Follow our progress ...

Busch IceBusch Ice

Anheuser-Busch
Missouri, United States | website

Style: American Adjunct Lager

Busch Ice is a smooth-tasting ice beer. It is brewed with a blend of premium American-grown and imported hops and a combination of malt and corn to provide a pleasant balanced flavor.

Added by BeerAdvocate on 04-25-2002

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50 | 51-75  | next → last
Reviews: 59 | Ratings: 292
1.95/5  rDev -8.5%
look: 1.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 1.75

This beer seems to be somewhat of a rare find for an A-B product. Please correct me if I'm wrong on that.

I am going to be enjoying a 25 fluid ounce can (ONE EXTRA OUNCE! - BUY 24 CANS GET ONE FREE!) that was brewed at the Fairfield, California, brewery located about 2 hours southwest of me. That last fact is amusing because the 25 ounce can of Budweiser I purchased last week was brewed at the Houston, Texas, brewery, located thousands of miles away. Maybe Fairfield is too busy cranking out the Busch Ice to make Budweiser?

A: Apple juice. I've recently drank Busch (lol) and can say that the ice version is many shades darker, although not dark enough to be attractive. After a minute the beer is absolutely still with the faintest-possible foam ring. No lacing at all. Like I said, apple juice.

S: Cold raw red meat. Metallic and salty. Some sweetness that is slightly fruity (apples and raspberries.) Spent grains. There is a healthy amount alcohol in the smell.

T: This is an ice beer. It's based on a parent beer (Busch) and should have a concentrated taste of that beer. Busch Ice is the ice version of a beer that has no taste. See what I'm saying? It's hard to knock this beer for being flavorless, but damn, even in the A-B world there are much better choices for both the money and ABV percentage. The first 2/3rds of a drink is sweet followed by the the last 1/3rd being sour. Not bitter, sour. This has that signature Busch "aspirin" flavor.

M: The best part of this beer. Busch's only redeeming value is that it has an intense carbonation that makes it refreshing and easy to pound (sorry, drink.) Busch Ice tries to replicate that. If you pour mildly you'll get it. Creaminess lingers on the palate after swallowing. Carbonation is stinging. Thicker than expected. Very enjoyable.

O: Well, at least you can actually catch a buzz off of the ice version, but I guess that's the point? When comparing Busch Ice to it's brothers I'd say that Bud Ice is MUCH smoother and easier to drink and Natty Ice has a MUCH better flavor and is easier to drink. Or, for the same price or less, just grab a Hurricane High Gravity!

I want to like Busch Ice. I really do. Drinking this non-critically will give better results, but *cough*, Hurricane High Gravity.

2.53/5  rDev +18.8%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Appearance: Clear, pale golden color, with a large white head, thick, sticky lace, and numerous streams of small, fast-rising carbonation. The head retention is fairly good, the head eventually collapses to a small layer, but does not entirely disappear.

Aroma: Prominent, sweet alcohol and cooked grain dominate the aroma, with faint herbal hop notes as well.

Taste: Opens with mild malt and sweet alcohol, late in the taste there are some bitter, metallic notes, the finish is crisp and dry.

Mouth feel: Smooth and soft on the palate, a bit thin.

Drinkability/notes: Not that bad, really, cheap, and would be refreshing on a hot summer day. Not a great beer, certainly, but you already knew that. At about a dollar for a twenty-four ounce can, it is hard to complain.

Presentation: Packaged in a twenty-four ounce aluminum can, served in a standard pint tap glass.

1.24/5  rDev -41.8%

I had this left over from when my friends and I celebrated quitting our shitty job, so I figured that I better review it before it expires.

A: The appearance is not too bad. The beer has nice lacing and some good gold color. The fluffy head completes your typical macro picture.

S: The smell is really sweet and adjunct. It is so bad I wanted to barf.

T: The taste is at best weak and light. At worst it is skunky, adjunct, and sweet even worse than the smell. It was disgusting.

M: It was way too thin.

D: I want to say that it is completely undrinkable. But at our celebration I did down 8 of these fing things, so that counts for something.

This might be the worst beer ever. But I am not going to drink either Old Mud or this again to compare and find out.

2.25/5  rDev +5.6%

Ok; I admit it. I bought this to get drunk. Yes, at this one juncture, I failed to respect beer. I'm sure God will make me pay... Pours out to a weak light yellow color from the 40 oz bottle. Medium level of carbonation. Holy hell, I see some lace! And a head with longevity! CALL CNN! Aromas were boring; corn, alcohol, grain. Taste was fair, with some light hops and malt, but mostly alcohol and corn. Mouthfeel was light, but the alcohol stung my tongue like a bee. Fair drinkability at best. Wonder if the canned version is any better. Not that interested though... There are better Ice beers. Doesn't take much effort to find them, either.

Well since I am not far removed from my frat days I thought I would put in my two cents. Straw pale white head mild corn malt smell with wet cardboard in there. The taste is intense sweet followed with a horrid wet cardboard and that taste I associate with the 3am results of my frat benges. very bad even for a macro. The reason I brew my own

1.6/5  rDev -24.9%

The beer leaves the can a light gold with a moderate sized whit semi-creamy head and the left over lace a thin coating upon the glass. Nose is malt, crisp and clean, start is lightly sweet with the top thin as water. Finish is strict in its acidity, the hops meek and the aftertaste dry as a desert summer. Been four plus years since I gagged one of these down.

1.58/5  rDev -25.8%

Some friends left this in my fridge. Really. But I'm too damn cheap to throw it away. So, after pouring, I'd wished I'd left it in the can. Its shockingly clear, but has marvelous carbonation, and a quick, clean head. The aroma is somewhat corn-like and canny(?).

The taste is much to write about. Its got a very simple profile, like straining beer over the tongue. There are lots of subtle off flavors, but nothing too offensive. What is surprising is how quickly the beer makes my feel bloated, gassy. Possibly due to the speed with which I drank it.

2.6/5  rDev +22.1%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3

Pours a macro yellow with a white head, nothing much to offer but a 5.9 abv. Nothing I would write home about. But nothing that is totally objectionable. It is cheap,and available everywhere. I would drink this beer on a hot summer day when I am short on cash.

1.1/5  rDev -48.4%

Terrible. Burnt corn taste mixed with rubbing alcohol. Absolutely awful. I'd drink any 40 of malt liquor before I touch this again. Sometimes, I wonder why I try these low-end beers. Every once in awhile you find a diamond in the rough, but this is just rough, period.

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50 | 51-75  | next → last