Michelob Ultra Fruit Lime Cactus - Anheuser-Busch

awful

Anheuser-Busch visit their website
Missouri, United States

Light Lager |  4.20% ABV

Michelob ULTRA Fruit Lime Cactus has an exotic fruity aroma with a clean citrus finish.

(Beer added by: BEERchitect on 05-13-2007)
1.53/5  rDev -36%

Overview: a "Frankenstein" beer: made of parts. Looks kinda like beer, tastes kinda like beer; but it ain't beer.

This stuff is just plain awful. Who puts cactus in their beer? Who does that?

I did detect some flavor for the first microsecond, then...nothing...

This and their "tuscan orange grapefruit" are experiments that should never be recreated by mankind. Ever.

On a positive note, the beer in the bottle looks rather attractive. Must be the bottle.

And I do believe that their original regular Ultra certainly does have a place on the great beer shelf of life.

1.73/5  rDev -27.6%

Pours a very, very clear golden with a 1.5 finger fluffy, bright white head. Actually leaves a little lace as it fades. Not bad.

Smell is cereal grain with a dash of some sort of powdered limeade/Kool-Aid mix. Not too appealing. A hint of lime is there, but it's not very strong and it's certainly not very enticing. Taste is what I would imagine Michelob Ultra would be like if I added a lime wedge: Water-beer with a touch of citrus.

Yes, I know it's a "pilsner," but the mouthfeel is exceptionally watery and thin and gross. After I finish enough to review it, the rest is going down the drain. Thankfully, this one was free, or I would really be pissed.

I had a couple of these while washing my car on a 100+ degree day. I kept it in an ice cold mini cooler between sips. I think that helps. You can also quickly chug a couple of these down...save the deer park for something important. Probably great for one of those blazing hot days watching a NASCAR race while getting covered with tire debris in turn 3.

A: crystal clear & yellow

S: sweet citrusy smell

T: almost overpoweringly artificial sweet lime flavor

M: a bit too carbonated

D: Sticking with my "every beer has it's place" theme, serve this beverage extremely cold on a really frickin hot day playing stupid yard games that might end up with a extrodinarily funny injury involving the Ultra bottle and a football.

1.83/5  rDev -23.4%

Bottle pours a transparent body with a hint of pale yellow. Tiny white head quickly vanishes without a trace. Aroma is actually pleasant and inviting, until I remember this is supposed to be a beer. Smells like fresh lime, saltines, and lemon Pez. A nice aroma for something other than a beer. Taste is very light, seltzery, and watery. Pez lemon candy, accented by a Zesta saltine with a twist of fresh lime and a healthy dose of tonic water. A fizzy, lemony, beverage that is a decent thirst quencher if nothing else is available.

2.48/5  rDev +3.8%
look: 2 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Ok, my wife bugged me to buy these for her to drink after coming off the beach.

Drank right from the bottle, old school style.

A: A light watery yellow color with slight low carbonation.

S: I actually pick up a decent amount of lime on the nose of the beer (as much as you can pick up from smelling from a bottle) and not much else.

T: Lime in on the taste first, with some slight grainly grass like flavors. Very light, but that was expected from an Ulta product.

M: Light, but it coats the mouth with flavors.

D: It's best charactaristic. You can slog down a few of these almost at once. They are somewhat refreshing if taken for what they are.

Overall I'd take a Mikes Hard Limeaide over this any day, but it was not totally terrible. Would I ever buy this again? Let's not go overboard here, I think it's once and done for me/us on this one. Even my wife said there is better stuff out there.

2.15/5  rDev -10%

My wife asked me in the grocery store: "Doesn't this look like it might be good?" I said no, but we bought it anyway. She doesn't ask for that much, so what the hell?

Pours a pee yellow color with a big noisy, fizzy, soda-like white head that disappears in a flash leaving nothing behind.
Smells like artificial lime and tastes much the same. Weirdly bitter artificial lime rind flavor is about all there is here. A very weak malt presence hanging around somewhere in the back. This stuff doesn't qualify as beer in my opinion. Tastes very much like Zima. Intense overcarbonation tries to make up for the rediculously light body.

It's fairly refreshing and not undrinkable, but it ain't beer. Suffice it to say that I wouldn't recommend this to any beer lover.

3.38/5  rDev +41.4%

Presentation: Poured from a 12oz clear bottle into a pint glass.

Appearance: The head is bright white in color, fizzy and fades out quickly leaving no head. Its body is pale and light yellow in color with excellent clarity.

Smell: The aroma has a mild citrus lime with light grains and something that reminds me of aloe.

Taste/Mouth feel: Its flavor has mild lime citrus and light grains on a smooth slippery palate. The carbonation is balanced to the light body and the finish is crisp and dry.

Notes: Its very refreshing an highly drinkable.

2.48/5  rDev +3.8%

A - Light yellow with a slightly green cast. The head is brief and small, and some fizz is left on the glass.

S - Limey and salty. Smells like Corona with a huge amount of lime juice and salt.

T - Tastes pretty much like it smells. reminds me of Bud Light Lime and Miller Chill. What's up with this new lime trend?

M - Thin an fizzy. Pretty much feels like a weak lager.

D - Not altogether horrible. I can see how some people would really dig this. My wife bought a six pack of this, and I killed a few while mowing the lawn. After pushing that mower around in the heat, these went down easy.

2.1/5  rDev -12.1%

Yes, I tried this one and I don't know why I sought it out.

This beer was a fizzy whiz-yellow brew that had a loud, very fizzy, half-finger head. Ick. No layers of lace, no nothing. Just gone.

Aroma was of fresh limes, almost like a margarita. Well, that almost seemed like a plus.

Taste was like old lime seltzer. No beer character at all. There was fizz, but no flavor.

Mouthfeel was thin and icky.

Drinkability was horrible. Avoid.

1.4/5  rDev -41.4%

A - Poured out a clear, highly carbonated, yellow with a one-finger, fizzy, short-lived, white head. No lace.

S - It smelled of lime. Also, a odd soapy aroma.

T - It tasted like a super sweet Sprite. So much lime and no beer-like qualities.

M - It was syrupy and lacking in anything beer-like, again.

D - Not worth another try. I just picked up one in a mixer

1.98/5  rDev -17.2%

Got a single of this just because...

Pours out the same as it looks in the bottle, straw color with a fizzy white head that drops to a ring around the glass.

Smell. Has a sugary sweetness, seems similar to a smirnoff ice. there is a lime citrus to it, but it is more of an contribute to the sweet, fizzy-like soda aroma.

Taste. Flavor is sweet and tart. lime comes out in the tartness, but there is no bitterness, so the sweet flavors come out similar to a sprite flavor or a very light smirnoff ice (hate to reference it again).

Mouthfeel. Initially the body is very light with lots of carbonation and reminds me of club soda. But as the flavor comes out so does the beer's body. but it still isnt much, as it's very light...which seems to be the target in a michelob ultra beer.

Overall, I dont know why i put so much effort in reviewing this beer. It's a beer that not supposed to taste like a beer, so if you like it, chances are you're better off with just sticking to the smirnoff and mike hard lemonade...or now miller chill and bl lime...i'd rather a chill or bl lime right now, but it is very subjective based on this beer. Cuz as a liquid, i find it drinkable, but as a beer, I find it on the bottom of the lime infuzed beers.

2.15/5  rDev -10%

Thanks (I think) to Andy for sharing not one but two bottles of Michelob Ultra Lime Cactus. Is this really appropriate? After we've been close friends and beer colleagues for so many years?

Appearance: Pours a crystal clear, yellow body with a small, white head.

Smell: Sweetish aroma of lime and cactus. Sigh.

Taste: Lime and cactus flavor obscures what, at best, would've been an exceedingly pale maltiness. Medium sweetness throughout. No hop character whatsoever. Light finish with the artificial tastes lingering somewhat.

Mouthfeel: Thin-bodied. Medium carbonation.

Drinkability: Very reminiscient of Tequiza, and if that's your bag you may also enjoy this.

1.83/5  rDev -23.4%

Pours a four finger white head that vanishes in a minute and leaves traces of lace. Crystal clear pale amber color. Light carbonation and light bodied. Lime nose. Flavor is sweetened lime and not much else. Squeaky clean finish. Good session beer for the non-beer drinker, nothing here for the serious beer drinker. Very similar to ABs pomegranate raspberry. Brewed on April 5, 2008, $1.50 for a 12oz bottle from Capitol Convenience Concord, NH.

1.9/5  rDev -20.5%

Pours a very light yellow almost like water with a small 1/16 inch head, with average lacing. Below average carbonation with a mild sweet smell of limes Tastes like carbonated limes with only a slight alcohol taste. This is awful and tastes like cleaning solution. It would make a better cleaning product than a malt beverage.

2.38/5  rDev -0.4%

Alright not so much like real beer but it's a good alco pop lime cactus with beer flavor. Ultra thin in the pour head dwindles quick sounds a like a wave settling no bubbles or lacing left behind only apple juice like appearance exists. Aroma has a strong citrus and mild tequila like note bringing back that Tequiza trip all over again. Flavor this time around is not as bad as I recall Tequiza, citrus zing stings the back of the throat heavy carbonation hits home and it's not bad poured but it definitely tastes better and more lime and cactus like straight outta the bottle. Girls dig this stuff, mouthfeel is of carbonated water really really fizzy. Drinkability is a one and done novelty type of thing for me, I definitely couldn't stomach the acidity of the lime flavor in session.

2.98/5  rDev +24.7%

Pours a clear light gold,with a fluffy white head. Not much retention or lacing.Aroma is very weak.Some hints of lime.Body is thin,with just a bit of carbonation.Taste is of lime,and fruit.I'm no huge fan of Anheuser Bush. But for a low carb low cal beer,this is not bad.

2.8/5  rDev +17.2%

Another surprise from Michelob, not that this beer was all that good, but I was astonished by how not terrible it is. It reminds me of Miller Chill, though I would actually say that Michelob's take actually features a slightly richer and more authentic lime flavor (Miller Chill, however, is in my opinion a better beer overall). Don't get me wrong, both are watery macros with lime flavors, but they also each have their bright spots too.

I know mine is a minority opinion, but I actually don't mind these types of beers. I like lime in beer, plus both Miller Chill and AB's Lime Cactus here, are otherwise just you're light, quaffable (albeit flavorless) macros.

Am I a lesser beer advocate for kinda liking these types of beers? I am, aren't I?

Recommended, but only if you're in a forgiving mood...

2.6/5  rDev +8.8%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3

Pours out a really pale gold with a rather still body. Typical look going on here, but it seems to have way more of a head thatn your typical light lager. Smells like a lime Otter Pop. Tastes like a lime Otter Pop mixed with Bud Light or something. Not offensive really. Where's the cactus? Mouthfeel is light, prickly, and a little bit sticky. Not a bad beer to drink as if it were a soda. Leaps and bounds above Miller Chill, IMHO. Little disappointed at a total lack of nopal in the beer.

1.4/5  rDev -41.4%

This was one of three Michelob "Ultra" fruit beers I sampled in the last few months. I reviewed the pomegranate one, but apparently never got around to posting my opinion of this beast.

Smells, and tastes, like lime extract mixed with sugar. You'd think it would be a bitter, sour beer, but it's not. Just chemical laden and putrid. Also overly carbonated and watery. It stretches the definition of "beer." Oddly, the smell is not nearly as offensive as the flavor.

1.78/5  rDev -25.5%

This was free at a recent marathon runner's expo. Normally, the best tasting beer is free beer, but this one really shut that theory down. Poured a pale, translucent gold with a smallish wispy head. Head quickly disappears, I guess, running away from the lime-cactus additive. Lime dominates the nose and taste of this brew. Really light, ultra light on taste. Mostly just overcarbonation and alcohol is all you notice. Would drink again if free, but doubtful that I'd ever purposely purchase this one.

1.55/5  rDev -35.1%
look: 2.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

Quick Version:
Run away as fast as you can. Just awful. Sickening sweet chemical lime candy smell, taste, and finish. Probably the first and only beer I'll review and not completely consume.

Details:
Need I say more?

OK, Poured very crisp and busy. Short snow white head perked up and vanished instantly. Powerful carbonation. Like a fountain Coke when the syrup ran out. Color is light yellow. A tad darker than regular Mich Ultra.

Smell is overwhelming of fake lime with plenty of sugar. Much like a Sprite that someone dropped a couple of those hard lime spherical candies in the bottom of. You know, the kind you dreaded getting in your Trick or Treat sack that had the clear plastic wrap with no writing on it.

The taste is just like the smell, just stronger. With even more sensation of that bad imitation lime potion they poured in (possibly known to the State of California to cause...)

The finish and aftertaste are simply a lengthy unwanted continuation of the smell and taste.

I bet they never sell a second six pack of this stuff to anyone on the planet.

I'd give it 1.0's for smell, taste, mouthfeel, and drinkability but I have my suspicions some brewer somewhere will get the dubious distinction of sneaking under this one and I'll need room to move down...

1.78/5  rDev -25.5%

A: urine yellow, with a thin, white head that disappears quickly.

S: It DOES smell like lime. Don't know about the cactus, cuz I've never smelled or tasted cactus, but lime is there.

T: Sweet and limey. It's really watery, like you expect an ultra-light beer to be. Assuming you call that beer...

M: Carbonated and light. I guess that's what it's supposed to be?

D: Session beer for low-carb lovers. It's not as sickeningly sweet as a wine cooler, so it works for non-beer drinkers who want to say they're having a beer.

Ok, so, compared to other really good beers I've had, this beer isn't even worth drinking. So, it has a low score. But, compared to other macrobrewed session beers, it's not bad for a light beer. It's better than Miller Lite and Bud Lite, honestly.

2.05/5  rDev -14.2%

Why does this beer exist? Michelob Ultra ...that suckered the weight watchers into drinking some exciting new low-carb brew, yes, but were any of those people thinking, "this would be so much better if it tasted less like water, and more like limes and cacti"? Really?

And why did BuckeyeNation send me a bottle? What did I ever do to him?

Oh, well, here's a beer, for better or worse, and I'm gonna drink it...and out of an Arrogant Bastard pint glass, too!

Clear pale yellow, with a solid slab of white foam holding guard on top.

Aroma: sweetness and citrus, flowery, lightly bitter, but more sweet...is that from the cactus. We're wasting away in Margaritaville...again. This doesn't smell like a beer, but it does smell like rose's lime juice. Phooey on that.

Drink it, you trooper!
What the hell? I've never had the regular Ultra, avoided it all these years, understood it to be as watery as water can be...and here's a flavored version, and it's practically non-existent. The sweetish lime flavor hangs in the mouth, but the body is so light and the flavor so minimal you wonder what the point of it all is...really, who is this aimed for? "I like a beer with a little flavor, a little teeny, tiny bit...so little that it wasn't worth the effort to put it in..."

Just have a vodka tonic. This isn't beer. It's just sad.

I'm gonna crack open an IPA and pretend this never happened. And don't anyone remind me of it, or we're through, got it?

Anyway...where were we...ah, yeah, that tasty IPA, now we're talkin'...

2.53/5  rDev +5.9%

Pale yellow with no hint of lime green. At least the brewery decided against artificial coloring. The bright white cap looks okay initially, then less okay as it snap, crackles and pops its way into the atmosphere. In case you were wondering, the beer is only slightly less loud than a certain breakfast cereal with which it shares a major ingredient. A pathetic attempt at lace drops the score a bit farther.

The nose is acceptable in a 'watered down Margerita' kind of way. I happen to like margeritas if they aren't too sweet, so I'm okay with it. It's definitely lime juicy with a bit of a tequila tang. As beer, I'm less than impressed.

Lime Cactus is probably my favorite of the Ultra fruit pilsners. I really should have put quotes around that last word since this stuff is anything but an authentic pilsner (that word must have focus grouped well). It seems less offensive than the others. At least until the finish, when the accessory flavors fade and permit the taste buds to appreciate the watery grain juice-like base beer.

If I had to drink one of the Michelob Ultras, I'd want one that had a little flavor... like this one. Something to cover up the nastiness that is bound to be present when the carbs are this low. Even though MULC tastes like lightly carbonated water mixed with lime Jello and a drop or two of Cuervo Gold, it's drinkable in its own way. Would I ever buy another bottle? Not a chance in hell.

It may be unfair to criticize the mouthfeel on a light lager for being watery, but A-B could have done better than this. I don't recall a thinner, more aqueous beer. A short spritz of carbonation disappears almost as soon as it appears, keeping the annoyance factor on the low side.

Lime Cactus probably flies off the shelves during the warmer months of the year. It goes without saying that it's light years away from real beer and isn't worth your hard-earned money. Kind of like Corona with a lime slice crammed into the neck.

1.7/5  rDev -28.9%

Appearance: Clear medium golden color, with a large white head, which quickly vanished, no lacing, and profuse carbonation.

Aroma: Bitter lime aroma, with notes of cactus, a faint malt presence. The aroma is not particularly appealing.

Taste: Opens with a harsh chemical lime flavor, rather bitter. Late in the taste, a musty note appears. The taste becomes less appealing as the beer warms.

Mouth feel: Thin and seltzer-like, with harsh carbonation.

Drinkability/notes: Not recommended. The seemingly artificial lime note severely detracts.

Presentation: Packaged in a twelve-ounce clear glass bottle with a twist-off crown, served in a standard pint tap glass.

Michelob Ultra Fruit Lime Cactus from Anheuser-Busch