Redbridge - Anheuser-Busch

Anheuser-Busch visit their website
Missouri, United States

American Amber / Red Lager |  4.00% ABV

Beer added by: BeerBeing on 12-10-2006

Rich, hearty and full-bodied gluten-free lager brewed from sorghum. Redbridge has a distinctively fruity hop aroma, a sweet toasted grain flavor and a well-balanced, moderately
hopped finish.
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Redbridge Alström Bros
2.13/5  rDev -24.2%

Pours out to a thin bubbly white head and amber color. No real head retention to speak of. Aroma is berry, apple and a hint of A-B banana and hop-skunk. Flavor is wine-like, reminds me of sherry or muscadine but is is very faint with some rubbery, skunky hops in the finish. Nothing resembling malt or cereal grain is in this brew. Mouthfeel for a low-point beer is average. Overall, this is a different taste sensation more like a watered down melomel or a cider and not much like beer, unless you count bad beer. (514 characters)

2.12/5  rDev -24.6%

I don't believe it, but I'm actually reviewing an Anheuser-Busch beer. At least it's not Bud Light... but we'll see if I end up eating my words after this one.

A - body of the beer is exactly the color of apple juice, and just as clear. Lots of carbonation in this beer as evidenced by the streams of bubbles coming up the glass. Head is coarse white foam that fades quickly, but is replaced by a finer head from the bubbles rising from the bottom. No lacing.

S - Slightly sherry-like and medicinal. Hints of fruity cider and sweet hard candy.

T - Sweet, slightly tangy and fruity up front. Just sort of bland and flavorless as it moves over my tongue. Then its aluminum. An overwhelming taste and aftertaste of the vats this stuff was probably brewed in. Nearly undrinkable because of it.

M - Thin body. Overpowering carbonation. Clean finish.

Overall - still better than bud light. (888 characters)

2.2/5  rDev -21.7%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 2.5

This beer looks pretty much like a macro lager. Calling it an amber is a stretch to say the least. Retention was pretty decent though, all things considered.

The aroma is slight, with a hint of sweetness and an adjunct sort of smell.

The taste is just... strange. There's this weird sweetness that I guess comes from the sorghum and sweetener. It's palatable, but just strange and hard to like for me.

The mouthfeel kinda sucks. It's super creamy, though it looks bubbly in the glass. There's a dry, kinda soapy finish to it. It's not wildly pleasant.

It's drinkable, but if I was Gluten intolerant, I'd choose other forms of booze like hard liquor over this. In similar vein as NA beers, what's the point? (713 characters)

2.01/5  rDev -28.5%

This is the gluten-free beer I'd expect from a big brewer like Anheuser-Busch. It's a poor substitute even for an average lager, but if you can't drink lager, it's at least a low-cost option. Still it pales in comparison to Brunehaut, Green's or even American competitors like Off The Grid. The mouthfeel is strange, but the flavor is at least reminiscent of corn-based lager. (376 characters)

2.97/5  rDev +5.7%

Poured into a pint glass.

A - Deep caramel-amber color with a white head that dissipates really quickly. No residual head, though there is some carbonation rising from the bottom. No lacing to speak of. 2.5

S - Very sweet, fruity smell with a hint of breadiness. Smells a lot like freshly sliced honey wheat bread. 3.0

T - Again, really sweet and fruity with a little bit of bitterness that dissolves into more sweetness. A playful, yet hard to nail down kind of flavor. There's a hint of vinegary, apple cider like taste somewhere in the middle. Grassy, flowery aftertaste. I'm surprised to find that I don't dislike this beer at all...in fact, I think it's not too bad. 3.0

M - Moderately carbonated but not very thick. It could use more carbonation. 3.0

O - For a beer that's made with sorghum, I have to say that I'm pleasantly surprised by this beer. I had no clue as to what it would taste like or if it would be any good at all. It's...drinkable, and I think people with celiac would find it's a pretty good substitute for beer. I think it could use more carbonation, which would help carry the flavor and keep this beer more exciting as you drink it. The farther into the pint I get the more my tongue says to my brain "yeah, I get it." But that's a small criticism compared to the freedom this offers to those with celiac. 3.0 (1,340 characters)

3.4/5  rDev +21%

Came across this beer and was intrigued about the overall taste of this beer.
Pours to a pale brown color with a thin foam head.
Smell has hints of sweet bread and some fruity undertones.
Taste reveals more fruity flavors almost citrusy and balances them with the corn syrup it boasts to include.
This beer doesn't come across as extremely watered down and it delivers a well balanced flavor and little to no hoppiness. (421 characters)

1.56/5  rDev -44.5%

Pours a deep orange colour with a very thin head which disappears in seconds.

A very slight sweet smell but can't smell much at all.

Tastes slightly sweet a little bitter but not much going on.

Feels very carbonated and thin, similar to carbonated water.

Won't be buying this again, the worst of the gluten free beers I've tried. (333 characters)

3.03/5  rDev +7.8%

Enjoyed this 12oz bottle out of a stout glass.

A: Pours a dark clear golden with a thin, 2-finger, white head that quickly dissipates into a non-existent lace.

S: Pretty mild aroma. Some malts and grains but not much else.

T: Slightly fruity and tart flavor. Pretty sweet and finishes a little dry

M: Medium body and medium carbonation.

O: Interesting beer – picked this up because it intrigued me. It was decent but nothing that I would grab again. (456 characters)

2.5/5  rDev -11%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Smells and tastes a lot like bud. The yeast strain comes through along with the different malt flavor of sorghum and corn. It's not bad for an american adjunct lager made out of pure adjunct.

A) clear darker then most lagers

S) lager yeast and corn

T) average and palatable I imagine this to be the beer in 1984

M) thin

O) I would drink this again though it's boring (372 characters)

2.23/5  rDev -20.6%

A: Pours a light amber color with a head that fizzles out as quickly as it's poured

S: A pronounced metallic twang along with what I presume is the sorghum. Almost garbage-like... not very good

T: Same as the smell, only slightly better. Almost has a sour/acidic quality to it that actually adds to the profile, which is a good thing

M: Light bodied with over the top carbonation

O: Can I please have my wheat and/or barley back? Sorghum just doesn't cut it in the flavor department. Honestly, if I had a gluten allergy, I'd still stay clear of this beer. There are better alternatives that actually have taste and flavor besides pure sorghum. At least the big boys show some effort in making beer for those with such an unfortunate allergy as gluten, but it's not a very good one. People with these allergies can still taste, ya know (838 characters)

2.98/5  rDev +6%

Poured from a bottle into a pint glass. Color was caramel amber. Just about ¾ inches of head. Light lacing on the top that dissipated very quickly. No film on the sides.

Smelled iron, cereal notes, grains and corn. It really wanted to be a red, but it lacked a lot to do it.

Couldn’t figure out the taste, but my sister-in-law described it as sorghum. It had a syrupy finish. Some berries were in there, too.

Medium body. Average carbonation. The syrupy feel really wore on me. Slick texture I’d say. Abrupt finish.

Not a bad beer, but I obviously wouldn’t seek it out at a bar. (590 characters)

2.32/5  rDev -17.4%

Appearance:
Dark gold color, clear. Good amount of small bubbles rising up. Thin head.

Aroma:
Faint. Sweetness, red apple, hint of corn.

Taste/Finish/Body:
Some malts flavor, a little corn, buttery. Bitterness is very mild. Finish is super dry. Very light bodied, very dry, metallic, rough.

Overall:
It's a below average beer. (329 characters)

2.71/5  rDev -3.6%

A: Pours a clear copper red with a two-finger tan head that fades to virtually nothing, leaving no lacing to speak of.

S: The nose is actually quite impressive. There's a rich toffee-like candy and an interesting yeastiness that almost hints at Belgium. No real hop aroma, but it smells much better than Bud ever did.

T: Most beers start sweet and then develop or not. This one starts with virtually no taste at all, then develops to a cloying artificial sweetness. Then an odd dryness kicks in just after the mid-palate. The finish returns to the cloying saccharine sweetness, which persists well into the aftertaste.

M: Light-to-medium bodied with light carbonation.

O: By now, I've had most of the major gluten-free beers (we have a friend with Celiac's, and as a brewer, I'm curious about sorghum-based beers). I truly do believe that the American lager styles simply don't work well for gluten-free. The Belgian styles I find to be better, and I believe that somebody can make a decent sorghum stout, but for some reason the market seems to be driven by people wanting a gluten-free Bud. (1,097 characters)

2.78/5  rDev -1.1%

Served in a Walter Payton shaker pint glass.

My second gluten-free beer, following the somewhat surprising New Grist. Let's do this: It pours a clear brass topped by a half-finger of short-lived off-white foam. The nose is faint, comprising wheat, light caramel, and grass (as far as I can tell). The taste is a combination of fruity sweetness (mostly orange, but with a bit of white grape and pineapple syrup) and spicy grain (like pepper- and cardamom-laced wheat). A fakely sweet (think candy-style sugary here) twang hangs over the finish. The body is a very light medium, with a fizzy carbonation and a fairly dry finish. Overall, I can't say I enjoyed this beer, but I didn't hate it, either. The smell is almost nonexistent, the flavor combination is sorta confusing, and the body is too light and fizzy to really be enjoyable. That said, not much is actually offensive about this beer. I just know I don't want another one any time soon... (948 characters)

2.85/5  rDev +1.4%

poured from the bottle into a pint glass (style 2)

A - Pours a kind of goldish amber (about the color of very dehydrated urine) with perfect clarity. Hardly any carbonation rises to the 1-finger, off-white head. Head is just a thin ring of bubbles half way down the glass.

S - Sweet cereal grains and corn. Pretty much like bud.

T - Sweet cereal and corn upfront. The body has a sweet sort of stale corn taste that verges on unbearable as the beer warms. More corn grit as the beer passes over the back of the tongue to a sweet corn cereal finish. In a nutshell, similar to bud, but sweeter.

M - Slightly thicker than Bud light with minimal carbonation.

What Anheuser-Busch has done here is make a gluten-free version of Bud. While I do applaud their efforts for making a beer for this demographic (reflected in some slightly higher than deserved scores), one has to wonder: how much wheat and barely is there really in their other products?

With around one percent of the population afflicted with celiac disease, it would nice to see more brewers step up and brew gluten-free offerings. (1,097 characters)

3.23/5  rDev +14.9%

My first gluten free beer. If I had to go gluten free, this would probably be not that bad. Some flavor here, not the corn and rice mess that makes up most adjunct lagers. Still not that good a beer though.

Pours a crystal clear light amber color with a small bubbly white head, less than average retention and almost no lacing.

Smell is faint, a little sweet and floral.

Taste is not that bad. Not particularly strong but there is a floral sweetness and a bit of hops in the finish.

Mouthfeel is crisp but also very light.

On the whole, a pretty average beer. Lawnmower beer at best for someone that does not require gluten free. (635 characters)

3.03/5  rDev +7.8%

Redbridge has a thin, off-white head and a clear, amber-gold appearance, with lots of streaming bubbles and no lacing. The aroma is grassy and sweet. Taste is an odd combination of molasses, sweetness, grass, very slight hops, other neutral grains, and things I can't even describe. This is a weird one. Mouthfeel is light and watery, and Redbridge finishes crisp and clean. Overall, I might have to get used to this one, not that I'd ever have it again, but I rate it average. I guess it's okay for someone who can't have gluten. (530 characters)

1.44/5  rDev -48.8%

My first gluten free beer. Alright!

A: The pour on this beer is light orange-amber in color with a small white head.

S: Smells...strange. A strong aroma of menthol. There are certainly some bandaids mixed in there. A bit of grass and dry malt extract. Light popcorn to it as well as a touch of mint.

S: Tastes worse, somehow. Lots of green apple which gives a slight sourness, but not in a good way. Heavy on the popcorn with more bandaids and menthol. It tastes of wet paper or cardboard. Definitely a hint of rubber, too.

M: The body is light, very light, with medium carbonation.

O: I hate you Bobby. This was awful. (624 characters)

2.21/5  rDev -21.4%

Poured a meager 1/4" head which almost immediately disappeared completely. Looks like a clear glass of iced tea. I detect next to no smell, even after it warmed. Taste is a fairly standard BMC profile and they worked into it that slight zing in the aftertaste you get from the Anheuser family. There was also something I found hard to describe in the taste which in my notes I put down as "from a dirty glass" but which I think another better described as a hint of watered down maple syrup. All-in-all, if you can't have beer due to gluten allergies then I'm glad they made this for you. But if you don't have that kind of allergy then skip this for virtually any other real beer. (681 characters)

3.36/5  rDev +19.6%

Pours a light clear amber. Smells sweet and yeasty. Taste is sweet and mildly bitter. Mouthfeel is light and moderately carbonated.

Overall, this is not a good beer. It's better than most Anheuser-Busch products and it's much better than most gluten free beers. Having no allergies, it's not one I want to try again. (318 characters)

1.42/5  rDev -49.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

Got this bottle just for the heck of it because I was interested to taste a non-barley beer.
Pours a reddish golden color and looks pretty good. Looks can, unfortunately, be deceiving.
I really don't want to say bad things about this beer but looking at my tasting notes, there is one line that sticks out to me: I wrote "vinegar & watered-down maple syrup"
The smell and taste can be summed up in that statement.
Mouthfeel was very thin; too thin for me.
Overall I would say I hated this beer. If you cannot have gluten, you should definitely be a home-brewer if this is the type of beer there is on the market for you. (623 characters)

2.46/5  rDev -12.5%

Don't know why I'm drinking this. Poured into a pint glass. Pours a golden clear color. Almost honey. Ring of head. No lacing.

Aroma is weird. Has a funkiness to it. Don't know how to describe it. Weird maltiness.

Taste is the same. Has a tartness in the finish. And the flavors are weird. Don't know how to describe them.

Mouthfeel is light and nice carb.

Overall a weird beer. It's not like it's a drain pour just weird. Will probably never drink this one again. (468 characters)

2.59/5  rDev -7.8%

A - dark gold in color. Extremely fizzy head that disappears quickly. No lacing at all. Visible carbonation. Poured out and looks like apple soda.

S - Very light smell. Not bad though. I pick up faint citric hops. Sour apple and mildew. Strange aroma. Don't know if this is bad or not.

T - Taste a bit like molasses and hops. What a weak taste. Not much going on at all.

M - Light bodied and sorta watery. Carbonation is a bit high. Just not enough body on it.

O - Not a very good beer. Its not horrible in the sense that it taste bad....just not good. (558 characters)

2.61/5  rDev -7.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

A - Nice dark copper color, with an off white slightly foamy head that dissipated rather quickly. Some nice lacing.

S - Very faint, a little bit of earthy grains

T - A bit on the weak side, it felt a little bit watery at times.

M - Felt good in the mouth.

O - I don't have any gluten allergies, however, for people that do, this beer is surely a blessing. (361 characters)

3.07/5  rDev +9.3%

Poured into 10oz glass. Poured a clean, clear dark gold (much lighter than a Red/Amber should be) with about 1/4 inch of white head that no retention or lacing.

The aroma had a pleasant sweet earthiness to it and a bit of spiciness in the background. The flavors were the same, nothing special. The body was a bit thin. Drinkability was OK, but not notable. Overall, a surprisingly decent beer. It won't ever be my first choice, but, to quote my friend Amber"it's palatable". If you have a gluten intolerant friend steer them towards this. (540 characters)

Redbridge from Anheuser-Busch