Redbridge - Anheuser-Busch

poor

Anheuser-Busch visit their website
Missouri, United States

American Amber / Red Lager |  4.00% ABV

Rich, hearty and full-bodied gluten-free lager brewed from sorghum. Redbridge has a distinctively fruity hop aroma, a sweet toasted grain flavor and a well-balanced, moderately
hopped finish.

(Beer added by: BeerBeing on 12-10-2006)
View: Beers (76) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Redbridge Alström Bros
Brad007

Vermont

I've read about this beer and decided that I wanted to try it. Pours a light amber color with a thin head. Aroma is sweet and fruity with some hop essence showing through. Taste is very sweet, fruity and smooth. Hops show well with this type of beer for some reason. There's almost a bubble gum/fruit taste that dominates though.

I wouldn't classify it as a traditional American Amber Ale though. It's made with Sorghum and should be classified separately, similar to how wheat beers are classified. Very drinkable though and if I had Celiac disease, I would probably drink this beer. It's different but it doesn't make me want to pour it down a drain so that's a good thing.

11-27-2007 01:08:12 | More by Brad007
deanhead

Vermont

2.93/5  rDev +11%

This beer poured a brillianttly clear copper color. I would expect nothing less from the scientists at AB. I failed to notice any aroma whatsover with the beer.
It is simply not there. Taste was okay, kinda fizzy, beer like. There are some hops int here somewhere. I can faintly pick up a bitterness. It's faint but there.
Extremely drinkable for a gluten free product. Richer "malt like" profile then any of the other GF beer sI have tried so far. It's certainly worth a try.

11-19-2007 04:08:05 | More by deanhead
BadRockBeer

Colorado

2.73/5  rDev +3.4%

This beer pours a deep copper in color with a mild white head. At first waft all I smell is a metallic note. I smell again and get a mild hit of green apple. The taste is very similar to the nose, quite mild however I do taste an apparent green apple flavor. The after taste is that of the bottle cap, metal! Body is light with a nice tingly effervescents. Not really for me but if you can't have wheat or barley, drink up!

11-12-2007 05:00:02 | More by BadRockBeer
Gusler

Arizona

The beer pours reddish amber with a modest white creamy head with the lace a fine coating upon the glass. Nose is all malt, well a very slight hint of hops, crisp and clean. Start has a pleasant malt profile; sweet with a tinge of bitterness at the back, top is light to moderate in feel. Finish has a determined acidity, the hops very mild but present and accounted for, somewhat sweet, quite dry aftertaste, not a total drain pour, but did not appeal to me, but there certainly could be an audience.

10-26-2007 19:48:03 | More by Gusler
meechum

Georgia

3.33/5  rDev +26.1%

I found this in the back of the fridge the other night and decided to down it to make room for some other stuff in my stash.

Poured a amber color with a small head that fell quickly leaving a little lace but not much. There wasn't a ton of nose on this..but you could smell some of the molasas and a hint of the hops. Taste and mouthfeel were both decent, had a good sweetness to it with a non-offensive amount of hops, just not very complex at all.

Overall I'd say that it isn't a bad beer at all..and if somebody handed me one I'd drink it and thank them for it, but I wouldn't seek it out for myself

10-23-2007 14:48:04 | More by meechum
Reidrover

Oregon

3.23/5  rDev +22.3%

Copper/amber coloured beer, small pure white head. sourish vinegar like aroma, reminds me of apple cider Again a weak apple cider flavour,but for some reason iits refreshing, well carbonated and slightly bitter after the sour. Nice enough mouthfeel. Not too bad at all..this is my second sorghum based brew and i like them well enough.

10-23-2007 13:00:37 | More by Reidrover
Pooba001

Arizona

3.58/5  rDev +35.6%

Purchased at Papago Brewing in Scottsdale, I wanted to try the gluten-free offering despite a usual aversion towards Anheuser products. Pours a good shade for an Amber ale, very clear, moderate carbonation, with minimal head that dissipates quickly. The aroma is sweet and candy like, I can't be as specific as I want here, there's something particular its reminding me of. Other than that, it seems minimal, and could be bolder (I think that about lots of amber ales though).

Taste is a little odd, but doesn't seem like there's something missing. There's definitely that candy sweetness, not exactly like a Belgian candi sugar, but there's something there. A little woody taste. I think I'm getting some grassy hop flavor, but I'd like a little more from the hops.

Mouthfeel is fine, a little dry. Drinkability is good, even for an amber ale, I could drink a few of these. Sorghum or not, its one of A-B's better beers.

10-18-2007 05:24:26 | More by Pooba001
BigRedN

Nebraska

2.48/5  rDev -6.1%

Part of a mixed six pack. Purchased one bottle out of curiosity to try. I was aware this is an AB product at the time of purchase.

Appearance: Initially I was not sure of the style so I poured it into a pint glass figuring it would be the best choice. Th beer is amber in color, clear, with a thin head. Head fades quickly and leaves no lacing.

Smell: A somewhat fruity scent on the first sniff (berries, which surpised me). A bit sweet smelling and lacks anything hoppy (no surprise).

Taste: Some of the aformentioned "berry-ness" in the flavor (not sure where this comes from), makeing this a little sweet, with no bitterness. I expected the beer to be a bit grainy, I got non of that.

Mouthfeel: Light in body with decent carbonation. I was not expecting a dark "heavy" beer, so I guess this falls in line.

Drinkability: OK, not worth purchasing unless you have too. Even then, if this is the best one can do, I'd skip drinking beer.

10-16-2007 04:29:40 | More by BigRedN
jasonpeckins32

Jeesh, quite the trial brew here or what? I would think they could come up with some better ideas than this.

A bit amber in color, but not enough so. A bit "red" in the taste, but not enough so. A bit better than most of their offerings in the body and mouthfeel, but not enough. And it leaves a strange aftertaste. Really not sure what to make of this one, but I know I dont like it. It has an oddly dry and maybe fruity aftertaste. Something just doesnt match up well in this one.

They might be slowly headed in the right direction with a beer like this, but theres a lot of room for progress yet.

10-16-2007 03:56:53 | More by jasonpeckins32
matty

3.45/5  rDev +30.7%

Not something you'd expect from AB.A pretty drinkable beer with a slight fruity aftertaste.This beer almost reminds of Sam Adams cherry wheat,although there is no wheat in the beer.I would recommend this to my friends and I definetly will be buying again!!

09-16-2007 03:08:17 | More by matty
tgbljb

3.43/5  rDev +29.9%

poured a light copper color with moderate foamy white head.Good retention and lacing.
Smell is light and almost undetectable.
Taste is enjoyable, but not great. The beer has a nice fruity sweetness but also a bit of an astringent texture.
Leaves a strange taste in the mouth. Great really bad, but not good either.
If this was all I could drink I could used to yet, but I have other choices.

09-06-2007 22:09:10 | More by tgbljb
livingregret

Washington

2.17/5  rDev -17.8%

Serving Type: 12 oz bottle

Appearance: A light copper w/ reddish hues. No head to speak of and no lacing

Smell: Doughy yeast, an odd berry flavour. Odd....

Taste/Mouthfeel: Odd....overly sweet(Cherries?) w/ a very poor aftertaste. Leaves a almost syrup feel in your mouth. Sweet....but not in a good way. A very odd taste that is nothing to impressive

Drinkability: Nope...won't try again. WAY to odd of a feeling at the end of the drink. The taste seems off and the mouthfeel just lingers in a very bad way

09-06-2007 06:07:15 | More by livingregret
hunteraw

China

2.25/5  rDev -14.8%

Sampled with a friend who has several coeliac relatives.

Appearance: Honey in color, small head, no lacing, little retention.

Smell: Odd. Definitely different. Kind of berry and adjuncty/grainy.

Taste: Even odder. Too sweet. Bit of plastic, with a raspberry finish.

Mouthfeel: Light body, carbonation ok.

Drinkability: One of the strangest beers I've ever had - not something I would choose to drink. I'd rather have a glass of water.

08-23-2007 14:04:55 | More by hunteraw
bluemoonswoon

2.83/5  rDev +7.2%

Trying one of Bud's disguised beers and gluenten free no less. 12oz bottle poured into a nonic pint glass, no freshness date.

A: Not completly terrible looking considering where this beer comes from. It pours a clear dark ambery brown with an off white two inch head that bubbles down after a bit into a ring. Minimal lacing.

S: Bread crusty with a bit of grassy and tiny fruit undertone. Sort of bland but not terrible especially considering there is no wheat gluten in this beer.

T/MF: Has a weird hoppy tinge but it tastes rather forced, as if it shouldnt be there. A bit bitter and bubbly on the tonge with a metalic finish. A bit of crunchy bready flavors which is weird considering there is no glueten in it, more grassy than anything though which makes sense with the sorguhm (however you spell that).

D: All I have to say is I am glad I'm not allergic to wheat gluten. But not a terrible offering from Bud, better tasting than the flagships but this is not one I would want to pay for again.

08-22-2007 23:24:18 | More by bluemoonswoon
cjgator3

1.43/5  rDev -45.8%

12oz bottle poured into a pint glass. Pours a clear copper color with an off-white head. Obviously since the beer is made without malt and wheat, it has a unique aroma. It is really is hard to describe but there is no familiar malt smells, just a sweet and slightly chalky aroma (that is the best I can describe it). The taste much like the aroma is pretty faint and lacking the malty characteristics that I love in beer. There really is not much flavor to pick up on, and the little bit of flavor that peaks through is not very good at all. Overall, I am not a big fan of this brew. I know and understand that this is a gluten-free "beer", but I am having a hard time justifying to myself that this is a beer. Thank goodness I do not have gluten issues. Not recommended.

08-17-2007 06:05:38 | More by cjgator3
NJpadreFan

2.98/5  rDev +12.9%

Redbridge

Appearance- Light copper orange with a moderate fizzy head. No lacing.
Smell- Sweet malt and a fruity pear-like aroma.
Taste- Sweet malt with a dry pear cider twang.
Mouthfeel- Sweet up front but a mild dry flavorful finish.

Overall- For celiac sufferers this would be a decent choice. Sorta bland and weak for those of us who don't suffer.

08-13-2007 00:33:06 | More by NJpadreFan
happygnome

3.55/5  rDev +34.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

a: clear amber-orange color with about a halfinch of head that dissapeared fast and left a good amount of lacing
s: kind of a sweet malty beer with deffinate tones of earthyness
t: like the aroma, sweet with some deffinate earthy hop notes
m: medium bodied and very smooth, little carbonation

overall this is the first gluten free beer that ive had that i know about, and it isnt too bad

08-10-2007 18:43:16 | More by happygnome
geexploitation

Indiana

2.83/5  rDev +7.2%

Pours a bright amber with lighter highlights and little head. The aroma is definitely un-beer-like -- kind of vegetal, with a fake maple syrup kind of element and no hops I to speak of. On the palate, metallic sweetness with a bit of sulphur and a touch of watery sourness. Strange but not disgusting, which is a decent achievement for a gluten-free beer. Mouthfeel is nice, with a light body and good portion of carbonation. Some acidity that is out of place in the style. Overall, this is only an average beer (at best), but for a gluten free offering it isn't bad.

08-08-2007 03:18:23 | More by geexploitation
acrawf6

Louisiana

3.03/5  rDev +14.8%

Pours out a clear orange amber with a small white head that drops in to a ring.

Smell. It is a light crisp aroma with a candy cherry bit that i get.

Taste. I've had this a while ago, and it tastes a bit hoppy, much hoppier than i remember. There are still the fruitiness like candy cherry that i get from the aroma. It's pretty fruity.

Mouthfeel. Body is a touch on the slicker side of medium body, but there is a lively carbonation as well.

Overall, not that bad for what it is made to be. I wont ever buy it again, but i think it is decent for people that can only drink it.

07-31-2007 23:45:02 | More by acrawf6
PorterLambic

2.78/5  rDev +5.3%

Pours a dark amber/honey color. Small head, white, drops fast to nothing.
Smell is hops, some malt and light citrus.
Taste is a hops, light citrus and some alcohol.
Light-medium body, medium carbonation with a citrus and hop aftertaste. Not a bad beer, good for summer especially with a crisp, hoppy flavor.

Interesting to see a megabrewer trying to act like a micro. Is there an issue with their more well-known lines? (He asks with a huge smirk upon his face) Maybe they need to toss all their old recipes and start over instead of tweaking them and putting a new name on them. My two cents.

07-28-2007 14:35:08 | More by PorterLambic
BeerBelcher

2.7/5  rDev +2.3%

This beer has the most bizarre odor. It smells like an empty grain silo. Flavor is actually not awful for a gluten-free beer, and is the best of the ones I've had. If I had a gluten allergy and I didn't succumb to a lack-of-beer-depression, I would drink this.

Appearance is a crystal clear light red. Head is present (a plus) although small and commercial looking. Flavor is faint and watery but lightly hoppy. Mouthfeel is slick and thin, like too warm public swimming pool water.

07-27-2007 21:25:35 | More by BeerBelcher
yourunclewalt

A - Pours a clear red-orange with a touch of foamy head that drops to nothing almost instantly.

S - Sweet; like fruit punch with a grassy bite.

T - Bubblegum, fruit punch.

M - Macro-lager mouthfeel; maybe a little smoother than that.

D - I've never had a gluten-free beer, nor am I generally a fan of the macro's faux-micro offerings. This one, on the other hand, was surprising. It actually has a bit of flavor, and, when cold, could be fairly drinkable.

07-02-2007 23:33:26 | More by yourunclewalt
garymuchow

3.43/5  rDev +29.9%

Bottle purchased for $.35. Worth a try at that price.
The grain offer a unique fruity aroma that's very mild and generally pleasant. Just a touch of spiciness from hops.
Very attractive, water clear, amber color. Head was small and very short lived
Taste is short lived to, but that's not to say it's not there. Starts with a pleasant sweetness rapidly moving to a more nuetral grain flavor, then to stark sourness before moving to rather bold bitter/sour/dryness that finishes quite long. Most flavors are fairly strong but very quick. They are also rather unique and pleasing enough, the exception being the finish which for many will have to be an acquired taste.
Fully carbonated as most lager from the brewery tend to be. Lager thin and typical.
This is not bad. Unique flavors and close to thirst quenching.

06-25-2007 02:46:28 | More by garymuchow
theopholis

Appearance- The beer pours a very clear, amber/copper hue with a 1 finger, off-white head. Very little head retention or lacing.

Aroma- A very dry malty sweetness up front followed by floral hops. Doesn't really smell to style for an American red, but since it's glutten free, I guess allowances have to be made. LOL

Taste- A very odd mix of floral hps, a light toffee flavors up . It's really hard to describe. Very little malt sweetness. I guess the sorghum is really throwing me off. Some caramel notes at the very end.

Mouthfeel- Slightly syrupy body. Good CO2 level.

Drinkability- I didn't really care for it, but this beer would be very nice for people who are gluttan intolerant.

06-24-2007 18:31:01 | More by theopholis
sulldaddy

Connecticut

3.53/5  rDev +33.7%

Im sampling a cellar temp bottle poured into a pint glass. The beer pours a bright clear copper hue with fizzy and frothy eggshell white head of 2 cm foaming up easily and fading to a pockmarked surface layer.

The aroma is dominated by floral hops, but allows for some general sweetness to poke through.

The first sip reveals a thin body with fine and fizzy carbonation.

Flavor is some sweet toffee flavors up front that roll to light fruitiness and finishes with some crisp grassy hops that linger with a fairly assertive bitterness.

The beer is very easy to drink and is interesting enough. The low ABV and crisp finish make it a nice beer for the summer.

I'd have to say this is a pretty decent beer, I wouldnt go out of the way for it, but would drink again for sure.

06-04-2007 02:30:22 | More by sulldaddy