1. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Michelob Ultra - Anheuser-Busch

Michelob UltraMichelob Ultra

awful

awful

Anheuser-Busch visit their website
Missouri, United States

Light Lager |  4.20% ABV

Brewed using the finest barley malt, select grains, all-imported hops and a pure-cultured yeast strain. The special choice of grains combined with the extended mashing process produces a smooth, refreshing beer with fewer carbohydrates.

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 05-19-2002)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Michelob Ultra Alström Bros
2.23/5  rDev +20.5%

Essentially this beer is exactly what you would expect from a beer that advertises itself as the lightest beer on the market. It's probably right.

It looks like sparkling white wine, it has no smell, it has very little taste. the taste it does have is extremely clean. It is no thicker than water in your mouth, it feels almost like a smirnoff ice or something of that nature. I do give it high marks for drinkability, as you could drink this all night without ever getting full.

All in all, this is the second best beer to give to your girlfriend to drink if she refuses to drink beer, behind Labatt Blue Light. Take it for what it is, it certainly it is not the beer drinkers light beer.

2.23/5  rDev +20.5%

As they say - it is what it is - a low calorie light lager. I thought a lot of the calories in beer were from the alcohol - but this beer will make you think the calories were in the flavor - because this beer has no taste. Way too much carbonation and little substance. Don't reach for this beer unless you are on a diet - even then you may just want to have water instead.

2.2/5  rDev +18.9%

12 oz. twist off bottle> 16 oz. SA glass.
"born" on 2/7/08

This is the thinnest looking beer I've ever seen. It's like mildly carbonated white grape juice, not pale gold...not gold at all, it's almost as clear as water. I can see clear across the room through the my glass! A thin, paper-white head comes and goes without much notice...dissolves into a void of nothing....fast. I'm scared.

O.k, after what appears to be only a ghost of a beer the aroma is not bad. Very sweet malt, even , mildly fruity, like fermented raspberries. A tangy, sour yeast follows with corn fields and grains.

So, this stuff is supposed to be "light" and that pretty much sums up the flavor factor, but there is some note worthy elements...a tangy, wheatie malt...the sweetness does not pop out like in the aroma but the corn and grains sure do. sour ripe white grapes is still there which actually adds some "complexity" to this. I can't really detect the hops, but most of the flavors are very subdued. It's really a tangy, wheat flavor that pops out most.

"Ultra" light body, although it keeps it's crispness better than some other's of it's kind.

The quality seems to diminsih with every passong minute. Overall: don't bother.

2.2/5  rDev +18.9%

Appearance: Flat, yellow, carbonated water.

Smell: Metallic grains and lots of carbon gas.

Taste/Mouthfeel: Lots of metallic water and some stale beery grains.

Drinkability: Decently refreshing at a hot ballgame.

Overall: Bud Light's actually better.

2.2/5  rDev +18.9%

Drank this from slim cans.
The look is usually really light yellow if you ever had it on draft, but slim cans are exceptionally poundable.
Smell is right upfront, you can tell it's super light and sorta tingly.
Taste is stronger than what is expected, very easy to pair foods with.
The mouthfeel is tingly if you don't let it sit around for longer than five minutes.
Overall I will drink this beer with ease when offered for free, probably on a golf trip.

2.2/5  rDev +18.9%

A- Looks like yellow tinged water with bubbles, there was a thin white head that disappeared within seconds.
S- Mild malts, but other than that almost no scent.
T- Slightly malty body, with a light crispness at the finish...there really was not much more to detect.
M/D- This beer was very light(hence how it is marketed), almost water like in body with high carbonation. I could see how you might drink this on a hot day to cool down, but not too much for the pure enjoyment factor.

2.2/5  rDev +18.9%

I'm going to review this for what it should be - just a specialty niche product. It's only suitable for people on low carbohydrate diets.
It's not anything special, but it's not horrible if it's one of the only things you can have.
As can be expected, the color is straw, the head is non-existant, and the taste is corn.

2.2/5  rDev +18.9%

Presentation: 12 oz. bottle into a standard pint glass. The wife bought this for herself, but for some reason, I can't resist trying and reviewing.

A- Pours incredibly clear....almost no color, save a mild golden hue. Huge pure white head, which fades rapidly to but a thin cap.

S- Bizarre. Slightly metallic, with a hint of crisp corn juice.

T- Almost nothing. Like water with a slight twist of lemon added. No sweetness and no bitterness. I'm actually amazed that there is alcohol in this at all. That being said, I don't think the "1" is appropriate here; this isn't awful flavor, it just simply isn't flavor at all, which is something distinctly different from "awful." Of course, there isn't anything "good" here either...

M- Crisp like a drink of cold water. As easy going down as one would expect water to be.

D- Well, this is hard to quantify. There is nothing good about the taste or smell other than that they aren't offensive...this is a "get drunk low-cal style" only beer.

Future outlook: Nah...not unless I'm looking to turn back the clock to college times and get drunk on alcoholic water.

2.2/5  rDev +18.9%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.5

Michelob, its not my idea of ultra. It reminds me of a Pabst NA I used to drink. That means this beer is drinkable but....most likely with the ladies or folks who really watch those calories and are willing to make do. The carbonation is very high. It births a very fizzy, short lived head with no lace or film. The color is gold but looks flat and watery soon. Truth is, don't let the beer sit and go do something else, because it does flatten-out very quickly.

Hahahha, hahah, hahah.

This has to be the least offending beer to the pitiful American palate ever made.

Pours an ultra light straw with a white head that fizzles to nothing. Active carbonation.

Smells a bit like grain, but its very faint.

Upfront ultra light malt presence with a fragment of grain, and the ever so briefest flash of the possibly 5 or 6 IBUs of bitterness. Finishes a touch sweet.

Water thin body.

I could drink glass after glass of this, and I don't find anything wrong with the flavor, however, this does not qualify to be a beer by any means. It is the closest to water that you will ever get, except that you get drunk eventually. Michelob ultra symbolizes all that is wrong with the beer industry.

2.17/5  rDev +17.3%

This pours the palest of straw colours. Almost devoid of colour. That doesn't bode well. Clear. Fluffy white head. Minimal retention.

There is a slight grainy aroma but that's it the smell went with the colour.

3 out of 3. No flavour either! Well done A-B. The brewers have obviously scene the Monty Python skit about American beer being like making love in a canoe and decided to make it true.

Perversely I have given this a very high drinkability rating because I think if I was after a beer to drink by the bucket until I was rotten drunk then this would be right up there. As it tastes of nothing it would be very hard to get sick of it.

2.17/5  rDev +17.3%

Extremely light yellow color beer. Almost like water with lemon juice squirted in it... Very short lived head. An extremely subtle grain smell, and taste is one of the lightest of any beer I've ever had. Not bad tasting, but closer to water than beer as far as the taste. Still, I'd rather drink this over some other beers, actually.

2.17/5  rDev +17.3%

One of my BMC drinking friends brought a sixer of these and Budweiser over for a barbecue. I was broke and didn't complain.

Poured out of a bottle with a born on date of June 25, 2008 with an oh so pale body. This has to be the thinnest of all of the AB products I have seen, I have yet to see Bud Select though.
Displayed a soda like, egg shell white head that disappeared very quickly like most other macros.

A light aroma of corn (of course) was present and actually I think I detected a hint of malt in there somewhere.

I was very surprised to find that this beer had a light, crisp, refreshing flavor. I would venture to say that it even tasted better than Bud Light. It finishes Ultra clean, pun intended.

With the St. Louis temperature being about 100 degrees on the day that I reviewed this, it was easy to imagine killing an ice cold 6 pack of these, especially if there weren't any flavorful beers around.

2.17/5  rDev +17.3%

Pours a straw golden pale empty nothingness. Not much of a head to speak of and what is there is gone soon after. Smells like water with a splash of beer. Kinda of muted all around. Taste is halfway decent for macro lagers. I like it better than the few others I've had. Mouthfeel is very light and empty. Only a slighty dirty, grainy mouthfeel can describe it. Drinkability is fairly low although it's supposed to be light and easy to drink. I'd much rather buy some Yuengling and enjoy that for about the same price than drink this for an evening.

2.17/5  rDev +17.3%

Michelob Ultra came served on tap in a pint glass, it was a typical macro yellow with no head. Smells and tastes like corn. It's just not very good. Drinkable at ice cold temperatures, preferably on a hot day. In other words, lawnmower beer. Not recommended.

2.17/5  rDev +17.3%

I could go through every category and describe this beer but that would be a waste of time. I guess it's ok if you're looking to cut some calories or carbs, but for the beer enthusiast it offers very little that you couldn't get from a bud, miller, or coors light, which are equally as bland, they just sport a smaller price tag. Save your money.

2.15/5  rDev +16.2%

Pours an absolutely crystal-clear, and exceptionally-pale straw colored body. Streams of standard-sized, fast-rising bubbles are quite noticeable and help to support it's good-sized, foamy, bright-white head. Its retention is surprisingly good and it leaves a very nice ring of lace at the outset, and then some decent lace throughout the glass. The aroma leaves something to be desired with a thin huskiness that detracts from it's very lightly grainy malt note. The body is light; and the creamy head lends a bit of softness to the crisp and effervescent carbonation that follows. As it releases it's gas it becomes even softer, and somewhat creamy in the mouth; but it's a trade-off because the carbonation actually helps to enhance the flavor that's there. The flavor is limited, but what else could be expected of a beer that's labelled as a "low carbohydrate light beer". There's some thin grainy malt present, and it's surprisingly well-balanced by a subtle interwoven bitterness, yet it seems lacking. It finishes almost without notice. Still, it's clean and refreshing. It might make a good beer at an outdoor sporting event in the summer, but other than that I don't think it has enough character to keep it interesting throughout even one bottle.

2.15/5  rDev +16.2%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2

A - Pourss bright yellow with a finger and a half of white head. No lacing.

S - Smells like corn. That's about it.

T - Very simple and straight forward. Corn upfront, rice adjunct in the finish, and slight asparagus in the aftertaste. Actually not terrible for how light the beer is.

M - Light body with heavy carbonation. Adds a corn flake type flavor into the mix as well.

O - Overall, Not the worst thing I have ever had. Certainly better than Stroh's and some other adjuncts, but that isn't really saying much.

2.15/5  rDev +16.2%

Michelob ultra's Biggest competition is obviously Budweiser select. Both beers come in at right under 100 cal, and are intended to win over the weight-conscious crowd. I personally am trying to drop about 40 pounds, and so I tend to buy these watered-down diet adjunct beers on occasion. Michelob ultra is the best of these kinds of beers. It taste like a light beer, but it's an ultra light. Not great, but not horrible.

2.15/5  rDev +16.2%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 2.5

First, I should say that I'm an aspiring beer snob who has been forced to go on a low-carbohydrate diet. I had been drinking Coors Light and Miller Light, but could not pass up the 2.6 carbs offered by Michelob Ultra. Michelob Ultra is by no means a craft beer. Heck, it has trouble stacking up to most national brews. But the main reason I judged this beer so low is because it's lacking in just about every department. It poors a faint yellow, with a short-lived head. The bouquet is pretty much non-existent (smells like a dried empty beer bottle). The taste is faint, but drinks easily.

I had hoped that Michelob Ultra would be the brew that I could use to introduce my wife to beer. But, after gagging on half a sip, she commented that it "tasted like her parents' bar used to smell". I suppose that if the daughter of former bar-owners doesn't like beer by mid-life, chances are she never will.

It took me a long time to admit publicly that I like the BeeGees. Admitting to buying and drinking Michelob Ultra is just as difficult for me. But I will continue, until Sam Adams comes out with a 2.6 carb beer (hopefully better than their current light offering).

2.13/5  rDev +15.1%

served in an American pint glass

A-very clear only a hint of pale yellow color and a white rocky head that only last for a few seconds. High carbonation

S- a faint sweet smell with the hint of green apples. No hops or malt detected

T- a very dry crisp flavor with no malt and very dry finish. a faint hop bitterness or maybe its just a slight acidity that is like carbonated water taste.

M- a light body that has a carbonated fizzyness to it.

D- If I rated this solely on the BJCP style guidelines it would have been a high rating for its class but I just don't get any malt or hops or even adjunct flavors because it is so light. It is refreshing to drink but it’s not my choice when I want to drink "beer".

2.13/5  rDev +15.1%

One pint brown plastic long-neck bottle, complete with a twist-off aluminum cap and a Born on Date:10AUG06.

This gem of a macro pours almost clear (very pale yellow) with lots of forced carbonation and a short lived white foam head that leaves nary a trace of lace.

The smell is very sweet of malt and corn adjuncts with notes of Double Bubble gum and dust.

It tastes like a blend of soda and quinine water, not nearly as sweet as it smells. Very macro bland malt flavor... watery with a fairly clean finish.

Very uneventful light body that is fizzy, watery and made for the masses that don't mind this style...where's the alcohol?

2.13/5  rDev +15.1%

The bottle is so decieving..

It's like "DRINK ME! I am a creation of the beer Gods."

But then you taste it and you are like "That jerk lied to me!"

I was encouraged by every frat-boy, tailgater and party boys to try this and that is was amazing. I refrained because I am more of a full-bodied beer guy, myself..
Alas, I was at a Liquor store and was feeling generous and I picked up a six-pack along with my regular 12 pack of Budweiser...

Boy, was that a waste of $8! I ended up giving it away to my cousin because I could barely stomach the bottle I had and moved on to bigger and better things. (Budweiser)

Michelob Ultra from Anheuser-Busch