Busch Ice - Anheuser-Busch

Anheuser-Busch visit their website
Missouri, United States

American Adjunct Lager |  5.90% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 04-25-2002

Busch Ice is a smooth-tasting ice beer. It is brewed with a blend of premium American-grown and imported hops and a combination of malt and corn to provide a pleasant balanced flavor.
Ratings: 273 | Reviews: 55

Well since I am not far removed from my frat days I thought I would put in my two cents. Straw pale white head mild corn malt smell with wet cardboard in there. The taste is intense sweet followed with a horrid wet cardboard and that taste I associate with the 3am results of my frat benges. very bad even for a macro. The reason I brew my own

1.1/5  rDev -34.5%

Terrible. Burnt corn taste mixed with rubbing alcohol. Absolutely awful. I'd drink any 40 of malt liquor before I touch this again. Sometimes, I wonder why I try these low-end beers. Every once in awhile you find a diamond in the rough, but this is just rough, period.

1.24/5  rDev -26.2%

I had this left over from when my friends and I celebrated quitting our shitty job, so I figured that I better review it before it expires.

A: The appearance is not too bad. The beer has nice lacing and some good gold color. The fluffy head completes your typical macro picture.

S: The smell is really sweet and adjunct. It is so bad I wanted to barf.

T: The taste is at best weak and light. At worst it is skunky, adjunct, and sweet even worse than the smell. It was disgusting.

M: It was way too thin.

D: I want to say that it is completely undrinkable. But at our celebration I did down 8 of these fing things, so that counts for something.

This might be the worst beer ever. But I am not going to drink either Old Mud or this again to compare and find out.

1.25/5  rDev -25.6%
look: 1.25 | smell: 1.25 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 1.25 | overall: 1.25

I got my fair share of cheap beers, but this beer on another level. What the hell is that nasty aftertaste? Worst beer I ever had. Also isn't there supposed to be hops in there?

1.28/5  rDev -23.8%
look: 1.75 | smell: 1.25 | taste: 1 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 1.5

One of my top 5 worst beers of all time.

1.35/5  rDev -19.6%

I know we're supposed to be constructive here, but this "beer" is absolute crap. If they mail it in on the brewing, can't I mail it in on my review? Not like anyone takes great pride in the taste of this stuff.

It's a pale yellow with a fizzy white head, heavily carbonated. Taste is offensive, with adjunk and other horrors I can't put my finger on.

If it looks like pee and it tastes like pee, can you really call it beer?

1.48/5  rDev -11.9%

not sure i understand the 2.64 rating this one had when the top rating was 2.6...? i am pretty good in math and neer as i can tell this one should be below 1.5.

with that being said. i purchased this cheapy cuz my usual cheapie ice beer was gone. i should have passed. yuck. if this is ice ice (baby) cold and your are super thirsty and want a buz, pound down about 5 or 6 of these. if you want to enjoy a nice beer you better keep lookin!

suckem up and movem out!!!

giblet

1.5/5  rDev -10.7%

Seriously, I do know better, honest, I just wanted something dirt cheap to guzzle by the pool on a summer afternoon (it's a complex pool so no glass). Is that so wrong?

Apparently so. Pee yellow color. No head. A nose full of sweet corn and rice. Something resembling malt briefly makes an appearance in the taste but mostly it tastes like rusty water. The aftertaste is a delightful combination of metal and ass. Thin and insipid in texture. I promise to never buy this crud again and return to Schlitz or PBR next time I want to go to the pool.

1.5/5  rDev -10.7%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

Busch Ice had a high ABV and could be had (IIRC) for under eight bucks for a 24 pack. You can't beat that pricing!

Pours a flat yellow. Little to no head. Taste is watery with (strangely) not enough carbonation. This was actually worse than the Natural Ice/Light series, due to a horrible aftertaste that I can still recall to this day.

Avoid like the plague.

1.58/5  rDev -6%

Some friends left this in my fridge. Really. But I'm too damn cheap to throw it away. So, after pouring, I'd wished I'd left it in the can. Its shockingly clear, but has marvelous carbonation, and a quick, clean head. The aroma is somewhat corn-like and canny(?).

The taste is much to write about. Its got a very simple profile, like straining beer over the tongue. There are lots of subtle off flavors, but nothing too offensive. What is surprising is how quickly the beer makes my feel bloated, gassy. Possibly due to the speed with which I drank it.

1.58/5  rDev -6%

This one time (just once) I wanted to drink to forget my problems, and being a) cheap and b) not wanting to drink Natty Ice I tried this crap. Mistake. Where Natty at least serves a metallic taste that makes it seem like your drinking a medium-bodied beer, this clear yellowish hogwash is like drinking flat water. Worse than the aftertaste is that you will be feeling them like Natty, except you might end up drinking them faster because you're not tasting anything at all. Seriously, there's nothing in this beer at all.

1.6/5  rDev -4.8%

The beer leaves the can a light gold with a moderate sized whit semi-creamy head and the left over lace a thin coating upon the glass. Nose is malt, crisp and clean, start is lightly sweet with the top thin as water. Finish is strict in its acidity, the hops meek and the aftertaste dry as a desert summer. Been four plus years since I gagged one of these down.

1.63/5  rDev -3%

Buch is one of my favorite lines in the Anheuser Busch family. It is quite inexpensive and more enjoyable than the more expensive lines like Bud. However, I can't tell much of a difference between the different Busch beers.

This one is yellow with a light tan head. The nose has some subtle grain presence. The taste is a bit bitter and stale, but still has the faint grain flavor. The body is light and fizzy as usual. A good cheap beer.

1.65/5  rDev -1.8%

Well for its class its only moderately as disappointing as I thought it would be.
Pours a straw color, small head, no lacing.
Smells of corn and grassy booze.
Tastes of weird dried fruits and corny/ricey flavors with a major blandness shining through.
Thin mouthfeel that is unacceptable.
Not very drinkable, could not drink on a normal basis.

1.65/5  rDev -1.8%

A: Very clear yellowish color with a large, fluffy, off white head
Smell: Almost nothing.
Taste: Extremely bland...I can't taste much of anything going on here except for some mild bitterness.
Mouthfeel: Almost no carbonation at all...it's almost flat.
Drinkability: I'm being generous here...yes its easily drinkable...but so is water.

1.73/5  rDev +3%
look: 2 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 2.5

A macro drinking friend of mine accidentally left a couple of cans of this beer at my house the other day, so I figured what the hell, I'll give it a shot. The beer pours like most other macro lagers: very pale color, large head that dissipates quickly. Aroma was a mix of corn, old veges and light malts. No hop aroma whatsoever. Taste was the same, but also a little fruity and spritzy with a faint alcoholic flavor. Mouthfeel was very light and quite thin. I gave the drinkability a little higher score being that I can probably see my self chugging one of these on a 90 degree Summer day. I'm surpised there are so few reviews for this beer, considering it's in every grocery and convenience store between here and the Pacific ocean.

1.88/5  rDev +11.9%

Golden body, pours without forming a proper head, no lace. Faint corn cereal and green apple aroma. Doughy malt and corn syrup flavour, with a moderately strong green apple character. Alcohol is a tiny bit harsh, but bearable. Unpleasant, but bearable. Light-bodied with low carbonation, but not watery. Seems to have little more body than Busch Beer. Much as I expected, this is like a slightly concentrated version of Busch. Unfortunately, that means the off-flavours in Busch Beer are concentrated as well.

1.95/5  rDev +16.1%
look: 1.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 1.75

This beer seems to be somewhat of a rare find for an A-B product. Please correct me if I'm wrong on that.

I am going to be enjoying a 25 fluid ounce can (ONE EXTRA OUNCE! - BUY 24 CANS GET ONE FREE!) that was brewed at the Fairfield, California, brewery located about 2 hours southwest of me. That last fact is amusing because the 25 ounce can of Budweiser I purchased last week was brewed at the Houston, Texas, brewery, located thousands of miles away. Maybe Fairfield is too busy cranking out the Busch Ice to make Budweiser?

A: Apple juice. I've recently drank Busch (lol) and can say that the ice version is many shades darker, although not dark enough to be attractive. After a minute the beer is absolutely still with the faintest-possible foam ring. No lacing at all. Like I said, apple juice.

S: Cold raw red meat. Metallic and salty. Some sweetness that is slightly fruity (apples and raspberries.) Spent grains. There is a healthy amount alcohol in the smell.

T: This is an ice beer. It's based on a parent beer (Busch) and should have a concentrated taste of that beer. Busch Ice is the ice version of a beer that has no taste. See what I'm saying? It's hard to knock this beer for being flavorless, but damn, even in the A-B world there are much better choices for both the money and ABV percentage. The first 2/3rds of a drink is sweet followed by the the last 1/3rd being sour. Not bitter, sour. This has that signature Busch "aspirin" flavor.

M: The best part of this beer. Busch's only redeeming value is that it has an intense carbonation that makes it refreshing and easy to pound (sorry, drink.) Busch Ice tries to replicate that. If you pour mildly you'll get it. Creaminess lingers on the palate after swallowing. Carbonation is stinging. Thicker than expected. Very enjoyable.

O: Well, at least you can actually catch a buzz off of the ice version, but I guess that's the point? When comparing Busch Ice to it's brothers I'd say that Bud Ice is MUCH smoother and easier to drink and Natty Ice has a MUCH better flavor and is easier to drink. Or, for the same price or less, just grab a Hurricane High Gravity!

I want to like Busch Ice. I really do. Drinking this non-critically will give better results, but *cough*, Hurricane High Gravity.

1.98/5  rDev +17.9%

a pale yellow with no head to speak of what so ever, really just a clear, over carbonated mess of a look for me. but a trudge on. weak grains, touches of light corn and bready notes abound here, again not that i was expecting a ton of wonderful flavor here, but it could have been more then the wet cardboard that i got. clean and crisp, light feel worked for the style and it went down smooth and easy,

1.98/5  rDev +17.9%

Much harder to find for whatever reason than Natural Ice, which one can find anywhere in central MA in 30-packs. Finally spotted a 12 pack of this and got it, hoping it'd at least be somewhat better than the Natty, what with the family name on it and all. Alas, not the case. A lot of reviews here saying this was bland; I found it unduly harsh. The regular 4.6% Busch is much easier to drink. The 5.9% strength is great, but not worth the flavor penalty.

Standard macro-gold appearance, nothing wrong there. The label is somewhat less silly than the Natty Ice at least, and nowhere near as embarrassing as Beast Ice. Smell isn't too bad either, although one can tell one is headed for trouble; light macro smell with a kind of stingy quality to it. Texture might be ok, but frankly all the attention is taken up by the harsh flavor, which has a kind of burning fuel-oil quality to it. In short, there's not enough beer to handle the 5.9% abv. Plainly not meant to be tasted; made for drinking quickly while very cold.

A- Thin watery pale yellow with frothy head that fades fast but has ok lace.

S- Faint hints of corn adjuncts, rice, funk, and sweet malt

T- Watery with hints of sweet corn and musty funk hops. Mostly taste like water. You have to try really hard to taste the hints.

M- Thin, fizzy, watery

D- This is a drain pour. If you must drink it, I suggest doing a shotgun.

Poured from a 24 ounce can with born on date on the bottom of the can. Do you think freshness matters cuz my can said born on Sept 08. Poured into a pint glass no head. Very little carbonation. Straw yellow color. I drank this very cold cuz I figured its an ice beer I should drink it ice cold. Not much flavor other than rice and corn. Went down pretty smooth and fast.

Pours a clean/clear yellow color, some carbonation, small white fizzy head, with some minimal sticky lacing left behind. The nose is kinda malty, very slight hop note, mostly grainy/ricey. The taste is kinda sweet, and the usual grain/rice note. Light Body, a thirst quencher, but still a pretty shitty brew. Typical macro.

2.05/5  rDev +22%

500ml Can from the Ottawa LCBO for 1.90$

Appearance - Clear light yellow colour with an average size fizzy white coloured head. There is an above average amount of carbonation showing and there is some faint lacing. The head lasted for 2-3 minutes.

Smell - Malts, breads/grains, metallic, corn

Taste & Mouth - There is an above average amount of carbonation and I can taste malts and corn mixed with some light fruity notes. There is also a graininess and it ends with a slightly sweet aftertaste.

Overall - The flashy new can/label caught my eye, but this is just another poor macro with a little bit of extra alcohol. A good beer for the university kids trying to get drunk I suppose. I wouldn't buy this again.

2.06/5  rDev +22.6%

355ml can, 6.0 % ABV, and made in that backwater AB-Inbev backwater of Edmonton, AB. Wait, I live here! Single can from some random walk-by liquor store.

This beer pours crystal clear, very pale golden pee colour (I've got a two-month old, so this I know!), with three rather surprising fingers of puffy, tightly foamy bone white head, which leaves some actual, honest to goodness loose coral lace around the glass as it evenly recedes.

It smells of pretty sweet corn grist, mashed green apple, a certain mineral water character, and a general dusty mustiness. The taste is more sweet, gritty, and grainy malted corn, a bit of overcooked rice, and an indistinct wet mustiness - very much the semblance of any crappy neighbourhood pub whose doors I've sparingly darkened the doorstep of late (Hello, H20 Lounge!). No appreciable warming from the extra point of booze, so a win for AB-Inbev, then, eh?

The bubbles are hardly noticeable, the body on the light side, but not so much so, and smooth and creamy, down to the proscribed dotted i and crossed t. It finishes sweet, apple-ish, and generally inoffensive to the insensitive tastebuds of the world, I would imagine.

While not good by any stretch of the imagination, this follows the BMC trope of dumbing everything down to the simplest flavours, and ramming that down our throats. This isn't really that hard to drink, even with the extra bit of booze - I'd take it over any Minhas product in a heartbeat, but that's a world where beer would be my last drink of choice.

Busch Ice from Anheuser-Busch