Busch Ice - Anheuser-Busch

Anheuser-Busch visit their website
Missouri, United States

American Adjunct Lager |  5.90% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 04-25-2002

Busch Ice is a smooth-tasting ice beer. It is brewed with a blend of premium American-grown and imported hops and a combination of malt and corn to provide a pleasant balanced flavor.
firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50 | 51-75  | nextlast

Poured from a 24 ounce can with born on date on the bottom of the can. Do you think freshness matters cuz my can said born on Sept 08. Poured into a pint glass no head. Very little carbonation. Straw yellow color. I drank this very cold cuz I figured its an ice beer I should drink it ice cold. Not much flavor other than rice and corn. Went down pretty smooth and fast. (370 characters)

2.17/5  rDev -2.3%

Appearance is a light yellow with no head. Smell is a grainy, corny adjunct aroma. Taste has a corny adjunct sweetness with a light alchohol bite. Mouthfeel, considering, has good body and carbonation. The mouthfeel has the only thing really going for this beer, although the alchohol helps. I bought this as a single to try and I think I'll keep it that way. (359 characters)

2.2/5  rDev -0.9%

This beer has a past for me. It's one for those "holy grail" types for me(shitty beers that are hard to find).I used to purchase this gem back in 2002-2003. I was the life of the party with peoples reaction of"Holy shit, Busch ICE??" &"That stuff exists?"So it was always fun to bring excitement to party in that aspect. To be blunt about Busch ICE its not that good. Of course is a good punch your car keys in the side of the can and slam 'em down kinda beer. You wont cry over spilled beer on this one. As for the taste, well..hummmm?....kinda like natural ice but with a hint of cherry and clove and some smells of...Its tastes like cheap, get drunk, and have a good time beer. I don't think I need to get into flavors and stuff It would just be...wrong. So with that said, CHEERS! (784 characters)

2.29/5  rDev +3.2%

Poured from a 24 ounce can into a pint glass.

Appearance: Big frothy white head. Pale golden body. Carbonation is pretty wimpy. Lacing is damn fine. Can't really knock this beer for it's appearance, it looks pretty good.

Smell: Adjuctilicious? Definitely a corn adjunct lager by the smell. Sugary sweet aroma. Not offensive, but it doesn't particularly make me want to drink it either.

Taste: All the great taste of an corn adjunct lager that us BA's love(sarcasm) in a more concentrated and alcoholic form. No bitterness to speak of.

Mouthfeel: Desperately needs stronger carbonation.

I think I'm gonna end up drain pouring about 2/3rds of this can. (655 characters)

3.45/5  rDev +55.4%

12oz can
Served in a nonic

A - It pours yellow in color and is crystal clear. It is topped with over an inch of fluffy white head.

S - It smells sweet like most macros.

T - It tastes rather bland. It is a little sweet, but there is not a whole lot of flavor.

M - Thin

O - I find it quite drinkable for a house beer. I usually drink this or Busch after a sixer of some good stuff. It helps polish off the night. (418 characters)

2.96/5  rDev +33.3%

Found this in a gas station ice trough, I have never seen Busch ice before and I drank more than my fair share of Busch products in college. Pours a light gold color with a typical rapidly failing, large-bubbled head. It is a bit darker than most macros though.

Slightly skunky, slightly fruity Busch nose...only kicked up a couple notches. A bit of cooked vegetables in there, mostly corn and a mild herbal note that might possibly resemble a couple hop cones.

Whats this? Flavor? Its true. Grainy, sweet malts and a dry, boozy alcohol taste. This beer might feel more comfortable in a 40oz clear glass bottle than this tall-boy can. I did not say it was good flavor, but flavor it has nonetheless. I do not really mind drinking this beer. Some of these ice beers are not that bad, for a AAL you could do much worse and still not catch a buzz. (846 characters)

2.43/5  rDev +9.5%

It has a sweet and fruity and highly adjunct aroma. The body is a golden almost brass color that is very clear. There is a lot of head but that goes away fast to make some thin lacing. It has basic flavor that is also very sweet and adjunct. It is not bitter at all. This beer reminds me a lot of watered down malt liquor. It is very plain. I will say that the mouthfeel is pretty smooth. (388 characters)

1.98/5  rDev -10.8%

Much harder to find for whatever reason than Natural Ice, which one can find anywhere in central MA in 30-packs. Finally spotted a 12 pack of this and got it, hoping it'd at least be somewhat better than the Natty, what with the family name on it and all. Alas, not the case. A lot of reviews here saying this was bland; I found it unduly harsh. The regular 4.6% Busch is much easier to drink. The 5.9% strength is great, but not worth the flavor penalty.

Standard macro-gold appearance, nothing wrong there. The label is somewhat less silly than the Natty Ice at least, and nowhere near as embarrassing as Beast Ice. Smell isn't too bad either, although one can tell one is headed for trouble; light macro smell with a kind of stingy quality to it. Texture might be ok, but frankly all the attention is taken up by the harsh flavor, which has a kind of burning fuel-oil quality to it. In short, there's not enough beer to handle the 5.9% abv. Plainly not meant to be tasted; made for drinking quickly while very cold. (1,020 characters)

1.35/5  rDev -39.2%

I know we're supposed to be constructive here, but this "beer" is absolute crap. If they mail it in on the brewing, can't I mail it in on my review? Not like anyone takes great pride in the taste of this stuff.

It's a pale yellow with a fizzy white head, heavily carbonated. Taste is offensive, with adjunk and other horrors I can't put my finger on.

If it looks like pee and it tastes like pee, can you really call it beer? (426 characters)

1.65/5  rDev -25.7%

A: Very clear yellowish color with a large, fluffy, off white head
Smell: Almost nothing.
Taste: Extremely bland...I can't taste much of anything going on here except for some mild bitterness.
Mouthfeel: Almost no carbonation at all...it's almost flat.
Drinkability: I'm being generous here...yes its easily drinkable...but so is water. (336 characters)

2.14/5  rDev -3.6%

Poured from a 24 oz can into nonic pint glass.

A - Pale with excellent clarity. With a hard pour I got 2-3 fingers of head, nice, pillowy head unlike the soda pop crap in most macros. I actually understand the "natural carbonation" printed on the can. Decent head retention and some moderate lacing.

S - A little skunky, with mostly adjunct aromas. A little bit of cardboard/eraser comes in along with some mineral and alcohol aromas. Maybe a hint of hops?

T - It's not really bad, but it's completely bland. Corn and slightly bitter grain husk kick in early palate, and the flavor slowly thins out to a metallic/cardboard flavor. Minimal, but unnecessary bitterness in the aftertaste.

M - While I can believe that this is "naturally carbonated," this has the absolute worst mouthfeel of any macro I've ever had. This brew is damn near flat, and a little thick, neither of which help the style. Terrible. This brew might be better all around if not for this ridiculously low level of carbonation.

D - I wouldn't drink much of this, I doubt I'll finish my 24 oz can. It's not terrible, but the mouthfeel really does throw this beer off. Yet again it seems this "ice beers" are stronger, shittier versions of their original counterparts, and Busch is no exception. (1,267 characters)

1.5/5  rDev -32.4%

Seriously, I do know better, honest, I just wanted something dirt cheap to guzzle by the pool on a summer afternoon (it's a complex pool so no glass). Is that so wrong?

Apparently so. Pee yellow color. No head. A nose full of sweet corn and rice. Something resembling malt briefly makes an appearance in the taste but mostly it tastes like rusty water. The aftertaste is a delightful combination of metal and ass. Thin and insipid in texture. I promise to never buy this crud again and return to Schlitz or PBR next time I want to go to the pool. (548 characters)

2.5/5  rDev +12.6%

Pours a very clear straw color with no much carbonation. Head starts out thick, but recedes to a very thin lace. Smells like your every day macro lager. Goes down smooth with no bitterness and very little carbonation. Taste is below par for an ice beer, doesn't taste much different than regular Busch. Overall this might be an ok session beer, but if your looking for a good ice beer, try Milwaukee's Best Ice instead. (419 characters)

1.63/5  rDev -26.6%

Buch is one of my favorite lines in the Anheuser Busch family. It is quite inexpensive and more enjoyable than the more expensive lines like Bud. However, I can't tell much of a difference between the different Busch beers.

This one is yellow with a light tan head. The nose has some subtle grain presence. The taste is a bit bitter and stale, but still has the faint grain flavor. The body is light and fizzy as usual. A good cheap beer. (439 characters)

1.5/5  rDev -32.4%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

Busch Ice had a high ABV and could be had (IIRC) for under eight bucks for a 24 pack. You can't beat that pricing!

Pours a flat yellow. Little to no head. Taste is watery with (strangely) not enough carbonation. This was actually worse than the Natural Ice/Light series, due to a horrible aftertaste that I can still recall to this day.

Avoid like the plague. (361 characters)

1.58/5  rDev -28.8%

This one time (just once) I wanted to drink to forget my problems, and being a) cheap and b) not wanting to drink Natty Ice I tried this crap. Mistake. Where Natty at least serves a metallic taste that makes it seem like your drinking a medium-bodied beer, this clear yellowish hogwash is like drinking flat water. Worse than the aftertaste is that you will be feeling them like Natty, except you might end up drinking them faster because you're not tasting anything at all. Seriously, there's nothing in this beer at all. (522 characters)

1.48/5  rDev -33.3%

not sure i understand the 2.64 rating this one had when the top rating was 2.6...? i am pretty good in math and neer as i can tell this one should be below 1.5.

with that being said. i purchased this cheapy cuz my usual cheapie ice beer was gone. i should have passed. yuck. if this is ice ice (baby) cold and your are super thirsty and want a buz, pound down about 5 or 6 of these. if you want to enjoy a nice beer you better keep lookin!

suckem up and movem out!!!

giblet (482 characters)

1.73/5  rDev -22.1%
look: 2 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 2.5

A macro drinking friend of mine accidentally left a couple of cans of this beer at my house the other day, so I figured what the hell, I'll give it a shot. The beer pours like most other macro lagers: very pale color, large head that dissipates quickly. Aroma was a mix of corn, old veges and light malts. No hop aroma whatsoever. Taste was the same, but also a little fruity and spritzy with a faint alcoholic flavor. Mouthfeel was very light and quite thin. I gave the drinkability a little higher score being that I can probably see my self chugging one of these on a 90 degree Summer day. I'm surpised there are so few reviews for this beer, considering it's in every grocery and convenience store between here and the Pacific ocean. (737 characters)

1.95/5  rDev -12.2%
look: 1.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 1.75

This beer seems to be somewhat of a rare find for an A-B product. Please correct me if I'm wrong on that.

I am going to be enjoying a 25 fluid ounce can (ONE EXTRA OUNCE! - BUY 24 CANS GET ONE FREE!) that was brewed at the Fairfield, California, brewery located about 2 hours southwest of me. That last fact is amusing because the 25 ounce can of Budweiser I purchased last week was brewed at the Houston, Texas, brewery, located thousands of miles away. Maybe Fairfield is too busy cranking out the Busch Ice to make Budweiser?

A: Apple juice. I've recently drank Busch (lol) and can say that the ice version is many shades darker, although not dark enough to be attractive. After a minute the beer is absolutely still with the faintest-possible foam ring. No lacing at all. Like I said, apple juice.

S: Cold raw red meat. Metallic and salty. Some sweetness that is slightly fruity (apples and raspberries.) Spent grains. There is a healthy amount alcohol in the smell.

T: This is an ice beer. It's based on a parent beer (Busch) and should have a concentrated taste of that beer. Busch Ice is the ice version of a beer that has no taste. See what I'm saying? It's hard to knock this beer for being flavorless, but damn, even in the A-B world there are much better choices for both the money and ABV percentage. The first 2/3rds of a drink is sweet followed by the the last 1/3rd being sour. Not bitter, sour. This has that signature Busch "aspirin" flavor.

M: The best part of this beer. Busch's only redeeming value is that it has an intense carbonation that makes it refreshing and easy to pound (sorry, drink.) Busch Ice tries to replicate that. If you pour mildly you'll get it. Creaminess lingers on the palate after swallowing. Carbonation is stinging. Thicker than expected. Very enjoyable.

O: Well, at least you can actually catch a buzz off of the ice version, but I guess that's the point? When comparing Busch Ice to it's brothers I'd say that Bud Ice is MUCH smoother and easier to drink and Natty Ice has a MUCH better flavor and is easier to drink. Or, for the same price or less, just grab a Hurricane High Gravity!

I want to like Busch Ice. I really do. Drinking this non-critically will give better results, but *cough*, Hurricane High Gravity. (2,302 characters)

2.53/5  rDev +14%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Appearance: Clear, pale golden color, with a large white head, thick, sticky lace, and numerous streams of small, fast-rising carbonation. The head retention is fairly good, the head eventually collapses to a small layer, but does not entirely disappear.

Aroma: Prominent, sweet alcohol and cooked grain dominate the aroma, with faint herbal hop notes as well.

Taste: Opens with mild malt and sweet alcohol, late in the taste there are some bitter, metallic notes, the finish is crisp and dry.

Mouth feel: Smooth and soft on the palate, a bit thin.

Drinkability/notes: Not that bad, really, cheap, and would be refreshing on a hot summer day. Not a great beer, certainly, but you already knew that. At about a dollar for a twenty-four ounce can, it is hard to complain.

Presentation: Packaged in a twenty-four ounce aluminum can, served in a standard pint tap glass. (881 characters)

1.24/5  rDev -44.1%

I had this left over from when my friends and I celebrated quitting our shitty job, so I figured that I better review it before it expires.

A: The appearance is not too bad. The beer has nice lacing and some good gold color. The fluffy head completes your typical macro picture.

S: The smell is really sweet and adjunct. It is so bad I wanted to barf.

T: The taste is at best weak and light. At worst it is skunky, adjunct, and sweet even worse than the smell. It was disgusting.

M: It was way too thin.

D: I want to say that it is completely undrinkable. But at our celebration I did down 8 of these fing things, so that counts for something.

This might be the worst beer ever. But I am not going to drink either Old Mud or this again to compare and find out. (779 characters)

2.25/5  rDev +1.4%

Ok; I admit it. I bought this to get drunk. Yes, at this one juncture, I failed to respect beer. I'm sure God will make me pay... Pours out to a weak light yellow color from the 40 oz bottle. Medium level of carbonation. Holy hell, I see some lace! And a head with longevity! CALL CNN! Aromas were boring; corn, alcohol, grain. Taste was fair, with some light hops and malt, but mostly alcohol and corn. Mouthfeel was light, but the alcohol stung my tongue like a bee. Fair drinkability at best. Wonder if the canned version is any better. Not that interested though... There are better Ice beers. Doesn't take much effort to find them, either. (644 characters)

Well since I am not far removed from my frat days I thought I would put in my two cents. Straw pale white head mild corn malt smell with wet cardboard in there. The taste is intense sweet followed with a horrid wet cardboard and that taste I associate with the 3am results of my frat benges. very bad even for a macro. The reason I brew my own (343 characters)

1.6/5  rDev -27.9%

The beer leaves the can a light gold with a moderate sized whit semi-creamy head and the left over lace a thin coating upon the glass. Nose is malt, crisp and clean, start is lightly sweet with the top thin as water. Finish is strict in its acidity, the hops meek and the aftertaste dry as a desert summer. Been four plus years since I gagged one of these down. (361 characters)

1.58/5  rDev -28.8%

Some friends left this in my fridge. Really. But I'm too damn cheap to throw it away. So, after pouring, I'd wished I'd left it in the can. Its shockingly clear, but has marvelous carbonation, and a quick, clean head. The aroma is somewhat corn-like and canny(?).

The taste is much to write about. Its got a very simple profile, like straining beer over the tongue. There are lots of subtle off flavors, but nothing too offensive. What is surprising is how quickly the beer makes my feel bloated, gassy. Possibly due to the speed with which I drank it. (556 characters)

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50 | 51-75  | nextlast