Michelob Ultra Fruit Lime Cactus - Anheuser-Busch

Anheuser-Busch visit their website
Missouri, United States

Light Lager |  4.20% ABV

Beer added by: BEERchitect on 05-13-2007

Michelob ULTRA Fruit Lime Cactus has an exotic fruity aroma with a clean citrus finish.

First off, let me just say that I did not buy this for myself (thankfully). I was able to try it for free at my in-laws house, and I think free was too high a price.

This isn't beer. At all. It looks yellow, but it doesn't smell like beer. It tastes like lime soda. I've had other lime-flavored "beers" and the only one worse is bud light lime. Clearly a grab at the wine-cooler crowd.

Save your $$ for something else. (420 characters)

1.03/5  rDev -58.8%

I dont know who ever thought of this beer, but who ever they are needs to be stabbed. My friend bought this for me because he thought it was a "weird craft beer". Well I wasnt going to be a jerk so I told him thanks and drank the beer... This is the worst decision of my life. I literally gagged on the horrible taste of the beer. anyways to the review...

The beer is a pale yellow piss color, nothing else more

The smell just isnt good at all. It has a tiny bit of malt and maybe some lime and funky scents

The taste is just horrible. I dont know how to else to explain it. I have it more than any beer I have ever had.

The mouthfeel is a lot of carbonation.

This beer sucks, dont buy it. (694 characters)

1.4/5  rDev -44%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

My brother grabbed this as part of a mix-six.

Poured from a 12 oz twist-cap bottle into my tulip (lolz)

A = pissy yellowish green color, fizzy like soda.

S = fake lemon-lime scent, almost like Gatorade; can't detect malts or hops

T = tastes like somebody steeped a bunch of gummy worms in club soda, no hop bitterness

M = fizzy and thin, typical AAL mouthfeel

O = a horrible beer, do not recommend at all (410 characters)

1.41/5  rDev -43.6%

A - Poured out a clear, highly carbonated, yellow with a one-finger, fizzy, short-lived, white head. No lace.

S - It smelled of lime. Also, a odd soapy aroma.

T - It tasted like a super sweet Sprite. So much lime and no beer-like qualities.

M - It was syrupy and lacking in anything beer-like, again.

D - Not worth another try. I just picked up one in a mixer (364 characters)

1.44/5  rDev -42.4%
look: 2.25 | smell: 1.25 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 2 | overall: 1.5

Roommate picked this up on sale for $0.50 a bottle.

A - Golden color and rather effervescent.

S - Smells like imitation lime

T - Imagine combining michelob ultra or any other light lager with a lime snow cone. I wouldn't be surprised if there isn't lime. I'm not really sure why cactus is in the name because I certainly don't taste any.

M - Like any other light lager, it is light and bubbly.

O - If you are going to consume a product that is this fake and synthesized I feel like you should just go with a malt beverage. (539 characters)

1.45/5  rDev -42%

This was one of three Michelob "Ultra" fruit beers I sampled in the last few months. I reviewed the pomegranate one, but apparently never got around to posting my opinion of this beast.

Smells, and tastes, like lime extract mixed with sugar. You'd think it would be a bitter, sour beer, but it's not. Just chemical laden and putrid. Also overly carbonated and watery. It stretches the definition of "beer." Oddly, the smell is not nearly as offensive as the flavor. (466 characters)

1.54/5  rDev -38.4%

Overview: a "Frankenstein" beer: made of parts. Looks kinda like beer, tastes kinda like beer; but it ain't beer.

This stuff is just plain awful. Who puts cactus in their beer? Who does that?

I did detect some flavor for the first microsecond, then...nothing...

This and their "tuscan orange grapefruit" are experiments that should never be recreated by mankind. Ever.

On a positive note, the beer in the bottle looks rather attractive. Must be the bottle.

And I do believe that their original regular Ultra certainly does have a place on the great beer shelf of life. (573 characters)

1.56/5  rDev -37.6%
look: 2.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

Quick Version:
Run away as fast as you can. Just awful. Sickening sweet chemical lime candy smell, taste, and finish. Probably the first and only beer I'll review and not completely consume.

Details:
Need I say more?

OK, Poured very crisp and busy. Short snow white head perked up and vanished instantly. Powerful carbonation. Like a fountain Coke when the syrup ran out. Color is light yellow. A tad darker than regular Mich Ultra.

Smell is overwhelming of fake lime with plenty of sugar. Much like a Sprite that someone dropped a couple of those hard lime spherical candies in the bottom of. You know, the kind you dreaded getting in your Trick or Treat sack that had the clear plastic wrap with no writing on it.

The taste is just like the smell, just stronger. With even more sensation of that bad imitation lime potion they poured in (possibly known to the State of California to cause...)

The finish and aftertaste are simply a lengthy unwanted continuation of the smell and taste.

I bet they never sell a second six pack of this stuff to anyone on the planet.

I'd give it 1.0's for smell, taste, mouthfeel, and drinkability but I have my suspicions some brewer somewhere will get the dubious distinction of sneaking under this one and I'll need room to move down... (1,282 characters)

1.57/5  rDev -37.2%

This was left here by my macro drinking friend when he came over my place for the Super Bowl. I thought I'd try one before pouring it out.

Poured from a 12oz. clear glass bottle into a pint glass.

The color is a crystal clear yellow that has very little head at first and is gone before I can really get to the point of describing it. No lacing.

The smell is of lime and some CO2. It has a bit of a lemon soda flavor but no lemon.

The taste is is of lime but not much of anything else. I really wanted to say there was really more flavor than that but I couldn't really say there was any bitter hop flavor or any hints of malt.

The feel of the beer is very easy. It was pretty crisp and was not very flavorful. The lime just points out and lets itself be known but beyond that here really isn't a lot to speak of. (818 characters)

1.58/5  rDev -36.8%

from notes, this one was brought up to the cabin by my father in law in a mixed 12 pack of michelob brews. served cold and me and my brother in law kicked these back on the deck on night.

pours the lightest possible color i think it could with a big fizzy head of white that dissipates as fast as it comes through. really just not a good looking beer at all, more like some whacked out wine cooler. aroma is sickening with over the top artificial lime that just seems to try and mask the wet hay and rotten grains and corn that are the underlying markers. flavor goes no where as the fake ice pop like flavor just masks corn and rice and honesty i do not know who would be drinking this.

overall one of the worst i have ever had, i am sorry to have been a part of this one. (775 characters)

1.63/5  rDev -34.8%

to me this is the worst beverage I ever drank.
to me this is the worst beverage I ever drank. (281 characters)

1.69/5  rDev -32.4%

A very refreshing beer to drink in the summer. It has much more of a full taste than Budlight Lime and because of the heavy lime taste it masks the traditional Michelob Ultra flavor very well.

This beer is definitely a little better with the addition of salt around the mouth. Other than a cheap summer beer, this isn't very good. (331 characters)

1.7/5  rDev -32%

Pours a really pale yellow, at least it looks like beer.

Smells like nothing.

Tastes like nothing too. I wasn't expecting this to taste much like beer, but I was at least expecting the lime and cactus flavors to come through. Tastes like seltzer water.

Mouthfeel is watery and not enough carbonation.

This is drinkable as it tastes like water, but I can't call this beer. (375 characters)

1.71/5  rDev -31.6%

Appearance: Clear medium golden color, with a large white head, which quickly vanished, no lacing, and profuse carbonation.

Aroma: Bitter lime aroma, with notes of cactus, a faint malt presence. The aroma is not particularly appealing.

Taste: Opens with a harsh chemical lime flavor, rather bitter. Late in the taste, a musty note appears. The taste becomes less appealing as the beer warms.

Mouth feel: Thin and seltzer-like, with harsh carbonation.

Drinkability/notes: Not recommended. The seemingly artificial lime note severely detracts.

Presentation: Packaged in a twelve-ounce clear glass bottle with a twist-off crown, served in a standard pint tap glass. (667 characters)

1.71/5  rDev -31.6%

Pours the color of urine with no lacing. Artificial like flavor makes it taste like sprite and beer. Good beer for hot days. Gives a decent buzz after consuming several. Not much beer belly bloat is a plus to it. I'll stick with bud light lime on the artificial beers. Fake beer. (279 characters)

1.74/5  rDev -30.4%

Bottle Inspection: Clear label lists a born on date of 13APR07 (sampled 21July07), 4.2% abv.

Aroma: Perfumed, sweet 7-up soda with a floral note and lime rind.

Appearance: A full 3 finger head evaporates before my eyes with such haste that I check to see where the nearest exit is located. Glass is crystal clear faint yellow.

Flavor: Cream soda with a flash of plastic lime juice with a finish that goes completely stale and reminds me of dirty gym socks.

Mouthfeel: Fluffy light body, airy, weaksauce.

Overall Impression: Get it away! The malternative killer, this isn’t much better. Beer only by the loosest of standards.

Thanks to Pegasus for not making me buy this karma point. (701 characters)

1.75/5  rDev -30%

A: urine yellow, with a thin, white head that disappears quickly.

S: It DOES smell like lime. Don't know about the cactus, cuz I've never smelled or tasted cactus, but lime is there.

T: Sweet and limey. It's really watery, like you expect an ultra-light beer to be. Assuming you call that beer...

M: Carbonated and light. I guess that's what it's supposed to be?

D: Session beer for low-carb lovers. It's not as sickeningly sweet as a wine cooler, so it works for non-beer drinkers who want to say they're having a beer.

Ok, so, compared to other really good beers I've had, this beer isn't even worth drinking. So, it has a low score. But, compared to other macrobrewed session beers, it's not bad for a light beer. It's better than Miller Lite and Bud Lite, honestly. (774 characters)

1.76/5  rDev -29.6%

I poured the twelve ounce twisty into a pint glass. It is lightly colored golden and clear. White head rises fast and runs away faster.

Smells like 7-up. Maybe diet 7-up. Definitely an uncola. I am going to go with a slightly flat Sprite after consideration. the taste is like a slightly flat Sprite with only half the flavoring of Sprite. I only say slightly flat because soda generally burns me up with carbonation and this is about half of that, but it's well carbonated for a beer.

Besides appearance, there is no aspect of this beverage that I can review from a beer perspective. It does not smell or taste like beer. It is actually not unpleasant from strictly a cold drink standpoint. I would dig a gallon of this after running a 5k or cutting the grass or something.

Light bodied (really?) and easy to drink. Could give lime flavored seltzer a run for its money. (873 characters)

1.77/5  rDev -29.2%
look: 2 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

Appearance: Straw yellow, consumed straight from the bottle.

Smell: Mostly lime with a hint of the underlying lager.

Taste: In a direct comparison to Bud Light lime this Michelob product goes lighter on the lime flavoring allowing the untra light adjunct lager to shine through which isn't necessarily a good thing.

Mouthfeel: Fizzy water.

Drinkability: If I'm looking for something to drink on a hot summer day on the lake it may or may not include a lime, but if I wanted a lime beer, this one wouldn't be the one. Way too light, watery and not enough lime. (566 characters)

1.79/5  rDev -28.4%

Pours a very, very clear golden with a 1.5 finger fluffy, bright white head. Actually leaves a little lace as it fades. Not bad.

Smell is cereal grain with a dash of some sort of powdered limeade/Kool-Aid mix. Not too appealing. A hint of lime is there, but it's not very strong and it's certainly not very enticing. Taste is what I would imagine Michelob Ultra would be like if I added a lime wedge: Water-beer with a touch of citrus.

Yes, I know it's a "pilsner," but the mouthfeel is exceptionally watery and thin and gross. After I finish enough to review it, the rest is going down the drain. Thankfully, this one was free, or I would really be pissed. (659 characters)

1.82/5  rDev -27.2%

This was free at a recent marathon runner's expo. Normally, the best tasting beer is free beer, but this one really shut that theory down. Poured a pale, translucent gold with a smallish wispy head. Head quickly disappears, I guess, running away from the lime-cactus additive. Lime dominates the nose and taste of this brew. Really light, ultra light on taste. Mostly just overcarbonation and alcohol is all you notice. Would drink again if free, but doubtful that I'd ever purposely purchase this one. (502 characters)

1.85/5  rDev -26%

Pours a four finger white head that vanishes in a minute and leaves traces of lace. Crystal clear pale amber color. Light carbonation and light bodied. Lime nose. Flavor is sweetened lime and not much else. Squeaky clean finish. Good session beer for the non-beer drinker, nothing here for the serious beer drinker. Very similar to ABs pomegranate raspberry. Brewed on April 5, 2008, $1.50 for a 12oz bottle from Capitol Convenience Concord, NH. (445 characters)

1.85/5  rDev -26%

Pours a light golden color with no head into my pint glass. Doesn't look too appealing.

Aroma is full of lime, which reminds me more of lime jello. I have no idea what cactus is supposed to smell like.

Taste is full of lime upfront that feels like lime seltzer. It gives way to a grainy light lager underneath. Somewhat sweet and bland. Hardly drinkable.

Mouthfeel is full of lingering lime seltzer and grainy light lager. Bland.

Absolutely avoid this like the plague. It reminds me that fruit beers can be horrible if poorly done and it's an example of that. (563 characters)

1.87/5  rDev -25.2%

Bottle pours a transparent body with a hint of pale yellow. Tiny white head quickly vanishes without a trace. Aroma is actually pleasant and inviting, until I remember this is supposed to be a beer. Smells like fresh lime, saltines, and lemon Pez. A nice aroma for something other than a beer. Taste is very light, seltzery, and watery. Pez lemon candy, accented by a Zesta saltine with a twist of fresh lime and a healthy dose of tonic water. A fizzy, lemony, beverage that is a decent thirst quencher if nothing else is available. (532 characters)

1.9/5  rDev -24%

Pours a very light yellow almost like water with a small 1/16 inch head, with average lacing. Below average carbonation with a mild sweet smell of limes Tastes like carbonated limes with only a slight alcohol taste. This is awful and tastes like cleaning solution. It would make a better cleaning product than a malt beverage. (326 characters)

Michelob Ultra Fruit Lime Cactus from Anheuser-Busch