.

The mouthfeel is so watery it would give distilled texture.

Completely undrinkable, awful and can't be called beer. Even an alcoholic would pass this one up.

I am pouring it out and shooting the glass to put it out of it's misery. (867 characters)

1.28/5  rDev -54.4%

This is not an amber or red lager...This is an awful foul tasting specialty grain sorghum beer. Poured clear copper with little head that disappeared fast. Very little smell and what little there was, smelled of a kind of non alcoholic beer type maltiness. (Think Kaliber) Wow, taste is bland, and an immediate watery finish. This has no redeeming qualities other than not being made with barley, I guess, if you're allergic. Avoid like the plague. (448 characters)

1.32/5  rDev -53%

Appearance: Pours a lightly bubbly, crystal clear, light amber body with a thin, fizzy white head.

Smell: Ugh! Highly noxious and offensive, I guess I just can't stand the smell of sorghum. Dare I go on?

Taste: There's that sorghum again. Very chemically taste with some hints of spoiled cider. Positively wretched.

Mouthfeel: Light-bodied. Medium carbonation.

Drinkability: Those poor celiacs have enough problems without having to deal with this. (452 characters)

1.38/5  rDev -50.9%

Appearance - yellow/gold, very translucent with no head.

Smell - very sweet. Smells like white wine

Taste - what is sorghum, whatever it is it shouldnt be in beer... Too sweet, tastes like sparkling wine.

Mouthfeel - so-so

Overall - not very good, will never drink again. (275 characters)

1.42/5  rDev -49.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

Got this bottle just for the heck of it because I was interested to taste a non-barley beer.
Pours a reddish golden color and looks pretty good. Looks can, unfortunately, be deceiving.
I really don't want to say bad things about this beer but looking at my tasting notes, there is one line that sticks out to me: I wrote "vinegar & watered-down maple syrup"
The smell and taste can be summed up in that statement.
Mouthfeel was very thin; too thin for me.
Overall I would say I hated this beer. If you cannot have gluten, you should definitely be a home-brewer if this is the type of beer there is on the market for you. (623 characters)

1.44/5  rDev -48.8%

My first gluten free beer. Alright!

A: The pour on this beer is light orange-amber in color with a small white head.

S: Smells...strange. A strong aroma of menthol. There are certainly some bandaids mixed in there. A bit of grass and dry malt extract. Light popcorn to it as well as a touch of mint.

S: Tastes worse, somehow. Lots of green apple which gives a slight sourness, but not in a good way. Heavy on the popcorn with more bandaids and menthol. It tastes of wet paper or cardboard. Definitely a hint of rubber, too.

M: The body is light, very light, with medium carbonation.

O: I hate you Bobby. This was awful. (624 characters)

1.47/5  rDev -47.7%

12oz bottle poured into a pint glass. Pours a clear copper color with an off-white head. Obviously since the beer is made without malt and wheat, it has a unique aroma. It is really is hard to describe but there is no familiar malt smells, just a sweet and slightly chalky aroma (that is the best I can describe it). The taste much like the aroma is pretty faint and lacking the malty characteristics that I love in beer. There really is not much flavor to pick up on, and the little bit of flavor that peaks through is not very good at all. Overall, I am not a big fan of this brew. I know and understand that this is a gluten-free "beer", but I am having a hard time justifying to myself that this is a beer. Thank goodness I do not have gluten issues. Not recommended. (771 characters)

1.56/5  rDev -44.5%

Pours a deep orange colour with a very thin head which disappears in seconds.

A very slight sweet smell but can't smell much at all.

Tastes slightly sweet a little bitter but not much going on.

Feels very carbonated and thin, similar to carbonated water.

Won't be buying this again, the worst of the gluten free beers I've tried. (333 characters)

1.7/5  rDev -39.5%

Redbridge is very reminiscent of a macro pouring a gold color but did have lasting lace. The aroma was of vanilla, orance, and grass. The flavor was mainly citrusy with ginger showing through as it warms, slightly souring in the finish. Mouthfeel is thin and may pair well with fish. Overall this beer is just okay, not recommended. (332 characters)

1.75/5  rDev -37.7%

I would have to say this is little more than a glorified Budweiser. Has a little bit of an amber or red color, heavility carbonated and not much on the flavor side. There is a bit of a back side taste, but I'm not sure what it is, because it's not prominent. I had no idea it was a gluten free beer when I bought, my grocery store had it up in with the Porter's in the mixed pak selection area. Thank goodness I only got one. (429 characters)

1.79/5  rDev -36.3%
look: 2 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 2 | overall: 1.75

Poured from bottle to snifter. One finger off-white foamy head, poor retention and negligible lacing. Amber color and clear. Not very aromatic, but what I do pick up smells like band-aids. Slight floral sweetness. Tastes also like a band-aid. Some hop bitterness, but not much, also, reminds me somehow of a green otter pop. Moderate carbonation tickles center of tongue for a little while. Light and watery. Pretty awful. (422 characters)

1.8/5  rDev -35.9%
look: 2 | smell: 1.25 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 1.75

Crystal clear, watery, sweet with a bit of citrus from the hops, but no bready malt flavours to balance this. "Lager" yeast doesn't taste much like lager. I know it's Gluten-free, but, eh, there are definitely much better. (i.e. Green's) (237 characters)

1.81/5  rDev -35.6%

When I first smelled this beer, I thought the smell was off like burnt rubber and sweet. When poured, the beer was an amber color with little to no head that disappeared quickly. The mouthfeel was very light and tasted watered down with sorghum flavors, but still lacking a lasting flavor that would make me want to drink. In this case, I wouldn't choose this beer to drink with a gluten allergy. (396 characters)

1.83/5  rDev -34.9%

ever had Miller's "Sharp's" non-alcoholic brew?

Redbridge tastes very much like that, to me... nasty sweet bread flavor
with a definite tang of alcohol, kind of amazing since it's only 4% abv.

it's not a good thing at all. in fact, it was pretty gross... I am not one to pour beers (not even Earthquake!), but I came close on this one. I'm glad I got just one bottle as part of a pick-six at my local market.

if I had to limit myself to GF beer, I could drink this.... but I wouldn't enjoy it much. (507 characters)

1.83/5  rDev -34.9%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

Redbridge is a very clear golden beer with a white head that fades to a thin film and leaves decent lacing. It has a faint, sweet, sorghum aroma with a note of grass. It's very light bodied and watery with a chalky finish. There's hardly any flavor at all. There's a light sweetness in the finish. It tastes like non alcoholic beer. Nothing to see here; move along. (365 characters)

1.84/5  rDev -34.5%

Simply awful. Did not realize it was a gluten free beer mad by AB. Better off drinking Coors Light, unless you really need something gluten free, but then why even drink beer? (177 characters)

1.85/5  rDev -34.2%

Poured from a 12 OZ bottle into a pint glass, then promptly dumped half into the toilet.
Aroma- smells like beer
Appearance- Looks like beer
Taste- Horrid, if you can't have gluten, then I guess you should drink wine. this is awful
Palate- not sure, couldn't get the taste out of my mouth.
Overall- really!! avoid, drink tap water. (332 characters)

1.88/5  rDev -33.1%

This has been quite a G-F weekend for yours truly! I felt really crappy all day on Friday and while I wanted to indulge, the thought of AIPAs made the stomach seas choppy and bouncy. I then hit upon all of the G-F beers that I had assembled, both in support of a (now-former) work colleague who is gluten intolerant and in the hopes of submitting an article on G-F beers for publication. My new sense of this is that it takes both immersion and dedication. One cannot sense the nuances of these beers unless you commit to solely drinking them for a period of time. I only wish that I had more to try on this journey.

From the bottle: "Gluten-Free Sorghum Beer Made Without Wheat Or Barley". For me it was the striking picture of the red covered bridge that really hit home. My late Pops was a founding member of the Lancaster (PA) Bicycle Club and the instigator of the annual Covered Bridge Ride through Lancaster County. I was the executor of his estate and I chose a like scene for the front of his funeral announcement. I still envision his rear wheel crossing into eternity any time I am near a covered bridge, red or not. R.I.P., Pops.

I Pop!, er, unscrewed the cap, just to show you the relevancy A-B/INBEV gives to its G-F consumers. An aggro pour netted a finger of foamy, light-tan head with lousy retention. Bye, Felicia! Nose had a musty, caramel apple smell. I thought of ice cream for some reason. Nowhere as sharp as Green's, but where would these guys be if they didn't polish the s**t out of their beers? Nowhere! Color was Amber (SRM = > 7, < 9) with NE-plus quality clarity. These guys are the masters of filtration at the expense of flavor!Mouthfeel was medium. The taste was like fermented apple cider, but with somebody having hit the "Mute" button! This was as if you were a person new to G-F and unsure where to start, then this would be your beer. For a now-seasoned veteran, this was like G-F beer on training wheels. Holy Ho Hum and Boring, Batman! I could drink this. A G-F person could drink this. On the other hand, we could drink a glass of water, which is also G-F! Finish was as bland and indistinguishable as all of their other products. For shame! Yes, this is an alternative, but to beer? I am unamused. (2,241 characters)

1.88/5  rDev -33.1%

When I first poured this beer, it formed a shallow layer of white head which dissapeared almost instantly. The look is a see-through brownish red which let me know right away that it will lack in flavor.

The smell is very sweet and dry with very little bitterness present.

It tastes very much like it smells and is much too sweet for my taste. When I think of beer, I think of something that at least has some bitterness and balance but this one is pure sweetness. It also leaves a fruity aftertaste which reminds me of applesauce. Really not a typical beer taste and not in a good way.

I was expecting something different and original and it sure was different but I will not be buying it again. (700 characters)

1.91/5  rDev -32%

12oz bottle thanks to Arbitrator...I guess. Arbitrator described this as a "rare Portland tick." As Phil Collins would said, that was ALL A PACK OF LIES! This beer is not rare or from Portland, although it was indeed a tick. I was expecting DAVE and got this! Talk about your all-time disappointments.

Clear amber pour with a small off-white head that fades.

Old, sherry-like malty aroma. Slightly medicinal.

Big sherry flavor with a little caramel and a weird plasticky note. Not good.

Medium-light bodied with low carbonation level.

Not very good, and it certainly isn't Hair of the Dog Dave, dammit. (607 characters)

1.98/5  rDev -29.5%

I know this gluten-free and thus one of the only beers available for a myriad of people with certain medical conditions, in which gluten is a no no.

With that being said, I applaud A-B for making this beer. Reaching out to an otherwise beerless people.

However, it tastes bad. It reminds me of children's medicine. The sweetness seems really articfical.

Almost like a facade of beer. A shadow of beer. It is hard to drink, and that is my honest opinion. (464 characters)

Jeesh, quite the trial brew here or what? I would think they could come up with some better ideas than this.

A bit amber in color, but not enough so. A bit "red" in the taste, but not enough so. A bit better than most of their offerings in the body and mouthfeel, but not enough. And it leaves a strange aftertaste. Really not sure what to make of this one, but I know I dont like it. It has an oddly dry and maybe fruity aftertaste. Something just doesnt match up well in this one.

They might be slowly headed in the right direction with a beer like this, but theres a lot of room for progress yet. (602 characters)

2.01/5  rDev -28.5%

This is the gluten-free beer I'd expect from a big brewer like Anheuser-Busch. It's a poor substitute even for an average lager, but if you can't drink lager, it's at least a low-cost option. Still it pales in comparison to Brunehaut, Green's or even American competitors like Off The Grid. The mouthfeel is strange, but the flavor is at least reminiscent of corn-based lager. (376 characters)

2.02/5  rDev -28.1%

[Best served in a Lager glass]

Poured a clear medium amber with virtually no head and no lacing at all. The aroma was of a cereal malt, resin hops and a horse blanket yeast. It tasted lightly bitter from start to finish with bearly any flavor at all. Mouthfeel was light in body and watery in texture with a very flat carbonation. Overall it is typical brew from Anheuser-Busch InBev and will most likely be my last Gluten-free beer as well. (442 characters)

Redbridge from Anheuser-Busch