Redbridge - Anheuser-Busch

poor

Anheuser-Busch visit their website
Missouri, United States

American Amber / Red Lager |  4.00% ABV

Rich, hearty and full-bodied gluten-free lager brewed from sorghum. Redbridge has a distinctively fruity hop aroma, a sweet toasted grain flavor and a well-balanced, moderately
hopped finish.

(Beer added by: BeerBeing on 12-10-2006)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Redbridge Alström Bros
1.5/5  rDev -42.5%

t0rin0, Aug 18, 2012

djrn2, Feb 22, 2014
2.5/5  rDev -4.2%

spycow, Jan 17, 2013

nmann08, Dec 14, 2011
2.85/5  rDev +9.2%

Bright orange-amber, comfortably favoring the former. It doesn't look as though sorghum is as good for head formation and retention as barley or wheat. The cap is dingy ecru and looks to be of poor quality. It's soft and unsticky, with no more than a few scraps of froth finding their way to the glass. The color of the beer is the only thing keeping the apperance score where it is.

On a good note, the nose is mildly toasted grain-like with a whiff of hops. On a not so good note, it's barely detectable at all. I'm in danger of dipping the tip of my nose each time I try to assess it. If Redbridge doesn't have more going for it on the palate, this will be a long twelve ounces.

Two thoughts. First, it'll take some doing to get my mind and my palate around the uniqueness of this gluten-free offering. Second, while I appreciate and applaud A-B's efforts to provide for those people who can't otherwise drink beer, I think it's only fair to judge it as I would any other amber ale. Just because it's arguably the best gluten-free beer on the planet doesn't necessarily mean that it's good beer.

Redbridge is more sour than it is sweet or bitter. It tastes like the brewers have managed to tamp down the worst tendencies of a grain that isn't ideally suited for the brewing of beer. It's still obvious to me that something other than the usual ingredients have been used. If they could have coaxed a little more sweetness out of the grain, or a little more flavor out of the hops, this would be a more enjoyable experience.

The mouthfeel is lighter than it should be for the style, yet there's a strange finishing slickness that seems out of place. A few too many finely fizzy bubbles results in a mildly annoying buzziness that doesn't calm down much in the bottom half of the bottle.

The fact that Redbridge isn't great beer probably matters not one whit to those with Celiac Disease or similar afflictions. At least it's better beer than Bard's Tale Dragon's Gold (partly because this is an amber ale and Gold is an American macro lager). For those of us fortunate enough to have other options, I believe the drinkablity score is as above. For those who have no other choice, add two points.

BuckeyeNation, Feb 19, 2007
3.28/5  rDev +25.7%

Yea, I fell for it. Glad to see A-B trying some experimental stuff. The beer reminds me of my first few batches of homebrew. Turned out overly malty (with something) spicy, and pepery. Sweetness and viscous similar to some other no-malt beers. I must say that this one seems better than them. Though the beer fell apart and the body turned out thin, the initial flavors show similar qualities to some Belgian malts, minus the yeasts. Overtly sweet well into the finish made it hard to drink late. A tacky feel on the palate with a heavy buttery feel. Not likely to try one again, but this session was not the expected disaster.

BEERchitect, Jan 17, 2007
3.15/5  rDev +20.7%

I picked this one up more as a novelty then anything else the last time I ran through total wine. I had seen this on shelves for a couple years, but had never gotten around to trying it, so I decided to give it a shot last night and see what it was about. I served the 12o bottle straight out of the fridge and poured it into a Pint glass. The pour was decent, with a bright, honey colored amber with amazing clarity and lots of carbonation bubbling up from the bottom of the glass. A good sized two finger head of white froth jumped up right after the pour, however it settled down rather quickly and I did not see much of it after that. Really did not leave behind much of anything.

The aroma was non existent, almost a touch ginger if you really looked for it, but mostly just dull grain and wheat and a touch of rice. Nothing really much going on here, the flavor was more of the same. Unfortunately it was just dull and boring, and that was quite a shame. Hints of rice and cereal grains, and a sickly sweet ginger soda like flavor were all that I could really make it from this one. A good bit of carbonation in it and as for a beer you could chug down in quantity, in that regards it was not half bad.

Overall this was a good alternative for people that cannot drink for dietary reasons, however for me, it was not a good alternative and I do not think I will be heading in this direction again. It was just too bland for me, nothing really going on with it. Could be worse though, and still better then ,most of the macro stuff you see.

mikesgroove, Jun 01, 2008
1.4/5  rDev -46.4%

My first gluten free beer. Alright!

A: The pour on this beer is light orange-amber in color with a small white head.

S: Smells...strange. A strong aroma of menthol. There are certainly some bandaids mixed in there. A bit of grass and dry malt extract. Light popcorn to it as well as a touch of mint.

S: Tastes worse, somehow. Lots of green apple which gives a slight sourness, but not in a good way. Heavy on the popcorn with more bandaids and menthol. It tastes of wet paper or cardboard. Definitely a hint of rubber, too.

M: The body is light, very light, with medium carbonation.

O: I hate you Bobby. This was awful.

womencantsail, Aug 09, 2011
2.68/5  rDev +2.7%

Poured out as a reddish amber color with a fizzy white head on top. No head retention or lacing here. The Smell is different, it's not exactly grainy but I think I can tell that it has something in there since its gluten free. There are some yeast aromas and maybe a touch of hops but nothing else really. The taste of the beer is rather bland in my opinion, the flavors are earthy and nothing really pops out otherwise. The mouthfeel is arbonated and light bodied, drinkable but not really all that pleasing. Overall it was decent but nothing I would purchase in the future.

Knapp85, Sep 03, 2012
1.3/5  rDev -50.2%

Appearance: Pours a lightly bubbly, crystal clear, light amber body with a thin, fizzy white head.

Smell: Ugh! Highly noxious and offensive, I guess I just can't stand the smell of sorghum. Dare I go on?

Taste: There's that sorghum again. Very chemically taste with some hints of spoiled cider. Positively wretched.

Mouthfeel: Light-bodied. Medium carbonation.

Drinkability: Those poor celiacs have enough problems without having to deal with this.

ChainGangGuy, Dec 02, 2007
2.8/5  rDev +7.3%

Served in a Walter Payton shaker pint glass.

My second gluten-free beer, following the somewhat surprising New Grist. Let's do this: It pours a clear brass topped by a half-finger of short-lived off-white foam. The nose is faint, comprising wheat, light caramel, and grass (as far as I can tell). The taste is a combination of fruity sweetness (mostly orange, but with a bit of white grape and pineapple syrup) and spicy grain (like pepper- and cardamom-laced wheat). A fakely sweet (think candy-style sugary here) twang hangs over the finish. The body is a very light medium, with a fizzy carbonation and a fairly dry finish. Overall, I can't say I enjoyed this beer, but I didn't hate it, either. The smell is almost nonexistent, the flavor combination is sorta confusing, and the body is too light and fizzy to really be enjoyable. That said, not much is actually offensive about this beer. I just know I don't want another one any time soon...

TMoney2591, Oct 03, 2011
2.5/5  rDev -4.2%

SocalKicks, Jul 01, 2013
2.48/5  rDev -5%

A - Poured out a clear amber color with no carbonation but a soapy, off-white, two-finger head. It left no lace.

S - It smelled of malt, I guess. I'm still struggling to think of any other smells it had at all.

T - It tasted of malt and a subtle spice, very subtle.

M - It was a little thin but still smooth. A light to medium-bodied beer.

D - This is an okay brew. It's way overpriced. Thank goodness I'm not allergic to wheat or barley.

zeff80, Jan 12, 2008
3.18/5  rDev +21.8%

I pulled a Redbridge from my fridge not knowing what it was. I poured it and was pleased with the appearance. Nice frothy white head... clear deep amber with golden highlights. I raised it to take a sip and noticed hops in the nose. Crisp... slightly elevated fine-bubbled carbonation. The flavor was a little odd, sweetish and kind of off-kilter, so I looked at the label... "Beer Made From Sorghum". Ahhh! That explains it then. OK. Hmmm. Not bad! My last Celiac beer, if I can call it that, was unimpressive, but this was good. There's a strong hop flavor upfront, grassy and spicy, that screams "BEER"! Beyond that it's malty; although I'm not sure if Sorghum is malted. I'd guess it is. It's the seed of a grass, just like barley. It's graininess is a touch rough and cardboard-ish (but not from oxidation), and it becomes sweet at the swallow. Unfortunately, it then becomes a bit astringent and harsh, lingering like that with bitterness and dully grassy and spicy hops for quite a bit. Still, I'd prefer this to almost all of the other Celiac beers I've had. For people with Celiac's disease, I'd highly recommend trying this one.

NeroFiddled, Jan 31, 2007
3.53/5  rDev +35.2%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A - Pours with a towering, three finger head of dense, white foam. The body is a clear, light copper color and the head settles slowly, leaving spotty lace on the glass.

S - A light, malty aroma with some spicy hops in the background.

T - Some lightly sweet, toasty malt up front with spicy hops. More hop character in the middle with more toasted grain character. The beer finishes very clean with just a hint of dry toast and some more spicy hop flavor.

M - Medium body, moderate carbonation, and a fairly dry finish.

D - Very, surprisingly good! This has a mild malt character, but this is really pretty impressive for a gluten free beer. More than that, there is a well balanced, mild but readily apparent spicy hop character that goes a long way towards adding depth to a relatively light beer. In the final analysis, this is an unusually good gluten free beer and it may actually be the most enjoyable AB product that I have tasted.

nickfl, May 22, 2011
3.35/5  rDev +28.4%

Appears a light toasted malt hue of amber caramel tones, head is slightly off white forms thick after a heavy pour large bubbles fizzy pour going on. Aroma has a faint sweetness with a touch of cascade hops going on mild citrus flow going on. Flavor actually isn't too bad a touch of candy caramel sweetness some rock candi sugar like notes as well but never cloying. Really plays well without any grains actual hop flavor I'm impressed not as bad as I was expecting and more affordable than the Green's line up. If I had celiac this beer would definitely do the trick if nothing else was a possibility on it's own I would drink this over Bud any day. Mouthfeel is light to medium in body definitely has a sturdy level of carbonation but it's not over done this is a well engineered beer. Drinkability overall, let me reiterate not bad enjoyable definitely better than a Budweiser, go for it.

WVbeergeek, Aug 30, 2008
2.8/5  rDev +7.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

Poured from a 12oz. bottle into a US tumbler pint glass.

A: The beer is a light brown color, with a short off-white head that fades quickly and leaves a thick lace on the glass.

S: The aroma is of tea, citrus, caramelized malts and a touch of hops.

T: The taste starts out with semi-sweet flavors of tea, caramel, spices and some citrus. Then there's a bitter bite that doesn't seem to come from the mild hops presence and there doesn't seem to have the best balance either. The after-taste is slightly bitter.

M: Crisp but not very smooth, medium body, medium carbonation, finish is clean.

D: Not very tasty, goes down ok, not too filling, mild kick, decent representation of style, there are definitely several other organic beers that I would pick before this one.

TheManiacalOne, Oct 06, 2009
2.53/5  rDev -3.1%

My 1st industrial sorgrum beer, here goes (expectations are low)

Pours an effervescent bronze with 1 finger+ of eggshell white head. Above average lacing & a little bit of head retention

S: Very corny & slight perfumy notes

T: Honey notes along with some astrigency right up front. I also get a little orange hop note. I also pick up some clover honey& just a touch of molasess notes as this warms along with grainyness. Finishes dry, very grainy, grassy with more honey or maybe corn syrup is more accurate?

MF: Light & sprtizy. I also get a slight syruppy feel, starts to leave an unpleasant sensation on the roof of my mouth

The warmer this got, the harder it was to drink. This beer is a terrible amber, might've passed better as an American Macro. This beer makes me very glad I have no gluten issues!

russpowell, May 25, 2007
3.28/5  rDev +25.7%

The beer pours an amber color with a towering offwhite head that quickly fades to lacing. The aroma is average. It has a very dry lager yeast scent with little "malt" or hop aroma; yes I know this is made with sorghum. The taste is decent. It has a smooth "amber lager" taste that goes down easy, but it finishes way too dry for my liking. The mouthfeel is decent as well. It is a medium bodied beer with good carbonation. I love the idea here, but the end result isn't very attractive. It's one and done for me.

WesWes, Mar 26, 2007
1.75/5  rDev -33%

DrunkinYogi, Aug 11, 2014
2.25/5  rDev -13.8%

orangesol, Mar 08, 2013
2.75/5  rDev +5.4%

wrightst, Jun 02, 2014
3.18/5  rDev +21.8%

Had a bottle from a mixed case recently. In the world of gluten-free beers, Redbridge is certainly blander than the rest, but it's also the most drinkable. I often find there's a cloying sweetness in a lot of the celiac beers, but this simply resembles a light amber ale. I guess considering the source and style, this isn't a half bad beer.

tempest, Feb 09, 2009

Pours a light amber with a short white head that dissipates pretty quick. Smells slightly sweet like a cross between maple syrup and light molasses. Fairly faint, but not unpleasant. The taste is similarly sweet, but surprisingly restrained. There is also a slight bitterness that balances the sweetness. Comes off as quite a bit more flavorful than the common AB product. Medium to light body, not overcarbonated. Fades as it warms, definitely one to drink fairly quickly. Surprisingly okay for a sorghum beer. I am not a celiac, but I very much appreciate their difficulty and I think that AB should be commended for bringing to market such an important product that still tastes reasonably like a beer.

Georgiabeer, Jan 28, 2007
2.95/5  rDev +13%

I got this from a buddy and didn't even have a glass at the time so I tried it from the bottle.

Aroma: I definitely agree with GreenCard on the dill pickle. Wow is that distinct. There is also a sweet sugary smell.

Taste was very interesting. Not like any other American Reds I have had. Very sugary and molasses-like.

Mouthfeel was a little on the crisp side, but not to bad. Low carbonation.

Overall, this was a very unique beer. I am glad I got it from a buddy as I would be disappointed if I had bought it, as it wasn't something that pleased me. I still have a nasty aftertaste left in my mouth.

mothman, Apr 08, 2009