Michelob Ultra - Anheuser-Busch

Anheuser-Busch visit their website
Missouri, United States

Light Lager |  4.20% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 05-19-2002

Brewed using the finest barley malt, select grains, all-imported hops and a pure-cultured yeast strain. The special choice of grains combined with the extended mashing process produces a smooth, refreshing beer with fewer carbohydrates.
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Michelob Ultra Alström Bros
Reviews: 564 | Hads: 2,022
2.22/5  rDev +19.4%
look: 2.25 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.25

A - Extremely pale straw in color. Highly carbonated. Very fast rising bubbles. Carbonation results in a soft drinking appearance. Head dissipates completely within about 30 seconds of pouring. 2.25/5

S - Rice and extremely light base malt. More yeast aroma than malt. 2/5

T - Watered down cereal and yeast. Maybe just a hint of white bread. Slightly metallic aftertaste? 2.25/5

M - Very light and crisp with a drying astringency. Disappears almost as soon as it touches the tongue. Very carbonated, almost soft drinkish. 2.5/5

O - Ultra light beer that has almost no body. Nice for cooling down on a hot day or if you're wanting a little bit of beery flavor to go with a burger or brat. Other than that, not much appeal here. 2.25/5 (756 characters)

2.84/5  rDev +52.7%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3

12 oz. bottle poured into a nonic pint glass.

Look: Vigorous pour into glass brought a big head that faded fast to a ring of foam where the beer meets the glass. Very little lacing. Extremely pale yellow in color. Quite transparent.
Smell: Faint smell of cooked grains and vegetables.
Taste: Hints of slight bitterness. Banana, rice, corn, malt. Nothing outstanding or dominant.
Feel: Thin, slighlty milky feel on tongue when beer gets swished in my mouth. Real easy on the carbonation.
Overall: A light beer for the days when I am at a gathering and will be drinking more than a couple. It gets a bad rap for not having any flavor. While not the most flavorful light beer on the market, it's far from being the worse. (725 characters)

2.04/5  rDev +9.7%

Taste reminiscent of a Coors Light but less syrupy and less dry. Nice smoky grainy feel in the aftertaste. Still highly corny and strong on the sugar. Faint flavors and thin body. Refreshing on a hot summer day, pointless in any other situations. (246 characters)

2.8/5  rDev +50.5%

Not good, but there are worse American adjunct lagers. Here goes:

A: Gold, well-carbonated. Actually leaves OK lacing.

S: Mostly corn, but not as bad as that of other AAL's. Can actually get some lightly-kilned barley and mild hops.

T: Follows the nose. Some hops and barley on a mostly corn background.

F: Smooth and crisp. OK.

O: OK for what it is. Comparable to Budweiser. Better than Miller and Heineken. (425 characters)

1.25/5  rDev -32.8%
look: 1.25 | smell: 1.25 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 1.25 | overall: 1.25

Anyone so concerned about their weight that they might stoop to drinking this should just give up and drink a shot of vodka mixed in seltzer or diet tonic water. (161 characters)

3.04/5  rDev +63.4%

Actually thought it was pretty decent. bottle was God knows how old with a faded and crinkling label out of the bottom of my Grandmother's fridge, so maybe it gets better with age? But for a cheap easy to find light beer was easy to go down and had a decent taste. Far better than most cheap American piss water. (312 characters)

Piss water. Drank it out of a can after a 5k. No idea about look or lacing. Tastes like typical macro-brewed piss water. Got 2 cans free, only drank one. Don't ever wanna drink this garbage again. What little flavor it had tasted artificial. Reminds me of a watered-down Coors Light. (284 characters)

1.06/5  rDev -43%

Oh my. This is the drink that my friends have while golfing. I really don't see why you wouldn't drink water 1 : 1 with an actual beer instead of drinking this. If you need to count calories that bad, just skip about 250 calories worth of food in a day and enjoy a decent beer...... (282 characters)

1.75/5  rDev -5.9%
look: 1.75 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 1.75

Strictly old lady beer or beer you drink while fishing or mowing. But with only 10 less calories that other nane brand light beers I can't tell a difference. I mean when was beer marketed as a health drink. Good for getting a buzz and not feeling too bad the next day. The bottles are good for hitting road signs (312 characters)

2.57/5  rDev +38.2%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

Poured from a 12 OZ bottle into a pint glass.
Aroma- you have got to be kidding, not much here
Appearance- It has an OK golden color but no head.
Taste- It has some beer flavor but not much.
Palate- A light bodied beer with moderate carbonation.
Overall- This beer is for yardwork, fishing or heavy session drinking. with that said it ain't bad for those events. (363 characters)

2.61/5  rDev +40.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3

This is really not that bad. It tastes like water but I don't mind that, sometimes I just need a beer that doesn't have a strong flavor. I like the bottle design too. This is overall not a bad choice, definitely better than Bud Light. (234 characters)

Not as bad as some of these reviews would indicate. I'm not a ABI or MillerCoors fan at all but when I'm at someone's house for a barbecue and its hot and humid as hell this isn't a bad choice. Time and place I suppose. (219 characters)

3.53/5  rDev +89.8%

This is the beer I go to when I just want to get a cold, refreshing buzz without the bitterness of full flavor beer or the alcohol kick of liquor. Not much going for it in terms of character. I drink carbonated water daily and this simply feels like a hoppy, alcoholic version of that. I would say that it's deceptively strong for its watered down taste. (354 characters)

4.68/5  rDev +151.6%

I am a fan of domestic light beer, and this is my goto. The bros insist waitresses card me when I order, claiming you can't order Ultra unless you are under 21. But I can't help myself, this is what I like. I can drink these all night with no damage. If you like flavor or a buzz, stay away - this aint THAT brew. This is for guys like me who harvest flavor from the enchiladas, and seek refreshment from my brew. (418 characters)

Unbiased, this was honestly the worst experience I have ever had drinking beer in my life. I'd rather pour this down the drain than finish one. Probably the worst beer I have ever had. (184 characters)

1.51/5  rDev -18.8%
look: 1 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.25 | overall: 1.5

Pours a near translucent yellow with little to no head. The scent had a bit of rice on it but nothing much. The taste was terribly mild with only some rice in the beginning. Not a fan. (184 characters)

1.93/5  rDev +3.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 2 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 1.75

I can actually enjoy a bud light or miller lite.. And i do more often then most on this website I'm sure.. Was left 10 from 18 pack I got from are room neighbor while on vacation at the beach.. We ran outa bud and started on these.. This has got to be the worst beer in ever tasted.. When people say that bud or miller light have no taste I roll my eyes a little because they maintain some kind of beer flavor.. This stuff is pure water no sweetness no bitterness nothing I tasted more from the side of can.. Which makes it even more nasty since it makes this water taste like metal.. Worst beer in ever had. (608 characters)

3.25/5  rDev +74.7%

Not Bad

This is what you drink when you've been drinking so much beer that your belly is starting to show it. It's also relatively inexpensive. It's not fantastic. You're not going to sing alabanzas. But it's not bad for a light beer. (239 characters)

2.57/5  rDev +38.2%
look: 1.75 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.75

Pours a nice golden color but no head whatsoever and very light carbonation. Smells like every other adjunct lager. A lot of carbonation going down and more flavor than most like beers. So far my second favorite light lager after Busch light.....if i had to choice. Favorite...using the term lightly that is. (308 characters)

2.01/5  rDev +8.1%

Purchased a 473ml can for $2.50. Served at 4deg C in a draught glass

A- Opens well and pours a 1.5" white head that is gone in 10sec. Clear very light gold

S- This beer's saving grace. Has a light pleasant scent that seems to linger in the nose. Light malt

T- Not good at all. Has a decent first hit of light malt but then an unusual bitterish and metallic. Fizzy water really

M- Not so good. It's light but fizzy water

O- Not so good. Guess if you want to control you weight this beer is for you but otherwise pass.

Food Pairing

This ho hum beer goes with...... Anything you would pair a Bud with

Enjoy (612 characters)

This used to be one of my favourite beers when I didn't like the bitterness, I went back to taste it again, well, definitely is not something precious, but I don't think that is so bad as the scores here, it might just be for different kind of drinkers, yes, it's actually too soft and almost like drinking water, but there are some people who like this kind of beer, so if you like it go for it. (396 characters)

Wow, this place is loaded with snobs. Beer enthusiasts are getting bad raps because of haters that crap on everything that isn't 100 ibus. Beer is beer, folks are getting snobbier than the wineos at my restaurant. It's a cheap, clean beer meant to be drank out of a can, on the golf course, around a fire, or just when you dont feel like sinking 12-16 bucks on a six pack. It is what it is beer snobs. (401 characters)

4.5/5  rDev +141.9%

I am not sure why people dislike it so much. For 20 bottles it was 12$. Great buy. It is a great beer to relax and drink with. It does the trick but it has decent quality and taste when you compare it to other light beers in the same price range. It has a sweet taste that doesn't linger. (288 characters)

I have friends who buy nothing but this stuff and I will never understand why.

The appearance and taste are not remarkable. Pale gold look with almost no distinctive taste. I see people saying they detect hints of certain things but i can't honestly say I tasted anything worth noting.

Look, I love beer. So if I'm offered one I will probably take it. But I would buy natural ice before I bought this stuff. Hey, at least nattie ice will give you a buzz with the 5.9% abv. I once drank 30 mich ultras during a canoe trip and wasn't even drunk at the end. If you want to have something in your hand, but don't want taste or to get drunk...this is the beer for you. (668 characters)

1.72/5  rDev -7.5%

Pale gold and light straw body; big fizzy head that rapidly fades to a bare wisp; lots of lively carbonation bubbles. Mild citrus and green grass aroma. Bright, watery cereal grain flavor with only a feeble sense of hop bitterness. Light, dry body; coarse due to the big bubble carbonation.

An outstanding beer as long as you want something that's a notch above swill and aren't really for any true beer taste or smell experience. Highly recommended for those who can't stand the idea of drinking anything with substance! (522 characters)

Michelob Ultra from Anheuser-Busch