Redbridge - Anheuser-Busch

poor

Anheuser-Busch visit their website
Missouri, United States

American Amber / Red Lager |  4.00% ABV

Rich, hearty and full-bodied gluten-free lager brewed from sorghum. Redbridge has a distinctively fruity hop aroma, a sweet toasted grain flavor and a well-balanced, moderately
hopped finish.

(Beer added by: BeerBeing on 12-10-2006)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Redbridge Alström Bros

1.75/5  rDev -33%

I would have to say this is little more than a glorified Budweiser. Has a little bit of an amber or red color, heavility carbonated and not much on the flavor side. There is a bit of a back side taste, but I'm not sure what it is, because it's not prominent. I had no idea it was a gluten free beer when I bought, my grocery store had it up in with the Porter's in the mixed pak selection area. Thank goodness I only got one.

1.78/5  rDev -31.8%

When I first smelled this beer, I thought the smell was off like burnt rubber and sweet. When poured, the beer was an amber color with little to no head that disappeared quickly. The mouthfeel was very light and tasted watered down with sorghum flavors, but still lacking a lasting flavor that would make me want to drink. In this case, I wouldn't choose this beer to drink with a gluten allergy.

1.78/5  rDev -31.8%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

Redbridge is a very clear golden beer with a white head that fades to a thin film and leaves decent lacing. It has a faint, sweet, sorghum aroma with a note of grass. It's very light bodied and watery with a chalky finish. There's hardly any flavor at all. There's a light sweetness in the finish. It tastes like non alcoholic beer. Nothing to see here; move along.

1.88/5  rDev -28%

12oz bottle thanks to Arbitrator...I guess. Arbitrator described this as a "rare Portland tick." As Phil Collins would said, that was ALL A PACK OF LIES! This beer is not rare or from Portland, although it was indeed a tick. I was expecting DAVE and got this! Talk about your all-time disappointments.

Clear amber pour with a small off-white head that fades.

Old, sherry-like malty aroma. Slightly medicinal.

Big sherry flavor with a little caramel and a weird plasticky note. Not good.

Medium-light bodied with low carbonation level.

Not very good, and it certainly isn't Hair of the Dog Dave, dammit.

1.88/5  rDev -28%

When I first poured this beer, it formed a shallow layer of white head which dissapeared almost instantly. The look is a see-through brownish red which let me know right away that it will lack in flavor.

The smell is very sweet and dry with very little bitterness present.

It tastes very much like it smells and is much too sweet for my taste. When I think of beer, I think of something that at least has some bitterness and balance but this one is pure sweetness. It also leaves a fruity aftertaste which reminds me of applesauce. Really not a typical beer taste and not in a good way.

I was expecting something different and original and it sure was different but I will not be buying it again.

1.98/5  rDev -24.1%

I know this gluten-free and thus one of the only beers available for a myriad of people with certain medical conditions, in which gluten is a no no.

With that being said, I applaud A-B for making this beer. Reaching out to an otherwise beerless people.

However, it tastes bad. It reminds me of children's medicine. The sweetness seems really articfical.

Almost like a facade of beer. A shadow of beer. It is hard to drink, and that is my honest opinion.

This is the gluten-free beer I'd expect from a big brewer like Anheuser-Busch. It's a poor substitute even for an average lager, but if you can't drink lager, it's at least a low-cost option. Still it pales in comparison to Brunehaut, Green's or even American competitors like Off The Grid. The mouthfeel is strange, but the flavor is at least reminiscent of corn-based lager.

Redbridge from Anheuser-Busch