2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Michelob Ultra - Anheuser-Busch

Michelob UltraMichelob Ultra

awful

awful

Anheuser-Busch visit their website
Missouri, United States

Light Lager |  4.20% ABV

Brewed using the finest barley malt, select grains, all-imported hops and a pure-cultured yeast strain. The special choice of grains combined with the extended mashing process produces a smooth, refreshing beer with fewer carbohydrates.

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 05-19-2002)
View: Beers (76) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Michelob Ultra Alström Bros
Ratings: 1,479 | Reviews: 528 | Show All Ratings:
LIL-BOOSIE

Vermont

4.76/5  rDev +160.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

After lengthy test of human endurance, man prefers to be rewarded with this magnificent brew. Cans are the prefered container due to their low weight for packing on a cycling, sailing, or skiing adventure. The slender size makes the cans perfect for packing into ones jeans. Optimally cans can be inserted through the front zipper stashed in the jeans above the ski boots. The cans are often purchased by the "30" as they are assorted into a beautiful suitcase. In ones hands delicate fingers wrap effortlessly to ensure a tight grip. The feeling of holding a slender tall yet athletic can can only be compared to the exhilarating feel of yachting on the mediterranean after a grueling cycle through the dolomites. The taste is world renowned. Some have compared the taste to that of a very young yet well fed flamingo, oh how delicious they are. After consumption the body feels a great pleasure which has no equal. The smell brings ill prepared man to his knees for it is unrivaled. As the beer slides down a man's throat he oft not forget how powerful each day he breathes earths air can be.

02-01-2014 05:16:25 | More by LIL-BOOSIE
LightEnthusiast

South Dakota

4.35/5  rDev +137.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

I like this beer. I can have it cold, I can have it warm (that's right!). And there's no "ick" taste to it. Maybe I got a good case? There's no "ick" factor when swallowing and I can drink it whether it's ice cold or it has been sitting out for an hour. This is a good beer with food or alone. The character is not there, the "colour" is not there, the "texture" is not there - but who cares? I don't! If it tastes good and I can have bottle after bottle without feeling gross or having a nasty aftertaste, it's a winner to me. Plus it's a light beer with low calories. I was appalled to see this had an F rating. Crap!

Michelob Ultra is one of my top beers officially. Thanks michelob!

02-16-2010 02:09:35 | More by LightEnthusiast
Diane_Brew

Ontario (Canada)

3.94/5  rDev +115.3%

Had this one on a crazy night chillin with the homedogs. Arrrooo!

A: Can't see it in the bottle.

S: Like beer in a bottle with a bit of snot. Second opinion says sweet. Third smell indicates hops.

T: No Molson M. No gross, bitter aftertaste. Kind of like eating yoghurt to cleanse your palette. Leaves a clean taste in your mouth. Perfect for after eating Butterfinger bites.

M: Feels like slightly flattened fountain pop...perfection giggle giggle.

Nobody's gonna lay a finger on my Butterfinger. Or Michelob Ultra for that matter.

04-13-2013 01:11:32 | More by Diane_Brew
pedalist1

3.88/5  rDev +112%

i think this is the PERFECT BEER-if you want to make a new york style egg cream! tried it at a bike race [tubs of it, FREE!] thought to myself, wow, this tastes like real seltzer-high carbonation, not too salty, not much flavor. went home, picked up some Fox's Ubet, 2% milk and a 6-pack. mixed them together and had the best egg cream since i was a kid.

I'm not sure if this is a positive review or a negative, but I keep it in the house all the time now.

06-11-2010 03:46:45 | More by pedalist1
Threelittlefish

3.85/5  rDev +110.4%

If I want a light refreshing beer it's going ot be an Ultra. It's simply the leat offensive of the light beers. Extremely light taste but very smooth with no bitterness. Nicely carbonated. These go down way easy and are refreshng when they are ice cold. Good summer beer when it's brutally hot out and you want to cool off. This beer has it's place.

03-10-2010 10:19:06 | More by Threelittlefish
powoo19

3.75/5  rDev +104.9%

After three days of drinking, I thought Monday Night Football, I should have something lite. This isn't too bad. It is crisp and smooth. The smell is ok, not too impressive, but not bad. Served ice cold, this is good for low carb "diet beer". The colour is real lite, like a rolling rock.But overall I did enjoy this. I won't drink it all the time, but I will go back..
One more thing, the packaging, the bottle ..etc.. definately make you at least want to try it..
Happy Drinking Folks!

11-15-2002 07:09:58 | More by powoo19
yelterdow

3.7/5  rDev +102.2%

Served at fridge temperature in a pilsener glass. Born on 06MAY08 and sampled six weeks later.

Appearance- With a twist of the cap, this beer pours almost perfectly clear... the faintest straw yellow hue peers through what looks like sparkling water. The head stands almost two fingers high, soapy and snow white, then vanishes to a thin, broken mat across the top. There is constant activity in the glass.

Smell- A sharp, vegetal smell reminiscent of husks and cereal, with a straw-like crisp hop presence at the end. There's actually a pleasant, floral sweetness that isn't cloying which surprises me.

Taste- Although weak, the flavors in this beer are remarkably balanced and pleasing for what this is... a "lowly" Light Lager. The cereal notes are forward enough to hit first, but then a hint of grass and flowers gently come forth. The finish is simple and unmemorable, but the resulting taste is easy and not at all bad. I am shocked so far.

Mouthfeel/Drinkability- This begins a bit prickly, but doesn't go wild like others I've tried. It thins out and goes watery after a few seconds in the mouth, which doesn't surprise me. This is the easiest and most enjoyable light beer to drink out of a glass, even after a half hour coming closer to cellar temperature this never became difficult. Craziness.

06-23-2008 00:56:07 | More by yelterdow
industrialswill

Washington

3.7/5  rDev +102.2%

I've heard good things about this beer and decided to give it a try.
This sample is 5 weeks old.
It pours a very pale straw color that darkens after it gasses off.
The smell is faintly floral.
It tastes very nice...mild, but nice. No distinctive flavors, very little bitterness or sweetness, this is just a delicately flavored beer that has great drinkability.
It has a clean mouthfeel, nicely carbonated and enough alcohol to keep it from tasty too watery.

12-08-2011 05:40:59 | More by industrialswill
goodbyesoberday

Australia

3.55/5  rDev +94%

Saw this in a local pub and just had to try it. Pours the lightest I have seen in recent memory, this beer is so pale it looks like it needs a warm dose of chicken soup and some serious bed rest. Spritzy and effervescent, head does not stick around but I would not expect it to.

Low aroma of pilsener malt and cooked corn, similar in flavour with a very low bitterness level; carbonic bite counteracts whatever malt sweetness there is more than hops do. I fancy there's a trickle of spicy hop as the beer warms up but I am not entirely sure. Very light body reflects the pale colour.

I give them big points for producing what they intend and getting it all the way down under with negligible loss in quality. It's clean and wet, not much else to it but importantly to me there are not any faults other than perhaps too fizzy.

03-26-2007 12:02:12 | More by goodbyesoberday
iman99

Louisiana

3.48/5  rDev +90.2%

You know what a long time ago I didn't like this stuff for some reason, but I have drank a lot and I drink all the time

and this stuff even though it has a low alcohol content is actually amazing and taste so clean and beautiful.

this is one of the best beers!! ... if you have the money

01-16-2014 22:51:43 | More by iman99
vkv822

Oregon

3.44/5  rDev +88%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

12 oz : pint

Clear pale golden yellow with a fizzy white head.

Grainy, floral adjunct lager profile in both the aroma and taste.

Medium body, slightly crisp finish, fizzy carbonation.

A decent beer for the style. I enjoyed my bottle for what it was, and it did help pouring in the glass instead of drinking from a bottle as is typically done with this style.

01-27-2014 00:22:06 | More by vkv822
JoLight

Georgia

3.43/5  rDev +87.4%

Pale straw appearance, with a stark-white and soapy head that doesn't retain.

The aroma is rich, from what you can get. Barley, grains, hops, and no adjuncts to my surprise.

The taste, however, is very similar to a flat soft drink. Even though it is very carbonated, it still tastes like a flat soda. There's a slight bite, but it comes from the carbonation. Then the middle and the finish is all white breadiness from the barely malt.

It's very dry, crisp, clean, refreshing.

Almost tasteless. But the taste you do get is very pleasant.

11-24-2011 06:24:55 | More by JoLight
ZenAgnostic

3.43/5  rDev +87.4%

Appearance - Large loose white soapy head with low retention and no stick. Clear pale gold body.

Smell - Corn. Faint malt. Almost odorless.

Taste - Corn and slight bubblegum sweetness. Unlike other beers in this style, there is absolutely no astrimgency, no metallic or other off flavors common in AALs and light lagers.

Mouthfeel - Light. Clean. Mild effervesnce. Best straight from the bottle. Pouring it into a glass ruins the carbonation.

Overall drinkability - Other than the lack of flavor, there are no off characters. Great light beer that pairs well with any dish because it make no attempt to compete or compliment. The black of beers.

12-01-2011 01:07:08 | More by ZenAgnostic
pezoids

3.33/5  rDev +82%

This was a very pale yellow color and very clear. Thin film of a head and left no lace on the glass. The aroma is lemony sour and a little bit musty. Interesting. The taste is surprisingly sweet and actually had some flavor. I was expecting water. Very low bitterness, really, no hop presence. There’s a fruity sweetness and a fine carbonation that tickles the tongue. Not surprisingly, this beer is really light with not much body. Almost none. Overall this is a pretty refreshing light beer. Lacks any kind of depth, but on the surface is light and lemony, and actually becomes more watery as the beer warms up. Went down very easy along with the hot wings I was eating.

Not nearly as bad as I thought it was going to be.

04-15-2004 14:11:07 | More by pezoids
squeezr

3.3/5  rDev +80.3%

Pours a nice golden color, little bit of fast-fading lace, its not bad for a backyard bbq, or a football game type beverage, easy to drink. Worth trying for said occasions, price is maybe a little above average for this type of beer but, I like it better than Bud ice, or Milwaukee's Best.

01-31-2010 00:37:21 | More by squeezr
jjamadorphd

3.26/5  rDev +78.1%
look: 3 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

I had earlier written I would never, ever, drink another light beer again...well, I lied, and for the most part I didn't regret it.

In my younger days, when I didn't know better, I thought Michelob was the best beer could get - ah, the foolishness of youth...anyway, Michelob will always have a special place in my heart, so I when I learned the restaurant had Mich Ultra, and I knew I never tried it, I thought, "What the heck." It pours an average yellow color, and it's head is short and short-lived. It does however have a good bit of lacing, which is surprising. The brew had a distant smell and taste of honey (of all things) mixed with the normal hoppy and malty flavors of a big-brewery beer. Mouthfeel was more than I expected - it was very bold for a light beer - also surprising. Overall, I gave it a slightly above average rating - most likely out of dumb, youthful loyalty seeping into my old age...

If you drink, please don't drive, and if you have to drive, then do us all a favor and don't drink...

05-26-2013 15:54:44 | More by jjamadorphd
badturtle

3.25/5  rDev +77.6%

I can't really smell this. It is light and watery, but for its style, it isn't bad. For beer, it is terrible, but comparing it to other American Macro Lager offerings, not bad. I tried to keep that in mind when making my review. I was at a movie theater, so the cup was frost-colored plastic. Still, from what I could see, it was very light colored and pale. It retained a thin head for a long time. As it warmed, the malts became more defined. It tasted slightly fruity. There was no identifiable hops taste. Given the choice between this and city water, which tastes like a swimming pool, I'd drink this. (That was my choice.)

03-04-2006 04:09:55 | More by badturtle
garymuchow

3.2/5  rDev +74.9%

I have to admit I didn't hate this as much as I thought I would.
Aroma is light spicy hoppy/yeasty that's typical for a light beer.
I'm not sure how mauch paler it can get. Full white fizzy head. Watery clear.
Not much flavor. Slightly acidy bite towards the end. Carbonation seems to contribute. Very short finish, but what is there has a sour quality. Balanced hops and malts.
Fullness from tons of carbonation, otherwise pert near water.
I don't hate this. Considering what it's trying to accomplish it's alright.
I got this for $.10 from a pop maching at the ranch I was staying at in the Black Hills. Nice people. Good trip.
Again scores are in comparison to style, not all beers.

12-12-2004 04:08:10 | More by garymuchow
Guardian

3.2/5  rDev +74.9%

If you are looking for a "good" beer, this is not it. If you are hoping to save a few calories (and especially carbs), this can't be beat. Smell is kind of funky, the taste is quite waterish and it will take about 4 before you feel any buzz whatsoever. Essentially this beer is good for what it was created to be...a low carb macro-brew.

08-22-2006 09:16:42 | More by Guardian

3.2/5  rDev +74.9%

My favorite light beer by a nose...! =)

A: Very clear yellow in color. It looks very diluted, and there isnt much head to speak of. It left no lacing on the glass as I drank it.

S: Not good. I cant describe why, but I just dont like it.

T: This is the only area where this beer shines. It tastes like a beer (mind you a very light one), but a good one. Not bad at all.

M: Forget about it. Water is more filling in your mouth than this is.

D: Good, because it almost like beer flavored water.

Don't get me wrong-I like this brew, but it has few redeeming qualities, and as the reviews show, most if not all agree.

04-26-2008 01:25:33 | More by 1099
mtnbikerpa

3.2/5  rDev +74.9%

Born on date Jan 20 10. I am not bothering to pour this brew in to a glass. No real scent. I am drinking this cold right out of the freezer on a 65 degree spring day. Its hitting the spot. Certainly has a watery mouthfeel. A small amount of cereal and rice flavors. Slighty sweet. Nothing to special here. Will I drink some more? Yea. Not bad stuff.

03-21-2010 20:16:49 | More by mtnbikerpa
bubba41

3.2/5  rDev +74.9%

I appreciate good beer, giving dogfish head 90 minutes IPA a 5/5, but i'm dissapointed to see such low reviews for Mic Ultra. Exactly what did the reviewers expect? This is as advertised: a very light, low carb beer for an active summer (or other season) day when the drinker does not want to feel weighted down/bloated but wants to enjoy a beer. No, this is not the finest craft beer on the planet, but it does not pretend to be. It does not sell itself beyond its label.

11-03-2012 22:25:48 | More by bubba41
tykees88

Indiana

3.18/5  rDev +73.8%

I like this one as a light overall beer. It's one I can just sit around and drink. The overall beer factor of this is it's not going to compare very well with beers on here. But it's a good light beer that's american made for the masses that you can put em down.

02-27-2010 20:46:58 | More by tykees88
WickedSluggy

3.15/5  rDev +72.1%

I have had some of these sitting in the bottom shelf of a pantry since having a party. I have been doing renovations to my house for 9 months. The beer has to be at least that old - at room temperiture.

A - Virginia Slims style can, kind of cute. Pours very pale yellow, fizzy. Foam clings only to the edge of the glass forming a circle when you look down into it.

S - Cold, this beer has little smell. These beers are supposed to be consumed very cold. I don't want to smell it when it gets warm. We all know that smell.

T - The flavor is much more like carbonated water than beers I usually drink. But I think that is the point. This style is supposed to be "ultra" light. It's okay. I'm enjoying it. Nothing nasty. No off flavors. Must be the polysorbate-80 or something.

M - The beer actually has has some body, but not much. Again, I think that the style is intended to be this way.

D - Very drinkable. Good beer-bong fodder.

I drank this to find out weather the rest in my pantry are worth saving for my next party. No reason not to keep it.

08-22-2009 22:13:07 | More by WickedSluggy
SDVargo

3.13/5  rDev +71%
look: 2.25 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

This beer is what it is. Its an extremely light light beer. Drink enough of them, you'll get drunk. Eventually. I first started drinking it because my friend was a fitness guru and was strict about his calorie intake. And yet to this day, it is my go-to light beer. When I want to get drunk, I'm going for this. If I'm going to just enjoy a beer with a full meal, I'm going with a quality non-light beer. To me, Ultra is in a class above Miller Lite, Coors Light, and Bud Light. Honestly, this beer is best enjoyed on a hot day or golfing or if you are trying to lose weight but don't want to throw your entire day's worth of calories out with a couple beers. I do think this beer gets a bit of a bad reputation by people that just discard it as a "chick beer" or "beer-flavored water". If you're drinking it, you have to realize that it is what it is. If you want mountains of flavor, this isn't the beer for you. However for a light beer I do think this one has a great taste. If you are debating whether to try it or not because you're afraid your manhood will be questioned, just try it for yourself and form your own opinion.

10-28-2013 20:30:48 | More by SDVargo