Michelob Ultra Fruit Lime Cactus - Anheuser-Busch

pDev: 35%
Anheuser-Busch visit their website
Missouri, United States

Light Lager |  4.20% ABV

Michelob ULTRA Fruit Lime Cactus has an exotic fruity aroma with a clean citrus finish.

(Beer added by: BEERchitect on 05-13-2007)
jdhilt

New Hampshire

1.83/5  rDev -23.8%

Pours a four finger white head that vanishes in a minute and leaves traces of lace. Crystal clear pale amber color. Light carbonation and light bodied. Lime nose. Flavor is sweetened lime and not much else. Squeaky clean finish. Good session beer for the non-beer drinker, nothing here for the serious beer drinker. Very similar to ABs pomegranate raspberry. Brewed on April 5, 2008, $1.50 for a 12oz bottle from Capitol Convenience Concord, NH.

05-04-2008 22:25:22 | More by jdhilt
ATLbeerDog

Georgia

1.9/5  rDev -20.8%

Pours a very light yellow almost like water with a small 1/16 inch head, with average lacing. Below average carbonation with a mild sweet smell of limes Tastes like carbonated limes with only a slight alcohol taste. This is awful and tastes like cleaning solution. It would make a better cleaning product than a malt beverage.

05-04-2008 01:04:22 | More by ATLbeerDog
WVbeergeek

West Virginia

2.38/5  rDev -0.8%

Alright not so much like real beer but it's a good alco pop lime cactus with beer flavor. Ultra thin in the pour head dwindles quick sounds a like a wave settling no bubbles or lacing left behind only apple juice like appearance exists. Aroma has a strong citrus and mild tequila like note bringing back that Tequiza trip all over again. Flavor this time around is not as bad as I recall Tequiza, citrus zing stings the back of the throat heavy carbonation hits home and it's not bad poured but it definitely tastes better and more lime and cactus like straight outta the bottle. Girls dig this stuff, mouthfeel is of carbonated water really really fizzy. Drinkability is a one and done novelty type of thing for me, I definitely couldn't stomach the acidity of the lime flavor in session.

04-30-2008 04:47:18 | More by WVbeergeek
riversider76

2.98/5  rDev +24.2%

Pours a clear light gold,with a fluffy white head. Not much retention or lacing.Aroma is very weak.Some hints of lime.Body is thin,with just a bit of carbonation.Taste is of lime,and fruit.I'm no huge fan of Anheuser Bush. But for a low carb low cal beer,this is not bad.

04-27-2008 00:51:39 | More by riversider76
arguemaniac

2.8/5  rDev +16.7%

Another surprise from Michelob, not that this beer was all that good, but I was astonished by how not terrible it is. It reminds me of Miller Chill, though I would actually say that Michelob's take actually features a slightly richer and more authentic lime flavor (Miller Chill, however, is in my opinion a better beer overall). Don't get me wrong, both are watery macros with lime flavors, but they also each have their bright spots too.

I know mine is a minority opinion, but I actually don't mind these types of beers. I like lime in beer, plus both Miller Chill and AB's Lime Cactus here, are otherwise just you're light, quaffable (albeit flavorless) macros.

Am I a lesser beer advocate for kinda liking these types of beers? I am, aren't I?

Recommended, but only if you're in a forgiving mood...

03-05-2008 06:23:03 | More by arguemaniac
goochpunch

2.6/5  rDev +8.3%

Pours out a really pale gold with a rather still body. Typical look going on here, but it seems to have way more of a head thatn your typical light lager. Smells like a lime Otter Pop. Tastes like a lime Otter Pop mixed with Bud Light or something. Not offensive really. Where's the cactus? Mouthfeel is light, prickly, and a little bit sticky. Not a bad beer to drink as if it were a soda. Leaps and bounds above Miller Chill, IMHO. Little disappointed at a total lack of nopal in the beer.

02-28-2008 21:57:38 | More by goochpunch
Overlord

1.4/5  rDev -41.7%

This was one of three Michelob "Ultra" fruit beers I sampled in the last few months. I reviewed the pomegranate one, but apparently never got around to posting my opinion of this beast.

Smells, and tastes, like lime extract mixed with sugar. You'd think it would be a bitter, sour beer, but it's not. Just chemical laden and putrid. Also overly carbonated and watery. It stretches the definition of "beer." Oddly, the smell is not nearly as offensive as the flavor.

02-18-2008 01:16:13 | More by Overlord
Bamabrew22

Alabama

1.78/5  rDev -25.8%

This was free at a recent marathon runner's expo. Normally, the best tasting beer is free beer, but this one really shut that theory down. Poured a pale, translucent gold with a smallish wispy head. Head quickly disappears, I guess, running away from the lime-cactus additive. Lime dominates the nose and taste of this brew. Really light, ultra light on taste. Mostly just overcarbonation and alcohol is all you notice. Would drink again if free, but doubtful that I'd ever purposely purchase this one.

02-11-2008 19:17:01 | More by Bamabrew22
AshevilleSippin

1.55/5  rDev -35.4%

Quick Version:
Run away as fast as you can. Just awful. Sickening sweet chemical lime candy smell, taste, and finish. Probably the first and only beer I'll review and not completely consume.

Details:
Need I say more?

OK, Poured very crisp and busy. Short snow white head perked up and vanished instantly. Powerful carbonation. Like a fountain Coke when the syrup ran out. Color is light yellow. A tad darker than regular Mich Ultra.

Smell is overwhelming of fake lime with plenty of sugar. Much like a Sprite that someone dropped a couple of those hard lime spherical candies in the bottom of. You know, the kind you dreaded getting in your Trick or Treat sack that had the clear plastic wrap with no writing on it.

The taste is just like the smell, just stronger. With even more sensation of that bad imitation lime potion they poured in (possibly known to the State of California to cause...)

The finish and aftertaste are simply a lengthy unwanted continuation of the smell and taste.

I bet they never sell a second six pack of this stuff to anyone on the planet.

I'd give it 1.0's for smell, taste, mouthfeel, and drinkability but I have my suspicions some brewer somewhere will get the dubious distinction of sneaking under this one and I'll need room to move down...

01-23-2008 02:51:30 | More by AshevilleSippin
ChoqlitStout

1.78/5  rDev -25.8%

A: urine yellow, with a thin, white head that disappears quickly.

S: It DOES smell like lime. Don't know about the cactus, cuz I've never smelled or tasted cactus, but lime is there.

T: Sweet and limey. It's really watery, like you expect an ultra-light beer to be. Assuming you call that beer...

M: Carbonated and light. I guess that's what it's supposed to be?

D: Session beer for low-carb lovers. It's not as sickeningly sweet as a wine cooler, so it works for non-beer drinkers who want to say they're having a beer.

Ok, so, compared to other really good beers I've had, this beer isn't even worth drinking. So, it has a low score. But, compared to other macrobrewed session beers, it's not bad for a light beer. It's better than Miller Lite and Bud Lite, honestly.

01-20-2008 23:14:45 | More by ChoqlitStout
feloniousmonk

2.05/5  rDev -14.6%

Why does this beer exist? Michelob Ultra ...that suckered the weight watchers into drinking some exciting new low-carb brew, yes, but were any of those people thinking, "this would be so much better if it tasted less like water, and more like limes and cacti"? Really?

And why did BuckeyeNation send me a bottle? What did I ever do to him?

Oh, well, here's a beer, for better or worse, and I'm gonna drink it...and out of an Arrogant Bastard pint glass, too!

Clear pale yellow, with a solid slab of white foam holding guard on top.

Aroma: sweetness and citrus, flowery, lightly bitter, but more sweet...is that from the cactus. We're wasting away in Margaritaville...again. This doesn't smell like a beer, but it does smell like rose's lime juice. Phooey on that.

Drink it, you trooper!
What the hell? I've never had the regular Ultra, avoided it all these years, understood it to be as watery as water can be...and here's a flavored version, and it's practically non-existent. The sweetish lime flavor hangs in the mouth, but the body is so light and the flavor so minimal you wonder what the point of it all is...really, who is this aimed for? "I like a beer with a little flavor, a little teeny, tiny bit...so little that it wasn't worth the effort to put it in..."

Just have a vodka tonic. This isn't beer. It's just sad.

I'm gonna crack open an IPA and pretend this never happened. And don't anyone remind me of it, or we're through, got it?

Anyway...where were we...ah, yeah, that tasty IPA, now we're talkin'...

12-28-2007 10:20:59 | More by feloniousmonk
BuckeyeNation

Iowa

2.53/5  rDev +5.4%

Pale yellow with no hint of lime green. At least the brewery decided against artificial coloring. The bright white cap looks okay initially, then less okay as it snap, crackles and pops its way into the atmosphere. In case you were wondering, the beer is only slightly less loud than a certain breakfast cereal with which it shares a major ingredient. A pathetic attempt at lace drops the score a bit farther.

The nose is acceptable in a 'watered down Margerita' kind of way. I happen to like margeritas if they aren't too sweet, so I'm okay with it. It's definitely lime juicy with a bit of a tequila tang. As beer, I'm less than impressed.

Lime Cactus is probably my favorite of the Ultra fruit pilsners. I really should have put quotes around that last word since this stuff is anything but an authentic pilsner (that word must have focus grouped well). It seems less offensive than the others. At least until the finish, when the accessory flavors fade and permit the taste buds to appreciate the watery grain juice-like base beer.

If I had to drink one of the Michelob Ultras, I'd want one that had a little flavor... like this one. Something to cover up the nastiness that is bound to be present when the carbs are this low. Even though MULC tastes like lightly carbonated water mixed with lime Jello and a drop or two of Cuervo Gold, it's drinkable in its own way. Would I ever buy another bottle? Not a chance in hell.

It may be unfair to criticize the mouthfeel on a light lager for being watery, but A-B could have done better than this. I don't recall a thinner, more aqueous beer. A short spritz of carbonation disappears almost as soon as it appears, keeping the annoyance factor on the low side.

Lime Cactus probably flies off the shelves during the warmer months of the year. It goes without saying that it's light years away from real beer and isn't worth your hard-earned money. Kind of like Corona with a lime slice crammed into the neck.

12-24-2007 14:10:19 | More by BuckeyeNation
Pegasus

1.7/5  rDev -29.2%

Appearance: Clear medium golden color, with a large white head, which quickly vanished, no lacing, and profuse carbonation.

Aroma: Bitter lime aroma, with notes of cactus, a faint malt presence. The aroma is not particularly appealing.

Taste: Opens with a harsh chemical lime flavor, rather bitter. Late in the taste, a musty note appears. The taste becomes less appealing as the beer warms.

Mouth feel: Thin and seltzer-like, with harsh carbonation.

Drinkability/notes: Not recommended. The seemingly artificial lime note severely detracts.

Presentation: Packaged in a twelve-ounce clear glass bottle with a twist-off crown, served in a standard pint tap glass.

10-21-2007 19:29:59 | More by Pegasus
scottblaze

2.8/5  rDev +16.7%

I can see it all now....quite clearly....every macro brewer and his dog has gotta get on the bandwagon and do some kinda premix Corona w/lime concoction.

I'm a itttle embarassed to say.... I kinda liked this stuff. It is in the same vein as Miller's god awful Chill but as someone else mentioned, this one is actually balanced in some wierd way. Yes it is a beer for "nonbeer drinkers" but nonetheless I found it to be a refreshing "nonbeer".

Thats about it.... "think Corona Light w/lime" but maybe a little sweetness going on.

Can't say I'd refuse it if offered to me but I know I won't be seeking it out unless my girlfriend likes it. I probably oughta not let her know about this one.

10-02-2007 03:40:09 | More by scottblaze
MTNboy

Germany

2.6/5  rDev +8.3%

Appearance- It is a very light amber color with a lot of fizz there is not much head but there is a little lace.

Smell- Light beer like scent but mainly a fake a fruity smell.

Taste- A faint beer like taste but mainly an overly lime taste almost like Miller Chill but not as kool-aid like.

Mouthfeel- Water like with some fizz.

Drinkability- A good beer for people who aren’t beer people but want to look cool with a beer or maybe a good meal beer.

10-01-2007 08:18:47 | More by MTNboy
BigBry

Alberta (Canada)

2.68/5  rDev +11.7%

Clear bottle (as pictured), Born on Dat 23 Jun 07. Thanks for bring this on back and sharing on a hot afternoon.
Pours a clear and light yellow color, small white head forms and then disappears. The smell has lots of lime, but not much else. No suprise in the taste - Michelob Ultra (bland, thin) with lime juice added. A bit sweet with a citrus bite. If I didn't know better, it could easily have been a ginger ale - the mouthfeel is very fizzy, highly carbonated like a soda. Drinks like a soda and not really a beer. If they are making a light beer without beer flavor, then they have succeeded - think Corona Light with the lime already added.

08-07-2007 15:31:06 | More by BigBry
Vancer

2.05/5  rDev -14.6%

Beer one of the trifecta sample set of the Pomegranate, Tuscan & Cactus – from worst to best IMO.

Poured a weak and lame fizzy light amber, dead white head and no lacing. Limeade / sweet and sour mixer aroma and taste. This stuff is like weak, opened day old soda. This is like drinking limeade mixed with sprite. But, of the three, this was the least offensive.

Just pathetically weak, this stuff is an embarrassment to the craft world of beer – I’d rather have a Tom Collins instead.

Comes in a clear bottle, but since there’s no beer in hear – no light struck worries.

08-06-2007 16:07:18 | More by Vancer
Kudashov

2.2/5  rDev -8.3%

While doing some lawnwork with a friend , this stuff was put in my hand and was told " this is some good shit " . I will try to get this friend to try some Houblon Chouffe for tonights Red Sox game ...This stuff is nothing to write home about . I thought the lime flavor would be overwhelming but is was not . There was very little head and no lacing at all . Watery . This will be in his fridge for the rest of the summer but by the time Patriots , Glasgow Celtic season starts . I will have him drinking good beer . I hope ...

07-27-2007 21:07:08 | More by Kudashov
HardTarget

1.68/5  rDev -30%

Bottle Inspection: Clear label lists a born on date of 13APR07 (sampled 21July07), 4.2% abv.

Aroma: Perfumed, sweet 7-up soda with a floral note and lime rind.

Appearance: A full 3 finger head evaporates before my eyes with such haste that I check to see where the nearest exit is located. Glass is crystal clear faint yellow.

Flavor: Cream soda with a flash of plastic lime juice with a finish that goes completely stale and reminds me of dirty gym socks.

Mouthfeel: Fluffy light body, airy, weaksauce.

Overall Impression: Get it away! The malternative killer, this isn’t much better. Beer only by the loosest of standards.

Thanks to Pegasus for not making me buy this karma point.

07-22-2007 05:47:54 | More by HardTarget
mooseisloose

3.38/5  rDev +40.8%

Although not a real connoisseurs brew, taking it for what it is (a low cal mac), the usually bland and watery ultra may have something here. This brew is one of the best thirst quenchers I have drank to date. After a 12 hour day in 90+ degrees and 90% humidity this brew really hits the spot as a starter. I nominate it for the ultimate of lawnmower beers. The semi-sour taste of lime and the tanginess of cactus seems to go well with the high carbonation. The flavor remains semi-sour throughout with a dry tangy finish. Again, not a sessioner for the die-hard, but if you are looking to quench a thirst and enjoy something brewed, this is the ticket.

07-21-2007 02:28:12 | More by mooseisloose
Zorro

2.1/5  rDev -12.5%

An ultra clear and light yellow colored beer from a clear glass bottle. Fairly small white head forms and then disappears.

The smell is strongly of lime and ginger. I know that it is ginger because I am mildly allergic to the stuff and it started my nose to run about two minutes after the first sniff. Smells mostly like ginger ale.

The taste begins tart with an unexpected taste of vanilla and a mild ginger burn in the throat. A bit of sweetness appears after the first sip and this begins to taste like a shandy made from ginger ale and Michelob Ultra. For all intents and purposes this IS a Ginger Ale Shandy make with Michelob Ultra taste wise.

The mouthfeel is better than its parent beer, probably just swimming in Maltodextrin boosting.

Drinkable like a soda and not really a beer. I could be more kind to this beer if they called it a shandy and given a hint they put ginger in it so I could have avoided sniffing it. A beer for those not wanting any annoying beer taste in their mouths.

07-15-2007 05:51:46 | More by Zorro
Drew966

2.1/5  rDev -12.5%

Michelob Ultra Lime Cactus pours a darker shade of yellow than it looked in the clear twelve ounce bottle. There is a thin white head that quickly disappears. The aroma is mostly lime and some sweet fruit that I can't identify. There really is no beer taste to be had here. There is a fruity flavor, with lime being most noticeable. It tastes more like soda than beer, think Sprite or 7-up. Not very good for a beer, but not bad for a malternative.

07-15-2007 00:39:12 | More by Drew966
jwff

Alaska

2.28/5  rDev -5%

This beer is a pale yellow and that's about it. Pretty standard for the style. Smell is a salty lime and that rubbery cheap malt smell. I don't even know what is it but I smell/taste it in all the generic Mexican lagers. The taste is balanced between artificial lime flavoring and seltzer water. Flavorless upfront, but towards the middle/end it takes on a spike of lime-like sweetness. A salty finish with that rubber taste showing up to chill things out. The carbonation is ridiculous. I don't know if it's because I am drinking it from the bottle and it chills out when poured, but I really don't see this beer as intended to be poured. It's decent, but the combination of artificial lime sweetness and frenetic carbonation is doing my stomach in. Better than Miller Chill.

07-07-2007 03:07:31 | More by jwff
whynot44

Missouri

2.68/5  rDev +11.7%

Very light clear gold color with a tiny fizzy head that disappears in a blink.

The aroma is a mild lime with hints of malt.

The taste is very light lime with a hint of cactus fruit in the background, nothing that I can identify with beer.

Very lightly sweet, very light bodied, actually fairly refreshing. Resembles flavored water more than beer, but it could still work as a cooler on a hot summer day.

07-04-2007 04:47:52 | More by whynot44
Frozensoul327

2.6/5  rDev +8.3%

A: Medium yellow color that's totally crystal clear, with a small head of artificial foam that had poor retention. No lace.

S: Definite note of lime. Some mildly sweet notes of sugar and malt. That's just about it.

T: Dangerously similar to Miller Chill; sickly lime and citrus notes mix with a slightly sea salt flavor that doesn't sit too well with the adjuncts and cheap malt. Ugh.

M: Bubbly, slightly sharp and crisp. Very light bodied.

D: Um, it's good for quenching my thirst, but aside from that it's not something i'm gonna seek out again. The weakest of the 3 flavors.

06-25-2007 00:50:56 | More by Frozensoul327