Redbridge - Anheuser-Busch

Anheuser-Busch visit their website
Missouri, United States

American Amber / Red Lager |  4.00% ABV

Beer added by: BeerBeing on 12-10-2006

Rich, hearty and full-bodied gluten-free lager brewed from sorghum. Redbridge has a distinctively fruity hop aroma, a sweet toasted grain flavor and a well-balanced, moderately
hopped finish.
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Redbridge Alström Bros
3.26/5  rDev +15.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

I cant imagine having celiac disease and not being able to consume things with gluten. its amazing what all we eat that contains it. That being said I was eager to try this beer. I think I have read that sorghum beers are big in rural parts of Africa.

Decent color and carbonation level. Somewhat of a slight coppery golden color. Aroma is just there-to me a BUD has more aroma then this. Doesnt even really say "beer". Flavor is a tad sweet-almost malty. It is sweet like unfermented wort. Very slight trace of hops to it. Mouthfeel is decent enough. As I reach the bottom of the glass the whole package is quite enjoyable. While I dont think I would buy this again, AB has done an admirable job in producing something quite drinkable. (740 characters)

3.25/5  rDev +15.2%

The beer pours an amber color with a towering offwhite head that quickly fades to lacing. The aroma is average. It has a very dry lager yeast scent with little "malt" or hop aroma; yes I know this is made with sorghum. The taste is decent. It has a smooth "amber lager" taste that goes down easy, but it finishes way too dry for my liking. The mouthfeel is decent as well. It is a medium bodied beer with good carbonation. I love the idea here, but the end result isn't very attractive. It's one and done for me. (512 characters)

look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

I have been struggling with a wheat allergy and consequently though I am not allergic to rye and barley per se, I definately feel better when I don't consume them. Having said all of this I tried a Redbridge red lager gluten free beer last night. I was surprised how much I liked it. I am generally not a big AB fan though I recently tried the Great American Ale and liked that as well. They have done a first rate job here. Though I would never confuse this for a craft brewed specialty beer or ale it tastes surprisingly good. The taste falls between a pale ale and a classic lager flavor, malty, mildly citrusy with caramel notes as well as a mid range hoppy finish. I would recommend anyone who finds they have gluten/wheat issues to give Redbridge a try! (759 characters)

3.23/5  rDev +14.5%

My first gluten free beer. If I had to go gluten free, this would probably be not that bad. Some flavor here, not the corn and rice mess that makes up most adjunct lagers. Still not that good a beer though.

Pours a crystal clear light amber color with a small bubbly white head, less than average retention and almost no lacing.

Smell is faint, a little sweet and floral.

Taste is not that bad. Not particularly strong but there is a floral sweetness and a bit of hops in the finish.

Mouthfeel is crisp but also very light.

On the whole, a pretty average beer. Lawnmower beer at best for someone that does not require gluten free. (635 characters)

3.23/5  rDev +14.5%

A- pours a golden yellow that produces no head, seems to be VERY carbonated. bubbles never seem to end. Not going to lie... it looks quite good for what i expected.
S- is a generally hoppy smell. granted there is no wheat or barley... there is atually a slight malty smell to this. almost sweet?

T- sour... has a slight malt background. generally taste of hops. slightly bitter finish. watery... has as slight apple presence? so weird...
M- Lighter then air. lingering sweetness.
D/O - i wont lie... this is drinkable. this is not the worst beer AB has ever came out with. Surprisingly enjoyable to a degree. but watery non to say the least. (644 characters)

3.2/5  rDev +13.5%

I pulled a Redbridge from my fridge not knowing what it was. I poured it and was pleased with the appearance. Nice frothy white head... clear deep amber with golden highlights. I raised it to take a sip and noticed hops in the nose. Crisp... slightly elevated fine-bubbled carbonation. The flavor was a little odd, sweetish and kind of off-kilter, so I looked at the label... "Beer Made From Sorghum". Ahhh! That explains it then. OK. Hmmm. Not bad! My last Celiac beer, if I can call it that, was unimpressive, but this was good. There's a strong hop flavor upfront, grassy and spicy, that screams "BEER"! Beyond that it's malty; although I'm not sure if Sorghum is malted. I'd guess it is. It's the seed of a grass, just like barley. It's graininess is a touch rough and cardboard-ish (but not from oxidation), and it becomes sweet at the swallow. Unfortunately, it then becomes a bit astringent and harsh, lingering like that with bitterness and dully grassy and spicy hops for quite a bit. Still, I'd prefer this to almost all of the other Celiac beers I've had. For people with Celiac's disease, I'd highly recommend trying this one. (1,138 characters)

3.2/5  rDev +13.5%

Copper/amber coloured beer, small pure white head. sourish vinegar like aroma, reminds me of apple cider Again a weak apple cider flavour,but for some reason iits refreshing, well carbonated and slightly bitter after the sour. Nice enough mouthfeel. Not too bad at all..this is my second sorghum based brew and i like them well enough. (335 characters)

Redbridge
12 oz bottle
Moderate pour in a mug
Recent brewing, crossed 05/07.

Poured a clear reddish amber with an average fizzy mostly diminishing slightly off-white head.

Smelt of real beer! Some definite grassy hops with some odd grain smell. Toasted grain, but different, more green like...

Taste was upfront moderate bitter toasted grain and hops with light sweet caramel followed by a moderate bitter soya vegetable and sweet grain and biter grassy hops on a short finish.

Palate was light bodied, fizzy, watery and moderately astringent.

Overall, this is great! I'm not sure what kind of flavors can be obtained from sorghum, but the fact that it exists open a whole new world. Nothing bold, rich or complex. Just new. It's like drinking a beer for the first time. Just different... (806 characters)

3.19/5  rDev +13.1%

Nutritional facts on the bottle! 160 calories, 9 mg of sodium, 16 g of carbs

Aroma - Citrus, which was a surprise.

Appearance - Poured a reddish yellow with light carbonation that supported a long lasting head.

Taste - Citrusy hops. Reminds me of a toned down Sam Adams. No bitterness in the aftertaste just hops upfront in the taste profile.

Mouthfeel - Thin with and low carbonation

Drinkability - This is an OK beer but considering the gluten-free circumstances this is probably a really good beer. (506 characters)

3.18/5  rDev +12.8%

Had a bottle from a mixed case recently. In the world of gluten-free beers, Redbridge is certainly blander than the rest, but it's also the most drinkable. I often find there's a cloying sweetness in a lot of the celiac beers, but this simply resembles a light amber ale. I guess considering the source and style, this isn't a half bad beer. (341 characters)

3.18/5  rDev +12.8%

Poured from a brown 12 oz. bottle. Has A caramel color with a 1/2 inch head. Smell is of hops and yeast. Taste is of hops, some notes of citrus. Feels light in the mouth and has average drinkability. Overall a little different and not a bad beer at all. (253 characters)

3.18/5  rDev +12.8%

A - deep golden-orange, just shy of amber. Perfectly clear with a thin head that leaves no lace, despite the strong carbonation observed adhering to the sides of the glass.

S - slight maple syrup, soft floral note. Neither is very strong.

T - mildly medicinal initial taste followed by a broad bitterness that balances nicely with the maple sweetness. Warm alcohol heat finishes the drink.

M - Not a lot of body, quite fizzy.

D - I might cross the street for one of these beers, but it would depend on the number of lanes. (534 characters)

3.17/5  rDev +12.4%

Pours an almost still looking honey colored body with a thin head that fizzles out to a ring. Smell is really faint but what I do get reminds me of a mix of pure alcohol and caraway. Again, I get the caraway thing here as well as some grainy flavor I've never experienced before. I'm to assume this is the sorghum. I like it. Mouthfeel is a bit thin, but thickened by the sugars, Carbonation is decent. This is interesting enough for me to keep on drinking. (457 characters)

3.15/5  rDev +11.7%

A: Orange reddish color with a decent head of white foam. Medium level of carbonation. Minor traces of lacing inside the glass.

S: Smells like fresh earth with traces of wood and herbs. I like it. Quite a nice suprise.

T: Unorthodox flavors to say the least. A noteable hoppy flavor blended with mild soapy esters, with a woody and slightly citrus flavor toward the finish. Unique. Hard to call on this one, so for the benefit of the doubt, i'll say it's average.

M: Similar to a lager; thirst quenching, slightly slick with a noted touch of density. Not bad.

D: I personally don't know if i'd revisit this brew, but it's not a bad beer. Besides being gluten-free, what else is it? Does the lack of gluten result in fewer carbohydrate or calories or something? This is a beer of mysteries, wrapped inside an enigma, around a riddle. Different. Worth trying. (869 characters)

3.15/5  rDev +11.7%

Made without barley or wheat... Interesting... That's why I grabbed it. Didn't even realise it was AB until I came here.

Poured a clear amber color with a fleeting white cap that left a delicate lacing effect.

Smelled very crisp and clean, a nice hoppy scent.

It tasted like "meh". Nothing special about it. I rolled it over in my tongue trying to find something that sparkled, but there was nothing. It wasn't 'bad' persay; but not good either.

This was a very undercarbonated brew, it tasted flat.

I was in no way impressed by this, I guess finding out on the back-end that it was from AB proves that I'm not a snob about AB; I just don't like them. (with a few rare exceptions) (686 characters)

3.15/5  rDev +11.7%

12 OZ. brown bottle, poured a light amber/orangey copper color, little head that disappears fast to nithing. Aroma i guess is the Sorghum? Ive never had anything like this before so i cannot tell. It smells medicinal and lightly woody, caramel malt almost. Taste is very medicinal and some wood going on with a almost metallic blood note. Very unique and different taste, it isnt bad just different. Feel is on the lighter side with alot of carbonation hitting the tongue. Easily drinkable and sessionable, but i can see this taste being more love it or hate it. Give this a try its very interesting, ill have to take a look for more of this style of beer. (656 characters)

3.13/5  rDev +11%

I picked this one up more as a novelty then anything else the last time I ran through total wine. I had seen this on shelves for a couple years, but had never gotten around to trying it, so I decided to give it a shot last night and see what it was about. I served the 12o bottle straight out of the fridge and poured it into a Pint glass. The pour was decent, with a bright, honey colored amber with amazing clarity and lots of carbonation bubbling up from the bottom of the glass. A good sized two finger head of white froth jumped up right after the pour, however it settled down rather quickly and I did not see much of it after that. Really did not leave behind much of anything.

The aroma was non existent, almost a touch ginger if you really looked for it, but mostly just dull grain and wheat and a touch of rice. Nothing really much going on here, the flavor was more of the same. Unfortunately it was just dull and boring, and that was quite a shame. Hints of rice and cereal grains, and a sickly sweet ginger soda like flavor were all that I could really make it from this one. A good bit of carbonation in it and as for a beer you could chug down in quantity, in that regards it was not half bad.

Overall this was a good alternative for people that cannot drink for dietary reasons, however for me, it was not a good alternative and I do not think I will be heading in this direction again. It was just too bland for me, nothing really going on with it. Could be worse though, and still better then ,most of the macro stuff you see. (1,546 characters)

3.13/5  rDev +11%

2nd "Sorghum" beer I've tried. Poured a light amber, with very little bubbles and a good lace, smelled faintly like a can, a little alcohol, not much else, other than a note of soap suds? Okay. Mouth was very watery but there was a bitterness and a a little thickness to this, not bad. Taste, well, I'll be. it's pretty good. It's along the lines of Yuengling, some hops bite and and a decent profile for the alcohol, a small bit of metallic and a strong toasty malt flavor.

Very good AB. I'd say this is better than most your stuff, refreshing. Not something I'd get again, but I respect this for what it is. (613 characters)

3.12/5  rDev +10.6%

Notes are, as usual, both recent and thorough.

The color is close to bronze, a dark red-brown, but with a good deal of clarity to it. An off-white head is soft and thin but retention is a little better than I expect. There's very little lacing to speak of dropped by the thin foam that remains of the head.
There's an interesting aroma to this one for sure. Light caramel sweetness with a butterscotch edge mixes with some dark fruits and something almost like candi sugars. There's also a peppery bite and lingering grains. Hops add (perhaps along with the spiciness) some floral notes to balance a touch.
A light sugary sweetness comes up front but mixes with a metallic note. A mild floral hops note is present with peppery and grassy notes. Sweetness comes out in full effect, though, in an odd way.
The body is a little light and thin, and doesn't seem to have much support. There's not a touch of dryness to the feel of it, of course. Carbonation is moderate.
This is interesting. It's not a bad alternative if you can't drink beer, but it's not something I'd pick up. (1,075 characters)

3.11/5  rDev +10.3%

Appearance: Sharply clear reddish golden color, with a moderate off-white head, thick scattered lacing, and slight slow-rising carbonation.

Aroma: Herbal hops dominate the aroma, with slight toasted grain beneath. The hop presence is not really that pronounced, rather, the aroma offers little else.

Taste: Sharp hops at the open, remarkably so for an Anheuser-Busch product. Moderate caramel-like sweetness follows, the taste then draws to a close with a wave of rather aggressive hops, with both metallic and pine tar flavors lingering well past the close.

Mouth feel: Smooth and fairly full, pleasant.

Drinkability/notes: Rather unremarkable, although for those with Celiac disease, this is one of a very few options, but is, at best, mediocre.

Presentation: Packaged in a twelve-ounce brown glass long neck bottle with a twist-off crown, served in a standard pint tap glass. (883 characters)

3.1/5  rDev +9.9%

Looks like a light beer. Light amber, perfectly clear. Some obvious peppery carbonation and some lovely champagne-like bubbles.

Smells bready, with lots of sweet lemon and tart grapefruit. The taste follows: very smooth and malty balanced with some citrus. However, a high, assaulting carbonation and a light mouthfeel detract from the experience.

Redbridge drinks like a macro with the price tag of craft. Sorry to say it, but I think I just needs gluten in my beer. (471 characters)

3.08/5  rDev +9.2%

Review from BeerAdvocate Magazine March 2007.

Mainstream media is all over this beer because it's being marketed as gluten-free, but, oddly, the label doesn't use that term. Regardless, it's good to see another brewery catering to beer lovers who have celiac disease.

Pours with a hefty, off-white lace and leaves a patchy, web-like trail down the glass. Crystal-clear, copper-col- ored brew is darker than we thought. Clean, candy-like sweetness--almost a fresh bubble gum or plain taffy aroma--with a light, floral perfume tone in the back. Crisp and slick on the pal- ate, with a light-to-medium body. A peculiar sweetness comes forward first--sug- ar with a faint mineral bite similar to molasses. Quick snapback from the hops, but then more sweetness; slightly cloying but not in the same way as malt; a little more complex. Within the sweetness is a mealy grassiness that just won't shake off. Finishes steely and sweet.

An acquired taste, but if you have celiac disease, this would be your savior right now. Set aside all of that and Redbridge is a most interesting beer, and worth a try if you like your beer on the sweet side. We could see pairing this with a slow-cooked pot roast and roasted root vegetables. (1,222 characters)

3.08/5  rDev +9.2%

A: Poured from a bottle to pint glass. Had an amber color and a mainly clear consistency. There was a small amount of head and some OK lacing.

S: There was a slight amount of hops and sugar in the aroma, but not much else.

T: Had a bitter hoppiness and a slight sugary quality. Other than that, it was very thin and featureless.

M: A decent amount of carbonation and a dry finish. Medium-bodied.

D; It's always kind of funny when a brewery that makes terrible beer tries to make a good one. Usually it turns out mediocre. Just like Redbridge. This is just an uninteresting piece of brewing. Stick to what you know, Anheuser-Busch, which is making bad beer. (660 characters)

Redbridge
12 oz brown bottle
#06346 MR50
Served in a 20 oz tulip pint glass

Pours a transparent amber brown with a minimal head on top. Little spots of sticky lace cling to the glassware.

The nose is rather non existent with some sour notes in the background.

Taste is clean and somewhat neutral with some fruity notes, possibly pear. A touch of sweet & sour resonates. The mouthfeel is similiar to a mildly carbonated glass of seltzer water. This beer is somehwhat refreshing and unique. Probably not a beer that I would look for again, but a decent alternative. (575 characters)

3.07/5  rDev +8.9%

Poured into 10oz glass. Poured a clean, clear dark gold (much lighter than a Red/Amber should be) with about 1/4 inch of white head that no retention or lacing.

The aroma had a pleasant sweet earthiness to it and a bit of spiciness in the background. The flavors were the same, nothing special. The body was a bit thin. Drinkability was OK, but not notable. Overall, a surprisingly decent beer. It won't ever be my first choice, but, to quote my friend Amber"it's palatable". If you have a gluten intolerant friend steer them towards this. (540 characters)

Redbridge from Anheuser-Busch