Michelob Ultra - Anheuser-Busch

Anheuser-Busch visit their website
Missouri, United States

Light Lager |  4.20% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 05-19-2002

Brewed using the finest barley malt, select grains, all-imported hops and a pure-cultured yeast strain. The special choice of grains combined with the extended mashing process produces a smooth, refreshing beer with fewer carbohydrates.
to view more.
Ratings: 1,973 | Reviews: 590
Reviews by Diz0915:
2.18/5  rDev +17.8%

The bottle is so decieving..

It's like "DRINK ME! I am a creation of the beer Gods."

But then you taste it and you are like "That jerk lied to me!"

I was encouraged by every frat-boy, tailgater and party boys to try this and that is was amazing. I refrained because I am more of a full-bodied beer guy, myself..
Alas, I was at a Liquor store and was feeling generous and I picked up a six-pack along with my regular 12 pack of Budweiser...

Boy, was that a waste of $8! I ended up giving it away to my cousin because I could barely stomach the bottle I had and moved on to bigger and better things. (Budweiser)

1.2/5  rDev -35.1%

Fascinating. The fact that Michelob Ultra is allowed by law to be labelled and marketed as "beer" has to be the one of the most massive examples of wool being pulled over consumers' eyes.

Its not that 1.0 is too high of a score to rate this beer. The thing is that these areas to be graded: appearance, smell, taste, mouthfeel - they simply don't APPLY. There is just nothing there. Mic Ultra doesnt even attempt to imitate what the general public's perception of a "beer" is (BudMillerCoors).

It looks like a glass of city water with the smallest eye-dropper amount of pale beer added. It smells that way too, which is to say there isnt really any scent. There is the most minimal amount of carbonation that disappears without a trace after one second in your mouth.

And the taste. My god, the taste. Once again, how is this allowed to be called beer? Only in America... It's kinda like someone went into a grassy field and siphoned a tiny puddle after a storm. And then went home & diluted the puddle water even more. Like there's sort of a flavor there, but you are not quite sure, because it was gone so quickly.

So why did I give the drinkability such a (relatively) high score? Well, quite simply, you could POUND these things. I mean chug them like they were gatorade and you had just run 5 miles. You would never notice. There's not a chance in hell of MicUltra ever filling you up.

Speaking of running - this is the "beer" you pour in your water bottle before you take off on a half-marathon. Or at least that's what the advertising would have you believe. Sooner than later the carb-craze will die, and MicUltra will be one of the casualties. No sad farewell. Just chuckles years down the line when asked "hey, remember when there was low-carb beer?"

this embarrassing to say I even drank one at one time

2.91/5  rDev +57.3%

Appearance – This one is, of course, extremely light yellow in color. The head rose up nicely.

Smell – Well, it still smells like cheap American grain, so I don’t know what they took out to make it, “Ultra.”

Taste – In looking at my notes on the regular Michelob, the cheap sweetness seems to have been extracted for the sake of carb reduction. This is actually an improvement. Also, the grain doesn’t seem to taste so bad. Who ‘da thunk?

Mouthfeel – The good carbonation and absence of cheap sugars make this one a not-so-bad alternative to a real beer.

Drinkability – I can’t believe I’m writing this, but this beer isn’t half bad.

When I used to wait tables at an Italian joint we carried this stuff. I sold tons of it one summer during the height of the low-carb craze.

A lot of people loved it, although, that's too general. A lot women, no...still too general, a lot of really, really trashy 38-45 year-old women with stretch lines, bad dye jobs, and huge bangs loved this beer. They would drink like 5 or 6 of them with meals, which they would order like this:

“Hi, I'd like this rigatoni only can you add cheese and extra sausage and hold the pasta?”

Freaks! Who goes to an Italian restaurant and says "hold the pasta." People who like this liquid made my job difficult and that's reason enough to trash it.

The other reason is that it is not beer in any way, shape, or form.

Some folks might say that its drinkable but since it’s basically water and can’t give you a buzz no matter how much you drink, I’m giving it a one. I’d rather drink water and so this is obviously the most undrinkable beer ever.

Bring on the Natty Ice, I’ll take that hangover over this swill anytime.

1.95/5  rDev +5.4%

Michelob Ultra light Lager style beer 4.2% alcohol. One pint 8oz can poured into becker glass.

A- Appearance on vigorous pour is nothing more than lightly foamy water with a piss colored hue.

S- Light grainy and metallic scents loom over a slight musky malt aroma.

T-M- Taste is definitly ultra light on all the aspect of a true beer but not offensive in any way just hints of malts, metallic flavors, and a tinge of hop presence. Mouthfeel is smooth as water as this beer is most likely 90% of that.

D- Hey it a beer to go to town on... I can respect that.

1.97/5  rDev +6.5%

Pours from the slim bottle (LOL...I love how they even make the bottle look slim) a light sunshine yellow color with a fizzy soda pop head that quickly dies out to a small ring of bubbles around the brew. Aromas of sweet cereal grains all over the place. Light hops in the background...fairly bland but not really offensive. I do get an odd sweet fruity aroma as well.

First sip brings a very light crisp maltiness consisting of sweet graininess and a subtle grassy hop in the background. A light fruity taste floats in and out. Watery, boring, but overall unoffensive. Ends with a crisp sweet grainy aftertaste.

Mouthfeel is thin like water with brash carbonation that attacks the entire mouth. Seems way overcarbonated to me. Had this brew for free as it was in the work fridge. Nothing I'd ever seek out on my own. Boring, boring, boring...not much more to be said.

This is nothing but carbonated water with a little alcohol mixed in. I really don't even consider this beer a 'social' beer. It's a disappointment. Michelob does have several other selections that are respectable. I consider this one to have one of the worst taste's of any beer I've tried.

1.2/5  rDev -35.1%

12 onz brown bottle

Appearance is very pale light yellow color with no head ,

The smell is like veggies but not some good ones.

Taste is (what taste?) very wattery , like a real beer with ice, there's not a lot in here.

If you are goingt to drink this beer because of low carbs,you should not drink anything at all.It makes you think is there a real different between having a good beer with 100 to 120 carbs or punish your self with this beer for some carbs???

1.85/5  rDev 0%

I keep a few around for company who insist on a light BMC. They're getting old so I decided to pop one for myself. Not a bad idea actually. Nothing like grounding my taste buds once in a while.
Do I have to go through the rating process?
Suffice it to say it poured a very pale yellow into a pilsner glass.
Taste not all that bad if you can call it taste.
How can something non-existent be horrible?
Rhetorical question.
Quenched my thirst and I'm still here.
I'm not going to bother keeping these things around anymore.

2.3/5  rDev +24.3%

to say this beer is watered down is an understatment. i guess this beer would be good for someone on the low carb diet, other than that i see no real use for it other than ocassional because although the taste is nearly nothing it still has more taste than bud light, but that does not say much.

3.2/5  rDev +73%

I can't really smell this. It is light and watery, but for its style, it isn't bad. For beer, it is terrible, but comparing it to other American Macro Lager offerings, not bad. I tried to keep that in mind when making my review. I was at a movie theater, so the cup was frost-colored plastic. Still, from what I could see, it was very light colored and pale. It retained a thin head for a long time. As it warmed, the malts became more defined. It tasted slightly fruity. There was no identifiable hops taste. Given the choice between this and city water, which tastes like a swimming pool, I'd drink this. (That was my choice.)

1.45/5  rDev -21.6%

Found in a beer tub at a back yard BBQ. Used for "flippy cup" drinking game.

nearly clear, very bubbly. clean crisp watery.

Bland flavor and the after taste is crisp boorishness.

I'm surprised this beer has 4.20 abv! That's kind of high for what I was expecting.

I would avoid drinking this beer in the future. Very bad beer.

1.27/5  rDev -31.4%

Some people left this behind at my house so I figured that I would at least try it. This is my first time ever tasting this stuff. Pours an extremely pale, extremely clear, straw color with big soda-like carbonation bubbles. Very small head that fizzles out quickly. Aroma is of light grains, adjuncts, corn, and a slightly "off-smell." Whoa, the taste is REALLY bad. This beer brings out a new level of skunkiness. Tastes extremely watery with an intense skunkiness in the finish. Mouthfeel is very watery and carbonated. This is one of the few "drain-pours" that I have had.

1.34/5  rDev -27.6%

Presentation: 12 oz brown twist off bottle with a “Born On Date” on the neck. States “Calories – 95, Carbohydrates- 2.6” and “Low Carbohydrate Light Beer” on the label.

Appearance: Very pale yellow, perhaps the lightest colour brew I have ever seen. Skimpy white lace does not amount to much, pours out spritzy and almost soda like.

Smell: Odd adjunct aroma, smells of faint cooked corn and mild husk. Other than that it is very clean.

Taste: Watery and thin, very little flavour at all. The crispness is on the right track though with the beer being so light is gives a seltzer like quality. Trace malt is hard to find but it is there, clean husk and cooked adjunct are extremely light also. Vague hop twang with a laughable bitterness, so minute that it brings nothing to the palate. Finishes clean and bone dry without a trace.

Notes: Can beer get any lighter than this? Is this the base product for the production of malternative. This is light beer, so light there is nothing there. People who seek this beer out are people with boring beer palates. There are better light beers out there, even then what is the point? I compare this beer with baked fat free light nacho chips … its like eating air, what’s the point? Don’t even bother with this one as it is the most lackluster, boring, gimmicky brew of its time.

1.67/5  rDev -9.7%
look: 1 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 2.5

Poured perhaps the palest pale , very clear , with bubbles quickly rising but no head. Smell is very clean , some light corn and adjunct aroma , not much , bit of grain. Taste is crisp , carbonated , extremely light , and clean. Not much flavors to describe really. Mouthfeel is bubbly and crisp. A drinkable beer , its just that i don't want to drink it , if that makes sense. Much better beer out there , don't waste your cash. Unless you don't like flavor in beer or are an extreme calorie counter.

1.24/5  rDev -33%

Serving glass: Poured from bottle into clear cup.

Appearance: Pale yellow with thin bubbly white head, which looks a little odd.

Smell: Mostly carbonation and candy, with a slight graininess. Does not smell like beer.

Taste: Very strange sweet grains, with a candy-like aftertaste.

Feel: Very high carbonation, watery body, very seltzer-like.

Drinkability: Tastes and feels like sweet seltzer water. On the plus side, I actually could finish it.

1.28/5  rDev -30.8%

Wife came home with a 6-pack. Looks, smells, and tastes like a watered-down Budweiser. To recap: clear yellow pour. Sickening corn syrup nose. Watery, beer-like taste with straw and sugar. Upside: you can drink a ton since it is as close to water as you can get. Downside: you have to drink a ton of this to like it. A travesty.

1.57/5  rDev -15.1%

found this little gem in the back of my fridge, figured it was worth a review so here goes.

poured from a 12oz bottle out of the fridge into a pint glass. pours a super clear piss yellow. looks like my pee after a long night of drinking. 2 fingers of head that literally disappeared within seconds.

a tiny bit of bannana like lager funk, but nothing like a hefe or anything, and a little skunky. thats about it.

tastes of carbonated water and a touch of lager funk, thats about it.

super light watery feel, way too much carbonation.

drinkability is all this beer has. its easy to drink if you dont mind the total lack of taste. tastes of water, and is about as easy to drink as water. actually, water is easier to drink.

as far as light lagers go, there are much better choices out there. as my grandfather liked his beer, a raw egg or some salt would make this beer better. i think flying dog said it best, good people drink good beer, and this is far from good beer...

1.63/5  rDev -11.9%
look: 2 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 1.5

Can

A very light colored straw yellow with a very small, rapidly disappearing head that doesn't leave the glass with any stick.

There is almost no aroma to this whatsoever. What's here is very faint: faint grain and a bit of corn.

Following the aroma, the flavor is almost non-existent. There's a very low level of bitterness, some grain, corn, and a touch of sweetness.

Light bodied with moderate to high carbonation.

This may be the lightest, least flavorful beer I've ever had. There is almost nothing here.

2.6/5  rDev +40.5%

Crystal clear pale yellow with a tightly bubbled white head that leaves a quarter inch of foam that lingers long.

Very light and faint aroma, but I can pick out buttered bread and some popcorn.

Flavor of buttered corn, some mild butterscotch. Not a full flavor, very light. A fine bite comes through in the finish, but can't tell if that's some hops or just a ton of carbonation tingling.

Puckery mouthfeel, tingly, finishes dry and crisp.

Not a complex beer, not too flavorful, but honestly not as bad as I expected. Great for people who look to beer as a thirst quencher, or drink it in social situations, and/or have very bland tastes in general.

my dad bought this beer because "[i] need to watch my weight" and he bought a 6 pack and gave 5 to me.

i had it out of a bottle and didnt bother pouring it..i have no idea what it looks like but im guessing clear, because this abortion of a beer tastes like water, feels like water and smells like water. its a crap beer. i was at an airport bar and noticed the person next to me was drinking michelob ultra, which is fine, they like what they like and i cant do anything about it...but when they have sam adams and guinness on tap, why the hell would you drink michelob ultra? then i realized that this "beer", along with just about every other AB product is made for people who dont drink beer.

if youre at a party and they have michelob ultra, do yourself a favor and drink water.

this beer is the absolute worse beer i have ever had. stay the hell away from this atrocity.

2.61/5  rDev +41.1%

While I will agree this beer isn't the greatest to have, but it has its place in the world of beer. Very light, pale, almost no head, little lacing. Light in flavor, not impressive, just a good beer to drink if you don't care about quality and just want to get a buzz without collecting a lot of carbs/calories. I like this beer, but it does kind of suck.

2.34/5  rDev +26.5%
look: 1.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2

Thanks to Tucker for buying a 12 pack of these and usually drinking half of these by the time he gets to wherever we are!

Looks like a very weak, but professional beer, tons of clarity, light watery yellow appearance, thin head. Pour a bunch of water into a normal AAL and this is what it prolly looks like. Aroma, almost nonexistant, but you can get a smidge of barley aroma in it. Its not bad, its just barely present.

Taste, barely anything to taste, but again, it isn't a bad taste, its just extremely watered down. Same with the mouthfeel. When you start to think you can pick up on a small hop zest, you realize its just the massive amount of carbonation they put in. Its like equal parts seltzer water and AAL.

I like this beer when its like 100 degrees out. Or when I need to cleanse my palate. Other than that, I don't understand this beer, but its not bad. Just watered down. Which is bad. Hmmm. Its somewhere between bad and watered down.

1.64/5  rDev -11.4%

Upon seeing my weird look at the promotional ad, the bartender ponied up a free bottle at lunch today...

Whew, very pale slighly greenish color, only Beck's Light is paler in my experience. Terrible head, gone in 10 seconds. Not much of a sense of aroma to all, a little bit of grassy pea pod sense. Gassy as all get out, fizzy from beginning to the stomach. Vague quianine water flavor, slight artificial lemon, slight metallics. Very unidimensional from front to back. To me, this "brew" is an abomination, though it might make a good base for a cheap-ass punch at a frat party. Sorry, can't recommend, even within style.

to view more.