2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Redbridge - Anheuser-Busch

RedbridgeRedbridge

poor

Anheuser-Busch visit their website
Missouri, United States

American Amber / Red Lager |  4.00% ABV

Rich, hearty and full-bodied gluten-free lager brewed from sorghum. Redbridge has a distinctively fruity hop aroma, a sweet toasted grain flavor and a well-balanced, moderately
hopped finish.

(Beer added by: BeerBeing on 12-10-2006)
View: Beers (76) |  Events
« first ‹ prev | 126-150 | 151-175 | 176-200  | next › last »
Ratings: 349 | Reviews: 195 | Show All Ratings:
jeremiahjsmith

3.23/5  rDev +21%

A - deep golden-orange, just shy of amber. Perfectly clear with a thin head that leaves no lace, despite the strong carbonation observed adhering to the sides of the glass.

S - slight maple syrup, soft floral note. Neither is very strong.

T - mildly medicinal initial taste followed by a broad bitterness that balances nicely with the maple sweetness. Warm alcohol heat finishes the drink.

M - Not a lot of body, quite fizzy.

D - I might cross the street for one of these beers, but it would depend on the number of lanes.

03-02-2007 14:59:03 | More by jeremiahjsmith
rkuhnel

3.55/5  rDev +33%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

I only paid $7.95 for a six-pack of this at my local North Coast Coop here in Eureka, CA. IF you need gluten-free beer this seems like a good price for something so specialized. It poured a clear amber with a nice white head that left almost no lacing. Nose of malts and hops. Mouthfeel is somewhat rich and finish is dry. For an AB product this is actually pretty decent.

02-28-2007 18:26:57 | More by rkuhnel
SetarconeX

3.83/5  rDev +43.4%

Picked this up out of curiosity about what sorghum beer might taste like. Didn't even think of the fact it might have been made for people for celiac disease until I saw people mention it here. Good to know they can have a beer too.

And, to be honest, it's not a half bad one. Smells a bit weird, sorta like someone brewed beer from a bowl of raisin bran, with quite a few more hops than I ever expected AB to put in a beer.

I actually rather like this stuff. Might give it another try later.

02-26-2007 22:45:25 | More by SetarconeX
Freshie

1.98/5  rDev -25.8%

I know this gluten-free and thus one of the only beers available for a myriad of people with certain medical conditions, in which gluten is a no no.

With that being said, I applaud A-B for making this beer. Reaching out to an otherwise beerless people.

However, it tastes bad. It reminds me of children's medicine. The sweetness seems really articfical.

Almost like a facade of beer. A shadow of beer. It is hard to drink, and that is my honest opinion.

02-22-2007 03:19:58 | More by Freshie
BuckeyeNation

Iowa

2.85/5  rDev +6.7%

Bright orange-amber, comfortably favoring the former. It doesn't look as though sorghum is as good for head formation and retention as barley or wheat. The cap is dingy ecru and looks to be of poor quality. It's soft and unsticky, with no more than a few scraps of froth finding their way to the glass. The color of the beer is the only thing keeping the apperance score where it is.

On a good note, the nose is mildly toasted grain-like with a whiff of hops. On a not so good note, it's barely detectable at all. I'm in danger of dipping the tip of my nose each time I try to assess it. If Redbridge doesn't have more going for it on the palate, this will be a long twelve ounces.

Two thoughts. First, it'll take some doing to get my mind and my palate around the uniqueness of this gluten-free offering. Second, while I appreciate and applaud A-B's efforts to provide for those people who can't otherwise drink beer, I think it's only fair to judge it as I would any other amber ale. Just because it's arguably the best gluten-free beer on the planet doesn't necessarily mean that it's good beer.

Redbridge is more sour than it is sweet or bitter. It tastes like the brewers have managed to tamp down the worst tendencies of a grain that isn't ideally suited for the brewing of beer. It's still obvious to me that something other than the usual ingredients have been used. If they could have coaxed a little more sweetness out of the grain, or a little more flavor out of the hops, this would be a more enjoyable experience.

The mouthfeel is lighter than it should be for the style, yet there's a strange finishing slickness that seems out of place. A few too many finely fizzy bubbles results in a mildly annoying buzziness that doesn't calm down much in the bottom half of the bottle.

The fact that Redbridge isn't great beer probably matters not one whit to those with Celiac Disease or similar afflictions. At least it's better beer than Bard's Tale Dragon's Gold (partly because this is an amber ale and Gold is an American macro lager). For those of us fortunate enough to have other options, I believe the drinkablity score is as above. For those who have no other choice, add two points.

02-19-2007 14:02:15 | More by BuckeyeNation
Beeryce

3.38/5  rDev +26.6%

This is my first Gluten free beer, found it at Wal-Mart. Rather costly at over $7.00 a six-pack, but I had to try it.

There is a nice golden, slightly amber hued, color to the beer placing it in the catchall category of American Amber/Red Lager. The head is white and frothy with moderate stability, as it never disappears. However, there is not the lacing I expected from the quality of hops used. The beer is rather carbonated, even for a lager.

The nose is very nice the premium hops used really take over. The imported Hallertau and domestic Cascade hops combine to give a great rounded hop profile. First the Nobel floral Hallertau and then oily, dank piney Cascades fill the nose. There is only a very slight malt character barely detectable, but it is nice.

The taste is likewise very hoppy. But again there is a slight maltiness, which this time balances and accents nicely. The taste starts bright floral, the Hallertau’s, then the maltiness balances and cuts the flavor for a moment before the bitter Cascades dominate and linger for the aftertaste.

The mouthfeel is good and matches the style and taste well. It is slightly thick but finishes a tad dry.

Drinkability is average; the hoppiness may be too much after a few. I imagine the high quality hops were used to add flavor, as the sorghum seems to impart little taste. I wonder if the sorghum is roasted at all?

I think this is a great beer, I think they have done a great job of making a beer for those with gluten allergies. I am not sure I would buy it again, but that is due to the price.

02-14-2007 00:45:37 | More by Beeryce
mclanem

2.78/5  rDev +4.1%

This Beer is unique especially to me since it is the first gluten free beer I have ever had. I image though that even though it is made with out wheat or barley it should have more flavor than it does. I will give it some credit being an Anheuser Bush beer I can't expect a whole heck of a lot. Now to the break down. The beer has a surprisingly deep amber color with a bit of a head to it, which doesn't hold very well at all. Has very little smell to it at all. like I mentioned before it has little taste, I would describe it as watery. Mouthfeel is it's strong point, as with most Anheuser Bush beers it is refreshing like a soda. Drinkability is poor for me since I found it bland and boring I will not drink more than the one I bought.

02-13-2007 00:26:15 | More by mclanem
Jredner

3.58/5  rDev +34.1%

The aroma is light and mildly sweet with a faint perfumed soap aroma. Those good soaps that are just for show mind you, not the ones you wash your butt with. It actually smells of in a non-beer kind of way. The body is a light amber/copper color with a diminishing white head that starts a thumb thick, fades, but then holds. As pale lagers go it looks pretty inviting.

That perfumey sweetness is there in the fore. It tastes a little like patchouli and potpourri mix. Yes, I have tasted both. It finishes with a sort of apple and flower finish. Has a moderately biting carbonation and detectable hops. This is not a bad beer at all. I actually think this puppy would sell well if marketed as a ladies (or guys) who hate beer. That being said....it’s good for what it is. My raped taste buds are screaming for more.

02-07-2007 18:10:05 | More by Jredner
lackenhauser

Maryland

3.3/5  rDev +23.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

I cant imagine having celiac disease and not being able to consume things with gluten. its amazing what all we eat that contains it. That being said I was eager to try this beer. I think I have read that sorghum beers are big in rural parts of Africa.

Decent color and carbonation level. Somewhat of a slight coppery golden color. Aroma is just there-to me a BUD has more aroma then this. Doesnt even really say "beer". Flavor is a tad sweet-almost malty. It is sweet like unfermented wort. Very slight trace of hops to it. Mouthfeel is decent enough. As I reach the bottom of the glass the whole package is quite enjoyable. While I dont think I would buy this again, AB has done an admirable job in producing something quite drinkable.

02-04-2007 00:02:51 | More by lackenhauser
mattd017

3.68/5  rDev +37.8%

Wow... A-B really actually took time to come up with this one. Pours a cloudy brown, with red hints. Has a good thick white head and maintains a ring around the outside through every pull on the beer. Lacks any lacing though, which is disappointing. Has a sweet, malty scent. Nice fruit flavor, with slight hop bite and something else in the ending. Could be Sorghum. I am incredibly impressed. Much better than that Red Hook crap A-B tries to sell as real beer.

01-31-2007 21:29:37 | More by mattd017
rowew

Colorado

3.5/5  rDev +31.1%

Presentation: 12 oz longneck bottle, embossed with the AB crest on the shoulder. "Beer made from sorghum - made without wheat or barley." No readable freshness date - disappointing from the people pushing born on dating.

Appearance: Clear amber color, thinnish head, decent retention and just a bit of lacing.

Smell: Aroma is a bit off from what I would expect - closer to adjunts than that of a normal beer. I assume this is from the sorghum?

Taste: Interesting - a slightly different sweetness than I would normally expect. Not quite the normal malty flavor, but there is some grainy flavors here. A bit of hops in the finish.

Overall impression: This is a fairly solid beer, even when not considering its intent. It is a decent vienna style lager - drinkable and fairly balanced. When you consider this is aimed at the gluten free market, this is an even better beer. My wife is celiac, so I'm always on the lookout for gluten free beers - so far this is definitely one of the frontrunners.

01-31-2007 01:33:43 | More by rowew
NeroFiddled

3.18/5  rDev +19.1%

I pulled a Redbridge from my fridge not knowing what it was. I poured it and was pleased with the appearance. Nice frothy white head... clear deep amber with golden highlights. I raised it to take a sip and noticed hops in the nose. Crisp... slightly elevated fine-bubbled carbonation. The flavor was a little odd, sweetish and kind of off-kilter, so I looked at the label... "Beer Made From Sorghum". Ahhh! That explains it then. OK. Hmmm. Not bad! My last Celiac beer, if I can call it that, was unimpressive, but this was good. There's a strong hop flavor upfront, grassy and spicy, that screams "BEER"! Beyond that it's malty; although I'm not sure if Sorghum is malted. I'd guess it is. It's the seed of a grass, just like barley. It's graininess is a touch rough and cardboard-ish (but not from oxidation), and it becomes sweet at the swallow. Unfortunately, it then becomes a bit astringent and harsh, lingering like that with bitterness and dully grassy and spicy hops for quite a bit. Still, I'd prefer this to almost all of the other Celiac beers I've had. For people with Celiac's disease, I'd highly recommend trying this one.

01-31-2007 00:53:02 | More by NeroFiddled
Cyberkedi

Georgia

4.08/5  rDev +52.8%

This is unlike any beer I have ever tasted, probably because it is brewed with sorghum. It is not radically different from other beers, but it is still distinctive. Redbridge neither looks nor tastes like a product of one of the "big boys," so I was surprised to learn that Anheuser-Busch brews it.

The dark amber color is very inviting, and the unique taste has fruity undertones. It has a good bite without being bitter and feels lively on your tongue. I am glad to know that people who must avoid regular beer due to allergies or other medical issues can drink at least one more-than-adequate brewski!

01-30-2007 01:57:58 | More by Cyberkedi
nephlim

4.03/5  rDev +50.9%

Having been just diagnosed with Celiac disease, I was very sad at the thought of never drinking beer again. I never would have thought that Anheuser-Busch would make enjoying beer again a posibillity.

I poured it into a pint glass, and was very surprised to see a good rusty brown-red colour. It doesn't look very thick; pouring more like a thin pilsner, but forms a wonderful head nonetheless. Probably the best poor of any bud product I've ever seen.

Smell was not too bad at all. There was hopps, alcohol, and the interesting smell of sorghum.

Taste: thin. Not a bad thing though. One expects a "beer" flavour and that is what one gets. The sorghum adds an interesting flavour, kind of like getting lime when expecting lemon, but it's close enough that I won't complain (it was my first beer in 5 months).

The aftertaste was very nice. The hopps come through most here.

Overall I was happy. At just over $8.50 at my local beer shop, it's a steal when compaired with other gluten-free beers. Expensive for bud, but not for a good micro. I think I'll pretend it's just that.

Bravo

01-29-2007 06:32:00 | More by nephlim
Georgiabeer

Georgia

Pours a light amber with a short white head that dissipates pretty quick. Smells slightly sweet like a cross between maple syrup and light molasses. Fairly faint, but not unpleasant. The taste is similarly sweet, but surprisingly restrained. There is also a slight bitterness that balances the sweetness. Comes off as quite a bit more flavorful than the common AB product. Medium to light body, not overcarbonated. Fades as it warms, definitely one to drink fairly quickly. Surprisingly okay for a sorghum beer. I am not a celiac, but I very much appreciate their difficulty and I think that AB should be commended for bringing to market such an important product that still tastes reasonably like a beer.

01-28-2007 22:56:25 | More by Georgiabeer
bluejacket74

I know it's a Bud product, but I was able to buy a single bottle of this so I figured why not try it. The beer pours a dark gold color with a small off-white head. The head went away quickly. It smells sweet, but also like apples and a bit spicy. The taste starts off sweet, but then a metallic taste comes through, and it has a weird bitter finish. The mouthfeel is on the thin side, but it's not bad. Drinkability is OK too, but not great. Overall it's OK, it's pretty average all the way around. Not bad, not great. I don't know if I would pay for this again, but I would drink it some other time.

01-27-2007 00:06:12 | More by bluejacket74
goochpunch

3.2/5  rDev +19.9%

Pours an almost still looking honey colored body with a thin head that fizzles out to a ring. Smell is really faint but what I do get reminds me of a mix of pure alcohol and caraway. Again, I get the caraway thing here as well as some grainy flavor I've never experienced before. I'm to assume this is the sorghum. I like it. Mouthfeel is a bit thin, but thickened by the sugars, Carbonation is decent. This is interesting enough for me to keep on drinking.

01-24-2007 04:58:46 | More by goochpunch
ElGordo

Oregon

2.48/5  rDev -7.1%

Got this in at the shop a couple of weeks ago and I figured that, in the interest of customer service, I needed to try it. Pours a deep golden color topped by a finger of creamy off-white head that is pretty quick to vanish. Very still, almost no carbonation in the body. Aroma is a bit sweet - I guess that's what sorghum smells like. Palate is mildly sweet up front, then develops a dry, rather harsh bitterness that doesn't seem to come from any hops. Mouthfeel is a little dry and chalky, kind of odd.
I suppose if misfortune were to befall me and I were unable to drink beer brewed with malt, this would be an acceptable approximation. More likely, though, I'd stick with whisky.

01-17-2007 05:43:33 | More by ElGordo
BEERchitect

Kentucky

3.28/5  rDev +22.8%

Yea, I fell for it. Glad to see A-B trying some experimental stuff. The beer reminds me of my first few batches of homebrew. Turned out overly malty (with something) spicy, and pepery. Sweetness and viscous similar to some other no-malt beers. I must say that this one seems better than them. Though the beer fell apart and the body turned out thin, the initial flavors show similar qualities to some Belgian malts, minus the yeasts. Overtly sweet well into the finish made it hard to drink late. A tacky feel on the palate with a heavy buttery feel. Not likely to try one again, but this session was not the expected disaster.

01-17-2007 00:12:53 | More by BEERchitect
mickeymac

3.48/5  rDev +30.3%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

My wife was diagnosed with gluten intolerance in 2001. She had been a beer drinker and was told beer was on the banned list. Using internet sources, I set out to make her gluten free beer. It was a real effort. Nobody sold malted sorghum or buckwheat, so the the entire process took weeks, and the results were mixed. Perhaps this effort predisposed me to liking a well-made GF beer. A gluten free beer from a brewery with the money to do it right was an exciting prospect. At the same time, I picked up some Redbridge and some Bard's Tale, another GF beer. In a blind tasting, my wife and I both preferred Redbridge by a wide margin. It had no funky smell or taste that is common with GF beers. Most occasional beer drinkers would probably not recognize it as anything but beer. It has a slightly darker color than Budweiser and enough hops to make things interesting. When compared against American Macros, the taste is actually a refreshing change. Not surprisingly, AB had the foresight to market this beer as a "Beer Made from Sorghum," rather than a "Gluten Free Beer." By doing so, AB will almost certainly pick up some market share from drinkers who don't have celiac disease but just like the taste. This is a good development for celiacs everywhere but bad news for the small guys who have been laboring for years to come up with a commercial GF beer.

01-12-2007 05:38:17 | More by mickeymac