Redbridge - Anheuser-Busch

poor

Anheuser-Busch visit their website
Missouri, United States

American Amber / Red Lager |  4.00% ABV

Rich, hearty and full-bodied gluten-free lager brewed from sorghum. Redbridge has a distinctively fruity hop aroma, a sweet toasted grain flavor and a well-balanced, moderately
hopped finish.

(Beer added by: BeerBeing on 12-10-2006)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Redbridge Alström Bros
3.15/5  rDev +20.7%

12 OZ. brown bottle, poured a light amber/orangey copper color, little head that disappears fast to nithing. Aroma i guess is the Sorghum? Ive never had anything like this before so i cannot tell. It smells medicinal and lightly woody, caramel malt almost. Taste is very medicinal and some wood going on with a almost metallic blood note. Very unique and different taste, it isnt bad just different. Feel is on the lighter side with alot of carbonation hitting the tongue. Easily drinkable and sessionable, but i can see this taste being more love it or hate it. Give this a try its very interesting, ill have to take a look for more of this style of beer.

BeerMasterD, Jan 31, 2010
3.63/5  rDev +39.1%

Ok, wanted to try a Gluten free beer, which this mainly is, compare to a red amber.

Pours a nice clear amber into the Saison Dupoint glass, tan head froths up, but dies quickly - not unexpected with the lack of grain sugars.

Aroma is unique without the malty grain - more of a woody molasses. Same with the quaff - the flavor is one-of-a-kind in here, a sweetish wood, maybe oak. Not something I would want to drink on a standard basis, but...

Not having tried the gluten free beer style before, if unable to drink "regular" styles, I could find these refreshing on a hot summer day. Maybe even a cold winter nite.

Vancer, Jan 28, 2010
3.3/5  rDev +26.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

You know, I don't have a gluten wheat allergy, so I don't really see why I would even try this. But my roommates girlfriend does, and this was brought home and I gave it a go. It has a carbonated bubbliness to it. It's very alcohol tasting. Some lime in there? I'm almost thinking gin and tonic in a beer.

Amalak, Jan 08, 2010
3.15/5  rDev +20.7%

Poured from a brown 12 oz. bottle. Has A caramel color with a 1/2 inch head. Smell is of hops and yeast. Taste is of hops, some notes of citrus. Feels light in the mouth and has average drinkability. Overall a little different and not a bad beer at all.

tone77, Dec 12, 2009
3.35/5  rDev +28.4%

A strange beer.

Being a gluten free beer I expected it to be strange tasting but never thought it would be as sweet as it is.

Nice amber color, with barely any head.
Smells like esters and sweet yeasts.
Tastes like sweetness, but not from anything I have tasted in my life before.

I would buy it again if I was on a gluten free diet.

Spineypanda, Nov 25, 2009
3.6/5  rDev +37.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Poured a clear orange with a respectable head that faded to a patchy skin. The aroma was mildly malt. The taste was citrus, more lemon that grapefruit, with a carbonated malty after taste. The feel was light to medium bodied with good carbonation. Drinkability was good.

I had bought this by mistake and when I noticed the "Gluten Free" and realized who the brewer was, I thought Oh oh. Redbridge was surprisingly good though. Better than a lot of other craft/import lagers (red or otherwise). Don't get me wrong, this is not my new go to beer, but I find it very respectable.

kegger22, Nov 14, 2009
3.83/5  rDev +46.7%

Pours light copper with a modest white head that leaves globs of lacing.

Aroma is caramel malt and tropical fruit.

Taste is toasty, peaty caramel malt. Hints of toffee. Nutty, and woody, with mild earthy hop. Finish is sweet, with lingering dark fruit notes.

Mouthfeel is medium bodied.

A decent and flavorful Amber. Worth a try.

Blakaeris, Nov 03, 2009
3.38/5  rDev +29.5%

12 oz bottle poured into a Nonic. Julian date of 09215 (Aug. 03) on label. Also presents the Nutrition Facts. Interesting...

A - Totally clear light golden amber with next to no bubbles rising up. Starts with a big fluffy off-white head that lowers slowly to a thin layer and leaves lacing on the sides of the glass.

S - An obvious lack of typical beer ingredients on the nose with a low hop presence and a tiny touch of soap. Not terrible.

T - I first noticed the addition of some sort of artificial sweetener that doesn't seem to belong. Besides that it really seems to come as close to a "real" beer as possible. Finishes with a light beer / soda flavor. Hmm...

M - Light bodied and somewhat oily, it's very crisp with a sharp carbonation bite to the finish.

D - I wouldn't really want more than one of these but if I couldn't have gluten, it wouldn't be a bad option.

[I must say I love the label design of this beer. Very well done. (Not the one pictured.)]

BeerFMAndy, Oct 14, 2009
2.3/5  rDev -11.9%

12 Ounce brown bottle poured into a pint glass

Appearance: Golden color, not very amber in color with an off white head

Smell: Sweet malty smell with a fake citrus scent in the background

Taste: There is a imitation sweetness with an aftertaste similar to a diet pop. Very bizarre taste which is hard to describe.

ruckus232, Oct 10, 2009
2.8/5  rDev +7.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

Poured from a 12oz. bottle into a US tumbler pint glass.

A: The beer is a light brown color, with a short off-white head that fades quickly and leaves a thick lace on the glass.

S: The aroma is of tea, citrus, caramelized malts and a touch of hops.

T: The taste starts out with semi-sweet flavors of tea, caramel, spices and some citrus. Then there's a bitter bite that doesn't seem to come from the mild hops presence and there doesn't seem to have the best balance either. The after-taste is slightly bitter.

M: Crisp but not very smooth, medium body, medium carbonation, finish is clean.

D: Not very tasty, goes down ok, not too filling, mild kick, decent representation of style, there are definitely several other organic beers that I would pick before this one.

TheManiacalOne, Oct 06, 2009
1.88/5  rDev -28%

When I first poured this beer, it formed a shallow layer of white head which dissapeared almost instantly. The look is a see-through brownish red which let me know right away that it will lack in flavor.

The smell is very sweet and dry with very little bitterness present.

It tastes very much like it smells and is much too sweet for my taste. When I think of beer, I think of something that at least has some bitterness and balance but this one is pure sweetness. It also leaves a fruity aftertaste which reminds me of applesauce. Really not a typical beer taste and not in a good way.

I was expecting something different and original and it sure was different but I will not be buying it again.

bnes09, Oct 03, 2009
2.63/5  rDev +0.8%

Another gluten free offering and it appears this one is made with sorghum as the sole grain, I hope this is better than the Green's Quest I had a while back. Pours a very light, crystal clear copper color with a nice, large light beige head that fades at an average clip and leaves some lacing on the glass. Not a bad looking beer at all.

Nose consists mainly of mild earthy and pine hops and a bit of sweetness, which I am assuming is a sorghum type aroma as I have no idea what malted sorghum smells like.

Taste is interesting, quite earthy with a fair amount of leafy hop flavor. There is definitely plenty of sweetness there, but it is not overly distracting. It has some grape flavors in it and lends itself a mild wine-like characteristic. Without the malted barley, it really loses quite a bit of the qualities that make a beer a beer. It is far removed from an amber ale, but I feel that I am rating this one more as a gluten free offering. Way better than the only other gluten-free beer I have had. Unfortunately, I think if I was intolerant to gluten, I would not drink any beer at all and probably stick to wine.

twiggamortis420, Sep 05, 2009
2.42/5  rDev -7.3%

Pours an amber gold with a thin sudsy head that disappears relatively quickly.

Smells of dry hops and an unfamiliar aroma of malt.

The taste is bland. There is a hint of smokiness in the aftertaste which is a nice surprise, but the hops don't come through in the taste at all. Has a bit of a mineral water taste to it. The absence of typical beer flavors is noticeable.

Mouthfeel is thick and the carbonation is coarse and sparse. Like there are less bubbles than normal but they are bigger.

An okay beer. I guess it would do the job if I could consume gluten since its a sorghum beer. Better than nothing. But let's just say I'm glad gluten doesn't bother me!

Cylinsier, Aug 26, 2009
3.35/5  rDev +28.4%

Poured a nice amber color with a bit of a light off white head, very little retention or lacing.

The smell had a dry bread malty quality to it, not bad, but a bit on the weak side.

Almost English ESB like in flavor with a light mineral taste and a bit fruity notes with just a touch of buttery diacyte coming through as well, just a hint of sourdough bread and a light bit of spicy hops. Very balanced.

The mouthfeel is watery and a bit slick.

Overall its much better than I had anticipated, a little to thin to be good, but not bad.

bashiba, Aug 23, 2009
2.98/5  rDev +14.2%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Clear light amber with a splotchy eggshell head that leaves a little lace on the glass. Faint maple cream smell. The flavor has a mild kind of yeasty, molasses sweetness to it with a mild smack of lemony hop bitterness in the finish. Light bodied and easy enough to drink. This is easily the best of the three or four gluten free beers I've had, this at least tastes like beer.

biggred1, Aug 05, 2009
3.28/5  rDev +25.7%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

I have been struggling with a wheat allergy and consequently though I am not allergic to rye and barley per se, I definately feel better when I don't consume them. Having said all of this I tried a Redbridge red lager gluten free beer last night. I was surprised how much I liked it. I am generally not a big AB fan though I recently tried the Great American Ale and liked that as well. They have done a first rate job here. Though I would never confuse this for a craft brewed specialty beer or ale it tastes surprisingly good. The taste falls between a pale ale and a classic lager flavor, malty, mildly citrusy with caramel notes as well as a mid range hoppy finish. I would recommend anyone who finds they have gluten/wheat issues to give Redbridge a try!

bill93063, Aug 02, 2009
2.9/5  rDev +11.1%

I was told by another customer at my local beer store that this beer "is kosher for Passover because it doesn't have any yeast in it." Well that's fun to know! Pours a clear light orange with a small white head. Aroma of dough and sickly sweet malt. Flavor is actually better than I expected. Some sweet fruits, honey, and doughy malt. Palate is thin but not terrible. Drinkable. Ok, I am still very glad that I'm not gluten-intolerant but this beer wasn't as bad as I thought it was going to be.

LilBeerDoctor, Jun 09, 2009

Nutritional facts on the bottle! 160 calories, 9 mg of sodium, 16 g of carbs

Aroma - Citrus, which was a surprise.

Appearance - Poured a reddish yellow with light carbonation that supported a long lasting head.

Taste - Citrusy hops. Reminds me of a toned down Sam Adams. No bitterness in the aftertaste just hops upfront in the taste profile.

Mouthfeel - Thin with and low carbonation

Drinkability - This is an OK beer but considering the gluten-free circumstances this is probably a really good beer.

jwhawkins81, May 16, 2009
2.35/5  rDev -10%

Reviewed 4/19/2009 (Draft at Flying Saucer, Houston, TX):

Pours a clear light red brownish colored body. Smalllish cream-colored head, diminishing. Good lacing, looks thick and sticky. Sweet almost grainy taste, almost like rice or corn, vegetably. Malty and bitter at the beginning. Almost like a fake sugar aftertaste. Drying. Okay. Bitter hoppy aroma. Some of that off-flavored "maltiness". Too sweet tasting.

jujubeast6000, Apr 27, 2009
2.95/5  rDev +13%

I got this from a buddy and didn't even have a glass at the time so I tried it from the bottle.

Aroma: I definitely agree with GreenCard on the dill pickle. Wow is that distinct. There is also a sweet sugary smell.

Taste was very interesting. Not like any other American Reds I have had. Very sugary and molasses-like.

Mouthfeel was a little on the crisp side, but not to bad. Low carbonation.

Overall, this was a very unique beer. I am glad I got it from a buddy as I would be disappointed if I had bought it, as it wasn't something that pleased me. I still have a nasty aftertaste left in my mouth.

mothman, Apr 08, 2009
2.25/5  rDev -13.8%

A: Crystal clear golden-copper, with a small white head that quickly dissipates. Some minor lacing.

S: Almost no aroma to speak of; some molasses/sugary notes with a little chemical-like aftertone.

T: A little bit of a cloying sweetness, some vegetal flavors, then a bitter aftertaste, with that same chemical flavor.

M: Light and smooth, with medium carbonation.

D: This is pretty unpleasant. I finished the bottle, but I wasn't happy about it. I don't know if it's a problem with barley-less beers in general or just A-B's effort, but I wouldn't try this again.

a10t2, Feb 24, 2009
3.18/5  rDev +21.8%

Had a bottle from a mixed case recently. In the world of gluten-free beers, Redbridge is certainly blander than the rest, but it's also the most drinkable. I often find there's a cloying sweetness in a lot of the celiac beers, but this simply resembles a light amber ale. I guess considering the source and style, this isn't a half bad beer.

tempest, Feb 09, 2009
3.28/5  rDev +25.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours a clear, golden amber color. 5/4 inch head with slight retention ad decent lacing. Smells mostly of a sweet grain (I'm assuming rye). I guess it fits the style - I'd put it in its own category of a rye beer. Has a smooth and crisp mouth feel with average carbonation. Tastes mostly of a lager with a sweet rye flavor. There's also a distinct metallic/acidic aftertaste. Overall, a little weak in body and the aftertaste is slightly odd.

Tone, Jan 17, 2009
2.8/5  rDev +7.3%

Appearance: light copper, good clarity, bubbly light-tan froth that compacts to a thin layer of spittle

Aroma: caramel, herbal hop scent, dill pickles

Flavor: semisweet backbone with a soapy/fruity overtone; slight tartness like an apple; finishes semi-dry with a lingering acidity

Mouthfeel: medium-light body, bubbly carbonation, soft texture

Other comments: This is not a bad beer for a non-malt brew, but there's a reason malt is used in beer: it makes it taste good! I wouldn't drink this beer unless I had to for medical reasons, though.

GreenCard, Nov 30, 2008
3.13/5  rDev +19.9%

Made without barley or wheat... Interesting... That's why I grabbed it. Didn't even realise it was AB until I came here.

Poured a clear amber color with a fleeting white cap that left a delicate lacing effect.

Smelled very crisp and clean, a nice hoppy scent.

It tasted like "meh". Nothing special about it. I rolled it over in my tongue trying to find something that sparkled, but there was nothing. It wasn't 'bad' persay; but not good either.

This was a very undercarbonated brew, it tasted flat.

I was in no way impressed by this, I guess finding out on the back-end that it was from AB proves that I'm not a snob about AB; I just don't like them. (with a few rare exceptions)

donteatpoop, Nov 01, 2008