Busch Ice - Anheuser-Busch

Anheuser-Busch visit their website
Missouri, United States

American Adjunct Lager |  5.90% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 04-25-2002

Busch Ice is a smooth-tasting ice beer. It is brewed with a blend of premium American-grown and imported hops and a combination of malt and corn to provide a pleasant balanced flavor.
Ratings: 274 | Reviews: 55
1.98/5  rDev +17.9%

a pale yellow with no head to speak of what so ever, really just a clear, over carbonated mess of a look for me. but a trudge on. weak grains, touches of light corn and bready notes abound here, again not that i was expecting a ton of wonderful flavor here, but it could have been more then the wet cardboard that i got. clean and crisp, light feel worked for the style and it went down smooth and easy,

2.06/5  rDev +22.6%

355ml can, 6.0 % ABV, and made in that backwater AB-Inbev backwater of Edmonton, AB. Wait, I live here! Single can from some random walk-by liquor store.

This beer pours crystal clear, very pale golden pee colour (I've got a two-month old, so this I know!), with three rather surprising fingers of puffy, tightly foamy bone white head, which leaves some actual, honest to goodness loose coral lace around the glass as it evenly recedes.

It smells of pretty sweet corn grist, mashed green apple, a certain mineral water character, and a general dusty mustiness. The taste is more sweet, gritty, and grainy malted corn, a bit of overcooked rice, and an indistinct wet mustiness - very much the semblance of any crappy neighbourhood pub whose doors I've sparingly darkened the doorstep of late (Hello, H20 Lounge!). No appreciable warming from the extra point of booze, so a win for AB-Inbev, then, eh?

The bubbles are hardly noticeable, the body on the light side, but not so much so, and smooth and creamy, down to the proscribed dotted i and crossed t. It finishes sweet, apple-ish, and generally inoffensive to the insensitive tastebuds of the world, I would imagine.

While not good by any stretch of the imagination, this follows the BMC trope of dumbing everything down to the simplest flavours, and ramming that down our throats. This isn't really that hard to drink, even with the extra bit of booze - I'd take it over any Minhas product in a heartbeat, but that's a world where beer would be my last drink of choice.

2.77/5  rDev +64.9%

I CAN't believe how long it has taken to unearth this gem in support of The CANQuest (TM)! One of my more regular traders noticed it on my Wants and sent some along for my CANsumption. Now, if I could just lay hands on the still-elusive Beer:30 in a CAN, I'd be making significant progress. Or not ...

From the CAN: "Ice Brewed For Exceptional Smoothness"; "One of the World's Largest Recyclers". I CAN definitely get behind that last bit!

The Crack & Glug went off without a hitch and I was looking at two very foamy fingers of bone-white head with lousy retention. It disappeared as quickly as any of my students when the bell rings. Bye! The color was a pale sunshine-yellow and I might have mistaken it for a light version of a beer, had I not been able to read that it was an Ice version. The nose was just more of the same ol' same old. Same beer, different day. I CANnot understand how I used to enjoy such things in my youth. It smelled like silage, plain and simple. More corn than a hog could eat from its trough over an entire summer. Blah! And yet, it is stylistically correct. Oof. It is sometimes enough to make me regret this undertaking. Mouthfeel was medium with a slight lager sweetness underlain by corn and cotton candy. How do they make this swill?!? It should not taste like this and yet so many do! Finish was indeed smooth, given that I did not have to choke it down, but neither was it terribly pleasurable. It was what I imagine drinking Liquid Oxygen (LOX) would be like. Cold, semi-dry, liquid, but not much beyond that. I would not bother seeking this out, nor taking up valuable cooler space.

2.88/5  rDev +71.4%

Pours a pale, see through gold with a big foamy, fizzy, white head that quickly fades. The nose is very grainy and fruity. The flavor is grainy, slightly fruity with an apple-like off note, a bit malty, and a bit of hops in the finish. The mouthfeel is medium bodied, smooth, a little warm, and the carbonation is just right.

For the style it isn't awful. The body is a little better than expected. The flavor isn't offensive, but it isn't great either. I'll probably pass in the future.

Pours a clean/clear yellow color, some carbonation, small white fizzy head, with some minimal sticky lacing left behind. The nose is kinda malty, very slight hop note, mostly grainy/ricey. The taste is kinda sweet, and the usual grain/rice note. Light Body, a thirst quencher, but still a pretty shitty brew. Typical macro.

2.74/5  rDev +63.1%

Thanks to woodychandler for this beer. Poured from a 12 oz. can. Has a very pale yellow color with a smallish head. Smell is mostly of corn, a touch of malt. Taste is of grains, corn, alcohol, a slight bitterness at the finish. Feels light in the mouth and has average drinkability. Overall there is nothing special about this beer.

2.15/5  rDev +28%

This is what they call a blast from the past. Had quite a few of these back in the day in Charleston, SC & Daytona, FL. My first spring break. Might as well crush another one on a Monday night while watching pro wrestling I thought. $1 a can in the loose bin at the gas station.

Yellow, thin soapy head, no retention after poured into my Jake the Snake tasting glass. A sweet corn and sugar with the metal can from canned vegetables type of aroma, not harsh, just kinda kitschy value-esque.

Taste, meh, not much going on, but I think it is a little better than regular Busch, for whatever that is worth. Don't even go around thinking you're gonna pull some hop quality out of thise beer. In the mouthfeel, especially as it warms, the beer gets a little rough with the almost fusel like alcohol remnants. Corn pops would seem like a good food pairing with this.

Not worth $1 a can.

1.6/5  rDev -4.8%

The beer leaves the can a light gold with a moderate sized whit semi-creamy head and the left over lace a thin coating upon the glass. Nose is malt, crisp and clean, start is lightly sweet with the top thin as water. Finish is strict in its acidity, the hops meek and the aftertaste dry as a desert summer. Been four plus years since I gagged one of these down.

2.05/5  rDev +22%

500ml Can from the Ottawa LCBO for 1.90$

Appearance - Clear light yellow colour with an average size fizzy white coloured head. There is an above average amount of carbonation showing and there is some faint lacing. The head lasted for 2-3 minutes.

Smell - Malts, breads/grains, metallic, corn

Taste & Mouth - There is an above average amount of carbonation and I can taste malts and corn mixed with some light fruity notes. There is also a graininess and it ends with a slightly sweet aftertaste.

Overall - The flashy new can/label caught my eye, but this is just another poor macro with a little bit of extra alcohol. A good beer for the university kids trying to get drunk I suppose. I wouldn't buy this again.

1.58/5  rDev -6%

This one time (just once) I wanted to drink to forget my problems, and being a) cheap and b) not wanting to drink Natty Ice I tried this crap. Mistake. Where Natty at least serves a metallic taste that makes it seem like your drinking a medium-bodied beer, this clear yellowish hogwash is like drinking flat water. Worse than the aftertaste is that you will be feeling them like Natty, except you might end up drinking them faster because you're not tasting anything at all. Seriously, there's nothing in this beer at all.

2.96/5  rDev +76.2%

Found this in a gas station ice trough, I have never seen Busch ice before and I drank more than my fair share of Busch products in college. Pours a light gold color with a typical rapidly failing, large-bubbled head. It is a bit darker than most macros though.

Slightly skunky, slightly fruity Busch nose...only kicked up a couple notches. A bit of cooked vegetables in there, mostly corn and a mild herbal note that might possibly resemble a couple hop cones.

Whats this? Flavor? Its true. Grainy, sweet malts and a dry, boozy alcohol taste. This beer might feel more comfortable in a 40oz clear glass bottle than this tall-boy can. I did not say it was good flavor, but flavor it has nonetheless. I do not really mind drinking this beer. Some of these ice beers are not that bad, for a AAL you could do much worse and still not catch a buzz.

3.73/5  rDev +122%

Busch Ice (not available in Louisiana) has a faint, almost neutral aroma and a clear, straw color, which is standard for this genre. The flavor is nice and mild, and mouth feel is moderate. The above-average alcohol level gives the drinker a comforting feeling. I'd say that this rather rare beer is above average in its class. I wish it was more widely available. I've only seen it in St. Louis, Missouri and Memphis, Tennessee.
RJT

3.45/5  rDev +105.4%

12oz can
Served in a nonic

A - It pours yellow in color and is crystal clear. It is topped with over an inch of fluffy white head.

S - It smells sweet like most macros.

T - It tastes rather bland. It is a little sweet, but there is not a whole lot of flavor.

M - Thin

O - I find it quite drinkable for a house beer. I usually drink this or Busch after a sixer of some good stuff. It helps polish off the night.

2.53/5  rDev +50.6%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Appearance: Clear, pale golden color, with a large white head, thick, sticky lace, and numerous streams of small, fast-rising carbonation. The head retention is fairly good, the head eventually collapses to a small layer, but does not entirely disappear.

Aroma: Prominent, sweet alcohol and cooked grain dominate the aroma, with faint herbal hop notes as well.

Taste: Opens with mild malt and sweet alcohol, late in the taste there are some bitter, metallic notes, the finish is crisp and dry.

Mouth feel: Smooth and soft on the palate, a bit thin.

Drinkability/notes: Not that bad, really, cheap, and would be refreshing on a hot summer day. Not a great beer, certainly, but you already knew that. At about a dollar for a twenty-four ounce can, it is hard to complain.

Presentation: Packaged in a twenty-four ounce aluminum can, served in a standard pint tap glass.

1.5/5  rDev -10.7%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

Busch Ice had a high ABV and could be had (IIRC) for under eight bucks for a 24 pack. You can't beat that pricing!

Pours a flat yellow. Little to no head. Taste is watery with (strangely) not enough carbonation. This was actually worse than the Natural Ice/Light series, due to a horrible aftertaste that I can still recall to this day.

Avoid like the plague.

1.35/5  rDev -19.6%

I know we're supposed to be constructive here, but this "beer" is absolute crap. If they mail it in on the brewing, can't I mail it in on my review? Not like anyone takes great pride in the taste of this stuff.

It's a pale yellow with a fizzy white head, heavily carbonated. Taste is offensive, with adjunk and other horrors I can't put my finger on.

If it looks like pee and it tastes like pee, can you really call it beer?

2.77/5  rDev +64.9%

A - Pale yellow color. about a half inch of head.

S - Bit of a bitter smell.

T - Not great. Strong aftertaste

M - Bubbly, not much body.

D - Well you typically don't drink ice beers for the taste, it's usually to get the job done quicker and this beer will help you do that.

1.63/5  rDev -3%

Buch is one of my favorite lines in the Anheuser Busch family. It is quite inexpensive and more enjoyable than the more expensive lines like Bud. However, I can't tell much of a difference between the different Busch beers.

This one is yellow with a light tan head. The nose has some subtle grain presence. The taste is a bit bitter and stale, but still has the faint grain flavor. The body is light and fizzy as usual. A good cheap beer.

2.25/5  rDev +33.9%

Ok; I admit it. I bought this to get drunk. Yes, at this one juncture, I failed to respect beer. I'm sure God will make me pay... Pours out to a weak light yellow color from the 40 oz bottle. Medium level of carbonation. Holy hell, I see some lace! And a head with longevity! CALL CNN! Aromas were boring; corn, alcohol, grain. Taste was fair, with some light hops and malt, but mostly alcohol and corn. Mouthfeel was light, but the alcohol stung my tongue like a bee. Fair drinkability at best. Wonder if the canned version is any better. Not that interested though... There are better Ice beers. Doesn't take much effort to find them, either.

1.5/5  rDev -10.7%

Seriously, I do know better, honest, I just wanted something dirt cheap to guzzle by the pool on a summer afternoon (it's a complex pool so no glass). Is that so wrong?

Apparently so. Pee yellow color. No head. A nose full of sweet corn and rice. Something resembling malt briefly makes an appearance in the taste but mostly it tastes like rusty water. The aftertaste is a delightful combination of metal and ass. Thin and insipid in texture. I promise to never buy this crud again and return to Schlitz or PBR next time I want to go to the pool.

2.64/5  rDev +57.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 2.75

Tallboy can picked up at The Beer Store; listed at 5.5% and brewed by Labatt for the Canadian market. I've never noticed this stuff on shelves before, but I'm not sure if that's because it's new around here, or if they recently changed the packaging, or if it's just that I don't make it a habit of staring at the unfortunate shelves carrying the abominable burdens that are the macro ice beers. Served ice cold, as God intended.

Pours a pale golden-yellow colour (a familiar hue, indeed), topped with slightly more than one finger's worth of frothy, soapy white head. It manages to maintain cohesion for at least a few minutes, until it finally gives up the ghost and melts away into a thin, dense cap and a modest collar. There's even a few smidges of lacing on the glass - this actually looks pretty good for what it is. Too bad that it smells exactly like it's supposed to; an unpleasant mixture of corn syrup, boiled vegetable water and apple skin. Not the worst-smelling ice beer I've ever sniffed, but it's still not very appealing.

To be fair, it's not the worst-flavoured ice beer I've ever had, either - though there's still plenty of those odd off-flavours that generally keep me away from these higher gravity lagers. I get a very strong green apple vibe that sort of permeates the entire flavour profile... probably for the best, since it ensures that the notes of cardboard, ethanol and corn syrup beneath it are considerably less distracting than in most brews of this ilk. The finish is a little sweet, with a hint of lingering apple tartness. Fairly light-bodied, with appropriate carbonation for the style - fairly strong with a solid bite, but not fizzy/bloat-inducing. Easy to drink when it's cold, but you should probably do it quickly.

Final Grade: 2.64, a C-. I'm a little torn - Busch Ice isn't a very good beer, obviously, but I'd still take it in a heartbeat over much of the competition (which in these parts amounts to garbage like Carling Ice, Keystone Ice, Old Milwaukee Ice, etc.). There are off-flavours, and the overall taste isn't terribly appealing, but if you just want something cheap to get shitfaced on, this is a serviceable option that I can see being popular with the frat house set. Overall, this isn't nearly as awful as it's made out to be and I'd drink this if it were handed to me at a party or something, but it's not worth buying again.

1.28/5  rDev -23.8%
look: 1.75 | smell: 1.25 | taste: 1 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 1.5

One of my top 5 worst beers of all time.

2.43/5  rDev +44.6%

It has a sweet and fruity and highly adjunct aroma. The body is a golden almost brass color that is very clear. There is a lot of head but that goes away fast to make some thin lacing. It has basic flavor that is also very sweet and adjunct. It is not bitter at all. This beer reminds me a lot of watered down malt liquor. It is very plain. I will say that the mouthfeel is pretty smooth.

A- Thin watery pale yellow with frothy head that fades fast but has ok lace.

S- Faint hints of corn adjuncts, rice, funk, and sweet malt

T- Watery with hints of sweet corn and musty funk hops. Mostly taste like water. You have to try really hard to taste the hints.

M- Thin, fizzy, watery

D- This is a drain pour. If you must drink it, I suggest doing a shotgun.

2.29/5  rDev +36.3%

Poured from a 24 ounce can into a pint glass.

Appearance: Big frothy white head. Pale golden body. Carbonation is pretty wimpy. Lacing is damn fine. Can't really knock this beer for it's appearance, it looks pretty good.

Smell: Adjuctilicious? Definitely a corn adjunct lager by the smell. Sugary sweet aroma. Not offensive, but it doesn't particularly make me want to drink it either.

Taste: All the great taste of an corn adjunct lager that us BA's love(sarcasm) in a more concentrated and alcoholic form. No bitterness to speak of.

Mouthfeel: Desperately needs stronger carbonation.

I think I'm gonna end up drain pouring about 2/3rds of this can.

Busch Ice from Anheuser-Busch