Busch Ice - Anheuser-Busch

awful

Anheuser-Busch visit their website
Missouri, United States

American Adjunct Lager |  5.90% ABV

Busch Ice is a smooth-tasting ice beer. It is brewed with a blend of premium American-grown and imported hops and a combination of malt and corn to provide a pleasant balanced flavor.

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 04-25-2002)

1.25/5  rDev -25.1%

a pale yellow with no head to speak of what so ever, really just a clear, over carbonated mess of a look for me. but a trudge on. weak grains, touches of light corn and bready notes abound here, again not that i was expecting a ton of wonderful flavor here, but it could have been more then the wet cardboard that i got. clean and crisp, light feel worked for the style and it went down smooth and easy,

2.05/5  rDev +22.8%

355ml can, 6.0 % ABV, and made in that backwater AB-Inbev backwater of Edmonton, AB. Wait, I live here! Single can from some random walk-by liquor store.

This beer pours crystal clear, very pale golden pee colour (I've got a two-month old, so this I know!), with three rather surprising fingers of puffy, tightly foamy bone white head, which leaves some actual, honest to goodness loose coral lace around the glass as it evenly recedes.

It smells of pretty sweet corn grist, mashed green apple, a certain mineral water character, and a general dusty mustiness. The taste is more sweet, gritty, and grainy malted corn, a bit of overcooked rice, and an indistinct wet mustiness - very much the semblance of any crappy neighbourhood pub whose doors I've sparingly darkened the doorstep of late (Hello, H20 Lounge!). No appreciable warming from the extra point of booze, so a win for AB-Inbev, then, eh?

The bubbles are hardly noticeable, the body on the light side, but not so much so, and smooth and creamy, down to the proscribed dotted i and crossed t. It finishes sweet, apple-ish, and generally inoffensive to the insensitive tastebuds of the world, I would imagine.

While not good by any stretch of the imagination, this follows the BMC trope of dumbing everything down to the simplest flavours, and ramming that down our throats. This isn't really that hard to drink, even with the extra bit of booze - I'd take it over any Minhas product in a heartbeat, but that's a world where beer would be my last drink of choice.

1.25/5  rDev -25.1%

2.78/5  rDev +66.5%

I CAN't believe how long it has taken to unearth this gem in support of The CANQuest (TM)! One of my more regular traders noticed it on my Wants and sent some along for my CANsumption. Now, if I could just lay hands on the still-elusive Beer:30 in a CAN, I'd be making significant progress. Or not ...

From the CAN: "Ice Brewed For Exceptional Smoothness"; "One of the World's Largest Recyclers". I CAN definitely get behind that last bit!

The Crack & Glug went off without a hitch and I was looking at two very foamy fingers of bone-white head with lousy retention. It disappeared as quickly as any of my students when the bell rings. Bye! The color was a pale sunshine-yellow and I might have mistaken it for a light version of a beer, had I not been able to read that it was an Ice version. The nose was just more of the same ol' same old. Same beer, different day. I CANnot understand how I used to enjoy such things in my youth. It smelled like silage, plain and simple. More corn than a hog could eat from its trough over an entire summer. Blah! And yet, it is stylistically correct. Oof. It is sometimes enough to make me regret this undertaking. Mouthfeel was medium with a slight lager sweetness underlain by corn and cotton candy. How do they make this swill?!? It should not taste like this and yet so many do! Finish was indeed smooth, given that I did not have to choke it down, but neither was it terribly pleasurable. It was what I imagine drinking Liquid Oxygen (LOX) would be like. Cold, semi-dry, liquid, but not much beyond that. I would not bother seeking this out, nor taking up valuable cooler space.

Pours a clean/clear yellow color, some carbonation, small white fizzy head, with some minimal sticky lacing left behind. The nose is kinda malty, very slight hop note, mostly grainy/ricey. The taste is kinda sweet, and the usual grain/rice note. Light Body, a thirst quencher, but still a pretty shitty brew. Typical macro.

2.9/5  rDev +73.7%

Pours a pale, see through gold with a big foamy, fizzy, white head that quickly fades. The nose is very grainy and fruity. The flavor is grainy, slightly fruity with an apple-like off note, a bit malty, and a bit of hops in the finish. The mouthfeel is medium bodied, smooth, a little warm, and the carbonation is just right.

For the style it isn't awful. The body is a little better than expected. The flavor isn't offensive, but it isn't great either. I'll probably pass in the future.

2.13/5  rDev +27.5%

This is what they call a blast from the past. Had quite a few of these back in the day in Charleston, SC & Daytona, FL. My first spring break. Might as well crush another one on a Monday night while watching pro wrestling I thought. $1 a can in the loose bin at the gas station.

Yellow, thin soapy head, no retention after poured into my Jake the Snake tasting glass. A sweet corn and sugar with the metal can from canned vegetables type of aroma, not harsh, just kinda kitschy value-esque.

Taste, meh, not much going on, but I think it is a little better than regular Busch, for whatever that is worth. Don't even go around thinking you're gonna pull some hop quality out of thise beer. In the mouthfeel, especially as it warms, the beer gets a little rough with the almost fusel like alcohol remnants. Corn pops would seem like a good food pairing with this.

Not worth $1 a can.

1.55/5  rDev -7.2%

The beer leaves the can a light gold with a moderate sized whit semi-creamy head and the left over lace a thin coating upon the glass. Nose is malt, crisp and clean, start is lightly sweet with the top thin as water. Finish is strict in its acidity, the hops meek and the aftertaste dry as a desert summer. Been four plus years since I gagged one of these down.

2.73/5  rDev +63.5%

Thanks to woodychandler for this beer. Poured from a 12 oz. can. Has a very pale yellow color with a smallish head. Smell is mostly of corn, a touch of malt. Taste is of grains, corn, alcohol, a slight bitterness at the finish. Feels light in the mouth and has average drinkability. Overall there is nothing special about this beer.

2.05/5  rDev +22.8%

500ml Can from the Ottawa LCBO for 1.90$

Appearance - Clear light yellow colour with an average size fizzy white coloured head. There is an above average amount of carbonation showing and there is some faint lacing. The head lasted for 2-3 minutes.

Smell - Malts, breads/grains, metallic, corn

Taste & Mouth - There is an above average amount of carbonation and I can taste malts and corn mixed with some light fruity notes. There is also a graininess and it ends with a slightly sweet aftertaste.

Overall - The flashy new can/label caught my eye, but this is just another poor macro with a little bit of extra alcohol. A good beer for the university kids trying to get drunk I suppose. I wouldn't buy this again.

3.03/5  rDev +81.4%

Found this in a gas station ice trough, I have never seen Busch ice before and I drank more than my fair share of Busch products in college. Pours a light gold color with a typical rapidly failing, large-bubbled head. It is a bit darker than most macros though.

Slightly skunky, slightly fruity Busch nose...only kicked up a couple notches. A bit of cooked vegetables in there, mostly corn and a mild herbal note that might possibly resemble a couple hop cones.

Whats this? Flavor? Its true. Grainy, sweet malts and a dry, boozy alcohol taste. This beer might feel more comfortable in a 40oz clear glass bottle than this tall-boy can. I did not say it was good flavor, but flavor it has nonetheless. I do not really mind drinking this beer. Some of these ice beers are not that bad, for a AAL you could do much worse and still not catch a buzz.

Busch Ice from Anheuser-Busch