Redbridge - Anheuser-Busch

Anheuser-Busch visit their website
Missouri, United States

American Amber / Red Lager |  4.00% ABV

Beer added by: BeerBeing on 12-10-2006

Rich, hearty and full-bodied gluten-free lager brewed from sorghum. Redbridge has a distinctively fruity hop aroma, a sweet toasted grain flavor and a well-balanced, moderately
hopped finish.
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Redbridge Alström Bros

I received a bottle as a birthday gift. I'd never heard of a sorghum based beer, thought it sounded interesting.

Poured a very light reddish amber color with a decent amount of off white head and some lacing.

The smell is of malt and sorghum, somewhat sweet, but not overpowering.

The taste is different... a little hoppy at the beginning with a decent finish, but a sweet taste.

Mouth feel is thin with a little bit of carbonation.

Drinkability is average. Not a bad drink, but not one I'd go out and purchase.

2.58/5  rDev -5.8%

Appearance: A Copperish bronze slightly yellowish. There is not much lace and has a little head.

Smell: Smells of cheap hops but at the same time sweet.

Taste: Sweet candy taste really fruity but hard to describe. The aftertaste is kind of flat. It is kind of like Turkish Delight.

Mouthfeel: Watery.

Drinkability: Not as bad as I heard but I don't plan on buying it again.

2.24/5  rDev -18.2%

For me, a life without beer would be a tribulation worthy of a Dante canto, but for more than 3 million Americans that is a very real prospect. According to research done by the University of Chicago, on average 1 out of every 133 people is afflicted with Celiac disease. Celiac disease is an autoimmune disorder which affects the small intestine after the consumption of the protein found mainly in cereal grain, such as barley, wheat, rye, and oats. Lamentably some of the very same ingredients used to make beer.

There is hope however. Recently a number of brewers have started producing a gluten-free, or gluten-minimal alternative to traditional beer. These brewers are using flour from the gluten-free sorghum plant instead of the typical cereal grains used for centuries in brewing.

In December 2006 brewing giant Anheuser-Busch released Redbridge, their entrant into the gluten-free arena. Since its release, Redbridge has enjoyed the saturating distribution of many other A-B products and is now available at most grocery stores, and other beer retailers.
Since this is my first foray into gluten-free beers, I don't have much to compare it with, but this is actually better than I thought it would be.

The beer is a nice bright amber color, with a sparking head and a sweet malty smell. the taste is, well, unusual. Redbridge has a light body and a sweet kick. The yeast adds an almost Belgian-style spice flavor, and there is a slick aromatic kick of hops right at the finish. The thing that is a little unnerving, is the vaguely sour, green-apple flavor that tips into the aftertaste. That takes some getting used to. I don't hate this, in fact, I probably like it better than Anheuser-Busch's powerhouse, Budweiser, but really that's not saying much.

A man can not live on gluten alone, but I probably won't actively seek this one out again. For those with Celiac Disease, or others with a gluten-free diet that couldn't normally partake in a beer this is a nice alternative.

1.28/5  rDev -53.3%

This is not an amber or red lager...This is an awful foul tasting specialty grain sorghum beer. Poured clear copper with little head that disappeared fast. Very little smell and what little there was, smelled of a kind of non alcoholic beer type maltiness. (Think Kaliber) Wow, taste is bland, and an immediate watery finish. This has no redeeming qualities other than not being made with barley, I guess, if you're allergic. Avoid like the plague.

A - Poured a light amber color with an off white head

S - Is mostly of sweet malt scents

T - Is more of the same sweet malt with a caramel flavor

M - This is a medium bodied beer with decent carbonation

D - This is pretty much just an average beer this could be a session beer if choices are slim. Its the first gluten free beer that I've had and its not bad its just average.

2.85/5  rDev +4%

I'm still waiting for someone to make a sorghum based beer that has some sense of character. I know several people who enjoy beer, but then found out they were allergic to wheat and barley. I think those people deserve something that isn't so generic tasting. Redbridge is certainly drinkable, but I won't be going out of my way to try more.

A: An orangeish amber beer. Has a similar appearance to other sorghum beers I've tried. Fizzy head that dissipates quickly and leaves not lacing on the glass.

S: Slight hop smell with a hint of malty sweetness. Not bad, but has no complexity.

T: Sorghum will never taste like barley in my opinion. Still, this beer isn't bad. There is a slight citrus sweetness, with a hint of lemon. Hop bitterness is very subtle.

M: Fizzy mouthfeel. Feels over carbonated, even though there aren't many bubbles in the glass. Not much going on otherwise.

D: Drinkable enough. I'd be willing to drink it again if it were presented to me. I wouldn't buy it for myself, however.

2.41/5  rDev -12%

A - Poured out a clear amber color with no carbonation but a soapy, off-white, two-finger head. It left no lace.

S - It smelled of malt, I guess. I'm still struggling to think of any other smells it had at all.

T - It tasted of malt and a subtle spice, very subtle.

M - It was a little thin but still smooth. A light to medium-bodied beer.

D - This is an okay brew. It's way overpriced. Thank goodness I'm not allergic to wheat or barley.

2.77/5  rDev +1.1%

12 oz brown bottle.
Many codes printed on the bottle and label, but no clear feshness info, though I am reminded to "PLEASE RECYCLE."

a: A big frothy white head quickly gives way to a thin white layer of bubbles.
Clear copper color, average retention, no lacing.

s: Very mild smell of sweet malt with a hint of hops.

t: Light flavor of caramel, I guess from the sorgum, maybe some honey with a mild hop flavor towards the end. As I consume more of it, I pick up some odd cidery flavors.

m: Light body, average carbonation, farely smooth.

d: Seems like a slightly tweaked version of budweiser.
Its an ok beer, maybe even a good beer given the restrictions it is operating under. Of course taking barley out of budweiser isn't that big a step, its mostly rice and corn anyway.
If I couldn't consume barley or wheat beers and this was my only choice I would be quickly frustrated and move to wine, but it seems like more beers are being created for this segment of the population.
I won't be buying it again.

3.6/5  rDev +31.4%

The pour was a nice copper/red with a two finger head that quickly dissapated to a thin white ribbon on top of the beer.

The smell was heavy in hop spice with a slight sweetness in the back of the nose.

The drink started with a sweet caramel like kick with a thin wattery middle and a slight non-lingering hop kick at the end.

Quite drinkable and refreshing. Went really well with a nice steak and shrimp dinner.

2.61/5  rDev -4.7%

Dark brown 12oz bottle. Covered bridge scenery on the red label.
Clear copper body with lots of carbonation. Creamy white head with some medium bubbles. Decent retention and lace.
Very mild scent, maybe some sourness to it.
Sweet initial flavor but jumps right into a sour aftertaste that is fairly unpleasant.
Medium body and some coating.
Not very drinkable.

3.05/5  rDev +11.3%

Appearance: Amber-gold color with a golden white head.

Smell: syrupy sweet with subdued hops.

Taste: Thinned out toffee flavors with a mild smokiness and low bitterness. It is had to pin down the flavors in this brew. It is like a beer without its backbone.

Mouthfeel: Light with a strange effervescent quality

Drinkability: Interestingly different, but not something I will seek out again.

3.45/5  rDev +25.9%

Pours a brilliant, bright copper in color, topped with a two fingered off white head of average duration. Lacing is evident in the glass, and is fairly significant, making for a visually appealing presentation.

The nose is fairly robust and rich, malty even (although no barley malts were used in the process). My immediate impression is of a Märzen: light toffee notes and a faint impression of honey immediately after decanting.

Almost sweet on the first sip but lightly tangy as well, and with an even balance of good and "interesting" fruit and vegetable notes. I'm getting something like a cross between the lycopene of a tomato and the earth husk of a gourd, which is not unpleasant, just interesting. There are also fruity esters (citric-orange) and light honey notes. There are also light anise notes and a lightly cidery, vinuous character. Interesting . . .

On the palate it's a bit soft and lightly brisk, barely coating the tongue with a semi-sweet maltose/dextrose-like character. Sweet honey notes linger in the aromatic portion of the palate, along with a light vegetal character.

Drinkability is considerably better than I'd expected, although the seems nothing like a lager, bearing more of the characteristics of an ale. Altogether I'd say that it makes for a good tipple at the end of a long day. On the other hand I am not affected by celiacs disorder, and those who are might prefer a more readily-available Bud Light. But I'll raise one in Anheuser-Busch's name for doing their part to do some good for a growing market segment.

1.32/5  rDev -51.8%

Appearance: Pours a lightly bubbly, crystal clear, light amber body with a thin, fizzy white head.

Smell: Ugh! Highly noxious and offensive, I guess I just can't stand the smell of sorghum. Dare I go on?

Taste: There's that sorghum again. Very chemically taste with some hints of spoiled cider. Positively wretched.

Mouthfeel: Light-bodied. Medium carbonation.

Drinkability: Those poor celiacs have enough problems without having to deal with this.

I've read about this beer and decided that I wanted to try it. Pours a light amber color with a thin head. Aroma is sweet and fruity with some hop essence showing through. Taste is very sweet, fruity and smooth. Hops show well with this type of beer for some reason. There's almost a bubble gum/fruit taste that dominates though.

I wouldn't classify it as a traditional American Amber Ale though. It's made with Sorghum and should be classified separately, similar to how wheat beers are classified. Very drinkable though and if I had Celiac disease, I would probably drink this beer. It's different but it doesn't make me want to pour it down a drain so that's a good thing.

2.92/5  rDev +6.6%

This beer poured a brillianttly clear copper color. I would expect nothing less from the scientists at AB. I failed to notice any aroma whatsover with the beer.
It is simply not there. Taste was okay, kinda fizzy, beer like. There are some hops int here somewhere. I can faintly pick up a bitterness. It's faint but there.
Extremely drinkable for a gluten free product. Richer "malt like" profile then any of the other GF beer sI have tried so far. It's certainly worth a try.

2.69/5  rDev -1.8%

This beer pours a deep copper in color with a mild white head. At first waft all I smell is a metallic note. I smell again and get a mild hit of green apple. The taste is very similar to the nose, quite mild however I do taste an apparent green apple flavor. The after taste is that of the bottle cap, metal! Body is light with a nice tingly effervescents. Not really for me but if you can't have wheat or barley, drink up!

The beer pours reddish amber with a modest white creamy head with the lace a fine coating upon the glass. Nose is all malt, well a very slight hint of hops, crisp and clean. Start has a pleasant malt profile; sweet with a tinge of bitterness at the back, top is light to moderate in feel. Finish has a determined acidity, the hops very mild but present and accounted for, somewhat sweet, quite dry aftertaste, not a total drain pour, but did not appeal to me, but there certainly could be an audience.

3.3/5  rDev +20.4%

I found this in the back of the fridge the other night and decided to down it to make room for some other stuff in my stash.

Poured a amber color with a small head that fell quickly leaving a little lace but not much. There wasn't a ton of nose on this..but you could smell some of the molasas and a hint of the hops. Taste and mouthfeel were both decent, had a good sweetness to it with a non-offensive amount of hops, just not very complex at all.

Overall I'd say that it isn't a bad beer at all..and if somebody handed me one I'd drink it and thank them for it, but I wouldn't seek it out for myself

3.2/5  rDev +16.8%

Copper/amber coloured beer, small pure white head. sourish vinegar like aroma, reminds me of apple cider Again a weak apple cider flavour,but for some reason iits refreshing, well carbonated and slightly bitter after the sour. Nice enough mouthfeel. Not too bad at all..this is my second sorghum based brew and i like them well enough.

3.56/5  rDev +29.9%

Purchased at Papago Brewing in Scottsdale, I wanted to try the gluten-free offering despite a usual aversion towards Anheuser products. Pours a good shade for an Amber ale, very clear, moderate carbonation, with minimal head that dissipates quickly. The aroma is sweet and candy like, I can't be as specific as I want here, there's something particular its reminding me of. Other than that, it seems minimal, and could be bolder (I think that about lots of amber ales though).

Taste is a little odd, but doesn't seem like there's something missing. There's definitely that candy sweetness, not exactly like a Belgian candi sugar, but there's something there. A little woody taste. I think I'm getting some grassy hop flavor, but I'd like a little more from the hops.

Mouthfeel is fine, a little dry. Drinkability is good, even for an amber ale, I could drink a few of these. Sorghum or not, its one of A-B's better beers.

2.46/5  rDev -10.2%

Part of a mixed six pack. Purchased one bottle out of curiosity to try. I was aware this is an AB product at the time of purchase.

Appearance: Initially I was not sure of the style so I poured it into a pint glass figuring it would be the best choice. Th beer is amber in color, clear, with a thin head. Head fades quickly and leaves no lacing.

Smell: A somewhat fruity scent on the first sniff (berries, which surpised me). A bit sweet smelling and lacks anything hoppy (no surprise).

Taste: Some of the aformentioned "berry-ness" in the flavor (not sure where this comes from), makeing this a little sweet, with no bitterness. I expected the beer to be a bit grainy, I got non of that.

Mouthfeel: Light in body with decent carbonation. I was not expecting a dark "heavy" beer, so I guess this falls in line.

Drinkability: OK, not worth purchasing unless you have too. Even then, if this is the best one can do, I'd skip drinking beer.

Jeesh, quite the trial brew here or what? I would think they could come up with some better ideas than this.

A bit amber in color, but not enough so. A bit "red" in the taste, but not enough so. A bit better than most of their offerings in the body and mouthfeel, but not enough. And it leaves a strange aftertaste. Really not sure what to make of this one, but I know I dont like it. It has an oddly dry and maybe fruity aftertaste. Something just doesnt match up well in this one.

They might be slowly headed in the right direction with a beer like this, but theres a lot of room for progress yet.

3.4/5  rDev +24.1%

Not something you'd expect from AB.A pretty drinkable beer with a slight fruity aftertaste.This beer almost reminds of Sam Adams cherry wheat,although there is no wheat in the beer.I would recommend this to my friends and I definetly will be buying again!!

3.41/5  rDev +24.5%

poured a light copper color with moderate foamy white head.Good retention and lacing.
Smell is light and almost undetectable.
Taste is enjoyable, but not great. The beer has a nice fruity sweetness but also a bit of an astringent texture.
Leaves a strange taste in the mouth. Great really bad, but not good either.
If this was all I could drink I could used to yet, but I have other choices.

2.23/5  rDev -18.6%

Serving Type: 12 oz bottle

Appearance: A light copper w/ reddish hues. No head to speak of and no lacing

Smell: Doughy yeast, an odd berry flavour. Odd....

Taste/Mouthfeel: Odd....overly sweet(Cherries?) w/ a very poor aftertaste. Leaves a almost syrup feel in your mouth. Sweet....but not in a good way. A very odd taste that is nothing to impressive

Drinkability: Nope...won't try again. WAY to odd of a feeling at the end of the drink. The taste seems off and the mouthfeel just lingers in a very bad way

Redbridge from Anheuser-Busch