Redbridge - Anheuser-Busch

Anheuser-Busch visit their website
Missouri, United States

American Amber / Red Lager |  4.00% ABV

Beer added by: BeerBeing on 12-10-2006

Rich, hearty and full-bodied gluten-free lager brewed from sorghum. Redbridge has a distinctively fruity hop aroma, a sweet toasted grain flavor and a well-balanced, moderately
hopped finish.
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Redbridge Alström Bros
2.76/5  rDev -1.8%

12 ounce bottle.

Pours a bright clear medium amber. Moderate head, minimal lacing. Heads dissipates rapidly.

Smells like beer, an accomplishment for fluten free brewing. A little bready, a little hoppy-earthy.

Thin, clean, uninteresting, unimpressive. Finishes with a nice earthy hoppy spiciness, but that's about the only good thing about the clean, boring, thin taste.

Mouth is sort of tingly, a little warm/spicy, but only average interesting.

Having had just about every other gluten free beer on the market, and many AB 'specialty' products, this is a deeply mediocre offering. From a company that could, if it gave half of a shit about quality, turn out truly great products, it's horribly disappointing. From a company that is continuously trying to reacquire market share, it's horribly predictable.

The fact that it tastes essentially like Bud is impressive, but also sad.

This beer, on balance, is sad. (939 characters)

3.53/5  rDev +25.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

This makes a nice clear amber pour with a moderate head of foamy froth, accompanied by decent lacing. Sweet, grainy aroma with a light touch of hops. Moderately sweet grainy taste as well, with a decent amount of bitterness. There is an odd aftertaste, which I guess might be the sorghum. It isn't unpleasant... just odd. Medium body with a neutral texture.

Not that bad a beer. It'd easily pass as a generic red/amber beer at many microbreweries. For people with celiac syndrome, an easily available, nationwide brew must be a great thing. (543 characters)

3.25/5  rDev +15.7%

The beer pours an amber color with a towering offwhite head that quickly fades to lacing. The aroma is average. It has a very dry lager yeast scent with little "malt" or hop aroma; yes I know this is made with sorghum. The taste is decent. It has a smooth "amber lager" taste that goes down easy, but it finishes way too dry for my liking. The mouthfeel is decent as well. It is a medium bodied beer with good carbonation. I love the idea here, but the end result isn't very attractive. It's one and done for me. (512 characters)

3.72/5  rDev +32.4%

Pale amber in color, thin wispy foam which has decent retention. Very clear with plenty of carbonation. The aroma has a nice balance of sweet caramel malt and a decent leafy hoppiness, clean and inviting.

The taste is not overwhelming, just a simple dose of toasty malt and clean hops leaving a slight bitterness to round thngs out. Light body but definitely not thin or watery.

I certainly had low expections for this beer, so it suprised me when I actually thought it wasn't bad. There is enough flavor here to keep it interesting and everything is well balanced. If you were curious to try a gluten-free beer this one is readily available and not bad at all... (671 characters)

2.25/5  rDev -19.9%

Pours a three finger white head that vanishes leaving no lace. Crystal clear amber color. Strong carbonation and medium bodied. Hoppy nose. Flavor has a hop sharpness, sweetness in background. Drying soapy aftertaste. Glad I bought only one bottle. $1.50 for a 12oz bottle from Capitol Convenience Concord, NH. (310 characters)

2.91/5  rDev +3.6%

The small head dies pretty quickly, although never totally disappearing. Color is a reddish-gold with good clarity.

Aroma is doughy with a light sweetness. Subtle, but almost too subtle...a really faint aroma.

Flavor is bready and sweet, and it's a peculiar sweetness too. Some caramel in the back, and only light hop presence. Flavor seems to have some holes in it, it's never fully "there". Finish is bitter/sour, rather candylike, and this is the most interesting aspect of this beer.

If you've got a gluten allergy, this would certainly do. But it's not exceptional, and there's little fullness to the flavors and no real depth. Drinkable for sure, not a drain pour, but not much happening otherwise. (713 characters)

3.28/5  rDev +16.7%

Poured from the bottle into a pint glass, beer is a light copper-amber color with a thick, foamy head. Smell is slightly sweet, a slight amber presence with a bit of earthy hops. Tastes like an average red, decently bittered... not bad. The mouthfeel is light-medium bodied with a foamy carbonation. This is a decently drinkable beer, I was surprised to find that it wasn't too bad. I would buy this over Bud, which isn't saying much but it is a step up. I can't imagine not being able to drink the wide variety of beers available because although not bad, this beer is no substitute. (584 characters)

2.04/5  rDev -27.4%

Little to no head atop this amber-hued, listless body. Hmmm, not a good start.

Slightly sugary scent with mildly bitter aromatics. Smells like a decent amber although I still am waiting for the bottom to drop out with a gluten-free beer...

...and it does. Bitter in all the wrong ways as if it weren't so much a product of hopping but of something gone awry. Musty and artificially sweet at once, not a pretty site.

Mouthfeel is actually the worst part of this beer. It manages to be sticky-feeling without being viscous, mouth-puckering without being hoppy. Very poor in this area.

Not enjoyable at all for me although it is hard for me to hate this beer outright as A-B is trying to give an alternative to those who must/desire to mainatin a gluten-free diet. For that I commend them although I for one consider myself fortunate to have no such restrictions upon my diet after trying this. (903 characters)

3.11/5  rDev +10.7%

Appearance: Sharply clear reddish golden color, with a moderate off-white head, thick scattered lacing, and slight slow-rising carbonation.

Aroma: Herbal hops dominate the aroma, with slight toasted grain beneath. The hop presence is not really that pronounced, rather, the aroma offers little else.

Taste: Sharp hops at the open, remarkably so for an Anheuser-Busch product. Moderate caramel-like sweetness follows, the taste then draws to a close with a wave of rather aggressive hops, with both metallic and pine tar flavors lingering well past the close.

Mouth feel: Smooth and fairly full, pleasant.

Drinkability/notes: Rather unremarkable, although for those with Celiac disease, this is one of a very few options, but is, at best, mediocre.

Presentation: Packaged in a twelve-ounce brown glass long neck bottle with a twist-off crown, served in a standard pint tap glass. (883 characters)

3.13/5  rDev +11.4%

2nd "Sorghum" beer I've tried. Poured a light amber, with very little bubbles and a good lace, smelled faintly like a can, a little alcohol, not much else, other than a note of soap suds? Okay. Mouth was very watery but there was a bitterness and a a little thickness to this, not bad. Taste, well, I'll be. it's pretty good. It's along the lines of Yuengling, some hops bite and and a decent profile for the alcohol, a small bit of metallic and a strong toasty malt flavor.

Very good AB. I'd say this is better than most your stuff, refreshing. Not something I'd get again, but I respect this for what it is. (613 characters)

3.18/5  rDev +13.2%

A - deep golden-orange, just shy of amber. Perfectly clear with a thin head that leaves no lace, despite the strong carbonation observed adhering to the sides of the glass.

S - slight maple syrup, soft floral note. Neither is very strong.

T - mildly medicinal initial taste followed by a broad bitterness that balances nicely with the maple sweetness. Warm alcohol heat finishes the drink.

M - Not a lot of body, quite fizzy.

D - I might cross the street for one of these beers, but it would depend on the number of lanes. (534 characters)

3.55/5  rDev +26.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

I only paid $7.95 for a six-pack of this at my local North Coast Coop here in Eureka, CA. IF you need gluten-free beer this seems like a good price for something so specialized. It poured a clear amber with a nice white head that left almost no lacing. Nose of malts and hops. Mouthfeel is somewhat rich and finish is dry. For an AB product this is actually pretty decent. (372 characters)

3.82/5  rDev +35.9%

Picked this up out of curiosity about what sorghum beer might taste like. Didn't even think of the fact it might have been made for people for celiac disease until I saw people mention it here. Good to know they can have a beer too.

And, to be honest, it's not a half bad one. Smells a bit weird, sorta like someone brewed beer from a bowl of raisin bran, with quite a few more hops than I ever expected AB to put in a beer.

I actually rather like this stuff. Might give it another try later. (499 characters)

1.98/5  rDev -29.5%

I know this gluten-free and thus one of the only beers available for a myriad of people with certain medical conditions, in which gluten is a no no.

With that being said, I applaud A-B for making this beer. Reaching out to an otherwise beerless people.

However, it tastes bad. It reminds me of children's medicine. The sweetness seems really articfical.

Almost like a facade of beer. A shadow of beer. It is hard to drink, and that is my honest opinion. (464 characters)

2.83/5  rDev +0.7%

Bright orange-amber, comfortably favoring the former. It doesn't look as though sorghum is as good for head formation and retention as barley or wheat. The cap is dingy ecru and looks to be of poor quality. It's soft and unsticky, with no more than a few scraps of froth finding their way to the glass. The color of the beer is the only thing keeping the apperance score where it is.

On a good note, the nose is mildly toasted grain-like with a whiff of hops. On a not so good note, it's barely detectable at all. I'm in danger of dipping the tip of my nose each time I try to assess it. If Redbridge doesn't have more going for it on the palate, this will be a long twelve ounces.

Two thoughts. First, it'll take some doing to get my mind and my palate around the uniqueness of this gluten-free offering. Second, while I appreciate and applaud A-B's efforts to provide for those people who can't otherwise drink beer, I think it's only fair to judge it as I would any other amber ale. Just because it's arguably the best gluten-free beer on the planet doesn't necessarily mean that it's good beer.

Redbridge is more sour than it is sweet or bitter. It tastes like the brewers have managed to tamp down the worst tendencies of a grain that isn't ideally suited for the brewing of beer. It's still obvious to me that something other than the usual ingredients have been used. If they could have coaxed a little more sweetness out of the grain, or a little more flavor out of the hops, this would be a more enjoyable experience.

The mouthfeel is lighter than it should be for the style, yet there's a strange finishing slickness that seems out of place. A few too many finely fizzy bubbles results in a mildly annoying buzziness that doesn't calm down much in the bottom half of the bottle.

The fact that Redbridge isn't great beer probably matters not one whit to those with Celiac Disease or similar afflictions. At least it's better beer than Bard's Tale Dragon's Gold (partly because this is an amber ale and Gold is an American macro lager). For those of us fortunate enough to have other options, I believe the drinkablity score is as above. For those who have no other choice, add two points. (2,212 characters)

3.37/5  rDev +19.9%

This is my first Gluten free beer, found it at Wal-Mart. Rather costly at over $7.00 a six-pack, but I had to try it.

There is a nice golden, slightly amber hued, color to the beer placing it in the catchall category of American Amber/Red Lager. The head is white and frothy with moderate stability, as it never disappears. However, there is not the lacing I expected from the quality of hops used. The beer is rather carbonated, even for a lager.

The nose is very nice the premium hops used really take over. The imported Hallertau and domestic Cascade hops combine to give a great rounded hop profile. First the Nobel floral Hallertau and then oily, dank piney Cascades fill the nose. There is only a very slight malt character barely detectable, but it is nice.

The taste is likewise very hoppy. But again there is a slight maltiness, which this time balances and accents nicely. The taste starts bright floral, the Hallertau’s, then the maltiness balances and cuts the flavor for a moment before the bitter Cascades dominate and linger for the aftertaste.

The mouthfeel is good and matches the style and taste well. It is slightly thick but finishes a tad dry.

Drinkability is average; the hoppiness may be too much after a few. I imagine the high quality hops were used to add flavor, as the sorghum seems to impart little taste. I wonder if the sorghum is roasted at all?

I think this is a great beer, I think they have done a great job of making a beer for those with gluten allergies. I am not sure I would buy it again, but that is due to the price. (1,582 characters)

2.74/5  rDev -2.5%

This Beer is unique especially to me since it is the first gluten free beer I have ever had. I image though that even though it is made with out wheat or barley it should have more flavor than it does. I will give it some credit being an Anheuser Bush beer I can't expect a whole heck of a lot. Now to the break down. The beer has a surprisingly deep amber color with a bit of a head to it, which doesn't hold very well at all. Has very little smell to it at all. like I mentioned before it has little taste, I would describe it as watery. Mouthfeel is it's strong point, as with most Anheuser Bush beers it is refreshing like a soda. Drinkability is poor for me since I found it bland and boring I will not drink more than the one I bought. (741 characters)

3.6/5  rDev +28.1%

The aroma is light and mildly sweet with a faint perfumed soap aroma. Those good soaps that are just for show mind you, not the ones you wash your butt with. It actually smells of in a non-beer kind of way. The body is a light amber/copper color with a diminishing white head that starts a thumb thick, fades, but then holds. As pale lagers go it looks pretty inviting.

That perfumey sweetness is there in the fore. It tastes a little like patchouli and potpourri mix. Yes, I have tasted both. It finishes with a sort of apple and flower finish. Has a moderately biting carbonation and detectable hops. This is not a bad beer at all. I actually think this puppy would sell well if marketed as a ladies (or guys) who hate beer. That being said....it’s good for what it is. My raped taste buds are screaming for more. (820 characters)

3.26/5  rDev +16%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

I cant imagine having celiac disease and not being able to consume things with gluten. its amazing what all we eat that contains it. That being said I was eager to try this beer. I think I have read that sorghum beers are big in rural parts of Africa.

Decent color and carbonation level. Somewhat of a slight coppery golden color. Aroma is just there-to me a BUD has more aroma then this. Doesnt even really say "beer". Flavor is a tad sweet-almost malty. It is sweet like unfermented wort. Very slight trace of hops to it. Mouthfeel is decent enough. As I reach the bottom of the glass the whole package is quite enjoyable. While I dont think I would buy this again, AB has done an admirable job in producing something quite drinkable. (740 characters)

3.68/5  rDev +31%

Wow... A-B really actually took time to come up with this one. Pours a cloudy brown, with red hints. Has a good thick white head and maintains a ring around the outside through every pull on the beer. Lacks any lacing though, which is disappointing. Has a sweet, malty scent. Nice fruit flavor, with slight hop bite and something else in the ending. Could be Sorghum. I am incredibly impressed. Much better than that Red Hook crap A-B tries to sell as real beer. (462 characters)

3.48/5  rDev +23.8%

Presentation: 12 oz longneck bottle, embossed with the AB crest on the shoulder. "Beer made from sorghum - made without wheat or barley." No readable freshness date - disappointing from the people pushing born on dating.

Appearance: Clear amber color, thinnish head, decent retention and just a bit of lacing.

Smell: Aroma is a bit off from what I would expect - closer to adjunts than that of a normal beer. I assume this is from the sorghum?

Taste: Interesting - a slightly different sweetness than I would normally expect. Not quite the normal malty flavor, but there is some grainy flavors here. A bit of hops in the finish.

Overall impression: This is a fairly solid beer, even when not considering its intent. It is a decent vienna style lager - drinkable and fairly balanced. When you consider this is aimed at the gluten free market, this is an even better beer. My wife is celiac, so I'm always on the lookout for gluten free beers - so far this is definitely one of the frontrunners. (1,005 characters)

3.2/5  rDev +13.9%

I pulled a Redbridge from my fridge not knowing what it was. I poured it and was pleased with the appearance. Nice frothy white head... clear deep amber with golden highlights. I raised it to take a sip and noticed hops in the nose. Crisp... slightly elevated fine-bubbled carbonation. The flavor was a little odd, sweetish and kind of off-kilter, so I looked at the label... "Beer Made From Sorghum". Ahhh! That explains it then. OK. Hmmm. Not bad! My last Celiac beer, if I can call it that, was unimpressive, but this was good. There's a strong hop flavor upfront, grassy and spicy, that screams "BEER"! Beyond that it's malty; although I'm not sure if Sorghum is malted. I'd guess it is. It's the seed of a grass, just like barley. It's graininess is a touch rough and cardboard-ish (but not from oxidation), and it becomes sweet at the swallow. Unfortunately, it then becomes a bit astringent and harsh, lingering like that with bitterness and dully grassy and spicy hops for quite a bit. Still, I'd prefer this to almost all of the other Celiac beers I've had. For people with Celiac's disease, I'd highly recommend trying this one. (1,138 characters)

4.01/5  rDev +42.7%

This is unlike any beer I have ever tasted, probably because it is brewed with sorghum. It is not radically different from other beers, but it is still distinctive. Redbridge neither looks nor tastes like a product of one of the "big boys," so I was surprised to learn that Anheuser-Busch brews it.

The dark amber color is very inviting, and the unique taste has fruity undertones. It has a good bite without being bitter and feels lively on your tongue. I am glad to know that people who must avoid regular beer due to allergies or other medical issues can drink at least one more-than-adequate brewski! (607 characters)

4.03/5  rDev +43.4%

Having been just diagnosed with Celiac disease, I was very sad at the thought of never drinking beer again. I never would have thought that Anheuser-Busch would make enjoying beer again a posibillity.

I poured it into a pint glass, and was very surprised to see a good rusty brown-red colour. It doesn't look very thick; pouring more like a thin pilsner, but forms a wonderful head nonetheless. Probably the best poor of any bud product I've ever seen.

Smell was not too bad at all. There was hopps, alcohol, and the interesting smell of sorghum.

Taste: thin. Not a bad thing though. One expects a "beer" flavour and that is what one gets. The sorghum adds an interesting flavour, kind of like getting lime when expecting lemon, but it's close enough that I won't complain (it was my first beer in 5 months).

The aftertaste was very nice. The hopps come through most here.

Overall I was happy. At just over $8.50 at my local beer shop, it's a steal when compaired with other gluten-free beers. Expensive for bud, but not for a good micro. I think I'll pretend it's just that.

Bravo (1,102 characters)

Pours a light amber with a short white head that dissipates pretty quick. Smells slightly sweet like a cross between maple syrup and light molasses. Fairly faint, but not unpleasant. The taste is similarly sweet, but surprisingly restrained. There is also a slight bitterness that balances the sweetness. Comes off as quite a bit more flavorful than the common AB product. Medium to light body, not overcarbonated. Fades as it warms, definitely one to drink fairly quickly. Surprisingly okay for a sorghum beer. I am not a celiac, but I very much appreciate their difficulty and I think that AB should be commended for bringing to market such an important product that still tastes reasonably like a beer. (705 characters)

Redbridge from Anheuser-Busch