2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Michelob Ultra - Anheuser-Busch

Michelob UltraMichelob Ultra

awful

awful

Anheuser-Busch visit their website
Missouri, United States

Light Lager |  4.20% ABV

Brewed using the finest barley malt, select grains, all-imported hops and a pure-cultured yeast strain. The special choice of grains combined with the extended mashing process produces a smooth, refreshing beer with fewer carbohydrates.

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 05-19-2002)
View: Beers (76) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Michelob Ultra Alström Bros
Ratings: 1,479 | Reviews: 528 | Show All Ratings:
EagleTalon

Arkansas

This is not a beer. This is barely even a malt beverage. It has the color and carbonation of champagne, a winey/cheap champagne nose, a mouthfeel similar to mineral water and virtually no taste. It even feels like water as it settles into in my stomach. That's just not right. When you can actually smell the alcohol in a low alcohol beer (4.1%abv, 3.2%abw, same as the OK and UT requirements for convenience store brew) IT AIN'T FRIGGIN' BEER! It is so devoid of taste that it will actually help sales of beers like Sam Adams Light. Lite beer drinkers will eschew this tasteless Ultra crap en masse and ask the barkeep for a light beer with flavor. Then they will taste the Sam Light and howl uncontrollably and cause some poor guy to get a dart planted in his buttocks...

10-07-2002 21:28:11 | More by EagleTalon
Dogbrick

This is either one of the worst beers I have ever tasted, or one of the best seltzer waters. Maybe I would try it again if I had a stubborn stain on my clothes. Keep drinking it to lose weight people!

11-22-2002 15:13:33 | More by Dogbrick
maxpower

Missouri

Pale light yellow color, fizzy white head, not much aroma(chemical), like seltzer water, clean but no flavor, sad AB has to resort to this, I guess this one is for Ultra fitness freaks that shave their chest. I gave this one the lowest rating, I would much rather drink water, it really sucks.

12-08-2002 13:54:21 | More by maxpower
goindownsouth

There is a reason why 1.0 on our score here equals awful. This beer offers almost nothing that I can constructively critique. There is no aroma whatsoever, aside from some remnants of fermentation I suppose. However, there is some hint of flavor at the very onset of the sip. But that quickly dissippates into a bitter and bordering on nasty taste. That is not even including the after-taste. I know beer makers have to try to remain on the cutting edge, but the only thing that is being cut, after drinking this brew, is wind.

12-22-2002 17:48:21 | More by goindownsouth
hotstuff

Indiana

This beer poured a large white frothy head with small bubbles that fully diminished. There was a lot of fizzy carbonation in this beer. The body was clear and the hue was pale yellow. The aroma was skunky and there was virtually no flavor to this beer. The mouthfeel was very watery and thin.

07-02-2003 11:06:18 | More by hotstuff
WVbeergeek

There has to be something wrong with this beer... it's skunked right? That is the major response that I hear working at an outdoor summer concert venue when poured, after trying this beer just now I can honestly say I understand what they mean. In all reality this beer is not beer it's a bastardized marketing concept by a conglomerate of a big business in the brewing industry of a USA mass produced, dumb down American light lagers. Marketed as the "low carbohydrate" light beer to pair with the ongoing trend of the Atkins diet, so if you ask me this beer is going to die just the same as all trends do and mark my words if this ever becomes a staple of the brewing industry of this country I may just find my way to another place. Smooth and refreshing lager beer this is false advertisement, but here goes my description pours quite a few shades short of golden with a highly carbonated artificial fizzy white head leaving no lace, sad looking. Aroma very mild hop aroma some sweetness and light cooked veggie tones with an nonexisting aroma might as well be carbonated water. Taste offensive in all regards tries to pass of shitty piss water as a "lager beer" with a harsh nonrefreshing cooked veggie psuedo hop profile that I could only pray would taste like water instead of it's current form. Mouthfeel is of over carbonated seltza water with the drinkability of urine.

07-08-2003 23:44:20 | More by WVbeergeek
francisweizen

Arizona

This isn't beer as it pours the colour of carbonated seltzer water. The aroma is of water, and carbonation, as is the taste. NO hops, NO malts, NO "beer flavor". Mouthfeel is that of water, but the drinkability is non-existant! The fact that this stuff sells so well, just shows how many people are slaves to marketing. If you are on ATKINS just drink water, don't spend $17 a case for this junk...or hey, if you really like beer, go with Amstel light! That has only 95 calories and 5 carbs, and it actually has...get this...beer flavor to it!

09-25-2003 01:49:10 | More by francisweizen
waughbrew

Palest yellow I have ever seen, not appetizing in the least. The head has some retention, probably because it is so light, gravity has no effect on it. There is absolutely no aroma at all. I practically snorted some just to be able to say something about it, but to no avail. The taste just sucks. Subtle husky grain and C02 bitterness. I swear this is club soda or seltzer water. Goddamn, this is a miracle of science to be able to make something with 4%alcohol look and taste like carbonated water.

12-31-2003 14:58:03 | More by waughbrew
CBFanWish

Here I am at a gallery opening and I'm reviewing beer. What has the world come to?
Anyway, among the really good beers that I have been drinking for the past hour now, I had to try the infamous Mic Ultra. Of all the beers in the world, this one should be casted away to some island. Even Crazy Ed's Cave Creek is better than this because it's original. This is a joke. It has a super pale transparent yellow colour with no head. The smell was non-exsistant as was the taste. Obviously cutting carbs means cutting taste and quality.

03-12-2004 21:25:24 | More by CBFanWish
nortmand

Why?
This spits in the face of beer heritage. Beer is not meant to be like this, and if you are drinking this to lose weight, you are not forgiven.
Plus, it was one of the first indication of the low carb trend, so this beer has a special place in Hell.
Anyways, pale yellow, with little white head, no aroma, no flavor, no body. Thin and flavorless, mostly carbonation flavor.
Would make a good fix if you ran out of soda water for scotch and soda.

06-04-2004 19:33:32 | More by nortmand
maccroz

Cambodia

Embarrassingly, I've tried this shit. What a pitiful excuse for a "beer". Low carb beer? It's worse than decaf coffee. It's worse than sugar-free candy. It's even worse than non-alcoholic beer. It's like seltzer water that got left for 20 years in a septic tank. Nasty shit. Atkins people are going to be the death of modern society.

10-14-2004 01:16:46 | More by maccroz
AlexJ

I have better lacing and head retention when I pour a can of Sprite. The only differance is that I would drink the Sprite! PS, I only looked to see if this "beer" was listed because I was certain it wouldn't have been. I have to go drink a 90 Minute now and forget about the horrors I have witnessed here today.

11-27-2004 20:33:00 | More by AlexJ
sachsich

South Carolina

if any of you who are beer advocates like this beer, then you should be ashamed. so light that you can see through it, no head, no taste, no nothing. you dont even save yourself calories or whatever if you were to drink a real beer. it should be taken off of the isle forever

12-30-2004 02:34:52 | More by sachsich
DaPeculierDane

Wisconsin

When I used to wait tables at an Italian joint we carried this stuff. I sold tons of it one summer during the height of the low-carb craze.

A lot of people loved it, although, that's too general. A lot women, no...still too general, a lot of really, really trashy 38-45 year-old women with stretch lines, bad dye jobs, and huge bangs loved this beer. They would drink like 5 or 6 of them with meals, which they would order like this:

“Hi, I'd like this rigatoni only can you add cheese and extra sausage and hold the pasta?”

Freaks! Who goes to an Italian restaurant and says "hold the pasta." People who like this liquid made my job difficult and that's reason enough to trash it.

The other reason is that it is not beer in any way, shape, or form.

Some folks might say that its drinkable but since it’s basically water and can’t give you a buzz no matter how much you drink, I’m giving it a one. I’d rather drink water and so this is obviously the most undrinkable beer ever.

Bring on the Natty Ice, I’ll take that hangover over this swill anytime.

09-26-2005 18:12:39 | More by DaPeculierDane
mynie

Indiana

The pale-est. whitest beer I've ever seen. Seltzer with a slight yellow tint.

Smells like feet and adjunct metal. Born On date says September, so there's no way it's expired.

Tastes like water and nasty feet. Nothing comes close to resembling a beer, and nothing comes close to tasting good.

The pain of the fizz mixed with the horrible flavor made me dump this out drinking less than half of it. This is an incredibly bad beer, and not in the usual macro "tastes like nothing" sense. This actually tastes like feet.

10-22-2005 18:14:21 | More by mynie
jasonjlewis

My dad had this for a while because my mom made him drink it due to the low amount of carbs.
This is water. There is no color to it, there is no aroma, there is nothing. It's called ULTRA LIGHT for a reason. There is an ULTRA LOW amount of beer quality in this beer. If you want a low carb beer go for miller lite.

04-11-2006 00:05:53 | More by jasonjlewis
bigdeuce

This is the worst beer of all time. Avoid if possible!! No hops, all water, no flavor. Makes you wanna vomit. Michelob dry was good, and not available any longer, this watered down mess is the residual of carb nutheads gone wild! Not recommended whatsoever!

04-24-2006 23:41:42 | More by bigdeuce
pmcadamis

Note: I'm only reviewing this because it was free.
A - Clear lemon juice color that is really more or less colorless. Absolutely no head....even with an agressive pour. A tiny collar of soapy bubbles rings the glass.

S - Doesn't smell like anything really. Only the faintest hint of macro lager adjucts can be detected. This really has no smell at all.

T - Seltzer water. I've never had a beer that was quite as bland and tasteless as this one. I can't really say that it tastes bad because it really doesn't taste like anything at all.

M - Seltzer water. Ridiculously carbonated and as thin as water.

D - If you are thirsty, this is as good as water. This is no real beer though. For someone just looking to get drunk with as little interference from the tastebuds as possible, this is you weapon of choice. I'll never drink this again.

02-18-2007 15:40:45 | More by pmcadamis
bluemoonswoon

12oz bottle with no freshness date.

I've heard bad things about this beer and I've had bad beers in my time but there is no excuse for this abomination. I can understand Miller Chill I can understand Bud Light and Smirnoff Ice but this, this just makes no sense, why drink this? Just to say you had a beer? I mean this isn't beer it's water with a crushed up oyster cracker in it, a single cracker that's it.

A: Didn't even pour this one in a glass. Think it looks better in the bottle than out of it. But from what I've heard it's lighter than light, even as light beers go.

S: Like I said before fizzy water with a tiny bit of salt and cracker.zzz

T/MF: You don't so much taste this beer as you do feel is slide down your throat. It bubbles like Club Soda and tastes just the same. I just more taste when I burp five hours after eating pizza than from sipping this beer. No taste, not a single remotly beer like quality to this thing.

D: Under no circumstances should anyone, ever, drink this beer. Stick with Michelob and forget this thing even exists.

07-24-2007 06:46:23 | More by bluemoonswoon
tronester

Oklahoma

Pours a super pale yellow with a thin white head. Smells of stale grain. Taste is of rust, with a faint whisper of malt. This beverage is so light that you can even slightly taste alcohol. Mouthfeel is incredibly watery, carbonation high. Usually with a light lager, drinkability is somewhat high, but not with this beer. It doesn't taste like beer IMO, rusty carbonated water is more like it. Truly terrible, even compared to other light beers I have had. I had a Miller Lite before this and in comparison it seems full flavored, and had about as many calories, and a much lower price. So for those looking for a diet beer, look elsewhere. For lovers of craft beer, this is the anti-thesis.

Avoid!

08-10-2008 21:33:00 | More by tronester
corby112

This beer is bland and just plain awful.

Pours a very light watery golden yellow with thin fizzy white head that quickly dissapears. Aroma consists mostly of corn and frat house hallways. Very watered down with extremely bland corn flavor. Very light and nasty the whole way through. Disgusting!

11-27-2008 09:28:43 | More by corby112
jdense

Oregon

My Tuesday night drinking partner's libation of choice. On a dare (and trying to give my taste buds a break from Terminal Gravity IPA) I decided to try one bottle. In the end, I came up with a rather astute observation for my buddy: Why bother??

I understand carb and calorie counting, but I'd rather become a Belgian Monk :) then to drink this god-awful swill. The anti-beer for any self-respecting BA. Ugh.

01-30-2009 05:56:40 | More by jdense
woodychandler

I CAN't believe that there are no previous reviews to edit! I just reviewed this ULTRA-nothing beer the other day and now I have to subject myself to it again. Boo hoo.

As with many macros in a CAN, it pours with a decent finger-and-a-half of bone-white head with decent retention. The really striking aspect of this "beer" is its color - Holy Urine, Batman, my stream this morning was darker than this! It was an ULTRA-pale lemon-yellow with ULTRA NE-quality clarity. Hell, I could see through walls with this one! The nose had a slight cereal quality, but that was after repeated sniffs, trying to discern even something worth mentioning. ULTRA ho-hum! Mouthfeel was light, airy, ULTRA smooth, almost like I was not even drinking water, no, air, no, beer. Oh that's right, I was supposed to be drinking beer. Well, you could not prove it by this concoction. ULTRA boring. Finish was ULTRA non-existent. Wow. Give this a wide berth unless ULTRA boredom is your bag.

Serving type: can

10-31-2009 01:33:53 | More by woodychandler
Phyl21ca

Quebec (Canada)

Bottle: Poured a super light yellow color lager with a thin bubbly head that disappeared very quickly. Aroma of very light adjunct and water. Taste is lighter then Coors light which I didn't' though was possible with light adjunct and very little else to note. Body is closer to Perrier then any other beer I drank before. One of the blandest beer I have drank in my life.

11-22-2009 03:52:38 | More by Phyl21ca
newcastleme

This is nothing but carbonated water with a little alcohol mixed in. I really don't even consider this beer a 'social' beer. It's a disappointment. Michelob does have several other selections that are respectable. I consider this one to have one of the worst taste's of any beer I've tried.

07-20-2010 04:34:42 | More by newcastleme