Michelob Ultra | Anheuser-Busch

Michelob UltraMichelob Ultra

Anheuser-Busch
Missouri, United States | website

Style: Light Lager

Brewed using the finest barley malt, select grains, all-imported hops and a pure-cultured yeast strain. The special choice of grains combined with the extended mashing process produces a smooth, refreshing beer with fewer carbohydrates.

Added by BeerAdvocate on 05-19-2002

Reviews: 583 | Ratings: 2,174
Reviews by Beerking721:
1.3/5  rDev -29.3%

Obviously AB had created a watered down lo cal/carb beer for people who want to drink a beer but don't like beer (if you know what I mean...). Had this at a friend's wedding last week. :(

A = Light pale straw in color with a short-lived minor head and no lace.

S = Very minimal grain presence.

T = This reminds me of some stale "big city" tap water with a minimal level of beer flavor added as an after thought.

M = Thin and watery...

D = Couldn't get past the first couple of swallows.

No food pairing suggestions on this weak effort.

Wow, this place is loaded with snobs. Beer enthusiasts are getting bad raps because of haters that crap on everything that isn't 100 ibus. Beer is beer, folks are getting snobbier than the wineos at my restaurant. It's a cheap, clean beer meant to be drank out of a can, on the golf course, around a fire, or just when you dont feel like sinking 12-16 bucks on a six pack. It is what it is beer snobs.

4.68/5  rDev +154.3%

I am a fan of domestic light beer, and this is my goto. The bros insist waitresses card me when I order, claiming you can't order Ultra unless you are under 21. But I can't help myself, this is what I like. I can drink these all night with no damage. If you like flavor or a buzz, stay away - this aint THAT brew. This is for guys like me who harvest flavor from the enchiladas, and seek refreshment from my brew.

2.91/5  rDev +58.2%

Appearance – This one is, of course, extremely light yellow in color. The head rose up nicely.

Smell – Well, it still smells like cheap American grain, so I don’t know what they took out to make it, “Ultra.”

Taste – In looking at my notes on the regular Michelob, the cheap sweetness seems to have been extracted for the sake of carb reduction. This is actually an improvement. Also, the grain doesn’t seem to taste so bad. Who ‘da thunk?

Mouthfeel – The good carbonation and absence of cheap sugars make this one a not-so-bad alternative to a real beer.

Drinkability – I can’t believe I’m writing this, but this beer isn’t half bad.

1.2/5  rDev -34.8%

Fascinating. The fact that Michelob Ultra is allowed by law to be labelled and marketed as "beer" has to be the one of the most massive examples of wool being pulled over consumers' eyes.

Its not that 1.0 is too high of a score to rate this beer. The thing is that these areas to be graded: appearance, smell, taste, mouthfeel - they simply don't APPLY. There is just nothing there. Mic Ultra doesnt even attempt to imitate what the general public's perception of a "beer" is (BudMillerCoors).

It looks like a glass of city water with the smallest eye-dropper amount of pale beer added. It smells that way too, which is to say there isnt really any scent. There is the most minimal amount of carbonation that disappears without a trace after one second in your mouth.

And the taste. My god, the taste. Once again, how is this allowed to be called beer? Only in America... It's kinda like someone went into a grassy field and siphoned a tiny puddle after a storm. And then went home & diluted the puddle water even more. Like there's sort of a flavor there, but you are not quite sure, because it was gone so quickly.

So why did I give the drinkability such a (relatively) high score? Well, quite simply, you could POUND these things. I mean chug them like they were gatorade and you had just run 5 miles. You would never notice. There's not a chance in hell of MicUltra ever filling you up.

Speaking of running - this is the "beer" you pour in your water bottle before you take off on a half-marathon. Or at least that's what the advertising would have you believe. Sooner than later the carb-craze will die, and MicUltra will be one of the casualties. No sad farewell. Just chuckles years down the line when asked "hey, remember when there was low-carb beer?"

Not as bad as some of these reviews would indicate. I'm not a ABI or MillerCoors fan at all but when I'm at someone's house for a barbecue and its hot and humid as hell this isn't a bad choice. Time and place I suppose.

4.76/5  rDev +158.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

After lengthy test of human endurance, man prefers to be rewarded with this magnificent brew. Cans are the prefered container due to their low weight for packing on a cycling, sailing, or skiing adventure. The slender size makes the cans perfect for packing into ones jeans. Optimally cans can be inserted through the front zipper stashed in the jeans above the ski boots. The cans are often purchased by the "30" as they are assorted into a beautiful suitcase. In ones hands delicate fingers wrap effortlessly to ensure a tight grip. The feeling of holding a slender tall yet athletic can can only be compared to the exhilarating feel of yachting on the mediterranean after a grueling cycle through the dolomites. The taste is world renowned. Some have compared the taste to that of a very young yet well fed flamingo, oh how delicious they are. After consumption the body feels a great pleasure which has no equal. The smell brings ill prepared man to his knees for it is unrivaled. As the beer slides down a man's throat he oft not forget how powerful each day he breathes earths air can be.

1.25/5  rDev -32.1%
look: 1.25 | smell: 1.25 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 1.25 | overall: 1.25

Anyone so concerned about their weight that they might stoop to drinking this should just give up and drink a shot of vodka mixed in seltzer or diet tonic water.

4.5/5  rDev +144.6%

I am not sure why people dislike it so much. For 20 bottles it was 12$. Great buy. It is a great beer to relax and drink with. It does the trick but it has decent quality and taste when you compare it to other light beers in the same price range. It has a sweet taste that doesn't linger.

this embarrassing to say I even drank one at one time

3.8/5  rDev +106.5%

You know Meyers Briggs? That personality test. So it seems I'm basically an INTJ which means I have somewhat limited tact and I tell things like they are.

Drinking beer is like drinking bread. Face it. Once you realize after years of drinking that great Sierra Nevada Torpedo stuff that it contains, what, 235 calories and 21 carbs per bottle? And that now you are fat? Like I was? You will look for options.

Trust me, there will be a time when this fresh, clean deal or something similar will be your go-to. Until you convert I suggest you keep working out like a m#f&$$er. As good as as the Torpedo? No. For the trade-off -- definitely.

1.34/5  rDev -27.2%

Presentation: 12 oz brown twist off bottle with a “Born On Date” on the neck. States “Calories – 95, Carbohydrates- 2.6” and “Low Carbohydrate Light Beer” on the label.

Appearance: Very pale yellow, perhaps the lightest colour brew I have ever seen. Skimpy white lace does not amount to much, pours out spritzy and almost soda like.

Smell: Odd adjunct aroma, smells of faint cooked corn and mild husk. Other than that it is very clean.

Taste: Watery and thin, very little flavour at all. The crispness is on the right track though with the beer being so light is gives a seltzer like quality. Trace malt is hard to find but it is there, clean husk and cooked adjunct are extremely light also. Vague hop twang with a laughable bitterness, so minute that it brings nothing to the palate. Finishes clean and bone dry without a trace.

Notes: Can beer get any lighter than this? Is this the base product for the production of malternative. This is light beer, so light there is nothing there. People who seek this beer out are people with boring beer palates. There are better light beers out there, even then what is the point? I compare this beer with baked fat free light nacho chips … its like eating air, what’s the point? Don’t even bother with this one as it is the most lackluster, boring, gimmicky brew of its time.

1.06/5  rDev -42.4%

Oh my. This is the drink that my friends have while golfing. I really don't see why you wouldn't drink water 1 : 1 with an actual beer instead of drinking this. If you need to count calories that bad, just skip about 250 calories worth of food in a day and enjoy a decent beer......

This used to be one of my favourite beers when I didn't like the bitterness, I went back to taste it again, well, definitely is not something precious, but I don't think that is so bad as the scores here, it might just be for different kind of drinkers, yes, it's actually too soft and almost like drinking water, but there are some people who like this kind of beer, so if you like it go for it.

3.4/5  rDev +84.8%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

I was very drunk while drinking this and I have to say much better than budlight and any of it's light beer counterparts. I drank this out of a can at a cold temperature and It's pretty good if you wanna chug on something while dancing and partying. Vaping an ecig and drinking this beer is beautiful and an awesome feeling. Give this a beer a try and you may or may not hate it depending on how much of a beer snob you are.

4.17/5  rDev +126.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

I'm diabetic with high triglycerides...not supposed to drink beer or whiskey, on both counts. From more healthy days, WAY back, my top three beers were Warsteiner, Becks, and Michelob Light. I'm not supposed to drink ANY beer, but I sneak one every month or so. So far, the only beer that doesn't impact my physical conditions (on a ONE beer serving only basis) is Michelob Ultra. Admittedly, it doesn't have the qualities of a Warsteiner or a Becks (which would now yield me "Alley Oop" ankles, on one serving) but it does compare favorably (for me) to Michelob Light, my favorite American beer. Ultra is not one of my top three beers, but if I want to avoid painful swelling in my ankles & lower legs while enjoying a single beer a month...it is my ONLY beer and I am truly grateful for it. It is enjoyable, and that's what it's now all about, for me!

2.36/5  rDev +28.3%
look: 1.75 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.25

Get your water on, this one features select city water system tap water as its dominant aspect. So light and yellow you can see through it like it's one of those fish tanks at Scheel's. Aroma. Like smelling air.

Taste was barely there, lots of cool smooth water with lots of carbonation. Go looking for barley, you can find it. Its like having a beer, and cutting it with water. Mild hop noble jack stuff.

Climb a rock, shoot a commercial, post a selfie, drink this beer to let people know you let your hair down when not working out.

2.64/5  rDev +43.5%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.5

This isn't a top notch beer, but it has a taste that I personally find to be quite decent. I'll take it over Bud Light, Coors Light, and Miller Light any day of the week. It's also my father's go-to beer so it'll be in stock whenever I visit, but I've introduced him to some better stuff here and there to let him know that there is indeed more out there. I'll never diss anyone over this stuff though.

3.25/5  rDev +76.6%

It's a light lager and for it is, it isn't half bad.

2.84/5  rDev +54.3%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3

12 oz. bottle poured into a nonic pint glass.

Look: Vigorous pour into glass brought a big head that faded fast to a ring of foam where the beer meets the glass. Very little lacing. Extremely pale yellow in color. Quite transparent.
Smell: Faint smell of cooked grains and vegetables.
Taste: Hints of slight bitterness. Banana, rice, corn, malt. Nothing outstanding or dominant.
Feel: Thin, slighlty milky feel on tongue when beer gets swished in my mouth. Real easy on the carbonation.
Overall: A light beer for the days when I am at a gathering and will be drinking more than a couple. It gets a bad rap for not having any flavor. While not the most flavorful light beer on the market, it's far from being the worse.

Piss water. Drank it out of a can after a 5k. No idea about look or lacing. Tastes like typical macro-brewed piss water. Got 2 cans free, only drank one. Don't ever wanna drink this garbage again. What little flavor it had tasted artificial. Reminds me of a watered-down Coors Light.

1.75/5  rDev -4.9%
look: 1.75 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 1.75

This is basically just watered down beer. It drinks a lot like Bud Light but with a lot more water. I guess it's a good beer for someone on a diet, but I don't get the point. If you want something watered down, just drink water.

2.8/5  rDev +52.2%

Not good, but there are worse American adjunct lagers. Here goes:

A: Gold, well-carbonated. Actually leaves OK lacing.

S: Mostly corn, but not as bad as that of other AAL's. Can actually get some lightly-kilned barley and mild hops.

T: Follows the nose. Some hops and barley on a mostly corn background.

F: Smooth and crisp. OK.

O: OK for what it is. Comparable to Budweiser. Better than Miller and Heineken.

3.93/5  rDev +113.6%

I don't know why this beer gets knocked all the time, if you want a low carb/light beer with a decent taste and a higher than 3% volume this is it.

1.75/5  rDev -4.9%