Redbridge - Anheuser-Busch

Anheuser-Busch visit their website
Missouri, United States

American Amber / Red Lager |  4.00% ABV

Beer added by: BeerBeing on 12-10-2006

Rich, hearty and full-bodied gluten-free lager brewed from sorghum. Redbridge has a distinctively fruity hop aroma, a sweet toasted grain flavor and a well-balanced, moderately
hopped finish.
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Redbridge Alström Bros
2.46/5  rDev -10.2%

Don't know why I'm drinking this. Poured into a pint glass. Pours a golden clear color. Almost honey. Ring of head. No lacing.

Aroma is weird. Has a funkiness to it. Don't know how to describe it. Weird maltiness.

Taste is the same. Has a tartness in the finish. And the flavors are weird. Don't know how to describe them.

Mouthfeel is light and nice carb.

Overall a weird beer. It's not like it's a drain pour just weird. Will probably never drink this one again.

2.46/5  rDev -10.2%

Part of a mixed six pack. Purchased one bottle out of curiosity to try. I was aware this is an AB product at the time of purchase.

Appearance: Initially I was not sure of the style so I poured it into a pint glass figuring it would be the best choice. Th beer is amber in color, clear, with a thin head. Head fades quickly and leaves no lacing.

Smell: A somewhat fruity scent on the first sniff (berries, which surpised me). A bit sweet smelling and lacks anything hoppy (no surprise).

Taste: Some of the aformentioned "berry-ness" in the flavor (not sure where this comes from), makeing this a little sweet, with no bitterness. I expected the beer to be a bit grainy, I got non of that.

Mouthfeel: Light in body with decent carbonation. I was not expecting a dark "heavy" beer, so I guess this falls in line.

Drinkability: OK, not worth purchasing unless you have too. Even then, if this is the best one can do, I'd skip drinking beer.

2.48/5  rDev -9.5%

Pours an amber gold with a thin sudsy head that disappears relatively quickly.

Smells of dry hops and an unfamiliar aroma of malt.

The taste is bland. There is a hint of smokiness in the aftertaste which is a nice surprise, but the hops don't come through in the taste at all. Has a bit of a mineral water taste to it. The absence of typical beer flavors is noticeable.

Mouthfeel is thick and the carbonation is coarse and sparse. Like there are less bubbles than normal but they are bigger.

An okay beer. I guess it would do the job if I could consume gluten since its a sorghum beer. Better than nothing. But let's just say I'm glad gluten doesn't bother me!

2.5/5  rDev -8.8%

Got this in at the shop a couple of weeks ago and I figured that, in the interest of customer service, I needed to try it. Pours a deep golden color topped by a finger of creamy off-white head that is pretty quick to vanish. Very still, almost no carbonation in the body. Aroma is a bit sweet - I guess that's what sorghum smells like. Palate is mildly sweet up front, then develops a dry, rather harsh bitterness that doesn't seem to come from any hops. Mouthfeel is a little dry and chalky, kind of odd.
I suppose if misfortune were to befall me and I were unable to drink beer brewed with malt, this would be an acceptable approximation. More likely, though, I'd stick with whisky.

2.5/5  rDev -8.8%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Smells and tastes a lot like bud. The yeast strain comes through along with the different malt flavor of sorghum and corn. It's not bad for an american adjunct lager made out of pure adjunct.

A) clear darker then most lagers

S) lager yeast and corn

T) average and palatable I imagine this to be the beer in 1984

M) thin

O) I would drink this again though it's boring

2.55/5  rDev -6.9%

My 1st industrial sorgrum beer, here goes (expectations are low)

Pours an effervescent bronze with 1 finger+ of eggshell white head. Above average lacing & a little bit of head retention

S: Very corny & slight perfumy notes

T: Honey notes along with some astrigency right up front. I also get a little orange hop note. I also pick up some clover honey& just a touch of molasess notes as this warms along with grainyness. Finishes dry, very grainy, grassy with more honey or maybe corn syrup is more accurate?

MF: Light & sprtizy. I also get a slight syruppy feel, starts to leave an unpleasant sensation on the roof of my mouth

The warmer this got, the harder it was to drink. This beer is a terrible amber, might've passed better as an American Macro. This beer makes me very glad I have no gluten issues!

2.57/5  rDev -6.2%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.5

12-oz bottle into nonic pub glass

A - 2 fingers off-white head over a crystal-clear body of amber, low amount of visible carbonation, not much to say about lacing on the glass or head retention

S - sweet grainy smell; not much to it

T - sugary sweetness up front, grassy hops move in, more sweetness in the finish

M - slick light/medium body, medium carbonation

O - I had never had a sorghum beer before--picked this one up for a gluten-free guest. I'm not too impressed. The taste is odd and it's a little on the watery side.

2.58/5  rDev -5.8%

Redbridge pours a light caramel color with a transparent body and an interesting nose that combines caramel and light molasses. There is virtually no head of foam on this beer and the small amount present disappears in less than one minute. The flavors I notice are that of light fruit, mostly apple; sugar, caramel; light cider; light hops; and light grain/bread. I'm not really a big fan of this, but I believe it was my first gluten free beer.

2.58/5  rDev -5.8%

Appearance: A Copperish bronze slightly yellowish. There is not much lace and has a little head.

Smell: Smells of cheap hops but at the same time sweet.

Taste: Sweet candy taste really fruity but hard to describe. The aftertaste is kind of flat. It is kind of like Turkish Delight.

Mouthfeel: Watery.

Drinkability: Not as bad as I heard but I don't plan on buying it again.

12oz brown bottle

Redbridge was an amber color with good clarity. It had a white head that quickly dissipated to a thin ring with very little lace. The aroma was light with a touch of hops. The taste when was not very appealing and reminded me of a bad batch of amber ale I brewed at home a couple years ago, sweet with a wierd twang. It was fairly light bodied with plenty of carbonation. Drinkability is poor due to the flavor. If you don't have celiac disease, avoid this beer, If you do, it may be worth a try.

2.59/5  rDev -5.5%

A- Pours a reddish orange. Head is of relatively poor quality.
S- Smell is not terrible, but it is very distant. Perhaps the least powerful aroma of any beer Ive encountered. Toasted grain, and distant hop aroma.
T- Taste is a slight improvement. Some sour and sweet notes to it. Toasted grain, very distant hoppiness.
M- Light with slick finish.
D- It's something of a reasonnable option for gluten intolerant people. Not a great beer by most standards, but it would be better than nothing and it certainly could be worse.

2.59/5  rDev -5.5%

A - dark gold in color. Extremely fizzy head that disappears quickly. No lacing at all. Visible carbonation. Poured out and looks like apple soda.

S - Very light smell. Not bad though. I pick up faint citric hops. Sour apple and mildew. Strange aroma. Don't know if this is bad or not.

T - Taste a bit like molasses and hops. What a weak taste. Not much going on at all.

M - Light bodied and sorta watery. Carbonation is a bit high. Just not enough body on it.

O - Not a very good beer. Its not horrible in the sense that it taste bad....just not good.

2.61/5  rDev -4.7%

Dark brown 12oz bottle. Covered bridge scenery on the red label.
Clear copper body with lots of carbonation. Creamy white head with some medium bubbles. Decent retention and lace.
Very mild scent, maybe some sourness to it.
Sweet initial flavor but jumps right into a sour aftertaste that is fairly unpleasant.
Medium body and some coating.
Not very drinkable.

look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

A poor friend with a stress induced gluten allergy gave me this to try. The poor girl generally has good taste in beer too.

a: This was a bright, clear, shining coppery amber color. It poured with a respectable frothy white cap.

s: Sweet grains with an and hard to place spicey element. There was a hint of grassy hops. Smells more adjunct-y than beer-y.

t: It is too sweet, but not as sweet as I expected it to be. I can't quite describe the sweetness having never tasted anything like it. Its almost like a candied spice I can't identify. There was also a trace of grassy hops.

m: The body and carbonation are both fine, but the lingering sweetness lowers the score a bit.

d: This was a good bit better than the Green's "Tripel" I tried, but I hope for her sake that her stress is short lived.

look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

A - Nice dark copper color, with an off white slightly foamy head that dissipated rather quickly. Some nice lacing.

S - Very faint, a little bit of earthy grains

T - A bit on the weak side, it felt a little bit watery at times.

M - Felt good in the mouth.

O - I don't have any gluten allergies, however, for people that do, this beer is surely a blessing.

2.64/5  rDev -3.6%

Another gluten free offering and it appears this one is made with sorghum as the sole grain, I hope this is better than the Green's Quest I had a while back. Pours a very light, crystal clear copper color with a nice, large light beige head that fades at an average clip and leaves some lacing on the glass. Not a bad looking beer at all.

Nose consists mainly of mild earthy and pine hops and a bit of sweetness, which I am assuming is a sorghum type aroma as I have no idea what malted sorghum smells like.

Taste is interesting, quite earthy with a fair amount of leafy hop flavor. There is definitely plenty of sweetness there, but it is not overly distracting. It has some grape flavors in it and lends itself a mild wine-like characteristic. Without the malted barley, it really loses quite a bit of the qualities that make a beer a beer. It is far removed from an amber ale, but I feel that I am rating this one more as a gluten free offering. Way better than the only other gluten-free beer I have had. Unfortunately, I think if I was intolerant to gluten, I would not drink any beer at all and probably stick to wine.

2.66/5  rDev -2.9%

This beer has the most bizarre odor. It smells like an empty grain silo. Flavor is actually not awful for a gluten-free beer, and is the best of the ones I've had. If I had a gluten allergy and I didn't succumb to a lack-of-beer-depression, I would drink this.

Appearance is a crystal clear light red. Head is present (a plus) although small and commercial looking. Flavor is faint and watery but lightly hoppy. Mouthfeel is slick and thin, like too warm public swimming pool water.

2.68/5  rDev -2.2%

Poured out as a reddish amber color with a fizzy white head on top. No head retention or lacing here. The Smell is different, it's not exactly grainy but I think I can tell that it has something in there since its gluten free. There are some yeast aromas and maybe a touch of hops but nothing else really. The taste of the beer is rather bland in my opinion, the flavors are earthy and nothing really pops out otherwise. The mouthfeel is arbonated and light bodied, drinkable but not really all that pleasing. Overall it was decent but nothing I would purchase in the future.

2.69/5  rDev -1.8%

This beer pours a deep copper in color with a mild white head. At first waft all I smell is a metallic note. I smell again and get a mild hit of green apple. The taste is very similar to the nose, quite mild however I do taste an apparent green apple flavor. The after taste is that of the bottle cap, metal! Body is light with a nice tingly effervescents. Not really for me but if you can't have wheat or barley, drink up!

2.69/5  rDev -1.8%

Bottle into Sam Adams glass.

Nice golden color. Hardly any head, what's there quickly disappears. Smells faintly of a little noble hop. The taste is grassy, carbonic, astringent. The astringency carries through to the aftertaste. The taste is bitter or acidic, in an unrefined sort of way. If I squint the right way or chug it without thought to the flavor it almost tastes like beer. Let it linger in your mouth for a moment, though, and you'll catch the full range of grass.

As it warms slightly, the biting carbonation reduces a little and it becomes more palatable.

2.71/5  rDev -1.1%

A: Pours a clear copper red with a two-finger tan head that fades to virtually nothing, leaving no lacing to speak of.

S: The nose is actually quite impressive. There's a rich toffee-like candy and an interesting yeastiness that almost hints at Belgium. No real hop aroma, but it smells much better than Bud ever did.

T: Most beers start sweet and then develop or not. This one starts with virtually no taste at all, then develops to a cloying artificial sweetness. Then an odd dryness kicks in just after the mid-palate. The finish returns to the cloying saccharine sweetness, which persists well into the aftertaste.

M: Light-to-medium bodied with light carbonation.

O: By now, I've had most of the major gluten-free beers (we have a friend with Celiac's, and as a brewer, I'm curious about sorghum-based beers). I truly do believe that the American lager styles simply don't work well for gluten-free. The Belgian styles I find to be better, and I believe that somebody can make a decent sorghum stout, but for some reason the market seems to be driven by people wanting a gluten-free Bud.

2.72/5  rDev -0.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.5

12oz bottle, one of those, 'oh hell, I guess I'll try it' grocery store mixed-six selections.

This beer pours a clear, bright medium copper amber colour, with one finger of loosely foamy, and mostly just fizzy dirty white head, which leaves a bit of some fat guy's cannonball splash lace around the glass as things slowly recede.

It smells of musty, floral, and faintly toasted grain (best way I can describe sorghum, I suppose), slightly off apple cider, further indistinct yeasty fruit esters, and some weak leafy, grassy hop bitters. The taste is grainy, lightly doughy, well, wet bread, dead flowers, fairly overripe apples, phenolic yeast, a hint of white pepper, a random cold medicine thing from when I was a kid, and very tame earthy, grassy hops.

The carbonation is quite light in its limited time offer frothiness, the body a so-so middleweight, and sort of smooth, the mixed and growing fruity sourness not doing anyone any favours here. It finishes off-dry, and verging on sweet - plain bready grain, and lingering yeasty fruit.

Yeah, this is certainly not as bad as I might have been expecting going in, as it bests Bards (another sorghum-only brew), but still falls short of agreeable in many other respects. The malt is too thin, the fruitiness overly musty, and the hops either unpleasant or way too under the radar. And now I know.

2.72/5  rDev -0.7%

Redbridge Gluten-Free Sorghum Beer from Anheuser-Busch, St. Louis, MO.

This beer had an odd taste, not necessarily awful, but not good, guessing it's the sorghum. Sweet up front and bitter at the end. Sweet smell.

I drank it out of a bottle from Kroger in Knoxville, TN on 12/21/2012 from a create your own 6-pack.

2.72/5  rDev -0.7%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

The bottle looks nice. I like the label, but it's a useless screw top.

It pours a clear thin amber colour with very little head that disappears pretty quick and leaves no lacing.

The aroma is almost medicinal and apple-like with some caramel sweet base to it with notes of fresh white bread. I can't get past the medicinal hint up front.

The taste is basically like a thin apple cider with some of that sorghum flavor that tastes a bit like licking an orange peel. There is a black peppery finish with some decent dryness.

Mouthfeel is thin with that familiar sorghum slimy feel on the tongue. It's overly carbonated and I think that lends to the medicine like smell and feel to this beer. It almost smells like when you open up a fresh band-aid or use that topical antiseptic Mercurochrome? Iodine maybe. Mixed with lysol. It's just not that good. After a Pliny the Elder I don't even want to drink this to tell the truth. I'm being hard on it though as I do believe that I have had one worse from New Planet.

Overall, average for a Gluten Free. If you class it with real ambers like they have it on Beer Advocate it would be pure sh!t. I'd only give it a 2 tops. But for a Gluten Free, a 3 out of 5.

2.73/5  rDev -0.4%

Poured a coppery-red. Nominal head. Vague aroma hinting at caramel and apple cider. Mouthfeel was thin and a bit watery. Caramel malt flavor that called to mind an ale made with canned malt and a Mr. Beer kit. A bit of apple-ish flavor in the background. Finish was clean to the point of being flavorless. While all of this sounds bad, overall, the beer was acceptable, just not good.

Redbridge from Anheuser-Busch